[Junk XIII] Oasis (J 5-3)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

Half an hour before you reached the not-quite-walled city of Oasis, you passed by the quarry where the ancient shells are excavated and carried to the crews working on building out the walls. The road becomes smoother the closer you get, since you're following the road trod and driven by the workers of Oasis. It's afternoon when you arrive, and the gates are open.

Where are you hoping to find lodging, Jack? What's the biggest thing to look out for? How many people know you here?

Comments

• The orange sun hanging over the mountains to the west, and glimmering on the crests of the waves of the oasis is a beautiful sight, is it not? Truth be told, I could camp out there by the shoreline — but that would be unwise, given the proclivities of the inhabitants near the water... They tend to engage in psychotropics late at night, and I'm ashamed to admit I have a weakness for them — call it another one of my early experiments to find peace.

No, I think I'll call upon an old friend of mine — an older lady named Charmin, who was kind enough to give me shelter a few years ago when I first started roaming. She lost her husband, you see, and was looking for company. You might say we consoled each other. I'm sure she'd help me put up Rinso while I dealt with this Snapple gentleman.
  • Charmin has a flat near the wall. In fact, the wall is in the process of being built up last her window. It's a couple rooms, nothing too big. She has a futon in the front room that she offers to Rinso. She assumes you'll be in her bed. But it isn't a sexual advance, is it? She trusts you, well enough. Plus, a warm body in the bed helps her remember.

How are you reaching out for Snapple? He's a big time merchant, Rinso says Cherry did the scouting for Orbit.
  • It might surprise you to learn that our relationship is entirely platonic. Though — if my memory serves me correctly — she was a fantastically beautiful woman in her day, I was little more than a child when we first encountered each other in that broken down old shack... Even now, I'm nothing more than that scared young boy she gripped ever so tightly in her arms — though I've long since stopped shaking.

My plan to entice Snapple into a meeting is quite simple really — he's a merchant, no doubt with goods to sell — so I'll opt to buy them en-masse. I'd think a significant enough order would merit his attention.

OOC: Specifically, spending a barter to get me into his presence.
  • A runner kid comes back the next morning to clap at the door for you. How did you sleep? What secrets did you and Charmin share?

The kid hands you a note she probably cannot read. Rinso is up, he's moved the futon to clear some space and is shirtless, busy working out.

The note says:
    The honorable Snapple wishes to meet with you, Jack.
    He was impressed with your sincerity.
    Please come to the west bazaar before second bell.
    Snapple will be waiting with the rug merchant.

Does Snapple know why you want to meet with him?
  • edited November 2013
    Oh please... I was straightforward with the man, but I am not an idiot. I simply told him I was holding payment on a long overdue debt, and was looking to prevent animosities between the involved parties. I don't expect him to be pleased about my representation of Rinso, but I do expect to be civilized about it all.

My night with Charmin was spectacular, as always — she told me stories of the men attempting to court her, and I could sense the curiosity bubbling in her mind to accept a few of them; but deep down in her heart, I can see that she will never get over old Tesla. That's not to say she's unhappy — just that she truly loved that man. It was quite touching.

As for my secrets, I had none to share. The woman is like a mother to me — hiding something from her would be fruitless. Instead I regaled her with tales of the people I've watched — and the few souls I've been fortunate enough to touch — since we last parted ways.

I gave the runner a small token for his efforts, set my iPod to some Vivaldi, and took Rinso's last sum of cash — the impressive haul that it is — before making my way out to the bazaar well before second bell. Timeliness is a virtue, after all.
  • Charmin cooked some eggs and dried meat for you and Rinso, and gave you a friendly peck on the cheek before you left.

The bazaar at Oasis takes up the center of the city. The water reservoirs are plentiful and so is the food. Odd variants of Earther plants have sprouted up alongside completely alien and unique vegetables and fruits. One of the things you see in Oasis more than anywhere else? Fat people. People have enough to eat that they can actually get a little chubby.

Snapple is chubby. He's in his fifties, with round cheeks and laugh lines. He seems rather congenial, really. He fits Rinso's description, and you notice there is a young woman there, quite fair, bordering on plump, but well endowed. She must be Orbit, since she's missing her left pinkie finger. She looks bored in her very fine-looking dress. They're both dressed in silks, long shirts and soft shoes made for comfort and not walking terribly far.

He is busy looking over rugs and threads, items for making new rugs. He talks to the merchant, a skinny older man, about pricing and salesmanship. The older man doesn't seem too interested in such things, but he isn't being overtly rude about it.

