[Junk XIII] Laid to Rest (K 5.6, S 5.8)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
A couple weeks have passed since the explosion at the infirmary.

Stitch,

You woke up in a clean hospital bed, Metro by your side. Janco put you in a medical coma to help with the skin grafts and the surgeries. She did a damn good job helping you stabilize, but you'll wear some of those scars on your legs for the rest of your life. You're at 6 o'clock right now.

Roll +Sharp to see how things in the Infirmary have been going. On a 10+, choose which one is true. On a 7-9, choose which two are true. On a miss, they're all true.
* The meds used for Ollie's chemo are running low; you need to operate in the next few days or get Nezzy to send out a raiding party for more supplies
* Sapphire waited for four days, but she became frustrated and killed the men keeping Sunkist in that little prison; nobody has seen her or her brother since
* The lift is slagged and beyond repair, folks will have to take the stairs access or ladders to get to the infirmary without a complete rebuild of the system

Kiddo,

Did you attend the mass funeral for Audi and the people who attacked the Brig? I assume not, right?

But you did attend Jemma's funeral, which was held the night after her death. Hump, VB, even Zero came out just long enough to watch the Candies set her corpse up on her bike outside in the scrub, then light her up. Her bike went up in an impressive conflagration, just like Jemma would have liked it. Hump and VB were a mess, Zero just watched with an impassive look on her face. Hell, she may not even believe its true anymore.

Spree sent a ferryman back to Boomtown for the rest of the gang, including Abba and Zabba. They're due any day now. Did you ask her to bring anyone else along? Your crew has been given a sector of the ship that was abandoned and has minimal power. They can stay there and try to fix it up, or live in the brig on level eleven with you and Ollie. Where do you have them staying?

Let's see how running security with the Candies and Nezzy's crew has been going. Roll +Cool On a hit, choose which options are true.
On a 10+, choose two, on a 7-9, choose one. On a miss, none are true, it's been a rough fortnight.
* You've paid your girls and picked a little jingle on the side, +1 jingle for you and the Candies are happy with the new digs (temporarily remove +savage tag)
* The Candies and Nezzy's crew are working well together. Hell, a few of them hooked up recently. You can use your gang for intel on the Hardholder
* Working hard on quick strikes, the gang has been able to flush out most of the remaining threats from pawns of Branigans. The Ascendant is in a relative peace right now

Both,

Now that both of you are doing somewhat better, Nezzy has asked when you can meet to talk about the hold. She wants to build a council, and the scuttlebutt is that she wants the two of you on it.

What do you do?

Comments

• OOC: Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 9)
  • edited November 2013
    OOC: Saff waited 4 days. Ollie's meds looked like they were running low, but Metro found some more tucked away.
  • I open my eyes to find Metro next to me. "Hi." I say, my throat hoarse. I can feel soreness, pain, but it's far off. They must have me on meds. I wonder how long I've been out.

-

I've been trying to avoid Nezzy, which is tough to do when I'm stuck in a hospital bed. I keep trying to get up to get some work done- I think that's why Janco put me in that coma. Doctors make the worst patients. Now that Ollie's meds are starting to run low, I'm in a wheelchair in the lab looking at scans and test results, trying to decide the best course of action. It'll be surgery, I just wish he could wait until I was better healed.
  • OOC: roll+cool for opening move. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 6)
  • Stitch,

Metro bends down to kiss your forehead and smiles, "Hi yourself. Welcome back." He takes your left hand in both of his. He feels warm. "The infirmary is fine. The lift is still under repair, I've worked with Janco for alternate routes. It should be back online in a few weeks, some of the parts have to be fabricated."
  • I've been relying pretty heavily on Vee lately... The morning sickness is dying down, but everything else has just been for shit lately. I only hope the stress isn't getting to her.

OOC: help from Vee. Hx+1
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 11)
  • Metro has been keeping an eye on things during my coma.

