[Junk XIII] The Good news (J 5-4)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

You gathered Aquafina up and brought her to see Rinso. Your stalker is still a few meters behind, like she should be. What have you told them so far?

Comments

• I've told Aquafina that I've got a potential buyer set up for her goods, pending my opinion of a newcomer to their little cavalcade of consumerist merchants, and I've just told him that the well-being of his family is secured pending his departure from Oasis.

"... Of course, since we're tied down at the moment with the Caravan, you've got special dispensation this one time to stay confined to quarters for the duration of our stay. Once we leave, however, you should expect to never return." I look him in the eyes, "are you pleased with the terms?"
  • edited November 2013
    Rinso is the first to answer out loud, but Aquafina is trying hard not to grin at the news, since it's really great for her. He shrugs, "That's fair. Thanks, Jack."

Aquafina answers with forced neutrality, "That sounds good. You need any help with the newcomer? Should I just sit tight?"
  • I consider asking Aquafina for a little seed money to gamble with as an attempt to get closer with Nehi, but that would defeat the purpose of coming to trade with these fine people, wouldn't it? "I expect the evening will be rather interesting my dear... She's apparently staying at some fine gambling establishment downtown. A woman as beautiful as you at my side would certainly give me the look of a "high-roller" — wouldn't you agree?"
  • Aquafina blushes a little, then rolls her eyes, "Shucks, Jack, you know how to make a gal feel nice. I hadn't brought any nice clothes. Don't really have anything girly anymore, but if you're talkin about Stakes, I'll go with ya."

Rinso smirks at the two of you, and says, "I'll just keep Charmin company. She's a nice lady, Jack."

Aqua asks, "When do we go?"

What do you do?
  • I nod back to Rinso, "She really is. I'll try and make our stay here as brief as possible — as I'm sure you're anxious to get on with your life."

I turn back to Aqua, "your smile and wit will more than cover for your more functional clothing, my dear. I've nothing in particular to do with my day, other than relax and take in the sights. I'd intended to get some food, then try my luck at the tables around sunset."
  • Rinso nods, "I am, but hey, I get a free pinkie out of the deal, so I can wait it out."

Aquafina's smile widens when you compliment her. She's used to guys "coming onto" her, not people saying nice things. She offers you an arm, "I've only been to east market here. Would you mind terribly if I rook in the sights with ya? If I don't have to hunt down deals with fussy merchants, thanks to you, then I've got a lil free time."

What are the sights you take her to, Jack? What are your intentions here?
  • My intentions are most noble, I assure you. I'm out to observe people, culture, and if Aquafina cares to wander the town with me, then I'd be more than happy to accompany her; besides, we see each other so infrequently as it is... Come the end of our little crossing, she'll be sailing for new land, and I'll still be wandering the seas.

... A pity, really — seeing as I'm quite fond of her — but as I mentioned to Rinso yesterday: it's simply destiny.

I take her arm, and smile widely back at her, "the waterfront is simply a sight to see my dear — and the north end? The construction of houses there is so grandiose that you almost simply cannot resist peering into the mind of the architects themselves. Come! I'm feeling slightly peckish. Shall we find some food?"
  • "Oh Jack," Aquafina says as you stroll out of Charmin's, "You have a number of qualities I adore, but I simply must say one of my favorites is your words. Will you talk with me the whole time? You are always so quiet, and I like it when we, how would you say it, converse."

What kind of place do you grab food in? What are "restaurants" like in Oasis?
  • I smile back at her, and puff out my chest a bit. "Your wish is my command, my dear." Very few people enjoy talking with me... It's so refreshing to be able to "be one's self" in the presence of another.

I'll bring her to the south end. There's a delightful gentleman there who cooks honest-to-gods fish with a variety of spices — the flavor is unlike anything you've ever had. He calls it a familial recipe. Then, I'll bring her on a long stroll around the town, asking her what she thinks on various topics, offering up my knowledge and opinions wherever they can be applied.
  • Aqua, as she said, likes listening to you. She spends the early part of your time turning questions back on you, but eventually, she starts opening up, too. She's never had fresh fish before, and most of the things you show her are things she's only ever seen in crates, never experienced. She's a dock girl, never going deep enough into a town to know it, always moving, learning about the places between places.

