[Fury] Check-ups (Bon 5.0+5.2 and Dog 5.0)

edited November 2015 in Fury

Bon and Dog,

A few days have passed since the big shindig at Yellowhouse. The inside gang of Safeco has grown, picking up new bodies from around the outskirts and handing them guns and weapons. Complaints from folks being roughed up for minor infractions and the inside gang has started roaming outside, too. In trucks and cars. Right now, it seems like the Admiral's rattling his saber. He hasn't made any big announcements about his plans.

Today, however, is Motor Duel Day!

First, Bon, let’s see how your full infirmary has fared. Please roll+Sharp. On a hit, choose options. On a 7-9, choose one. On a 10+, choose two
- you have figured a way to keep the red from progressing (given that you pay 2 barter per session and victims are in your infirmary)
- Lissa has fully recovered and freed up a bed in the infirmary (in the good way)
- Shy gave you a sample of Home for research

Dog, you've been invited to meet with Admiral at the Yacht Club later.

photo Bons Clinic_zpsvk8rueei.png
You're both at the clinic, in the basement of Safeco. Shy and Mox are looking after the patients while you stand at Sounder's bedside. She's sitting up in her bed, eager to leave.

Bon, why are you keeping her here right now? Is it a final check-up, or is there some other reason?

Sounder
"Dog! How are things? I hear you gave my soaking ride away?" She's as loud as ever, giving you a hard look.

What do you do?

Comments

• photo Dog3recolor.png

"Sounder! No way, you heard wrong. Grunge is riding 'Duke's bike now. Shy is learning on yours, but no way is it hers. Once you're back, that's all done, we'll tell her to put more hustle on finding her own." It's a little mean to have Shy learning on Soundy's ride, but she's showing promise even on that picky, jumpy beast.

It's good to get a warmup, buttin' heads with Sounder here before seein' Admiral.

Plus, I been curious about Bon and how she's feelin'. Looks like she's been puttin' even more work into the infirmary here, may outgrow the space soon. Means she hasn't been resting.
  • edited October 2015
    photo 407c34df-d900-4bfc-986f-93006c35f4e9_zpsydjzcb0d.jpg

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 6)
  • edited October 2015

I have found myself in want of sleep since the night of the party, the thoughts of August and I together in that room have filled what would normally be the cool silences in my mind and made true sleep more difficult for me even than usual. For both days since then I have been the one to take the late shift at the clinic, letting Mox and Shy go to the pile and not truly leaving the clinic myself, even when they are there.

Yet restless as I am, there is a warm buoyant energy in me with those thoughts, a strange clarity that I have often heard described by addicts when they are on a particularly good episode of intoxication. In the midst of that first night, contemplating for the hundredth time the feel of her hands upon my skin, I suddenly hit upon an idea regarding the red progression and a peculiar and unorthodox combination of blood replacement and herbs that seems to have beaten the infection to a standstill, if I can only stay in enough of both to keep injecting it into my patients until I discover a more permanent solution.

The price though has only been snatches of rest and non of it complete. However I am used to such things. Residents routinely stay awake for three days at a time, and I was noted for my stamina even then.

It does not please me to hear that Shy is learning on Sounder’s bike, though perhaps she is more talented at it than I am. I am glad, however, that Tin Girl was able to repair it without too much difficulty.

I probably will not say anything about it to Shy, independent as she is determined to be. She spent all the day yesterday annoyed with me over the night of the party. Things seemed more peaceful this morning but I do not particularly wish to destablize the situation.

It is not a final check up, but Sounder is so physically recovered and restless that it is simply growing nigh impossible to keep her here. She is healing exceptionally quickly, the broken arm will need another month, probably, to functionally heal, and perhaps three to six months after to completely heal, but it is immobilized in a cast for now. I had to actually do surgery and knit the bones in her forearm together directly. She still tires more easily than she would if completely recovered.

But it is not the physical that concerns me. I have seen no manifestation of the forest entity, but I sense that it is not gone from her and that concerns me greatly.

I am examining the arm now, having her grip my hand and gently palpating the muscles in her arm. I examine the surgical wounds which have healed very well, and there is not much swelling. I put the bracing sleeve on her arm again and lock it in place.

“Exercise the hand and wrist every day as I showed you to keep the stiffness out, and no riding for another month at least.” I look between Sounder and Dog, face serious. “And I believe, if she’s willing, that Vignette should still look at her.”

Dear Bon, you are inspired by the thought of me. Take +1 right now. Yours, August.
  • photo 407c34df-d900-4bfc-986f-93006c35f4e9_zpsydjzcb0d.jpg

Edited my post to account for inspiration.

