[In and Out] Memorial (4.1)

edited November 2014 in PnR

The Real World

Reggie doesn't mind. She talks to keep you alert, navigates when she knows an exit's coming up. You skip going to the apartment, straight to NC Memorial.

Tandy

Tandy rushes up as you enter the waiting room, even more bleary-eyed and weary than you are, and gives you a hug. "He's in the OR now, Trev. They... they're just not sure." Jake and Tandy's parents are there, of course, and your Mom.

Comments

• Trevian
    I hug Tandy tight, of course. Then I head over to check in on Jake's parents, but I gravitate to my mom pretty quickly.

I pull Reggie in, then. I didn't introduce her to Jake's parents, they've got their own troubles, but I'm not going to miss out on this moment to officially introduce them. In a quiet voice, "Mom, this is my girlfriend Reggie Cooper. Reggie, this is my mom." I should do more, say more. I'm still at a loss. I want to feel more pride. I want to wow my mom with Reggie, but I'm heartsick for Jake.
  • The Real World

Your mom looks at you and Reggie, and immediately pulls both of you into a hug. Tight and close.

"Trevian, I'm so happy for you. Reggie, I'm sorry we're meeting under these circumstances, but I'm sure we'll have plenty ot time." She pulls back, a hand still on your shoulder. "So, right now they're operating for the third time. The doctor seems to think they've taken care of the worst of the internal damage, but there are some things that they have to wait and see. They're working on his left leg and arm now, it's going to be a while, probably." Back into Mom mode, "Do either of you need something to eat? Coffee?"

• Trevian
    I look to Reggie, so thankful Mom is being so good to us. "Some coffee would be good." I'll mostly sit and wait, talk to Tandy, about her, about Jake. I'm not interested in sharing our PRD experiences. Jake's the number one focus.
  • edited November 2014

The Real World

A few snapshots...

While you talk with Jake's folks, reminiscing about basketball and high school dances, Reggie and Tandy sit nearby, talking low with their heads close together.

Your mom and Mrs. Kurumatsu, returning from the cafeteria. Mrs K is laughing at something your mom said, but stops with a guilty look when she sees everyone.

You and Tandy hug for a long time. Minutes spent just holding her and not saying anything.

Reggie and your mom, sitting next to each other, both fall asleep at the same time, then jerk awake.

Margie calls Tandy, frantic. She's in Florida visiting her father, and her phone's been on vibrate in her purse. She's going to drive back first thing.

Finally, at about 3:30 in the morning, the doctor comes through the swinging double doors. His look is serious, but not grim. He looks at you all as you stand. "All the surgeries so far have gone well. Jake's a strong young man, and thank goodness, he was wearing his seatbelt and the airbags prevented any head trauma. We'll know more in twelve hours or so, but I'm optimistic."

Qualified relief spreads through the group. Mrs. K asks, "When can we see him?"

The doctor replies, "It would probably be best to wait until morning. He was heavily anesthetized for the surgery, and I'd like for him to come out of it on his own. You should probably get some sleep. Jake's going to need all of you... it's going to be a long recovery."

• Trevian
    I give mom a warm hug, make sure she's good to drive home, then turn to Reggie. "Stay at my place tonight, okay? I want to get Tandy to come back with us, sleep in her own bed."

I'll head up to Tandy, put an arm around her, "C'mon, Tandy. I'll drive you back to the house. We'll get back here first thing in the morning. You need to sleep on your own bed, and a shower."
  • The Real World

Tandy starts to argue, but Mr. Kurumatsu shuts her down with a look. "Trev is right. Go, sleep. We'll reconvene tomorrow, figure out what to do next."

Jake's door is open when you come into the apartment, his drawing table littered with supplies the way it always is when he's in the middle of a project. Tandy goes straight to her room, saying she'll shower in the morning. Reggie gives you the shower first, so you're already under the sheets when she comes into the room, hair and body wrapped in towels. She slides in beside you, naked, and just holds you for a minute.

Reggie

After a bit, she says, "I love you, Trev. Whatever you need. You and Tandy and Jake." Her voice is tired and sad.

• Trevian
    I slip an arm around her, "This is what I need right now. I love you, too." I kiss her temple, set my phone alarm for 7 AM, then try to get some sleep. Best I can hope for is three hours. But it beats a hospital waiting room chair.
  • The Real World

You fall asleep immediately, and stay dead to the world until your alarm wakes you at seven. Reggie's already out of bed. When you come out, you see Reggie and Tandy both in Jake's room, standing behind the worktable. Reggie has tears streaming down her face.

Tandy

"Come look, Trev." She still looks haggard, but she has a comforting hand on Reggie's shoulder.

You join them, look down at the table and understand. Jake was in the middle of working on a portrait of you and Reggie, and he's really outdone himself so far. The background is only sketched, but the two of you, dressed in casual, everday clothes, are some of the best work you've seen from your old friend. In the picture, Reggie is turned slightly to look at you, and her smile seems to actually cast light onto your face. The image of you is perfect. You're slouched just enough to be 'casual' with a smile of your own that projects a sort of wonder at the world.