Eventually the sun sets, and the pair of you have work to do at "Stakes". What have you heard about this place?
  • I've heard the owner of this establishment is something of a lush, who loves the sound of his own voice about as much as he loves swindling jingle from his customers. I've also heard his leading lady is addicted to glitter — a shame, really, that he thinks he gives her such joy in bed. I walk in with Aquafina on my arm, and immediately size up the establishment. I've got Nehi's description, but I don't imagine she'd be down here gambling would she?
  • Aqua whispers in your ear, "This is pretty posh, Jack! You think... you think they'd have a spare room?" She giggles and lightly scratches your tummy.

Why yes, it does appear Nehi is gambling, throwing dice at a table surrounded by merchants and young people excited by the action. She's enjoying the splendor, but also talking with everyone around, ingratiating herself, tipping heavily.
  • See, here I was thinking I'd have to buy a tremendous amount of spirits, and gamble away my considerable life savings in order to even see the lady Nehi — and yet all I have to do is buy some stakes in this game of chance...

Fantastic.

I smirk at Aqua's suggestion and reach into my jacket pocket, producing a few electronic trinkets I'm sure are worth a night in this place. "Why don't you go find out, my dear?" I whisper back, calm as the oasis on a windless day, "it's not every day one can enjoy such a splendor, hmm? I'll join you by the bar once I've spoken to the lady in question."
  • Aqua nods and heads off to do just that.

How are you approaching this group? there are about a dozen folks gathered around Nehi. Nehi, by the way, is ravishing, a undeniably beautiful creature with exquisite taste and alien eyes. She's courting the entire crowd and doing it well.

What do you do?
  • I take a few rounds to gradually integrate myself into the crowd. I'm not familiar with many games of chance, or what kind of stakes are on the table, but I am a quick learner. After a few rounds of whatever game she's playing, I'll bring myself into the action by wagering on her luck.
  • When make a bet on a game at Stakes in hopes of winning, roll +Sharp
    On a miss, you lose.
    On 7-9, you win what you were after, but lose it before you leave Stakes
    On a 10+, you rocked this joint! The world is yours, just for tonight!
  • How is it that Kodak used to put it? Let it ride!

OOC: Gambling is bad kids. Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 5)
  • After three rounds of you betting on Nehi and her losing, people start to norice. You can push your luck here, and try to Act Under Fire to avoid notice, or you can step away from the table and hit her up later.

But seriously, the girl is starting to think you're bad luck.
  • Well, this has been a most disappointing evening... And I imagine it's about to become quite expensive. The third round of betting is my limit really — I'll only take so much abuse, at the hands of a pair of ivory cubes.

Perhaps the lady would like a drink, instead.
  • Sure, let's say you make your way to the bar. There's a fairly attractive older guy behind the bar. And a few seats away is Aqua, she's talking to a female server, just casual stuff.

What do you do?
  • It's probably best I leave Aqua to her own devices for the time being. I square up with the bar to grab the attention of the server, "What has the lovely lady shooting craps been drinking this evening, sir?"
  • He looks over at the table, then answers with a practiced smile, "The lady is enjoying vodka on the rocks with a lime."
  • Vodka? Interesting. A lady with refined, but simple tastes. "When the lady comes for a refill, tell her it's been covered — an apology for stifling her luck a few rolls ago." I take a seat at the bar, "I'll have one as well."

I pay for both drinks, and put an earbud in my ear. There's so much noise in this room...
  • It takes a few more minutes before the table has cooled, and people break up into smaller cliques. Nehi heads to the bar, near but not right beside you, then chats with the bartender, who motions to you with his head.

She comes over, "Thank you for the drink. It more than makes up for those throws. It's just a game. I'm much more interested in meeting new people. My name is Nehi." She offers a hand, the back of her wrist pointed towards you, fingers down.
  • Well my dear, how fortunate for you I'm not like my mother... I smile genuinely up at her, and gently place a kiss on her knuckles, "a pleasure to meet you, my dear Nehi. How fortunate that you should like to meet new people — for you see, I'm here to meet interesting people, and you certainly have my attention."