Bon and Dog,

Sounder
    Sounder huffs through her nose when you assure her that she still has her ride. Then you come in with the diagnosis. "What the flood?!?" She throws her good hand up in the air, makes a fist, "A month? What am I supposed to do? Wash their soaking clothes? Look moon eyed at the Arrows riding past like Shy Shy?" Her voice becomes strained at the end. She huffs another breath, "Can I ride second at least, with a smooth Arrow driving?"

Shy totally heard what Sounder said, but she's keeping her mind on cleaning. Mox shoots Sounder an angry look, protective of his sister, but Sounder doesn't notice it.
  • edited October 2015
    photo Dog3recolor.png

"Hey, maybe I'm'a work your legs instead, girl." I grin toothy, with a little warning behind it. "I'm cool with you riding second if Bon thinks it's safe. Don't want your arm to finish healing up weak or in a twist, you know."

Now, I heard what Bon suggested about Vignette and I..I do agree. And Vignette still owes me a favor. We'll work out some time.

"We're pretty thick with scrap right now, maybe you can help Tin Girl out?" I rub my chin a bit and try to think of things that might occupy Sounder while she's under orders not to ride.
  • edited October 2015

I nod seemingly absently while I prod at the hand in the compression sleeve.

“Second is fine, provided you do not stress the arm. The same with scrapping.” Without seeming to, I quite deliberately hit a nerve cluster in the hand that ought to spike the pain a notch for a half-second. “As for the rest” I say, voice easy, if distracted, continuing my examination without reacting at all to her flinch. “I should think you are supposed to heal this arm as well as it can be healed so it is ready and strong enough to help pull your sisters out of the deep red when they need it.” I pause to feel carefully around the base of the sleeve and then resume. “Whatever act of patience and discipline it may take to achieve that objective…” I look up at Sounder, expression mild. “Surely it is worth it?”

Bon,

She doesn't flinch at the touch. That means nerve damage, maybe something else.

Both,
    Sounder
    Sounder narrows her eyes, "Bonnie, you are soaked on a bike, but a spitfire in this clinic! I'll ride second and heal up, move scrap with Tin Girl, whatever. I just can't stick around with all these skinny sick folks. Dog, emanci-scrogging-pate me!"
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Hah! Sounder, you get back to the hideout, say hi to people, and do just that. Then I'll protect you from Bon's fire, yeah?" I wink. I look forward to having Sounder back, even if it's belly-achey Sounder.

I can't help but snoop around, make sure Bon's got enough food stocked up, that kind of thing. I've been in here before, taken hurt, but it always looks a little bit new to me when I visit. That reminds me! I blink and dip a hand in one of my big pants pockets.

"Oh, Bon, I found you a thing the other day but I sorta lost track on giving it to you. It's supposed to tell how warm something is on the inside?" I think I'm remembering it right. I hand it over, one metal stick with a block on the end that makes little black numbers on one side. If I'm wrong Bon will figure it out.

My mouth twitches up when Sounder accepts my scolding more or less gracefully and I pat her shoulder with affection. The lack of nerve response worries me though. I nod in acquiescence when Dog says she can go.

When she leaves I say to Dog, “Sounder must be watched carefully. I do not trust the intelligence that invaded her in the forest. I suspect it lies fallow.”

I turn from watching Sounder leave when Dog offers me the little object. I take it from her carefully, glancing up at her and smiling before examining it closely, scanning the tiny print.

“Yes! A thermo-meter… a heat-measure, though of a curious design. When I was a child we had a few relics with a numberplace like this one, though the casings were different.”

I touch the button on the end and my eyes widen as the numbers spring to life.

“It works!” I grin, excited. A working tool is always a good find.

“This will be most helpful!” I look back at her a moment, then give in to the urge to throw my arms around her wiry shoulders and hug her. “’Tis a most thoughtful gift,” I say, and I kiss her cheek. “Thank you.”

I draw back, Suddenly awkward and bashful of the spontaneous affection, and the touch-craving that seems to have been induced in me by that night and my subsequent restlessness. Shy started giving me odd looks after the third or forth time I compulsively touched her arm or rubbed her back affectionately. Mox seems less concerned.

I cover my sudden awkwardness by again looking carefully at the the little treasure in my hands. “I shall certainly find its best use. Come let me put it someplace safe.”

I turn and move back towards my quarters, my walking only slightly stiff.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

"Yeah..I told Rainey to keep an eye on her. Between you, me and her we should be okay." Fingers crossed.

"A thermo-meter." I watch Bon fiddle with the warmfinder thing, leaning in a little out of curiosity and then grin back at her when it works. She'll prob'ly use it to hunt fevers and stuff.