OOC: help from Metro. Hx+3
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 9)
  • edited November 2013
    I've been working the girls really hard in hunting down the rest of those puppets Branigans made. We haven't really had time for much else... We've been pretty ruthless when they resist. All I see is Gramma's face when their wires cross and they go all crazy... I guess you can see we've earned that empty space out in B-section — it's shit for accommodations right now, but my girls'll get it fixed up. They can handle themselves.

I didn't go to that mass funeral. Those frakkers didn't deserve the respect they got... Except Audi of course... I went to his grave on my own time, and left a slug on his headstone. Gramma's funeral was tough. When Dad's finally all fixed up, and the deal with the puppets is settled, I'm laying down arms... Maybe run a few gigs with the crew and the girls...

I asked Spree to send a message down to KellyTires and Topps... Hump could use someone right about now. And asked the Ferryman to keep an eye out for Rinso... Just in case. I don't expect him to be there though... Vee's been absolutely amazing. I don't know if I'd have gotten through this without her.

I'm hesitant to talk with Nezzy about this council business... I'm not sure I'm meant for that kind of life... I know Ma' doesn't trust her, but some organization would do this place a world of good...
  • Kiddo,

You're in the infirmary heading back down to check on the Candies. You're heading towards the set of stairs, passing by the wreckage of the brig entrance. The door has been removed, the place was scrubbed down (VB took care of most of it), but it's still a blackened ruin of metal, still a scar on the otherwise clean infirmary.

Standing by the open mouth of the brig, where the door once stood, is your mother. There are dark circles under her eyes, she's scratching her left forearm and watching the hallway like she's been there for a little while. Waiting. She's really starting to show the pregnancy, your mother. She's dressed in a sleeveless black t-shirt with some rock band on it, an old gift from Ollie. What band is it? Her jeans shorts have been pulled on, but you're thinking she didn't button that top button.

"Kiddo?" she asks with an unsure voice, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

What do you do?
  • Arcade Fire. Dad scoured a lot of junkships for it. It's good to see her in it again... She looks more like herself, in spite of the dark rings under her eyes, and the uncertainty in her voice. I don't hesitate to walk over, nodding, "of course, Ma'. What's on your mind?"
  • Kiddo,

Zero takes a moment before answering, then says with a practiced tone, "Now that Stitch is up, I'm going to, uhm, take care of the..." She swallows, blinks a few times, tries to finish her sentence. But then she just looks down, at her belly, does a half gesture.

She follows up with, "Once that's done, I'll be able to help out with the North Candies. You should rest and drek. You know?"
  • edited November 2013
    I go a little pale at the mention of Ma' "taking care" of it, but nod supportively. "Yeah... Ok. Do you, uh... Do you need someone there? ... I can wait a bit if you want." I consider telling her I was almost in her shoes about a month ago — but it wouldn't serve anything.

I clear my throat nervously, and look back to the infirmary. "The girls could definitely use the help... And... I could use it too... Zag's alright and all, but she's no you."
  • Kiddo,

Zero looks at you, like genuine eye contact, and opens her mouth as if she's going to say "yes", that yes she wants you there, that she's scared and feels horrible and this would be her third dead child and she's not sure she can take another loss like this.

"No, Kiddo. I'm alright," she answered woodenly. "And Zag's tough, but she's a frak-up when it comes to, you know, sticking to it and paying attention.... she's no me." She looks away, like she's not sure what else to say.
  • I purse my lips, and consider just caving — but I remember how I felt that night I begged Stitch for help, and how good it felt to have Stitch there on the other side. I'll compromise. "How about I stick around, and wait outside then? Check in on you once it's done? ... I asked Stitch to be there when I first found out. I almost ... Y'know ..." my voice cracks, and I quickly clear my throat to cover it. "C'mon. I'll bring you in."
  • edited November 2013
    Kiddo,

Zero hesitates, but finally she shrugs and follows you to see Stitch.

Stitch,

Metro is still chatting with you about everything that's happened when Kiddo comes to see you. Followed by Zero. Where do they catch up to you?