I'm still holding on to her hand as I gesture to the seat next to me with my free hand, "care to sit with me a moment?"
  • She smiles, its a very nice smile, a kind of quirky one, but such nice white teeth, "I'd love to sit with you!" She takes a seat on the cushy stool by you and puts an elbow on the bar, "What is your name? Are you local or from out of town?"
  • I slip the stool out for her with my foot, and clear my throat. "I'm sorry my dear, how rude of me — my name is Jack. I'm something of a wanderer, but I so do enjoy visiting Oasis — you might say it's a second home to me. I don't believe I've seen you here in the past — are you new yourself?"
  • She grins, "I am! I just recently arrived, but I love this place. I am hoping to make it my home. Tell me, Jack. What should I absolutely go out and do tomorrow? What thing about Oasis do you love the most?"
  • Hmm... There are so many options. I wonder how well she's been guided around the town. "I suppose that depends on what you've already been shown — but there are a few hidden treasures I've enjoyed personally. I've always been fond of the architecture here — it's so very telling of this town's inhabitants. Then of course, there's drinking from the various nuts that grow from the trees — some of the local children are always happy to cut one down and crack one open for you. I'm told they were specially grown by a young doctor trying to woo his love."

I look around the bar, "Then of course, the island in the middle of the Oasis proper has a beautiful view at sunset, if you enjoy a nice swim — particularly if you've got someone to share it with."
  • Nehi grins as you share your knowledge of Oasis, laughs silently when you suggest a swim. "These are lovely suggestions, all of them. I am curious... do you like children, Jack?"
  • edited November 2013
    I smile, "of course! There's something quite intriguing about the mind of a child — how straightforward everything is with them. There's a nearly indiscernible logic to them. Why do you ask?"

I pull my earbud out of my ear, and try to focus on the sound of her inner voice... This woman... There's something about her...
  • OOC: Reading the SHIT out of this woman. Roll+Weird*. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 10)
  • Holding 3.
  • "Oh, Jack, I've found that how a man relates to a child is very telling of their disposition. That's all." Nehi smiles and lightly touches your forearm. After a moment, she brushes a few stray hairs behind her left ear. Then she asks with a mischievous grin, "And who was the last person you shared that sunset with?"
  • edited November 2013
    OOC:
    Q1: Is she telling the truth?

Myself.

I look down to my drink, still smiling of course, and take a sip, "an old friend. Tell me Nehi, are you a traveler at heart?"
  • She is. She really believes that.

Her smile fades at the question, but she doesn't look away, "Not at heart, no. I would like to find somewhere to settle, but happenstance forces me to keep moving. I hope Oasis can be different." She laughs, "I cannot go any further east, so I guess it will have to work."
  • Now we're getting somewhere, "that's most unfortunate..." I raise my glass, "here's to hoping this place will work, then. Have the people been treating you well?"
  • Nehi meets your toast, and takes a solid drink, puts down the glass, "They have been cordial. But I sense that they don't easily trust outsiders. What has your experience been?"
  • I chuckle to myself at the outright accuracy of her conclusion... She's quite the judge of character. "Some of them have trust issues, to be sure; but for the right person, under the right circumstances, you'll find them to be ... Permissive." I put my glass down and lean against the bar, "many of them are worried about their families, you see. Merchant syndicates such as the one here, for example, tend to be a collection of people agreeing to maintain the status quo."

I look her in the eye, letting slip my intrigue in her, "Do you really feel you'd fit in here, my dear?"

OOC:
    Q2: How does Nehi really feel?
  • Nehi listens close, like you're a sage. She smiles a little when you ask her about fitting in, and she replies, "If I have to maintain the status quo, then no. I won't fit in at all."

She thinks she has an uphill battle here. She refuses to exist as an outsider looking in. She will make waves, and she will fight to become an equal in syndicate. But she thinks she can make it work, and she thinks she would like it here. Even with the work required.
  • I smile faintly at the unspoken words she just shared with me — as contradictory as they are to the lies we often spew from our mouths. Such optimism though... Goodness this woman reminds me of Omo. "Chin up, my dear... Persistence may save you yet — and if not, then other venues will no doubt present themselves."

I think I've learned everything I need here... I finish my glass, and slide it back to the bartender. "Well, my dear Nehi, I do sincerely wish to find you here in Oasis when I wander in next. You're a much needed raindrop in the long stale waters of this town."

OOC: One last question for the road...
    Q3: What does Nehi wish I'd do?
  • Nehi smiles wide at your compliment, and finishes her glass, "Well, thank you very much, Jack. For the drink, and the company. Perhaps next time we can take in a sunset together."

She wishes you would think of her fondly, and check in on her the next time you're in. She thinks you're interesting, and this was the friendliest conversation she's had in Oasis.

What do you do now?
  • I stand and wind up my headphones, carefully tucking them into my pockets, "consider it a date." I bow respectfully, and take my leave of her — going to check on Aquafina by the bar.