What do you do?
  • I've been able to decrease the volume on my iPod twice now. Contented people tend to think very softly, you see — without passion. Their mewling for ever-fleeting satisfaction is rarely more than a whisper in my proverbial ear; until they experience true desire that is, then they become an insufferable torment of wailing and grasping — like a babe who loses a toy they own in triplicate.

I've pocketed two jingle from Rinso's stash for dramatic effect, in the event that Snapple decides to raise his price on principle. I approach the man impassively, taking only a moment to glance over at the young Orbit. I stop a few paces from Snapple, and pull my earbuds out before crossing my hands behind my back. I calmly introduce myself, "Snapple, I presume? I am Jack — I received your missive. Are you free to talk business?"
  • Snapple turns to you and offers you an easy smile. He takes your hand, shakes it once. His grip is firm, but it's an act, not a grip born from hard work, just one learned to seem strong and confidant. He nods, "Yes, Jack, I am always free to talk business." He walks away from the small stall and the rug merchant into a side alley between low houses. His daughter follows, walking five steps behind him.

His smile fades quickly, and he cuts to the chase, speaking with a pleasant but dirct tone, "Speak to me of this debt and animosities. I have few enemies, even fewer living."
  • I purse my lips and look back to his daughter a moment, making sure he follows my gaze, "given the circumstances, I think it would be appropriate if your daughter didn't hear this — as it might cause her some distress. Suffice it to say I am here to make reparations on behalf of a certain gentleman who has impacted your daughter's life..." I turn away from Orbit, and raise my hand to wiggle my pinky, "he is repentant, and was about to do something rather stupid — I'm here to make sure his act of penance is ... appropriate."
  • OOC: Reading Snapple. Roll+Weird* (Casual brain receptivity). +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 4. Total: 10)
  • OOC: Holding 3.
    Q1: How can I get Snapple to forgive Rinso?

• edited November 2013
    At first, Snapple seems to dismiss the notion of having his daughter leave him, but once you hold up your pinkie, he blanches, nods, and looks to her. Her eyes widen once she realizes what is going on, and he shoos her away gently.

The smile he wore like a mask is gone, Snapple appears composed, but an old anger flickers. He asks calm and deliberate, "Why? Why now? And why only him? What of the girl?"

Snapple will never forgive Rinso. Rinso took away his sense of safety, ruined his daughter's trust in others. Snapple is not a good-natured person now. He still loves his family, that's one angle.

Snapple, in the end, is a merchant. Given certain guarantees and a bloodguilt payment, he would agree to forget the wrong that was done to his family.

If you walk away from this arrangement without satisfying him, he will seek vengeance on Rinso. And you.
  • Damn... I keep my posture professional, and my expression stoic — the best I can do at this point, really, to respect the hardships Rinso has visited upon him and his family. I purse my lips, "his prior partner — who he's since abandoned, might I add — is paying penance of a different sort... I'll be honest, Rinso wasn't clear on that — but it was made clear to him, twice at gunpoint I'm told, that she has no intentions of seeking you out, or assisting him towards this end."

I clear my throat, "as for his sudden change of heart, you are free to speculate for yourself; but I will simply say that he has come to appreciate the endless dedication a parent has for their child." I flip open my coat pocket, and produce the bag of jingle, "Rinso assured me was the precise amount you paid in ransom for your daughter. We both agree it is a pittance compared to what you and your daughter have lost," I reach into the pocket again, and produce the extra two jingle, "and so he adds this as a gesture of good faith, in hopes that you will share with us what further conditions you require to balance the scales... if you'll forgive the triviality of the parlance."
  • Snapple looks over the items you hand over, some of them ancient treasures, others merely mediums of exchange. Those questions, what is the worth of a daughter's safety? What was lost in this exchange, if not jingle?

He sets his jaw, looks at you with a mix of anger and weariness, "I cannot say the number of nights my daughter woke up screaming because I stop counting them. Two different marriage proposals were rescinded when the suitors saw the damage that was done, not to only her hand, but her mind. I doubt she will ever trust another man, Jack."

Snapple looks over his shoulder at his daughter, then pulls the bag of jingle under the folds of his robe, "I wish for closure on this. This is a fair price for bloodguilt. I ask one more thing in return. Give me your word that... Rinso," he says the name as if it's the first time he's ever used it, "will never step foot again in Oasis once this is done, and I will be satisfied."
  • Well, well – it would appear the man is not without kindness in his head... But what of his heart?