What do you do?
  • I wave daintily to the pair as I enter, and look over to Stitch, "Sorry to bug you doc, have you got a few minutes?"
  • I'm in the pharmacy, checking on the stock of medicine we've got. I'm stuck in a damn wheelchair, but it's better than a hospital bed.

"Of course." I reply.
  • I look back to Ma', and clear my throat... "My Ma' here wants to talk about... Uh... Options."
  • "Oh. Of course." I finish up what I'm doing. "Let's talk in the office." I say and I wheel over in that direction.

Assuming they follow, I ask Kiddo to shut the door behind her. Stupid wheelchair.

"I would need to examine you to see how far along you are, but there are a couple things we could do." I say, my face full of understanding and concern.
  • I obediently close the door behind me, and take up a spot next to Ma' — making my hand available if she needs it.
  • "If you're not too far along, I have a pill. There are side effects, but it's not as invasive as the other option- surgery." I give Zero the run down on side effects for both options and tell her I should examine her today, but it can be later if she needs some time.
  • Zero comes in, stands near the wall, not leaning against. She makes eye contact with you, Stitch, but you can tell she's forcing herself to. "I'm pretty far along, I think. You can, you know, check me out if you want."
  • "Ok, let's go to the exam room. We'll see how you're doing and then we can cover options and I can answer your questions." I have Kiddo open the door and lead her to the exam room that has the ultrasound machine.
  • Zero nods and follows. She gives the machine an odd look when you show it to her, like it's some frakkin monster, but you know, its just another device. She sits on the examination table. She's got old stretch marks, a bunch of bullet and other scars, from knife fights, running gun battles, road rash, you name it. She's led a hard life.

How do you handle an exam like this normally, Stitch? Kiddo, what do you do? You've done this with Stitch before, right? Do either of you do anything like point out the baby?

What gender is it, Stitch? You didn't want to know, but you totally do. Is it just one, or twins?

Here's what you get. The baby is too far along for the pill. You'll need to surgically abort the baby. It will take a few hours of work. You're low on the most effective anesthetic for this type of operation, the best you can do is weak and unreliable.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm sitting next to Ma' until someone kicks me out — but I'll tell you what I'm not doing: I'm not looking at that screen. It's easier if I don't think about it.

I haven't done any checkups with Stitch since the one in Boomtown... I've been busy, and I figure she'd let me know if she needed to see me for something.
  • I'm not an OB/GYN, but I've done my fair share of that kind of work at Kim's clinic. I make sure to keep the monitor out of Zero and Kiddo's sight. The baby is a girl. I determine it's age and shut the machine off.

"You are too far along for the pill." I tell her, knowing it's not a surprise. "I can operate, but the anesthetic I've got isn't ideal. It's going to hurt."
  • Zero nods, "That's fine." She looks at the wall, "When can you do it?"
  • "I'm going to dilate your cervix. I'll give you a series of pills, but it will take several hours. Then I'll use an instrument to remove the fetus via suction. This procedure has a very low rate of infection." I put my hand on her shoulder. "It will be ok."

I bring her pills from the pharmacy and show her to an empty bed in the recovery ward. I tell her she'll have some cramping, but not like labor pains. "I'll be back in a bit- I have to go meet with Nezzy."
  • I purse my lips, and curse under my breath, "frak... That was today?"
  • Zero listens to all of it, even though a good bit is beyond her. She has this hollow look to her at the end.

Kiddo, she reaches for your hand, just grabs it, and looks at you for a moment. The dark circles under her eyes are the best thing to focus on, "You... you understand, right?"
  • I nod, "you do what needs to be done, Ma'. Mother knows best."
  • "It. It can't be your dad's, Kiddo." Zero says it like the words are bitter, "Its got to his. I mean, look at Ollie. I don't think... I don't think we were together at all for the last year. I don't... maybe you could. Ask him?"
  • I nod, "He said that asshole never let you visit... If it's Dad's, would you keep it?"
  • Zero blinks, lets out a breath she'd been holding, "...of course. Gods yes, he's such a good father. It feels like a girl, Kiddo. I mean, same way I felt with you, and Vicky." She swallows and sniffs once, wipes at her cheek with the back of her hand. With a voice that breaks slightly, "I mean, drek, we could name her Jemma."
  • I look to Stitch, "you said you could tell if it was Dad's... Is there a test you can run, or something? I'll go ask him in the meantime..."
  • "Yes. A DNA test." I answer. "Stay right here. I'll go get some things."
  • Stitch,