I lean in close, a pleased grin lifting the corner of my mouth, "I think you'll be pleased with the business of my contact tomorrow."
  • When you come upon Aquafina, she's telling a whopper of a tale about the merry chase she led the Wendys on getting here. There's a pair of men in their thirties with very clean teeth hanging on every word. They have deep tans and wear long, flowing clothes and smell of spices.

Aqua finishes her tale, which truth be told, could be easily summarized as "We were driving, some Wendys tried to block the road. I went around, they chased us. I drove fast and kicked in the nitro and drove really fast." But she has a knack for storytelling.

The taller one buys her drink and she turns to hear your news. She grins, "Well, you'll be pleased to know that we have a very nice room. With only one bed. And, I am a little tipsy." She beams up at you from her stool and pats your chest lightly.

What do you do?
  • Hmm... My dear...

I smile back at her, and idly check the charge on my iPod. ... At least a few hours... I suspect I should be fine.

I offer the lovely lady my arm and shrug apologetically to her new friends, "Then we best make good use of it, wouldn't you agree, my dear?"

You see, there's a hitch when it comes to intimacy with me. I wonder, on the way up to the room, just how much the lovely lady enjoys classical music...
  • Aquafina pauses before taking your arm, and leans in to give each man a peck on the cheek, "It was nice meeting you fellas. I hope to see you again someday."

Then she spins on the ball of her left foot and takes your proffered arm. "I hope you don't mind the stairs, I wanted a splendid view. I've heard the sunsets over the water are something quite brilliant." She winks,"A handsome traveler told me that."

You end up climbing five stories, which is quite high since Stakes was built on a small hill within the confines of Oasis. She prattles on lightly as you head to the room, but you get a distinct feeling of nervousness from her. Excitement, yes, anticipation, but also nervousness, too.

The room itself is very large, with french doors to an expansive balcony. There are fine rugs on the slate floor, a large, four poster bed and wardrobe in a cozy nook, and a pair of couches in the main area for entertaining guests. Paintings along the walls, the whole thing lit by the sun. It's impressive.

Aquafina squeals and runs for the balcony, throwing open the doors and rushing to the large balcony wall. She pulls you along with her and leans on the wall to look down upon the water.

What do you do?
  • I blush modestly at her mention of this mysterious "handsome traveler" she's swiped this secret from — "My dear, I would climb the highest peak in the mountains to the west at the drop of a hat if it promised the best view." This nervous energy she's begun storing has me intrigued, but I suppress my desire to listen in on her mind. I rather enjoy her company as it is — and I do not seek to put her on edge.

I look around the lavish room as we enter it, appreciating the aesthetic beauty of the objects within it, their arrangement, and the effort people must have gone through to get it to this point. I'm interrupted, of course, by Aquafina's ecstatic tugging at my arm — I oblige with a grin as she throws the doors open and lunges for the balcony. I take a place beside her, leaning idly against the balcony with one hand, and wrapping my free arm around her waist.

"Well now," I whisper, "what a truly unique experience!"
  • She grins when you whisper into her ear and snuggles against you. "I agree, Jack." She keeps her eyes on the impending sunset when she asks idly, "How did you manage to find us some good deals at market today, Jack? And why try so hard on our account?"
  • I watch the sunset a moment, simply marveling in it before pondering my answer. I can understand her discomfort — that a man she's only seen a dozen or so times for no longer than a day or two at a time would offer his services so freely. Trust is a hard thing to come by in this world...

I sniffle a bit, and look down to the beautiful young lady in my arms with a grin. "The debts my friend Rinso was out to settle was with a merchant. My reputation as an excellent judge of character preceded me, evidently, and when he was sated with the arrangement I'd brokered between himself and Rinso — well, he requested my services in the matter of the lady Nehi." I look back out over the sunset, and slick back a strand of my hair that's fallen in my eyes, "as for the effort I've invested in you, my dear, pay no mind to it. It is simply what I do for people as lovely as you."

... Well, now at least.

"That, and I am simply a rubbish shot. If I'm to pay my way back to Boomtown, I figured it was in my best interest to be of use to you."
  • Aqua looks up at you, a pensive look on her soft features. "Jack... you don't have to keep saying those sweet things. It's alright. I'm gonna sleep with you."
  • The mention of intimacy triggers an alarm in a part of my brain that has been dormant for quite some time now... I look away, and suck on the corner of my lip pensively. That I would use my words to manipulate the poor lady in such a way... Is this what she thinks of me? That I lie blatantly in an attempt to trick her into a false sense of security? That I do not, in fact, legitimately enjoy her company?