Reggie grabs your hand.

• Trevian
    The same chant that I said in my head as I went to sleep comes out of my mouth, "He's going to be okay." I take Reggie's hand like an anchor. "He's going to be okay, you two." I look back over at the portrait. Swallowing gets hard and my eyes water up a little bit.
  • edited November 2014

The Real World

Reggie and Tandy both nod. Reggie says, "Of course he is." She pulls her robe tighter around herself. "Do you guys want me to make breakfast, or are we just doing cereal?"

• Trevian
    I'm still looking at the picture, desperately memorizing it, hoping to see it finished someday soon. "Cereal's good. We need to get back." I don't say where, they know.
  • The Real World

You eat quickly and go. You and Reggie both drive, so she can get to her new apartment, pick up the keys, and see what state the movers left her stuff in. But that'll be later. She's coming to the hospital now. Tandy rides with you, visibly steeling herself for round two of the worst ordeal she's ever faced.

It's about a twenty minute ride to NC Memorial. What do you talk about on the way?

• Trevian
    I decide that talking about Jake is only going to make us both feel like complete crap, so I start off a conversation like this, "Did you know that I met Elon Musk in the PRD?" Then I'll tell her about Tesla Motors and meeting him and Felicity, the tour of the factory, just about everything to keep our minds off it.
  • The Real World

Tandy listens, gradually perking up a little bit. When you get to the fact that you'll be driving a Tesla soon, she punches you in the arm.

Tandy

"You. Are getting a Tesla?" She looks around the inside of your hooptie. "Don't you think a car that classy will just spit you out? It could probably do that."

• Trevian
    I chuckle, "I had that feature removed." I give her a grin, pushing the other stuff aside for this moment. "You're totally going to drive it, too. No doughnuts in parking lots, though."
  • The Real World

The rest of the drive passes like that, a little oasis of time that ends when you see the hospital ahead. You follow Reggie into the parking lot, then back up to the same waiting room as yesterday. The Kurumatsus are already there, of course, talking to the nurse at the desk.

Mr. Kurumatsu sees you come in. "Did you kids get any sleep? They'll let us go in, two at a time, once he wakes up."

• Trevian
    I answer honestly, the humor in my tone gone, left in my hooptie. "Yes sir, we're okay. Thank you for asking." I'm eager and dreading seeing Jake. I want to see him, but I don't want to see injured, hurting him.

• The Real World

Not long after, a physician's assistant comes out. "Mr. and Mrs. Kurumatsu? Jake is awake and asking for you."

Iris and Kazuo give the three of you tight smiles. Iris hugs Tandy and says, "We won't be long, I'm sure, then you can see your brother."

They're gone for maybe ten minutes. When they return, Iris's eyes seem hollow, haunted, and you see her husband's jaw muscles working in frustration or anger. Iris looks at you and Tandy. "You can go in, but be ready, okay? It's pretty bad."

You and Tandy follow the PA to the open door of Jake's room. The disinfectant smell stings your nostrils and eyes, but the sight of Jake is a punch in the gut. His left arm and leg are in inflatable casts, suspended in traction straps. His face is a mottle, pale where it isn't bruised. Tubes run from two IV stands into his right arm.

Jake's eyes are open, and he tries to smile when he sees you, but winces. "Dudes..."

• Trevian
    "Hey buddy," I say as I walk up to his side, making room for Tandy. I let her take his hand while I touch his shoulder softly. "I was all set to grab the limelight with the most interesting week. You really shouldn't have topped me, dude." I'm trying really hard to keep it light. He doesn't need to feel like this is a funeral.
  • The Real World

Tandy

"Oh, ani, (brother) you look like shit. I'm going to kill that bitch, I swear."

He coughs a little and responds. "Nah. Coulda been me, some nights, right?"

Trev, how long is Jake alert enough to chat, and what do you say, just before his eyes close?

• Trevian
    "That's a lie, Jake. You were careful." I answer it quick. I just have a weird need to defend him.

Jake's only up for half an hour or so. Last thing I say to him is, "Yeah, man. Get some rest. We'll check back in, I promise."
  • The Real World

So, you're reluctant to leave, but Reggie does have some business to attend to, so she hangs out for a while feeling kind of useless and then heads to check on her new apartment. Iris is trying to read a book, Kazuo makes a few phone calls but otherwise sort of just sits. You and Tandy get another short visit in with Jake, but the pain meds make it not a very productive one. Jake's parents, you, Tandy, and (by phone) your own folks have a conversation about setting up "shifts" so someone's around all the time.

Reggie comes back a little after noon, pulls you aside.

Reggie

"The apartment's pretty awesome, and, uhh, I brought you something." She slips something into your jacket pocket. "Texted Margie to ask if she knew someone, and made the call. It was kinda weird, but I thought you might need to... relax? I don't like it, myself, but..."

You slip your hand into your pocket, feel a baggie and... well, it feels like a couple joints.

• Trevian
    I make a little face when I feel a baggie, but then I get it. Wow, she's a dream girl. "You so rock, Reggie." I don't bring them out and look, since we're at a hospital. It brings a little bit of relief, less at the pot, more at the effort she went to for it.