OOC:
    Q2: Is Snapple telling the truth?
  • He's telling the truth, he would not make a deal and break it. He will be sending that lithe young woman watching you two talking from the roof across the way to follow you, and she's going to follow you until she sees you and Rinso leave Oasis. Just to make sure. And she'll be giving a very detailed description of Rinso to a talented artist, and his picture will be shown to the Oasis gangs, and if they see him in town, at any point a week from now to say... forever, he'll pay three jingle for his head.
  • A reasonable sacrifice for the safety of one's child, I would assume – if not for the lady Aquafina... "We are here with a traveling caravan, out of necessity I'm afraid... The intent is to not for more than a few days. If he agrees to stay confined to quarters until our departure, would that be acceptable? Or shall I arrange for alternate transportation?"
  • Snapple flicks a glance to his daughter, then back to you. His smile returns, "I am not an unreasonable man, Jack. He may stay confined to quarters until you leave. But then he may never return without breaking our agreement."

He steps back and looks up at the lithe girl with the beige scarf around her face, he looks at her in an obvious manner, for your benefit, then says, "He will be watched." The girl, when you see her that moment, she has flashing gray eyes, they remind you of someone from your past. Who is it?
  • I nod, relinquishing the payment, "Of course. I wish you and your daughter nothing but happiness in the future — you truly are a reasonable man." I offer him my hand, cordially, and look up to smile at the young lady in the scarf — but I'm caught by those eyes... They're so familiar.

Omo.

I'm caught a moment, staring off into the deep blue sky. There are few people quite so interesting as the soul I met back in Trench... A lone flower of optimism among a thicket of brambles and decaying saplings — I wonder if she's found that replacement for her mother's approval... I return my gaze to Snapple, and return his professional smile. I spot his daughter behind me, and relax my posture a bit. "Should you ever need to contact me, for whatever reason, the ferrymen know how to find me. Is there anything else I can do for you, while I'm here?"

OOC:
    Q3: What does Snapple wish I'd do?
  • Jack,

Answer me this. What would Snapple know of you? How are you known in Oasis?
  • My history is something of a mystery to many people, but I am known as an observer of people — and that my judge of character is often extremely accurate, depending on how closely I am allowed to be with my subject. The words "Brain frakker" have never been used in my presence, but I would not be surprised if someone mistook me for one...

Those talents... They are a part of myself that I have locked away. Personal advocacy, and free will, you see, are something I'm not willing to tamper with... At least not again.
  • edited November 2013
    "I know you by your reputation, Jack." Snapple says in a complimentary fashion. "Since you are so good at reading people, then I wager you are negotiating for Rinso in good faith. The spectre of him will no longer haunt me, which is good."

He calculates for a moment, "If you are interested in an exchange of services, perhaps I can help your caravan and you can help me with a certain unknown person here in Oasis that wishes to deal with me. I do not know if I can trust him in what he offers, and your skills could be useful."
  • Well, this is certainly a step in the right direction. "Of course, sir. How may I be of service?" I suppose a positive reputation is something one cultivates... Though I'm sure this is more a necessity of business, than a reaping of benefits from years of good behavior.
  • Snapple says, "There's a woman from the Valley, named Nehi. She's trying to buy her way into the syndicate, and I don't know if I trust her... at all." He looks at you, "Her jingle is solid, and she's smart, but there's something not right about her. The other members are interested, but I hold the final vote. Tell me what to think of her, Jack. Or what you think of her."
  • That name gives me pause... Nehi... Where have I heard that name before?

Bah — it can't be important. I nod, "certainly. Would you like to make the introduction? Or should I approach her on my own later this evening?"
  • "Approach her on your own." Snapple answers, "It is unlikely she would be aware of this meeting. I would like for you to evaluate her on your own merit. If she met you through me, she would be on guard, you understand?"

He offers a hand shake to close the deal, "You can find Nehi at the Palace." He chuckles, "It is the nicest gambling hall in Oasis, and there is lodging available for the high rollers."

What kind of gambling have you heard going on in Oasis, Jack?

What do you do?
  • I smile, as if her guards are anything for me to be concerned about, but nod complacently, "I do understand, and thank you for the information." I straighten my jacket, and start unwrapping my earbuds from my iPod. "I believe the game here in Oasis is largely poker. Am I mistaken?"

Poker is my kind of game, you see. It is a game of wits and bluffing — something I'm prone to see right through.
  • Snapple nods. "Yes, it is. Good luck. You can send word to me through Vodafone." He looks up again at the girl, "She'll be your shadow until you leave."

What do you do?
  • I bow courteously to him, and his daughter, "It's been a pleasure doing business with you, sir."

I suppose I should go tell Rinso and Aquafina the good news.
  • Alright, let's set that up here.