I should hope not.

For these words I use, they are the intimacy I am comfortable with. They are how I show the affection contained in my heart for the souls which have touched me. The few that have — the few worth knowing. I fear the lack of control that comes with physical intimacy... I am deathly afraid of breaking the people who share their beds with me — and worse, I am even more afraid of delving too deeply into their brains.

I look back to her and shake my head. I whisper calmly, "then what would you have me say, my dear? Lies? No... I think it would be a tragedy to take advantage of such a lovely woman. I would be content to simply watch the sunset with you, and let the stars pass overhead. If my words make you uncomfortable, then I would not have you."
  • For a long moment, Aqua searches your eyes, hers darting from your right to you left. She opens her mouth to speak, but the words don't come for another moment. Finally, she breaks eye contact, looking down at the buildings below, "I'm sorry, Jack. I didn't mean to insult ya. We can... we can just look at the sunset. That's nice." She swallows, then turns to look out at the sunset again, but the muscles in her neck are tenser than before. She seems to withdraw.

What do you do?
  • Well now I'm simply frustrated... My grip on her side slumps, and I bite my cheek. Perhaps my words do offend her...

Perhaps...

OOC: Reading Aquafina. Roll+Weird*. +1XP Rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 14)
  • OOC: Holding 3.
    Q1: What is Aquafina really feeling?
  • Confused. She's really confused because she doesn't trust words. She wants to trust you. She's offering all she has to you, which is herself, tonight, no strings attached. But you keep sweet-talking her like the game is still on, and she doesn't know what that means.
  • I gently touch my fingers to her cheek, and turn her to face me. "Forgive me, my dear... I'm being rude." I pull her into a gentle kiss, remembering that actions often speak louder than words. "I would be thrilled to have you, if that was what you wanted. My words — they are simply an expression of what I believe to be true. The deepest intimacy I believe I can afford someone. I merely meant to say that if my words make you uncomfortable then I would sooner not use them."

I look her in the eyes, and search a little deeper.

OOC:
    Q2: What does Aquafina wish I'd do?
  • She relaxes into the kiss, pressing her body against you. The smile sneaks back on her mouth when you talk some more and she says, "Jack, darlin. You're sweet. I think I passed a big ole tub when I walked out here. Since all I had was a bath house yesterday, I think a nice soak'd be nice. Don't you? Hell... maybe they have windows in there, wouldn't that be nice?"

Aqua breaks contact and starts walking towards the inside, lightly pulling at your hand. It's much less insistent than before, but still an invitation.

Stop talking so much, save it for later. Follow her lead.
  • I suppose if the lady desires me to shut up, then I'd best do just that...

"Why yes... it would be nice."
  • Aquafina leads you to the room she spied with the tub. Mosaic tile on the floor, walls, and ceiling, a clawfoot tub in the middle with two pumps for the water, one hot, one cold. And sure enough, a wide pair of arched windows looking out on the sunset. Aqua gets to work pumping the hot and cold water, alternating to get the consistency right.

What do you do?
  • I would suspect an establishment such as this would have some form of liquor on hand in a room as fine as this — I'll seek it, and some glasses, out. Then I suppose I'll bring a small chair into the bathroom to rest our clothes on.

When the tub is ready, I take my time getting into it — being sure to pour her a glass of whatever I've found to enjoy while we take in the sunset together.
  • edited November 2013
    Aqua strips down without much fanfare. She's a little quick about it, but once she's in the warm water, she luxuriates in it, like a cat. She takes the goblet of some kind of Zinfandel from you and playfully pats the water like she might pat a seat next to her on the couch, inviting you in.

It's a large enough tub for you both, but some water does splash out when you get in, which causes Aquafina to whoop and laugh in surprise, then sink back down once she sees the water running into grates in the floor.

Do you sit opposite her or climb in behind her, Jack?

What do you do?
  • I climb behind her, naturally. I've been told that my body is as soft, and comfortable as the finest cushions in all the flats. I toast the view with her, and watch the sun finally tuck behind the hills on the horizon. When she's comfortable, and amenable, I'll begin washing her with the fine soaps and sponges sitting to the side of me.