Okay, the pot should be nice, too. "I take it you don't wish to partake?" Unless she says she wants to smoke it, I follow up with, "Mind if I go over to a friend's house? Smoking alone is like drinking alone, you know?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

"It's good. Do you want me to come with?"

• Trevian
    I shrug, it's no big deal to me. "If you want. Jessi's place is kind of small, and not always so tidy. Your call, Re Re."

• edited November 2014

The Real World

Reggie

"You haven't seen my place yet. It's mostly boxes right now, but there's a balcony, and one of those heat lamp thingies. It's pretty luxe. You could invite him over, if you want."

• Trevian
    "It's a she, actually." I admit. I don't want to play the "name game", even though I was tempted for a moment. "We work together at the Dipper. Or, well, worked together, since I'm not picking up any shifts right now and focusing on TSol. Anyways, she's cool. If you're good with her coming over, I'll let her know."
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Whatever you want is fine. I'd like to meet her, though. I can sit with you for a while on the balcony and indulge in my vice. Do you want to take my car or yours?"

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    I have this niggling feeling in the back of my brain that this is less than a grand idea. Getting Jessi together with Reggie is not going to work like it did with Erica. I don't even want it to work like that. I like Jessi, even though she's kind of messy and messed up, she's just "tough". Or fiesty. And she makes the same shitty decisions I've made, but isn't lucky like I seem to be lately.

I love Reggie because she makes me a better person. I want to try harder and get things together when I'm around her. Her sister may think she's bossy, but hell, I can use a little bossy from time to time.

To: Jessi It's 4:20. You wanna come over and meet Reggie, too? [address]
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

From: Jessi Well, if it's 4:20, sure. What's the worst that can happen?

You and Reggie get to the apartment first. It's actually pretty amazing. Mostly pre-furnished, and the furniture doesn't seem very 'Reggie,' but there are two big bedrooms (one already sort of set up as a study/office), a really nice kitchen, and a living room/dining room that's definitely big enough to throw a decent party in. The balcony has enough room for four people to sit comfortably.

Reggie

"The little brochure the super gave me says there's a roof garden, too, that you can reserve for cookouts and things. Oh, and the garage has a 220 volt charging station for electric cars. I just wish all the furniture didn't have that 'picked out from a catalog by a guy in a suit' feel. The bed's big, though."

The two of you are puttering around, just putting stuff away in the kitchen, when you hear a chime and the little screen by the kitchen door lights up. A young man appears. "You have a guest, Ms. Cooper. Jessi? Shall I send her up?" Reggie says yes, and a minute or two later, the doorbell rings. You let Jessi in and see her eyes taking in the size of the place, compared to your apartment and hers.

Reggie

Reggie holds out a hand for Jessi to shake. "It's nice to meet you, Jessi. I've loved all of Trev's friends so far."

Jessi

Jessi takes Reggie's hand. "Nice to meet you, too. Nice place."

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    I hang back, watching the two of them interact. Seems casual. No barbs, no mean looks. "Jess is originally from Cali, Ree Ree. She got here like..." I look over to Jessi to kind of "bring her in", "Like eight months ago? We met while working at Big Dipper, like I told you."

I look over at Reggie. "Reggie starts her veterinary medicine degree next semester. She has a pretty cool cat named Jack Aubrey." I'm sort of near both of them but trying not to stand too close to Reggie. I don't want to "mark territory" or make Jessi feel weird. It'd be really cool if we could stay friends.

As long as that doesn't spark anything odd, I say, "MT sported Reggie this killer pad while we're in the TSol thing. Isn't it crazy?" I'll give her a nickel tour with Reggie, but try my best to make this "Reggie's place", since it certainly is.
  • The Real World

As you take the quick tour, Jack Aubrey makes himself known, twining around Jessi's legs and purring loudly. Both girls smile.

Reggie

"I turned on the heatlamp thingy. Do you want to sit on the balcony for a while? I want to go to the grocery store before we head back to the hospital, but I'm dying for a cigarette." You don't think Reggie's had a smoke since you left Lansing. At least you haven't seen her.

Jessi

"Hospital? What happened?"

• Trevian
    I give Reggie a nod and sort of usher Jessi out towards the balcony. "Jake's been in a car accident. He's pretty messed up." I pull out J number one and light it off Reggie's cig, which I'm sure is lit already. I offer Jessi the first toke.

"He's had multiple surgeries and he's on a ton of meds, but he's doing better." I pause, then I add, more for me than her, "He's going to be okay."
  • The Real World

Jessi

Jessi gives you a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, Trev. Jake's a good guy. Let me know if you need anything, really."

The three of you sit for a while, chatting, feeling the mellow grow. There's no warmth between Jessi and Reggie, really, but there's no antagonism, either. Reggie's cigarette is finished long before you and Jessi are done with your joints.

Reggie

"Trev, I'm going to make that grocery store run, and see if I can find a liquor store, too. Anything in particular you want me to stock up on?"