You wheel yourself out of the med lab to pick up what you need for the DNA test. Supplies are good for a while, mostly because this is something Janco didn't know how to do yet, so she hadn't used any supplies.

Kiddo,

It's just you and Zero in the room. She is still staring at the wall, "I'm sorry, Kiddo."
  • I lean closer to her and rest my elbows on my legs, "Ma'... I was petrified that when I finally got up here, and told you I was pregnant, that you were gunna whoop my ass for frakking up... I spent a year down in the flats looking for you, generally being a screw up, and being mad that you guys left..."

I reach out and put my hand next to hers, giving her the option of taking it. "I can't be mad anymore, Ma'... I've got a second chance with my family. Something I wasn't totally sure I'd get a second shot at. We've both got a second shot at this... Don't be sorry for that."
  • Kiddo,

She takes your hand, doesn't hesitate, just grabs it and holds on tight. "You're here. I got to see Jemma one more time, Hump's alive and healthy." She looks at you, "How in the hell could I call you the frak up, Kiddo?" She twists her wrist and pulls you towards her, sort of suddenly but not violent. Then with her off-hand, she reaches up to pull you down into a hug.

Stitch,

You can walk in any time, you're right outside. Oh wait... wheelchair.
  • I take my time- they missed out on a whole year with each other.

After a while, I wheel back and knock on the door.
  • I melt in Ma's arms when she pulls me in, I don't really want to let her go... Eventually I hear Stitch knocking — I sniffle, and smile back at Ma'. "We're here for you Ma'. No matter what."
  • Zero doesn't answer you out loud, Kiddo. But she squeezes you once more and lets you up.

Stitch wheels herself in with the supplies, and Zero's there, ready for whatever test she needs.

What do you do?
  • If Zero is ready, we can do the test.
  • Its easy enough to extract enough amniotic fluid for the test. You have Ollie's blood on file. Once you get the test started, it should be ready by the time you return from Nezzy's meeting.

Let's skip ahead to that.

Nezzy comes to the infirmary. She knows you're in a wheelchair and insists on meeting where it is easy for you, Stitch.

She arrives with du and Telstra in tow, along with Whiskas from The Bay and a few other folks you've only seen a few times around.

You're meeting in the briefing room down the all past the brig. It normally has two round conference tables, large enough for everyone to sit around. But Nezzy sent some men in to move one of the tables, effectively forcing everyone to sit together. Of course, there's a space with no seat in front of it, for you, Stitch.

Who do you bring in the room with you? Who's watching the door?
  • I brought Chunky and Mamba with me. They've proven themselves quite capable, and they know enough to stay quiet. I take a seat next to Stitch. I have my pack at my feet, but I don't expect I'll need it.
  • I'm cursing this damn chair. I don't like being stuck in it and I don't like Nezzy having to make concessions for me because of it. I don't understand why she wants me on this damn council, anyway. I just want to do my work, not waste time in meetings. I roll into the meeting, distracted by thoughts of Zero and her baby.

I don't really know what Metro is up to when I'm working. Sometimes he comes to visit me, but not today. He's probably working on something. I wish I could have seen Saff before she left. I hope Sunkist is ok.

I nod at Nezzy and the other folks here, but don't say anything.
  • Nezzy waits for everyone to be seated before she stands. She makes eye contact with all of you, men, women, young and elder, then says, "Branigans is dead. We're still here. The Ascendant, and all of the people here, all two hundred souls, we have a nice thing going. Not because of Branigans, but mostly... because of the people in this room."