When Bon hugs me, I squeeze her back, and I'm surprised. I like hugs and pats and stuff, but Bon's always been so..I guess I'd call it 'unready to be touched', I'd always feel like I was botherin' her. She kisses my cheek and I grin again, not totally sure where it's coming from, but I love and trust Bon, so it's okay. "You're welcome."

Maybe Bon feels how different it is, too, when she pulls back. "I knew you'd know what to do with it." I pad after her to her quarters.

“Did you, indeed? Well, we shall see.” I smile again.

I enter the small, neat little space. Neater than usual, in fact, since Shy has been spending more time with the Arrows and in the pile hen she isn’t working. I frown at the plate with the half-eaten portion at the table, next to some thin plastic where I was scribbling notes in grease pencil. It is hours old, now. I must have been called out and forgotten it.

I move past to the tiny table at the base of Shy’s bed, open a drawer and place the thermo-meter gently inside, arranging it amidst some other odd trinkets.

“How did Grunge fare on her ride?” I ask, finally standing again. I turn back to Dog, catching the sight of her jacket on the delapidated couch, Mox’s bed when he isn’t snuggling up to me, where I had been using it as a blanket during a brief nap early this morning.

“Oh, yes…” I say picking it up, turning and holding it out to her, some small regret at letting go of it. “You have been missing this, no doubt. I should have returned it before. Would you like to sit? Perhaps have some water? Alas, I regret that I am all out of Pike Shine.” I wrinkle my nose ruefully.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I follow Bon's eyes to the meal she didn't eat, frown a little myself. I could just about eat it right now, too. But nah. Concern's gnawing at me instead. There's some new things coming from Bon lately, but she's still Bon.

I prop my butt a little on the table, cross a leg over the other and think. "Grunge did pretty good on her ride. I think she might even remember some of it, too; she's still not straightened all the way out from all the partying she did. But she didn't puke or lie or cry, so that's good."

Hey, Bon kept my jacket this whole time. "You musta been usin' it, it's all dry between us." I smile.

I take it back and slide it on in one sharp motion. I like this jacket, it's warm and it makes me look bigger. Not that I'm small but people take my leanness for weakness sometimes, so a little puff is a good thing. I pull one collar up and sniff it, like I'm curious if it's still the same jacket after being on someone new.

"Just water." I have a seat on the couch. "Pike Shine is bad stuff." Just because I'm good at drinking it doesn't mean I like it.

When Bon's got water for me and maybe for her, too, I pat the space beside me. "I wanted to talk some about how you're doin'."
  • edited October 2015

Grunge did not vomit, lie or cry? Well I only did two of the three. At least I was not the initiate.

“Verily ’tis” I say, as I return, agreeing with her about the experience of Pike Shine.

I hand Dog her cup, a rather plain ceramic mug with an odd handle that has seen better days, then blink when she pats the spot beside her. I sit slowly, clutching my own rather ordinary mug, suddenly apprehensive about what she wishes to discuss.

“I have recovered, I assure you, though I probably will never willingly drink alcohol again,” I smile, sheepish. “But I am well enough. What I said… I am afraid the combination of drink and the battle left me more… emotional and… and careless of my tongue than I expected.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I sip at my water, wrapping my hand around the mug and not the handle, smiling a little and chuckling about Bon swearing on sober life again.

"It's good to be careless sometimes, and let us know how you feel. Otherwise we don't know. Like how badly you still hurt about Nee." I lean in and down a little, look up at Bon's eyes. "I think about Nee a lot. You know, I think she knew things about you that you didn't. You didn't just help her escape, she helped you escape. Like, maybe she went so you'd go, and if it was just her she mighta sucked it up."

I lean back again, making the stuff inside the couch squeak. I dunno how right I am on that, but Bon's like...I don't think she'd'a been good to stay with the Medecai.

"..that fight that got you all mad at us. It was soaked, and my soaking fault. I'm glad you came back."

Boy, there's just a jumble of stuff to talk about. I drink in some more water and try to line it up.
  • edited October 2015

I put a hand on her arm and squeeze. “As am I.” I let go. “And Truly ’twas fear more than anger,” I say, softly. “though that sibling pair seem often together, do they not? Until the day of that fight I thought I had mastered both contagions as regarded my sister. Instead, their strength was enhanced by their long captivity.”

I glance down at the mug in my hands.

“For all my success among the Medicai, my great failing was that I could never rid myself of the contamination of my passions. I fiercely endeavored to do so, certainly. I did learn to how to suppress them so far as to be undetectable to my teachers for a time, but… in the end, to my shame, they always came out, so I suppose I should have expected this to happen as it did.”