• Trevian
    I'm leaning against the railing near the heat lamp. "Some Ragu Old World Style and a shitton of noodles. I'll cook us some s'ghetti. Jess, you're sticking around for a bit, maybe eat with us?"
  • The Real World

Jessi

Jessi considers. "I'd love to stay for lunch, but I have to do some things before work tonight." She takes another toke.

Reggie

"Another time, then? Trev, I shouldn't be too long, maybe forty-five minutes or so."

She leaves the balcony, and you hear the jingle of keys and the shutting of the apartment door not long after.

Jessi

"She seems nice." Unenthusiastic, maybe, but not sarcastic.

• Trevian
    "She is." I answer. I take a nice hit, hold it, let the smoke fill my lungs, then exhale. Ree Ree got some good shit. I grin as I hand it over, "How you doing? How's the Dipper without my wonderful self?"
  • The Real World

Jessi

Jessi chuckles. "Same shithole, just a little less interesting without you. I had this couple the other night? Anniversary, I think, pretty young. She must've thought the tablecloths were longer or something, because she was totally giving him a foot job under the table, and everyone could see. I didn't say anything, just smiled and gave them their chocolate."

• Trevian
    I smile and nod, feeling good from the herb and loving the shop talk. This is so great. I dig me some Jessi time. This could really work. "That's hilarious. Reminds me of Dick Whipout. Remember him? He'd spank it to that server Shelia, right there at the table as she was taking his order. I don't blame her for quitting, and it was a shitty thing at the time. But well, now it's just some weird Dipper Story." I take the J back, take a good hit.

"This is cool, right? I meant it when I said I wanted to still hang out.... is this cool?" I look at her with half-lidded eyes. She looks kinda hot today. The cold's kind of obvious, too, if you know what I mean.
  • The Real World

Jessi

"Sure, it's cool, Trev. I do miss you. And not just that thing you do with your tongue." With a lazy smile, she reaches for the joint back and her fingers stroke your hand just a little bit as she takes it from you.

"Ooh, speaking of sex and the Dipper, Jenny got a little dipping of her own. She thought everyone was gone, I guess, but I came back for my purse and she and that guy Bill? Started not long before you sort of faded, tall dude with the ponytail? Anyway, Bill had her bent over the desk in the office, just going at it like he was Germany and she was Poland. Their backs were to me, so I watched for a little bit before I grabbed my bag and backed out real quiet. He's hung. I had to use my special toy that night." She licks her lips.

• Trevian
    I'm nodding, get a little semi listening to Jessi's dirty talk. "Damn, Jenny is a dirty, dirty girl." I let her stroke my hand, it feels nice. "That's pretty hot, you and that toy."
  • The Real World

Jessi

She hands you back the joint, then puts her hand on your knee, just casually, and leans in. "It was hot, Trev. Do you want me to tell you about it?"

• Trevian
    This is a horrible idea. I'm stoned. I have been an emotional wreck for a few days now. I think Jessi is hot. I'm stoned... shit, I said that.

I take a hit, then I nod.
  • The Real World

Jessi

Her hand still on your knee, Jessi describes how she got naked on her bed and started touching herself, then decided fingers weren't enough after thinking about Bill's big tool. "So, I got out my new special friend. It's big, and it's got this little extra bit that hooks up and out from the base. It's called 'Mr. Shocker,' if that gives you the idea. So, I turned it on, and just let the tip buzz against my..." She continues, giving you the whole play by play. Sometime around the first orgasm, her hand starts moving up your thigh.

• Trevian
    I have a wide grin when she talks about "Mr. Shocker". I lean back a little, and Lil T is awake. Damn, this is hot. And stupid.

When she reaches Lil T, I put the roach in my lips and gently reach down, take her wrist. I shake my head. "Jess, I can't. I wanna. But I just.... I'm sorry." I'm still holding her hand for a minute, then I move it over to her side, to her chair.

I wish I could split myself and send half of me home with her right the hell now.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Jessi

Jessi pouts, but then breaks into a little laugh. "Damn, I almost had you. I mean, look at that hard-on! I bet you'd really love it if I ignored you right now, just unzipped you and popped it in my mouth." Instead of acting on that, though, she stubs the joint out and stands. "It's sweet, you and Reggie. I'm cool hanging out, Trev, and seriously I'm here if you need me, but don't expect it to be uncomplicated. I'm Sabrina Carter's Cato to your Fred Savage Clouseau, but instead of karate chops, it's hardons. Be ready, Pink Panther. Be Ready."

• Trevian
    I would love it.

"Alright, Cato, I know, I know." I stand up and head over to take the roach so I can throw it away. "I want to try this. Friends. We can be friends." I need you around, right now, Jessi.
  • The Real World

Jessi

"Alright, Pink Panther." She moves in for a hug. "Seriously, though, let me know if you need anything. I know you and Jake are tight, it's got to be awful, what you're going through." She leans toward you for a kiss, moves at the last moment to plant it on your cheek. "Be good, Trev. Or be good at it. Keep in touch." She moves to head back through the balcony door.

• Trevian
    Whew. Glad that kiss missed the mark. My heart fluttered a little.