She starts slowly walking in a circle, like some sheepdog circling the herd. Or maybe something less sinister, hard to tell, "As the majordomo, I got to know each and every one of you. Despite all the wild times we had building this place up, each of you helped make this place better. We made this crashed ship into a community, and I like to think for most of us, a home."

You notice a number of the folks are nodding, some even smiling at Nezzy's mention of wild times, while others are less happy about that. She comes back around to sit, "I want to keep things moving forward. But I need good people to help this community work. I will step in as hardholder, but I want to have a council, for advice, for help, to give the people a voice so we can all stay safe and happy here on the Ascendant."

Nezzy lets folks stew on that for a moment. A dark-skinned older man that has a squarish beard and a wide-brimmed hat speaks up, "Nesbitts," he gestures to you two, "I've never seen these two young ladies before a couple weeks ago. How am I supposed to believe they are part of what we built?"

She answers smoothly, "I hear you, Beneful. Doctor Stitch here is in charge of the infirmary..."

"Wait!" a young man covered in ink and piercings says emphatically, "What about Janco? Are you saying you capped Janco?"

Nezzy chuckles, "Hell Hublot, she's right in there." A few others chuckle. "Janco suggested this. Stitch, can you share with the group a bit about yourself? We should probably do introductions all around after that."

What do you do?
  • Oh, fuck. How the hell am I supposed to introduce myself to these people? I can't just say that I was trained at medical school on the moon a hundred years ago.

"Yep. I'm Stitch. I'm a doctor. I spent some time working at Kim's clinic in Boomtown. Lever over in Trench offered me his clinic. I can pull out an appendix on the hood of a station wagon and of course I wouldn't hurt Janco. I'm training her to use the equipment in the lab." I say it all matter-of-factly, like the omission of where I grew up isn't weird at all. I also say it like that's about all I'm saying and anyone wanting to know more can go punt.
  • Beneful looks right at you, Kiddo, says in a tone that he's already decided what he thinks of you (it isn't awesome), and "And who are you, besides some kind of pregnant gang leader?"
  • I look to Beneful, unimpressed with the bullshit look he's giving me. "I'm the pregnant gang-leader who made this meeting possible." I don't like that asshole. I look to Nezzy, "not that I'm entirely sure why I'm here now. It's not like the Candies are looking to integrate with your security guards any time soon... What's the deal Nezzy?"
  • Beneful grumbles a little, but Hublot snickers. The others are trying to see what they can figure out about you. It's sort of eerie, this many judging you, right?

"Your gang is mobile, mine is not." Nezzy says matter-of-factly. "The Candies can handle security outside, raid other crashes, and sometimes act as ferrymen. Plus, they can work side jobs for you with the hold taking a cut. Since you're mobile, it gives you a chance to keep your fingers in other pies, and lets us keep an ear to the other holds."

That seems to impress the guy in his fifties with a thick mustache and a scraggly beard.
  • edited November 2013
    Y'know, a few months ago I would've been up in arms about all this... But now? It's like Vee said — I'm an adult now, or something. I've gotta let my actions speak for themselves.

Nezzy's train of thought makes sense... Plus it lets my girls get out and cause some mayhem from time to time. They'd go nuts locked up in here for too long. "Alright, I'm Kiddo." I lean forward in my chair, resting my forearms on the edge of the table, "so who are all of you?"
  • Nezzy has everyone do introductions. Here's the short version:

Beneful the gardener (he's the judgmental one, Kiddo) handles "the forest" and the "garden up top".
    Beneful

The guy in charge of Public Works, including communication, is Hublot (young, emotional, was protective of Janco, but also didn't notice she's just fine)
    Hublot

Head of Engineering, Nescafe (quiet, calculating guy).
    Nescafe

Barilla, also known as "Chef", in charge of food (smiles, doesn't seem to like to touch people), she has a tablet that she's constantly writing and drawing on (doodles mostly).
    Barilla

Chufi, in charge of custodial (a little grimy under the nails even though he obviously tried to clean up for this, short and wiry)
    Chufi