I look up, with a sorrowful smile. “Nee was worse, of course. Much, much worse. She suppressed nothing at all. The very thought is laughable.” I sigh. “But for her it was considered something of a divine madness. The Attending was certain her passions were connected with her healing gift.”

I glance across the room. My eye falling on the portrait of Nee that Shy keeps on the wall.

“She would have escaped on her own, without me. She was adamant about leaving. But she did beg me so, and I had to choose. I loved the Medicai. I liked the order of that life. But this was my sister, and she was desperate.”

I pause, thinking of whether I wish to tell this part. But Nee is long since gone now. I owe her truth. I meet Dog’s eyes.

“The Attending had taken her as a consort, you see. He too had the healing gift and he wished to breed powerful healers with the that ability. At first she was pleased and honored, and I was yet again envious of the way fortune favoured her. But after a time…” I shake my head. “Well… Nee was not one to be confined. She said that she had grown afraid of him, that his was but a sham affection, and that he inteded to keep her continually with child, so obsessed was he with his vision. She… she didn’t want Shy to be born within his power.”

I look down again… ashamed. “I thought she was overreacting. How could she dare to spit in the face of everything that had been handed to her. In fact I only went with her at first because I believed I could talk her into going back.”

I am quiet a moment. Suddenly conscious of the fact that I have monopolized the conversation.

“My carelessness does not stop it seems. Nor am I sure it ever will again.” I shift in my seat, finally taking a sip of water. “Mayhap you are right about her. I did not understand my sister well, so different were we… though I loved her with all my heart.”

I look at Dog again. My heart seems to be thumping with surplus force. “It is same way I feel about you, you know…” I murmur. “and all the Arrows too, of course. And now that I know that, allow myself to feel it… well it terrifies me.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Patiently, I let Bon say her peace. She needs to open up about this, for someone to hear. After she lets go of my arm and settles into talking, I gently shift her hair out of the way, over her opposite shoulder, and keep a hand on her back.

Well, so I was wrong. But, my opinion of Nee and Bon is the same. They did what they needed to do. What a flood that woulda been for Shy.

Fiercely hiding her emotions. I wonder if Bon knows how funny that sounds. I feel a warmth for her, that she's the way she is, that she trusts me with this.

Bon says she loves me. I'm amazed, 'cause we're so different, and she's always really kept it inside. Usually I'd only know how Bon felt for sure if she was telling me I did something wrong. But me, I always splash it out. I want people to know.

Sometimes I'd think Bon didn't like me much, but she never really turned me away.

"I love you, too, Bon. What's makin' you so scared? It won't make you crazy or sick, just like it doesn't make me stupid or weak." I turn to face her more squarely, stroke her hair again.

I did not wish to become overly emotional, of course, but her contact through the story, then the stroke of my hair seems to pull it from me.

I shake my head, trying not to tear. I am thinking of that night sitting next to my sister’s body, covered in her blood, holding her newborn son in my arms. “Nee’s death… “ I say. “It… destroyed me. If I had not had her children to care for…” I stop a moment, lips pressed tight and shake my head again. I swallow. After a moment I continue. “Even with them… it took a long time. Years. My thoughts were so dark. I… I had a blood vial. pure red water so concentrated it would kill in minutes. I carried it with me. Every day… every single morning… I held it in my hand and had to choose.”

I meet her eyes again. “That is why I did not wish to care so much for anyone again…” I whisper. “What happens when I have to add your name to my skin. How can I possibly survive the day I cannot save you?”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I just put my hands on Bon's hands as she talks about the blood vial, keep my eyes steady. What a wicked nasty thing to have. I've thought about dying a lot but not killing myself. Seemed like something I'd never have to do, always a soaking volunteer and all that. And even when I hated my life, I was never gonna just let someone take it from me. I never knew how close Bon was to letting hers go.

"Well.." I answer soft, "I'm not an easy woman to kill. Not a quitter. 'Specially now. If that happens anyway, what I'd like is you find another reason to live, and you take me with you." I tap at the bone over Bon's heart.

I take a breath and a drink of water.

"Before we met, I thought I'd die on the sand, some lucky advocate's knife in me. I just went day by day, no reason in me. I didn't know it was possible to have one. I had a lot of close calls. So every day I live past that, I feel good about it, like I didn't have it coming but I got it anyway. I even get to be with you and our Arrows."

I lean forward and touch my forehead to hers. "So don't blame yourself for something that hasn't happened yet. You're doing your best and I don't blame you for nothin'."
  • edited October 2015

When she taps my heart, all I can do is nod. If the worst does happen, I will need those words to cling to. Suicide is the coward’s way, I know. My promise to Nee kept me from it. My duty, too, as well as affection for my niece and nephew. And, eventually, the Arrows, August, and Dog. But telling someone about the depth of my despair at that time seems to drain the memory of some power.

