Hx:
Valentine+1
Dog+1
Vignette+1
SeaTac+1
Bon+1
August+1

Moves:

Fortunes: At the beginning of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want. If their surplus lists barter, like 1-barter or 2-barter, that’s your personal share, to spend for your lifestyle or for what you will.

Charismatic: when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

Divine Protection: your gods give you 1-armor. If you wear armor, use that instead, they don’t add.

Oftener Right: when a character comes to me for advice, they get +1, I get 1 exp.

Spooky Intense: AUF with weird.

Frenzy: Speak truth to a mob.

Followers:

Gates' cult / who follow him if he travels / fortunes+1 / barter+1 / want +disease, +hunger

Gates' followers are dedicated to him. Surplus: +1barter, and replace want: desertion with want: hunger.

Gates' followers are hard-working, no-nonsense. Surplus: +1barter.

Gates has few followers, only about 10. Surplus: -1barter.

Gates' followers disdain fashion, luxury and convention. Want: +disease

EXP: 4

Advancement:

x Choose a move from another playbook
x Choose a move from another playbook
x Choose a new Hocus move

Comments

• How long have you had these followers, Gates? What do you offer them that they cannot get anywhere else?
  • edited May 2015

Been a few years now since the first one started following me. More not long after that. I dinna ask for 'em to follow, they just did. I talked and they listened. I worked and they helped. Then, eventually, they started talkin' and workin' for their own selves.

We live in a chaotic time. An epoch of unrivaled malaise and disorganization. When the whole world around ya is fallin' inta shambles, it ain't never easier to let yourself fall to sin. When no one holds ya to account, why not just do what feels good? Drug yerself, drink yerself, and fornicate yerself into a stupor while you wait to die.

But meanin' in life comes from work. From suffering. From the sweat of your brow. Meanin' comes from taking some pride in yerself and who you are, what you do, what yer body and yer mind are worth. God ain't never closer to you then when yer fighting back against the ache of the world.

People out there want to sell my family trinkets, or take stuff from 'em, or use 'em for somethin'.

I just show them what a person with pride doin' an honest day o' labor looks like.

And then they know.
  • edited December 2015
    Gates' followers:

Ghost
    Easy
    Jones
    Bobblehead
    Stumptown
    QuePasa
    Fremont
    Rei
    Troll
    Utilikilt

Generally speaking, they are well dressed, polite, quiet, hardworking, and friendly but distant. You know... the Seattle freeze, they call it.
  • Hey Gates, I read that your people disdain fashion, and yet they manage to be well-dressed? How's that work? (Might be a mechanical question to work out, or it could be a color thing)
    Which one of your people got smashed up riding shotgun in Valentine's show? Are you ok with that?
  • Good questions.

For the fashion, we disdain flashy fashion. We are well dressed, but in a simple way. This sort of look:

Modest, clean, betraying our attention to detail and seriousness.
  • As for Valentine... Let me think.

Rei, Rei, Rei...

What in our Lord's name am I gonna do with you, little sister?

Valentine's place provides some good toil for us, but I'm not so sure we should be spending time there after hours. And participating in her show? Well that just seems like takin' a big swig of the devil's rain, don't it?

And now, who knows if you'll ever be able to use that arm again? Not even sure how you'll make yourself useful while you convalesce.

I love you, though, sister, sure as our Lord does. So it brings my heart joy to forgive you. But we ever catch word of ya heading back over to that show, well, then you'll be testin' our Lord's ability to grant forgiveness. And you know what happens when our Lord runs out of the ability to forgive...
  • edited June 2015
    About the family:

The family definitely drink coffee. We're faithful, not inhuman. As for the rest, we generally practice self restraint. Folks can drink (I already did with FortyFour) although we strongly encourage moderation. Relationships are permitted. Inside the family is smiled upon, outside is okay, too, but hopefully they can get their partner together with us. Marriages are preferred, monogamy is expected, breakups/divorces are discouraged, but acceptable given dire circumstances (and may result in one party being cast out). We frown on excessive fornication. Drugs are generally avoided. Cause for being cast out: sexual coercion of someone, excessive fornication, too much drinking or getting high, too much indulgence in general, shirking in your duties and work, stirring too much animosity between folks. First we'll give you a warning and try to bring you closer. We're forgiving, like the Lord. After that, though, and you may get cast out. On rare occasions, we've had rituals of corrections for folks who didn't want to be cast out but were unable to correct themselves. The rituals are... unpleasant for all involved.