Merchant Guildmaster Bacardi, a tough-looking guy, was probably a chopper at some point.
    Bacardi
  • They seem like a decent lot... Once everyone's all introduced, I feel a little more comfortable. Dad used to talk about the Council back in the valley like they were a bunch of rich folks who did nothing but rip off poor folks... If this is the kind of council Nezzy has in mind, with hard-working honest folks, I could see myself getting behind it...
  • I nod at each as they are introduced- it seems like a good enough group. I wish I could ask Saff what she thinks about them.
  • The meeting lasts much longer than planned. It begins with small talk and quickly becomes a list of all the things that must be done right now, which is a laundry list of some things that sound important mixed in with pet projects.

Nescafe gives clipped answers, mostly estimates of time to manufacture or fix things, or he lists where it is on the docket of his work. He's got a small team, it seems.
    Chufi takes notes, never says no to what is proposed.
    Hublot goes into tirades about design and the use of space, but mostly he has big ideas and not much support, which frustrates the hell out of him. Nezzy seems to find him amusing, genuinely, like she seems to enjoy his fire.
    Barilla and Bacardi support each other, they seem like partners, if not more? Hard to say.

All in all, the group agrees to work together, and vote themselves in as the Council. Hublot takes on communication, and Kiddo, you're asked to draft a schedule for patrols. Bacardi asks you to come by his flat to talk about acting as ferrymen. Stitch, you're asked to work with Beneful on what medicines can be grown, and also to create a schedule to check out every person in the Ascendant. Nezzy threw that one in, you know why.

Once the meeting wraps up, do you stick around the group as they head to Barilla's or go off to do other stuff?
  • edited November 2013
    My head is spinning, and I feel like I just agreed to listen to grown folks bicker about their hobbies. That Hublot guy sounds like he's full of frakking shit — big talker with nothing behind it. I think I'll skip out on food for now... I'm not ready to go back to the mess hall... I dunno if I'll ever be able to go back there.

I asked Bacardi when he'll be around to talk about the ferrymen gig, but that's the kind of stuff that can wait until tomorrow, yeah? I've gotta talk to the girls about all this first, before we start going into this all gung-ho... I'm gunna check in on Ma', see what the results of that test Stitch ran were first. Then I'm gunna go spend some time with Vee... I should be spending more time with her...
  • I go back to the lab to see if Zero's test results are back.
  • Kiddo,

You find Zero sitting in her cell on her bunk. The door is always open now, she hasn't bothered to replace the light. She looks up, "How did that go?"

Stitch,

You wheel yourself back to the infirmary. Janco was checking in with a patient when you pass her. She comes out to take the handles and push you to the lab. How do you normally react to that?
  • I chuckle to myself, and make my way over to the bed, sitting on the floor next to her. I really wish Ma' would move out of this frakking cell... "like reasoning with a herd of frakking cats. They want Stitch and me to be on this council thing — run security in the region, raids on junkships, keep ties friendly with the neighbors... Nezzy wants to make a go of keeping this place legit."

I look over to her, and lean against the mattress of her bunk, "y'know... we can't keep living in an infirmary and a cell... It's gunna take a while for Stitch to work her magic on Dad. I wanna find a place for Vee and me... Maybe get something big enough for Hump and you to stay with us..."
  • Kiddo,

"This cell," Zero says without irony, "Is a frakload better than some of the holes I slept in before I met your dad." She reaches down to run her fingers through your hair, an unexpectedly girly thing to do. How long has it been since she did that?