I follow her into the living room, and it's probably time for her to go, so I walk with her towards the front door. "Thanks for being cool, Jess. You're a good friend." I kiss her temple, then open the door. And yeah, my hands on the small of her back for a moment. It feels nice.
  • The Real World

Jessi leaves with that crooked smile. Reggie's not back yet, and you're alone in her new apartment, probably (?) still with a pretty full-blown boner.

What do you do?

• Trevian
    I do what any red blooded male with a girlfriend coming home soon would do. I spank it so Lil T's relaxed by the time Reggie comes home.

I mean, sure, I could lie in wait in the bed and hump her brains out, but I think that's likely to backfire. I mean, Reggie's pretty damn perceptive. I'm also a shitty liar.
  • The Real World

You finish pretty quickly, and you're back in the kitchen putting things in cupboards (Reggie made her plan clear for what goes where earlier) when Reggie returns, arms laden with grocery bags.

Reggie

She gives you a quick kiss. "Hey, do you mind helping me get the rest of the stuff from the car? Oh, how was your visit? Jessi seems pretty cool." Again, no enthusiasm, but no hostility, either.

• Trevian
    We go out to the car. On the way, I answer her question, "Jess is good. We caught up on work gossip, talked about Jake. And you. She's a good buddy. I'm glad you're cool about this." I mean it, too.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"I don't see any reason not to be. I mean, I don't think she and I are gonna click like happened with Tandy and Jake, but I mean it when I say she seems cool." Clearly moving on, as if that's settled, "So, I got lots of spaghetti and sauce. Do you think we should make enough to bring some for whoever's at the hospital? There's a microwave and the nurses have a fridge I bet they'd share under the circumstances."

When you get back to the apartment, arms laden, she gets to work putting away groceries. It's clear that she has already figured out what goes where. She also picked up some decent beer, a few bottles of wine, and a handle of Jack Daniels. Just enough to call the apartment stocked.

• Trevian
    This is pretty great, she knows how to make a home. As tempted as I am to sleep with Jessi, Reggie's the girl I could really settle down with. I start getting things going for a huge pot of spaghetti, "Let's make the biggest batch of s'ghetti we can. Sharing's always good. Yo, can you pour me a Corona? Did you get any limes?" I find I'm smiling a little, not just the permagrin, but genuinely enjoying this moment here with my girl.

Of course, I'm staying at my apartment. I just can't leave Tandy alone right now. So, I haven't asked to stay here, even though I don't know if it's assumed or what.
  • The Real World

Reggie pours you a Corona. "Did I buy limes? Would I, Reggie Cooper, buy Corona and forget the limes? No, sir. No, I would not." She grabs one from the drawer in the fridge, cuts a wedge and hooks it on the rim of your glass. She gets herself a glass of water and starts working on making a salad.

Reggie's humming something as she works, something you recognize. What is it?

• Trevian
    It's Sunday Morning by No Doubt. She's a Gwen Stefani fan, what can I say? Before Erica, I'd declared she could sleep with Gwen (who's still a little MILF), if the chance ever arose, no questions asked. It was mostly a joke between us. Now, well it's still true, but after seeing how much she enjoys the company of at least one woman, it's different. A girl telling you she's had sex with another girl is one thing. Seeing it in action, that's another. Not complaining.

I alternate between cooking, drinking my Corona, and after I Shazam her rendition and play the original on my phone and dance a little. More like dance around, you know? I've still got cooking to go. I check over her spices, not a bad start. I go for some cilantro and a heavy amount of bay, a hint of garlic and a dash of crushed red pepper. Sounds a little odd, maybe, but I've never had any complaints.

"Reggie," I say as I take a drink of my Corona. "So I'm on the level, I've hooked up with Jessi. In the past. Before you. I'm with you, and I want you to know. Not to make you worry, but so you don't think I'm hiding anything." I let that lie there, wait for her reaction before I say anything else.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Reggie

Reggie keeps slicing. "It's okay, T. I knew there was someone, right before we got together. There was for me, too, remember? If you say it's done, it's done. It would have been nice to have known when I met her, though."

Reggie's phone rings. She wipes her hands and checks it, looks at you. "It's Erica!" She puts the phone on the counter and puts it on speaker. "Hey, Erica, what's up? Trev's here with me, on speaker."

Erica

"Hey, guys. Just checking in. Trev, how are you? And your friend? I called Reggie in case you were busy at the hospital and couldn't talk."

• Trevian
    When she admonishes me for not warning her up front, I nod in agreement, "You're right. It wasn't easy for me to up and say it." I take a drink of my Corona, then, "It's done. I'm all yours."

Then Erica calls.

I reply, "We're cooking some food for the family and friends keeping vigil. He's had a number of surgeries, but he's going to be okay. It's been a rough couple days." I slip an arm around Reggie, my rock. "How's everyone up there?" Then I ask what I want to know more, "How are you, Erica?" We miss you.
  • The Real World

Erica

"Everyone's pretty much the same, sweetie. Our last few days haven't been quite as long as yours. Oh, Zero wants a mailing address for one of you, though. He was supposed to give you something while you were here, something for the quest, and it was such a whirlwind when you left..."