I choose the ones that smell of lavender and jasmine — "... a blend of the regal and the exotic," I tell her. I take care to gently rub every inch of her body she'll share with me, and I soak her in like a sponge. I wonder if she would accept me for what I am, if she knew what I am truly capable of... If she would run from the room in fear of what I might do.

I fear it.

Of course, I can conceal it just fine... I reach for my iPod, and present her with the earbuds as I finish washing her back. "Here, my dear. I apologize if the selection is not your particular fancy — but I think you will come to enjoy our soiree all the more if you share in the music which brings me calm."
  • Aqua wasn't kidding when she said she's offering herself to you. She reclines into you and lets you wash her, giggling and saying she doesn't expect you to wash her, but she doesn't stop you.

When it comes to the music, she gives you a sly look and says, "Jack, darlin, I don't wanna listen to any music right now, alright?" She slips around in the tub until she's pressing you against the back of it, and starts kissing you with purpose.

What do you do?
  • ... Ok Jack, now there's no need to panic...

I place a hand on Aqua's cheek, and gently place the earbuds on the table next to my iPod so I can slip my other hand down onto her waist. Just... Be careful. Keep your wits about you!

... Oh my...

She is lovely though, isn't she?
  • Well, unless there's an objection, she's going to see how much water the two of you can splash out of this tub.

Go ahead and roll your Brainer Special.
  • Oh dear...

OOC: Special move. Roll+Weird. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 8)
  • OOC: That's 1 hold to play with, mr MC.
  • Its late at night when you rise from the soft bed to find Aquafina isn't there. She rose not long ago, her side is still warm. You found her sitting on the cold balcony looking through the large spaces between the stones at the base. Looking up at the four moons, the two in the sky, the two in the waters. It's brilliant. Her chin is on her knees and she's still nude. She looks up at you when you join her, a sad look in her eyes.

"Sorry if I woke you, Jack," she apologizes softly. When you slide behind her and cover you both with the satiny blanket, she melts into you. After silent moments, she says, "This has been an amazing night, Jack. You are as great as I always wanted you to be."

Her entire body is so cold against you, "It isn't fair, Jack. Me being here. Like this, with a man like you. Better than I deserve." She stiffens, like she's spoken out of turn, and says quickly, "Don't you try to make me feel better when you don't know, Jack."

"I left Luster Lock to die, Jack," she says quietly, not looking at you. "He was my best friend, and when they came in the night and attacked our caravan, I left him behind. I never went back, I didn't wait. I just," she brings up both hands and slaps them together, pushing one forward like a plane down a runway, "took off."

"I know all the excuses, all the reasons. I know I should be thankful I'm still here. I know all that. But I still feel like drek every time I have a moment like this, and I remember, 'Oh hey, guess who might like this, too? Oh right, the guy I left to die.'" She slumps back into you, and she doesn't cry, but its almost like it.
  • They.

Such a vague, and yet immediately telling word... "They" are the monsters that go bump in the night. The ones who aren't us. The ones who take friends and family, strip them of their humanity – their potential in life – and leave you behind to rot in the fear that it could have happened to you — perhaps even more horribly, that it should have.

"They" are the ones who you need not name — and in this world, "they" have a name. A name that is not spoken in polite company for fear of the tragedies it stirs in our collective minds.

I hold Aqua tightly, letting her speak her piece. I will not judge her, or patronize her. She has suffered loss, and it has affected her greatly. Instead, I watch her — as I have watched countless before — and I am moved. I reach down, and lift her chin to meet my gaze.

I kiss her tenderly.

OOC:
    Q3: How could I get Aquafina to find peace about the death of her friend?
  • She surrenders to the kiss, even moans a tiny bit into your mouth, more of a whimper. Of acceptance, being accepted, accepting you into her private thoughts like she has.

Aquafina would find peace if she could find his body, or if she could revisit the place where she last saw him and put up some memorial. Some physical symbol of him that she can honor, but actually walk away from time to time.
  • I won't spoil the moment — that would be cruel. Instead I'll hold her for a time, let her become comfortable, and support her as best I can.

When I feel she's less upset, I whisper, "where did you last see Luster Lock, my dear?"
  • "We were riding north from Redcliffe to Salt and ended up getting lost, she answers quietly. "It was a day south of Salt when they hit us at night. We thought we were safe."
  • Home sweet home...