"You and VB... it seems pretty serious. You know, she's always been a little flighty with everyone but Rinso." Her tone is light, despite her judgmental words, "I worry that you're trusting too many people, Kiddo. The real world, outside of the Ollie Bubble, it's not so great. I mean, you know that, I'm not trying to say you don't. Just don't, you know, forget it."
  • To anyone else I'd give them a look and wheel myself away, but Janco doesn't take no for an answer so I just frown and let her push my damn chair. "How long til I'm out of this thing?"
  • Stitch,

Janco smiles that nursey smile she does with patients and says, "You're a better doc than I am. Shouldn't you tell me?" She brings you up to the lab, walks around to open the door, then lowers herself down to sit on her haunches, to be eye to eye, "If you'd do the therapy with me, a week or so. If you keep wheeling yourself around here, eating crap and not sleeping enough, it could take months."
  • "Shit, Janco. I have WORK to do. I don't have time for sleep or therapy." I protest, knowing full well I'll cave and do it. Sometimes I need to be reminded I can't work all the hours in the day.

I stare at her for a moment. She really is a damn fine doctor. I'm lucky to have her. "Fine." I cave. "Can I get back to work now?"
  • I lean into her hand, as she brushes it through my hair. She hasn't run her fingers through my hair in... Frak... Years? We used to do it out by a campfire, talking about our favorite candies, interesting places she's been, what it was like growing up with Gramma, sometimes boys... But after she got sick, we never really got that opportunity again. She's been grooming me for "the hard life", so it's not exactly like she runs her fingers through my hair to comfort me... More so to reach out to me, I think...

I hang my head at her mention of Rinso; but I don't want to put her on edge again, so I swallow hard, and nod along. "Dad has that way about him — of finding good folks and bringing out the best in them. I'm not so bad at keeping the bad folks at a distance — I just have a hard time letting good folks in. Vee and me started as a thing with Rinso. At first, I was petrified to let either of them in. I was afraid I'd frak it up, and they'd leave... But gradually I let my guard down, and we got really close."

I pause a minute, "I pushed Rinso away, 'cause he did things with that Cherry bitch... Shit that could be a danger to our baby. I told him we'd take care of his past together, and made him promise we'd sort it all out before next season's end; but the next day he up and left without us. I went looking for him, and Cherry has this kid who she's vaguely hinting is Rinso's, and I had these visions of her threatening to kill him... Ma'... Rinso left Vee before, and she was heartbroken. This time he left both of us. I was barely a week into knowing I was pregnant, freshly informed about the horrible things that were happening to you and Dad, and petrified of being alone." I look up to her, "Vee has been my rock. She's been there for me more than the father of my frakking child. I'm not even sure I can trust myself — but I trust her."
  • Stitch,

Janco snickers at your protests. She reaches out to very lightly, rub your knee, "Just think how much more work you'll do when your on your feet, right?" She gives you a smile, then stands back up to walk behind you and push you into the lab, "so I'll pencil your appointment for, say, six tonight then. I'm going to catch you up for the last five, no six, appointments you blew off, and I won't be gentle."

The results are in, by the way. The baby is a 99.46% genetic similarity match. It's Ollie's.

Which, of course, means, that either she somehow came down here and frakked him, which is unlikely based on timing of her pregnancy and his condition. Or, it means his, ah, genetic sample was collected. Somehow.

What do you do?
  • I cringe when she wheels me back in, thankful she can't see me.

I look over Zero's chart and a smile spreads over my face. Finally, some good news. My smile sours a little when I think of how exactly that could have come about... maybe Bran was sterile and since Zero already had a few of Ollie's kids, he made her think it was his... I shake the thought out of my head. Doesn't matter now.

I wheel over to the brig where I know I can find Zero. Really I shouldn't give her the results in front of Kiddo, but it's probably written all over my face. "It's Ollie's" I say when I get in the cell.
  • Kiddo,

Zero listens while you talk, still stroking your hair, she even starts braiding a strand or two. You tell her about the three of you, then about VB, and she chuckles a quiet laugh and says, "I never told you about when I first met Baby Ruth, mostly because you were so taken with her, and by the time you came along, we were tight. But we Prospected together. Her name used to be Bega, just between you an me." She smirks, like Baby Ruth would return from the dead and be mad about that secret getting out.