Then she talks about her time before the Arrows. She was so young to survive what she did. But then I suppose Nee and I were too. Her perspective of every day being a gift… What a wonderful way of seeing it. I don’t know if I can rearrange myself in such a way, but oh, if I could.

She touches her forhead to mine and again I nod. I set the cup down, My hand coming up to cup her cheek a moment, the thumb running just under where the scar is, before I move it to her shoulder.

“Things will be different now, I promise.” I reply, quiet. “I will no longer miss the opportunity of love and family for fear of any pain the future may bring. It scares me still, I cannot deny that. But it will not rule me any longer.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

My face follows Bon's hand a little, then I put a hand over hers on my shoulder. "Alright, good." With our foreheads still touching, I tweak her nose softly with mine, smile. "It's not easy, is it? I'm glad for you, though. Proud."

I pull back to get a good look at her face. "Does this mean I'm gonna see you in the pile tonight? It's been two nights since, and I know three days is about your limit for not really sleeping."
  • edited October 2015

Proud? It is pleasing. My face warms and my heart thumps into the light feeling in my chest at her words. My eyes shift down. When was the last time anyone said they were proud of me?

She pulls away and immediately I miss the touch, but I sit up again too. Then comes her inquiry.

My hesitation before answering seems a moment too long to my ear. I turn my head and take up my cup again. “Yes, of course, you are right.” I say, nodding, then looking and giving her a small smile. “I have slept some.” Well… I have tried. “But you know my wont, there is always so much to do here, it is hard to stop, but I believe Decatur can watch the clinic tonight.”

In fact he expected to watch it last night, but I shooed him off to rest.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

"Okay, good. I know you can always find a reason to stay here and do your work, but Soundy's not the only Arrow who needs to let herself heal." I try to reflect some of Bon's earlier mildness.

I drain my mug and reach out to put it on the table. "Have you had time to change the dressing on your legs and get a proper bath?"

Bon and Dog,

As if the suggestion of rest summoned her, Kitsap comes running into the clinic, nearly out of breath.

Kitsap_header
    "Hey! We need some help in the garage!" Kitsap says as Decatur comes up to her, protecting the patients from this wiry little wild-haired girl. "Pine's hurt! Her soaking engine fell on her! Eph sent me to get some help!"

What do you do?

I look at Dog with a raised eyebrow and a slight shrug. I quickly put down my cup and move to the door, touching Dog’s shoulder as I pass, grabbing the satchel containing my kit from its place near the door of my quarters and pulling it over my shoulder. The good thing about sleeplesness is I was able to get through a lot of prep work, so it is close at hand. I sling a collapsable stretcher across my back, and move out into the clinic to Kitsap.

I nod to Decatur. “Please monitor the patients while I’m away.” I turn to Kitsap “All will be well, Kitsap, take me to her.”

• edited October 2015

Bon and Dog,

Shy
    "Yeah, I've got it!" Shy answers over Decatur's shoulder, a bit of irritation in her voice that you addressed Decatur.

Kitsap_header
    "Sure, Bon." Kitsap agrees. She moves at a light jog down the corridor, heading for the backways in the underground of the stadium, the quickest way to the garage.

Also, the most dangerous.

What do you do?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

Running feet make me alert; I stand up, ready for some trouble. Then it turns out to be Kitsap. I could toss her over my shoulder and run across SafeCo, so not a worry. Just another emergency here at the clinic. "Pine? Flood."

Bon takes it all in, automatic-like. Grabbing her kit and patching people is natural for her like grabbing a body and wrecking it up is for me. I stay out of her way. "Bon, you need me?" I'm following after her already.

This is duel day, so Pine bein' hurt...I got bad feelings about this.

I start at Shy’s voice. I thought she had already gone on to see the duel as she always wishes to, as it is more time with the Arrows, but I have no time to soothe ruffled feathers now and follow after Kitsap.

“I am glad to have you with me, if you will come.” I say over my shoulder to Dog as I break into a jog myself, following the slight figure ahead of me.

• edited October 2015
    photo Dog3recolor.png

"Yeah!" I keep pace with Bon, not wanting to let Kitsap get too far ahead, but not letting Bon fall behind is more important for certain.