Reggie looks at you like, "You or me?"

• Trevian
    I point to Reggie. She has a much more secure thing here than my apartment. "Yeah, sorry about that, Erica." I know she knows it couldn't be helped, but I can't help it. "We miss you." At least, I do. Pretty sure Reggie does, too.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"We do..." Reggie gives her the address, and you chat for a few more minutes.

Erica

"It's so good to hear you guys' voices. I know we only really knew each other a few days, but... well there's the family you're born to and the family you choose, right? If it doesn't seem too stalker-y, I choose you two."

"You, too, Erica." There's a little catch in her voice.

• Trevian
    I have less than family-type ideas about Erica, but there is definitely kinship. Reggie's emotion is beautiful, like everything else about her. "Yeah, Erica. We choose you, too."
  • The Real World

The call comes to an end just about at the time that the spaghetti's perfectly al dente. You put everything together and sit down for your own lunch before bringing the rest back to the hospital.

Reggie pours herself a glass of red wine and sits down.

Reggie

She gets an uncomfortable but determined look for a sec, then says, "T, do you mind if we come back to the thing with Toby and sharing and all, now that we're a little more calm?"

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    I open a fresh Corona and sit with her. "Sure." I take a drink, "What do you want to talk about... about it?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie takes a sip of her wine. "A few things, first just to establish a baseline. First, we're partners, you and I. Not just in theory, but legally. We signed that contract between the two of us even before Tonya called. Second, we've gotten a lot of benefit out of the Black Marlin deal, even this new thing with Tesla, and people keep saying it's because we're cute, but it's mostly because we're really good at what we're doing, in the game. Anything that risks our progress, risks us staying toward the front of the leaderboard, dilutes our value to M-T and anyone else. And helping other people that have sponsorships is sort of actually working against M-T's goals, in a way. Third, money. It's a lot of money."

She pauses for a sip of wine. "So, I guess my point is this. We need to figure it out before the next time it comes up in the game." Another sip. "Trev, I love you, and I love Twilight Solstice, and if actually trying to win this quest is going to get in the way of either of those things, I'd rather ask Tonya to find a way for us to back out of our contract. It's not too much money yet, we can figure out a way to pay them back."

She takes a bite of salad and chews for a long time.

• Trevian
    Wow. Reggie just offered up the quest and the sponsorship for us. Not an hour after I almost cheated on her. Almost. I feel like a dick now. Well, more than I already did.

"I love you, too." I lead off, because that's the most important. "You're right. I didn't have my head in the game... at least not this quest, which is like it's own game. And I was playing nice. I was playing... well, wrong." I quirk a half-frown, uncomfortable with admitting my playstyle was jacked.

"I'm in this to win it. For Eve, because I am egotistical enough to think we'd appreciate her story more than Tobes or any of the others. And yeah, the money would make life pretty easy. The fame, it's great and all." I'm kind of rambling. "I'm not a sellout. I don't want to shit on my friends. I don't want to look back at this and regret. Because, really, there's only one winner. And the rest are a bunch of wanna-bes. If I end up a wanna-be, I don't want to hate myself."

I look back up at her, reach over to take one of her hands in mine, get her attention. "I want to win this. I realize I've got to do it me and you, and play to win. I'm not going to cheat. If I call a duel, I want you to respect it. But... I probably won't call any more duels, unless it's the only way. So, I play hard, we play together, we play the way Eve wanted us to play, with honor. Is that fair?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie eats in silence for a minute, thoughtful, then nods. "PvP as last resort, and talk to me before issuing a duel if it's at all possible? And... if Toby or anyone else jumps you without being as chivalrous as you are, then I can act as I see fit. I can agree to that."

• Trevian
    "Kiss on it?" I lean forward. I assume, after she swallows her salad, doesn't fight it. Then I'm done. We're solid. I bear back a demon and we came to an accord. I just leveled up as a boyfriend, dammit.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie does return the kiss, with a little bit of interest. "Trev, sometimes I think you're too good to be true." You finish your lunch and get to work packing up the rest for transport.

Fast-forward several hours. Another surgery comes and goes. Tandy's left for a while and returned. Mr. and Mrs. K are both at the hospital, still, despite the "shifts" you've supposedly set up. Your dad shows up just before Reggie leaves again, heading back to the apartment to finish unpacking. According to Tandy, Margie's due to pull into the parking lot in about 15 minutes.

Oh, everyone's had a bit of the spaghetti and salad, and the bread Reggie bought. You're totally a hero right now.

• Trevian
    I think "too good to be true" means "I'm getting laid tonight". I'm rather sure of this.

I'll hang with Tandy for a bit. "Hey, guess what?" I say as we sit there on the bolted-together chairs and look at Dr. Phil and wish it weren't Dr. Phil. "I told Reggie that I used to hook up with Jessi, and she was cool with it. I assured her I was with her, I mean Reggie, but still. It was cool."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy punches you in the arm, hard. Like, really hard. "You're an idiot, Trey-Trey. Reggie moved here for you. Even if it was the right thing for her, school-wise, don't think she didn't. She rearranged her life in, what, two weeks, was it even that... when she could've taken her time for it, if she was just coming here for her fancy double degree. Your old fuck-buddy isn't what she's worried about, it's what's next."