"I hated Ruth when we first met. We fought all the time, mostly with words, but fists a few times. Knives once. Snickers thought it was frakkin hilarious." She scowls at that, then says, "I didn't. I thought, well, we both thought, that there was only one spot out there and it was between us two for it."

She's almost got the braid finished, "Anyways, Hunk brought the two of us in after the knife fight, and told us how we were stupid skinny brats and that if we could ride and work together, we'd both get in. So we did, we rode all the way to the Temple of Plenty and stolen an entire tanker of petrol. Got in the gang. Got drunk together, slept together," she shows you the thin scar on her right palm, "We cut our hands and became blood sisters and never looked back. So, hey, if you say VB is your rock... well, who the hell am I to say otherwise?"
  • I'm quiet for the whole story, hanging on Ma's every word. There's so much I don't know about this woman... So much she's done that got lost behind the big neon sign that says "Ma" over her head. I smile when she gives me her blessing with Vee, and take her hand.

It seems pointless to say anything... But then Stitch comes in, and drops that bomb. I look back to Ma' with a smile on my face.
  • Zero blinks, like this was not what she expected, like she was just letting Kiddo hear it out, that she didn't think it was possible, "But... how?"
  • "I'm not sure exactly how, but the child is a 99.46% match with Ollie." I could get into possibilities, but I'd rather not bring up anything that might trigger her. I wheel up a little closer and reach out for Zero's hand. If she doesn't take it, no problem.
  • I'm speechless... I mean, I'm not sure how good 99.46% is ... But Stitch seems to think it's pretty good. "Would... Would Dad know? Maybe Janco?"
  • "Ollie may or may not remember. I doubt Janco would know." I start, discouraging Kiddo from digging into this in case it makes either of her parents uncomfortable. "Anything below 60% would be a conclusive no. Between 60% and 90% would be inconclusive. A 99.46% match means I'm very confidant saying that Ollie is the father." I explain.
  • Zero reaches up to take your hand, Stitch, and squeezes it, "Good enough, Angel." She looks you in the eye, "Thanks."

After a moment passes, she clears her throat, and asks, "Not to be pushy, Angel. But when do you think you might be able to operate?" She doesn't say "on Ollie. She's not able to call him by name so easily.
  • "He's doing ok. I'd like to wait until I can get out of this blasted chair as the surgery is likely to be long- a few hours, even with Janco assisting." I answer her. "I could do it now, but without mobility I'd be taking an unnecessary risk. It might be a week or two."
  • I look back to Ma', and give her a reassuring nod. "If it means Dad's better off, a week's a joke compared to what we've waited already."
  • Zero nods, accepting it. Not happy about it, but not pushing. "Any advice for me? I mean, this is fifth time around, but I've never had a doc's advice or anything so fancy." She grins a little, it's a joke.
  • I kind of perk up at that — I never actually asked Stitch for any advice. It never occurred to me to ask.
  • edited November 2013
    "Fifth? Wow." I'm surprised by this. I know of Kiddo and Hump, obviously, and I'd heard of Simon, but I didn't know about the other. "Well, since you're older, try and take it easy. Drink plenty of water and get as much sleep as you can. Try and eat as best as you can. I've got some prenatal vitamins I'll give each of you. Try not to get shot." I look at Kiddo as I say the last sentence, smiling a little.
  • Zero reaches down to turn your face to look up at her, Kiddo. Gently, but solid, "Hear that, Kiddo? No more running the halls with shotguns. Let the Candies do the work. If I'm going to go through with this damn thing, then you're stuck doing it, too. You hear?"
  • I grin back at her, "yeah... Thanks Doc."
  • Zero grins maliciously, "Just so you know, Kiddo. Giving birth really sucks."
  • I turn my head towards the door so they don't see the hurt look on my face.
  • I roll my eyes at Ma's comment, and slap her arm playfully, "Yeah, I remember what you called Dad when Hump was born..."
  • edited November 2013
    Zero snorts at that. "I thought you were out of the room!" She reaches down to the pack she normally had on her bike and pulls out a little leather strip, and ties off your braid.

--END SCENE--