I look to and fro under the backways, wary of places where bodies can press in and hide. I slide on my red lenses for dusty riding.
  • backways
    The backways run underneath the stadium seating. There are ancient, rusted seats down here, too, as if long ago there was a stadium, then people came along and built a bigger one on top of the old. Here, in the muck and the shadows, with the booming sounds of the people above stomping feet and beating rails, it's almost deafening. Concrete dust sprinkles down, the motes would blind anyone unwary.

Kitsap scampers quickly, moving up the steps with practiced grace. She keeps ahead, keeps moving just far enough to make you move faster.

Kitsap_header
    "Hurry! Hurry! Pine's supposed to drive in an hour!" Kitsap urges, her thin voice echoing, barely audible.

The backways open after the climb to a muddy open space lit by a trio of barrel-fires. Here are the unknowns, the cast-offs of Safeco, too ugly or too poor to earn a safecoin. They huddle over their barrels for light. Hungry eyes watch you as you pass.

Dog, when were you last down here? What happened?

Bon, how often do you offer care for these people?

What do you do?

I go among them usually once a week, though rarely this deep. I help where I can. It usually is not much. The real problems are ones I cannot solve and those are poverty and malnurition which makes an already hostile environment even worse.

I dream of being able to heal them all, to found a clinic even more grand than the Medicai Sanctum, what in the time before was called a hospital, but it would require dedicated support by the haves in this world, and I have not been successful in making that case. There is so much red-sickness too, people who cannot afford clean water drinking it with only the basest purification using methods almost as poisonous as the water itself.

I am beginning to breath heavily keeping up with Dog and Kitsap. I am in very good shape, sturdy and strong, but I am carrying significant weight and my legs are complaining about the punishment.

I glance warily the hungry faces, though I do not slow down, both pity and a littl fear rising in my heart. They know who I am just as almost anyone within visiting distance of Safeco knows. They do not need to know my face, only the mark.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Last time I was down here was a few months ago. Tin-Girl'd heard a rumor there were speak-makers down here and maybe we could wire the hideout for sound for a party. There wasn't a single flooding thing worth taking down here. There are better barrels to start fires in up top anyway.

The dust and the castaways remind me of the Tracks in Binge Hole. No cover for them folk, just the bit of water-carrying work people with all the glitter cared to give them. Hiding under the dirt-movers when the rains came, scrambling for high ground when the pumps were goin' half mast.

Don't stop me from keepin' them as lined up in my head as I can, warnin' off the ones that feel too close, too hungry, too open-eyed. They don't got permission.

Wordlessly I offer to take some of the weight off of Bon's back, holding out an arm. Best if we're both half-loaded.

An hour?! Bloody hell. I send Bon a look, I seriously wonder if that's how it's going to go down.

Bon and Dog,

Among the huddled masses, you recognize one of them. The dirty face of that man from the boat who fetched you, Bon. Watauga. His name was Watauga. He looks frail, broken... hopeless.

Kitsap_header
    "C'mon!" Kitsap urges when you slow down just to share the load. "We gotta hurry!"

My heart lurches a little in guilt when I see Wautauga. He was an unfortunate in all that business. August… I should tell August that he’s here. Come back and tell him that some of his people are alive and over at Pike.

I hand over the stretcher to Dog. I catch her look. I shake my head slightly, lips compressed. It will be a miracle if Pike will be able to drive. I can only do so much and I’m more worried about keeping her alive.

We pick up as much speed as I can. I am not gifted with Dog’s longer legs, certainly.

Bon and Dog,

You head past the cavern of the huddled masses and through a narrow corridor of old cabinets and other trash that is slowly becoming a rusty ooze, then finally reach the cacophony that is the Garage. There are a dozen vehicles here, most of them nearly ready to roll out.

Bon, you spot Ephram first, and the small crowd of folks standing nearby, mostly gawkers. They're all near Grimace, and you see its hood up, possibly someone lying near the vehicle, probably Pine.

What do you do?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I keep chasing after Kitsap as she yips at me. I kept my mouth shut after spotting Watauga. Didn't want a distraction for me or Bon.

Garage feels bigger than last time I was in. Maybe it's this crowd.

I head right up and make space for Bon, shooing people if I have to. I look for an engine lift or similar, and I look over the crowd, too. Check for big shoulders and guilty faces.

Pine's a little much for me sometimes, but I like her, and it's gonna be hard to see her in whatever state she's in. Oh, don't tell me nobody's lifted the weight offa her with all these people around.

Bon and Dog,

Yeah, Grimace's engine is laying on its side near them, oozing oil, dented from being dropped onto the concrete. When you come closer to the crowd, Ephram spots you, comes walking forward.

Ephram
    "Bon! Soak me, Pine's slagged!" He's got this worry in his eyes, frantic. "She was underneath Grimace when the engine just dropped on her! Took four of us to reach in and pull it."