• Trevian
    I hold up my hands to avoid a second punch. "First of all... ow." Then I cock my head, "What do you mean? She hates pot, and me and Jessi can still hang out. It'll be okay, Tandy. For serious. And now, there's no gotcha, like if somebody rolls up and says, 'Oh hey, Trev and Jessi used to hook up'. I didn't want to lie to her."
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Tandy

"I'm not talking about why it's okay, in the end... or pot. I'm talking about why Reggie's so cool with it. You broke her plan, Trev. I'm pretty sure she was going to be a successful thirty-something Vet or researcher in her mind when she found her soulmate, and you busted her soulmate cherry ten years early. She's cool with you and Jessi hanging out because... well..." Tandy's face softens. "You had to go and be... you. Who doesn't love you? But she caught the bug bad. She can't see whether Jessi's a threat or not, she just sees you."

• Trevian
    "She's pretty driven, yeah." Did she just say she loves me? I should follow up on tha- no, push it out of my head. "I don't want to derail her life. I'm trying really hard, Tandy. Every relationship I've had before," which was high school, granted, "It's fallen to shit. She's special. You think I'm... holding her back?"
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy punches you again. "You're not holding anyone back. Just try to be as good as she thinks you are. As we all think you are. You're a prize, Trev, it's just that no-one's opened the wrapping yet." She takes a bite out of the little bowl of spaghetti she microwaved. "This is good!"

• Trevian
    Pre-Reggie Trev would be freaking out right now. Part of my brain is still processing:
    1. Tandy said she loves me.
    2. Tandy talked about unwrapping me.
    But it's such a tiny part now. I'm pretty shocked, really.

I sit there, mulling over the idea of everyone expecting more out of me. Isn't a surprise, not really. Mom's made it clear on a few occasions. I just never. Hrm. Never gave this much of a shit. I smile a little when Tandy compliments the s'ghetti. I like cooking. I'm not trained or anything, but I've worked as a short order for a bit, and I help out at the Dipper from time to time. I pick things up.

"Thanks, Tandy." I say after a bit. "I love you, too." And there's no angle, no secret pining in that. I've passed a hurdle. Or something. She's just Tandy, my friend.
  • The Real World

Tandy

"You're a doofus, Trey-Trey." She comes in for a long, tight hug, then pulls back. "So, what're we going to do about Jake? You and I can't be here 24/7, and even when they let him out, it's going to be a long road, even with the biopolymers and all that. He's going to go crazy if he can't be active. We need a plan."

• Trevian
    I think about it for a minute, reaching a hand to the back of my neck, "Well, I'm not moving in with Reggie, mostly so I can help out. I'm getting a stipend from M-T for TSol play, so I'm not picking up any shifts at the Dipper. I should be around alot more." I look at her for a moment, "Do you have some kind of schedule thought out? I'll do whatever I can. Whatever he needs."
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Tandy

"We'll figure it out, Trey-Trey."

Margie

Margie comes in at a trot, comes straight to you and Tandy. "Tandy, thanks for keeping me in the loop. Is Jake still in ICU?"

"They're moving him to a regular room as soon as they get it ready. Probably be a half hour before we can see him again. He's doing pretty well, Margie. I mean, considering."

• Trevian
    Quick hug for Margie, for comfort, and yes, she's huggable. "Thanks for coming. I know he'll want to see you as soon as possible. Probably more than me." I give her an encouraging smile. "I brought some s'ghetti. You want a little while we wait?"

Whether she eats or not, I check in with her, "How are you doing, Margie? You need anything?"
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Margie

Margie accepts some spaghetti with gratitude. "I've been running on adrenaline and caffeine since this morning, didn't sleep great last night, and didn't want to stop other than to pee and grab junk food. This is great."

Tandy

"Margie, you can relax a little, now. Jake's not out of the woods, but he's on the trail. Slow down, breathe, okay? We've got a little time." Her hand goes to Margie's shoulder and squeezes.

Margie sets the spaghetti down, leans back, closes her eyes, and pinches her nose with the fingers of her right hand. After a minute, she blows out a breath and opens her eyes again. "Thanks, Tandy. I was so frantic, I almost drove through the night." Just the hint of a weary smile. "Don't suppose either of you has a flask?" It's clear she's mostly joking.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Like I said, your dad got there just before Reggie left. How'd that meeting go?

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    I move over to sit by Margie, "Number one, you should stay with us tonight. Number two, I don't have anything to drink here, but I've got some herb. If you want to spark it and relax, that's fine by me." I'm serious.

Dad was unexpected. He was always a little less involved. He asked me a ton of questions, was pretty happy for the flash of Reggie, she makes a good first impression, being pretty and smart and collected. In short, I'm not complaining.
  • The Real World

Margie

Margie smiles at both your offers. "I'm a big girl, and I've been away from my place for a while, so it'll be good for me to get home. Thanks, though. I will not say no to a little weed, though, for later."