I brush her hair sympathetically, and lay her head against my chest to soothe her. "I know that place quite well... Depending on what Rinso finds back in Boomtown, he may be travelling again shortly. If I can convince him to come along, would you be interested in riding out to that place? Perhaps putting up a small monument to your fallen comrade?"
  • Your assurance that you know the place quite well draws a bit of a look, but she lets it go, chalking it up to yet another mystery about you. Then you ask her about riding back out there and you see naked fear flash over her face. She tenses for a moment, looks down, then nods. "Yeah, Jack. I'd like that. I mean, if you don't think we'd repeat history. And to be honest, I'd like you an big ole Rinso with me. But," she looks up, "I think that would be good."

Shall we skip to the next day and meet with Snapple?
  • edited November 2013
    I kiss the young lady's forehead, and rest my nose on the tip of her head. I could fall asleep out here like this... Which says quite a bit, considering an evanescent musing from the other side of town would normally be enough to wake me.

OOC: Let's do that.
  • It's a balmy day, humid, which is a rarity in most places.

You, Honeycrisp, Gala and Aquafina have all your cargo ready to offload. You arrived early at the entrance to the bazaar, Aqua's insistence. Snapple and four large men come up the narrow cobblestone street to greet you, Snapple in the lead. He's all smiles.

"Jack!" He moves forward to embrace you warmly, that big smile of his even wider with the forthcoming deal. "Good to see you." He gestures to his men, "Defjam here will catalog your items and we will work up a deal. Come with me, we need to chat about our side deal, yes?" He tries to lead you away from the others.

Aqua seems like she and Gala have this.

What do you do?
  • Snapple's sudden embrace is surprising, but I smile back and return the embrace. I have no qualms in heading away from the group — when we're in a secluded spot, I pat him on the shoulder and patiently ask, "what would you like to know?"
  • "Tell me what you know of Nehi, please." He says it patiently, friendly, but he's also got the eye of Defjam.
  • edited November 2013
    Right to business I see... Well, I suppose I can do that. "I'm not entirely certain what she's told you, but I gather that the lady Nehi has been moving around a lot lately. She made reference to a few false starts as she's traveled eastward, and is desperately looking for a place to call home." I look around and lower my voice, "it is my opinion that she is looking to improve the general state of things around here, rather than simply tap the resource pool you've already established. She seeks to become an equal in your syndicate — something she's willing to work hard to earn — and I gather she's quite lonely."

I clear my throat, and run my hand down the front of my coat to brush a bit of salt that's stuck to the wool. "And as a bonus, since I think you'll find this applies well to you: I gather she values men who are good with children. She asked how I felt about them, and seemed to base her opinion of me on that."

I look up to him, curious, "in spite of her mysterious past, of which I am merely curious, I think she is quite sincere in her desire to join your community. Does this improve your opinion of her?" I pause a moment, "not that you must tell me, of course, if you would prefer otherwise..."
  • Snapple considers for a moment, then says, "This isn't what I expected to hear." He chuckles, "Its exactly as she explained to us as a group. It felt wrong to me. But you believe her? Ah, of course you do. Am I becoming too cynical? Perhaps, perhaps."

He claps your shoulder, "The children angle. This is new. I appreciate that. We shall see if the Syndicate will accept a brash outsider, but at least I can trust her word to an extent. Thank you, Jack. Is there anything else you need?"
  • edited November 2013
    I smile back at him, pleased that he's opening up to her.

I can feel the jacket pocket where I keep my jingle — it feels lighter than usual — but I shake my head, "so long as you are pleased with the wares my dear Aquafina has brought you, then I shall be sated, and we will take our leave." I offer him my hand, "I hope this information will be of good use to you — my good name is all I really have, after all, my dear sir."
  • Snapple smiles and chuckles. When you offer your hand, he reaches into the pockets of his robe. For a moment, it seems like he might not take your hand. But he does, and presses something cold and metal into your hand, "You should leave here with more than just your good name, Jack." He grins.

It's a silver watch, the kind you wind, quite nice and it's ticking away. Aquafina is finishing up the trade for her cargo, and has listed off items she needs in exchange. The deal is complete except for the pick-up, which will take place in an hour or so.

Is there anything else to do in Oasis, Jack?
  • The ticking of the watch, like a metronome, is a most amusing thing to hear. It keeps such perfect time... It is a pity I'll eventually have to trade it.

I suppose I should collect Rinso, and say goodbye to Charmin – but that will be brief.
  • --END SCENE--