As you push through to see her, Pine is bleeding bad, Bon. Her right arm's crushed, looks like she slid out of the way a bit, got some heavy cuts on her chin and cheek, part of her ear is missing. She's unconscious.

What do you do?

I nod to Ephram, going down next to Pine and opening my kit. The heavy machine has not crushed her torso, so she still breathes and there shouldn’t be any organ damage. If I had time for dismay it would be about that arm. She’s already been bleeding several minutes and I have to keep her from bleeding to death, but if too many blood vessels are broken, likely in a crushed limb, the only way to do that is with a torniquette which is almost a garuntee that I will have to amputate the arm when the soft tissue dies from lack of blood flow. Even if I am extraordinarily fortunate and I can save it, the arm will not be what it was.

I take heavy scissors and cut her clothing away from her arm and chest and do as quick an evaluation of the injuries as I can manage. Bleeding and breath to start with.

“Someone put something under her feet, raise them by a hand at least. Dog” I hold out an injector. “Put this into her neck just under the ear, just press the tip, then hold her down and keep her from moving.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

"Flood's sake.." That arm looks bad. "Of course Grimace has an engine that soaking big." I murmur. This is a lot of blood, it's gonna be a close thing for Pine.

Bon gives me something to do since I'm staying close with her, so I nod and take the injector, get a knee on her good shoulder and a hand on the bad one. I stick the needle into the spot just under her ear, where the neck vein starts (or finishes, I guess?) and press the tip of the injector in, nice and steady. It makes a punch-click noise, then I take it back out.

I hand the injector back while I change up to get Pine's hips pinned, giving it my focus because Pine could hurt herself or Bon if she thrashes.

Bon and Dog,

Ephram has a scrawny man in overalls grab a hubcab to raise Pine's legs while Dog injects her and you take a good look. She's touch and go from blood loss, her shoulder's been crushed, no way she'll regain use of the arm without a miracle and some serious medical attention.

Once Ephram sees you're working on Pine, he gets the mechanics to give you space, starts barking some orders for work that needs to be done.

Bon, Pine's at 10 o'clock right now. She's fading fast.

What do you do?

There is no time. I hand Dog a second injector.

“The same.”

I tourniquet the arm with a length of surgical tubing over the bicep which staunches the flow. Then it’s all about getting coagulant and blood replacer into her as fast as I can, to keep everything oxygenated and keeping her heart from stopping.

Spending 2 stock

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 8)

I learn something about my craft, +1xp

A bloody, tiring time later some of Pine’s color has come back and she’s breathing reasonably normally. She did thrash some when some of the compounds hit her system. She is in a chillstabbed haze now. I’m sitting, blood covering my arms to my elbows, my red fingers still carefully bracing the bones in her shoulder.

The arm’s color is not good at all, of course. I’ll have to cut it off. It will be hard to drive with only one arm. I stare down at her, unhappy with the futiity of trying to save the appendage… thinking of Nee knitting together such a thing with her touch.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I repeat the action with the fresh injector, not hesitating, keeping her neck in one place. Bon's shortness means there's not much time. I can feel it, almost. Her loud, happy life threatening to drift away into the hush of death.

But it doesn't. She stops jerking under my weight and I ease up a bit, reach over to put the second spent injector next to Bon's kit. "What now?"

“We need to take her to the clinic. I shall likely have to remove the arm.” I say solemnly, looking up at Dog then at the surrounding fixits.

• Ephram
    "Take her arm?!?" Ephram exclaims. "Soak me! She's got the headliner! Grimace's engine is wrecked, it'll take me a week to get it running now. The flood am I s'posed to do?"
  • edited October 2015
    photo Dog3recolor.png

"You gotta get a second player in there. Who's she up against?" I ask Ephram while I'm getting the foldy stretcher unfolded. Pine's legs and hips get moved onto it first. Then I wait for Bon's help and go-ahead to get the rest of her settled on the stretcher.

"Someone should get a runner up to Valentine, let zir know what's going on..what's the word...discreetly."

Ephram seems like the biggest wheel in the garage, but his mind is on the cars and that panic of his.

I finish binding the ruined arm to her side, then help Dog gently get her onto the stretcher. I unfold a thin blanket to insulate her, tucking it under her body.

I stand again watching the exchange with Ephram. I nod in agreement about sending someone to Valentine.

“Can you spare a couple of men to help carry her back to the clinic?”

Two would be fine but four is faster.

• Ephram
    Ephram grabs a kid by the collar and barks orders to him, "Alley, go tell Valley that Pine's scrapped. I'm looking for a back-up now." Alley, a scrawny boy about WotCee's age with a severely burned left hand takes off running. Ephram gets a couple men to help with carrying Pine, then answers, "We've got a match against Balance from the Tax Patrol."