Time passes, you chat. They settle Jake in his new room and let you know where he is. His parents and your dad go in first, then it's your turn. Do all three of you go in together? Margie's not sure whether she wants to go alone or wants some backup, so it's up to you or Tandy to make the decision.

• Trevian
    "Tandy," I say, to break the odd moment of indecision. "Why don't you go in with Margie. I can wait. You'll butter him up so he'll be in a better mood when I come in." I'll head over to sit with dad. I'm really happy he stuck around. I hope he gets off his phone long enough to actually, you know, bullshit for a bit.
  • The Real World

Your father puts away his phone and turns in his seat a little. "So, you said you spent a few days in Detroit, didn't you? How was that? An old college buddy moved there about a year ago, after his divorce. Working at some sort of forge, of all things."

• Trevian
    I lean in, "Are you serious? I saw that forge!" I grin, hopeful we can connect. "I went on a tour of a few places in the PRD with a guy named Zero. He's a great guy. That forge your buddy works at is amazing." I catch his eye, "You know... we could go visit your buddy sometime. Once Jake is home, I'm able to make some short trips. It could be fun."
  • The Real World

"We'll see, son." You hear the buzz of his phone vibrating in his pocket. He pulls it out. "Marks." Listens for a second, then holds up a finger, stands and walks a few feet away, talking.

Jake's mom and dad come over. "Trevian," his dad says, looking tired. "Just so you know, we're planning on bringing Jake home with us when he's released, at least for a while. We've got more space. We'll make sure his rent's paid until he can get back to work." He says that last, get back to work like a mantra.

• Trevian
    "Are you sure? I'm not working at the Dipper, I'd planned on being around to help with whatever he needed." The words come out quickly, but with respect. Then, I ask, "What does Jake think about it?"
  • The Real World

Mrs. K says, simply, "Trevian, you have a life of your own. We're Jake's parents, it's our job to take care of our son. Jake hates the idea of being dependent on us, but understood the point. We'll let him decide when his head's clearer, but his father and I can be very persuasive, when it comes to our children. You know you'll be welcome whenever you like. And we know you'd do anything for him. So does he."

• Trevian
    I hug them both, even if it's a bit forward, I can't help it. "I love you both. I'll be around, and if you need a break, or whatever, you need to call me."

I'll hang out with them until it's my turn to see Jake.
  • The Real World

They ask about Reggie and your trip. You keep back the whole Tesla thing, knowing that Mr. K will flip his lid when he sees it drive up, and relishing the chance to surprise him. After a while, Tandy and Margie come back out. Margie looks shaken, but she's holding up. After a quick hug for both girls, you make your way to your best friend's room.

Jake's still hooked up to a bunch of tubes, arm and leg still in traction, but he seems more alert than last time you saw him.

Jake

"Bro. Hey. You wanna go shoot some hoops?" His laugh seems to tire him out, but he manages a smile.

• Trevian
    "I think this is probably enough of a handicap, yeah." I answer, trying to keep it light, like him. "You're looking better."

It hurts seeing him jacked up. But man, it's good to talk to him. I wouldn't trade this for anything.
  • The Real World

Jake

"So, here's the thing. I want to talk about anything but me. Tell me a story, bro. How're things? How was your trip?" He clicks SportsCenter off the TV and gets comfortable looking at you.

• Trevian
    "Okay, I can do that." I say with some relief. "Do you want to hear about me knocking out some of my Never Have I Ever list or about the thing that will make your dad crap his pants?" I pause for dramatic effect. Jake's the only person I'd tell about Erica. Probably. well, while sober.
  • The Real World

Jake

Jake brightens. "Both! In that order." He coughs, and winces, but his eyes remain clear, focused on you.

• Trevian
    I check the door, make sure we're alone, then scoot my chair closer. I talk in low, excited tones. "In PRD, you know, old Detroit, we went to this art commune Eve had set up, really killer. Lots of neat folks, including a girl named Erica." I pull out my phone and show him her pic. She's smiling in this one, looks pretty adorable, and innocent, if you can believe it. "So, Reggie and Erica hit it off. I mean, it's like, serious sparks." I make a hissing noise, then pretend to touch the metal part of his bed and jerk back like I was electrocuted.

"And you can't tell Tandy. Or Margie. Ever." I swear him to secrecy. "So, Reggie comes to me and says she is, you know, interested. And I tell her, well, I am, too. And Erica's down for it. So.... you do the math, bro. Two nights. In a row."

"All the things." I wiggle my eyebrows.
  • The Real World

Jake

Jake brings his right fist up for a bump, slowly. "Dude... wow. Two nights in a row? How was that? I mean, awesome, from the look on your face, but was it 'there's no such thing as a bad blowjob' awesome, or awesome-awesome?"

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    "It was better than awesome." I gloat. "Double beej. toys, blindfolds, rope. All the things, dude. It blew my mind. I was sore as hell on my drive home. I almost had... chafing." I'm smiling like the Mad Hatter.
  • The Real World

Jake

Jake chuckles, then coughs again, pushes the button for the pain drip. "Bro, that's... awful? Awesome. Tell me what's gonna make Pops shit his... pants."