Dog, what's Zeus told you about the driver Balance?

Bon, what happened when you first met Balance?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Oh yeah? Huh." Don't like Tax Patrol. Zeus told me once about Balance, she was friends with their daddy, back before Tax Patrol was a big splash. They're from pretty far north, and seen a whole lot of this ruined world. When people run from a tax and Balance is riding point, anyone gets caught, they get toyed with pretty bad. Balance likes to test what people think their lives are worth.

I call out after the kid Ephram picks to do the run. "Hey, Alley! Tell Valentine I'm up for it if ze thinks it'll play!"
  • edited October 2015

“What?” I look at Dog in dismay, a chill moving through me. I swipe at something on my face, forgetting that my hands are still bloody.

The motor duels can be vicious and deadly, especially against Balance. I have had few run-ins with Tax Patrol personally but I had heard their reputation from many in the city. When Tax Patrol and the Arrows do meet, they usually exchange bullets rather than words. But Balance… they are said to be pitiless and cruel. I personally met Balance for the first time in the Arena, not six months ago, when I tried and failed to resuscitate Gong, then the Admiral’s favorite driver. Balance had already clearly won the match, Gong’s car crushed and him injured from their duel. I stood at the sideline that night, the Admiral having engaged me specifically to tend this driver.

I had stood up, ready to see to Gong when he came off the field. Balance looked at me from the seat of their death machine, then deliberately revved his engine then hit Gong again, just as he was trying to exit the car. I ran the vehicle and dragged Gong clear but there was little I could do for him then. Too many things crushed and ruptured. I simply injected him with a painkiller then held him while he died. I looked up from where I knelt in the mud to see Balance watching, their head slightly tilted, eyes clear and without any emotion, as if looking at an interesting insect.

After a moment he revved the engine as if he was going to run the both of us over. I remember raising my chin in a dare, refusing to run, but terrified that I was about to be murdered. The engine growl lessened, Balance looked away as if I was no longer interesting, and the vehicle backed away.

Bon and Dog,

Alley's eyes widen with excitement and he gives a quick nod, then continues running.

This is Balance:
    Balance

With help, you're able to carry Pine of Grimace through the backways much quicker. The fixits Ephram chose are pretty strong, both grease and grime-covered, but quiet. One of them, with slightly more teeth than eyes, keeps looking at you, Dog, like he knows you or something. He's a mountain of a man.

You slip down the stairs, which is a bit more careful this time around. Kitsap runs ahead to notify Shy, Mox, and Decatur and eventually you make it to the clinic.

What do you do?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon's look cuts into me. Maybe I shouldn't have offered - we just talked about her fears for me. I know Balance is bad news, but if they cancel the duel that will be some real chaos. Same if we throw in a sub and they suck. People will throw on real mad, and folks will get hurt. Give 'em a good show, though, and SafeCo will rake it in. I can give Pine and her daughter some kind of support.

I raise a brow at the big fella lending us a hand here. "You want to say something, fella?" I look him over, trying to pick out whether I remember him from someplace, get a feel for his reactions to me and my wonderful face. Most people ain't got the discipline it takes to hide how they feel about my look, which is just about my favorite thing about it. (My favorite thing is my hair.)

Bon and Dog,

This is the mountain man, the big, greasy fixit:
    Mtn_Man
    "You're Dog, right?" His voice is surprisingly soft. "I haven't seen you in a real long time."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Mm? Yeah, that's me." I straighten up and tug at my jacket. Same old Dog. "Can't really place you if we've seen each other before..what's your name, then?"

This is puttin' some nerves in me. If people remember me like this it's usually for a bad reason.

Bon,

Shy's outside the infirmary, waiting to help you. She sees Pine's arm and frowns slightly, then helps you get her to your makeshift OR. Mox has prepped utensils and stands ready to help you cleanse before operating. Decatur's near, still unsure of how to help here.

Dog,

Seneca
    "Name's Seneca." he says after you've handed Pine off. The other fixit watches the operation, but the mountain of a man seems more interested in you. "Nana and I were, ah, friends for a while. I was there when you came to the Arrows. Wasn't part of 'em, of course."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Oh! Uh, sorry to tell you Nana's passed. If you didn't know already." That sort of news does travel. "Good to meet you, Seneca. Any friend of Nana's is a friend of mine." I offer Seneca a hand to shake.

"Sorry I don't remember you, that time's kind of a fuzzy mess for me." Lotta fevers and night sweats and days full of ache and narrow vision.

I help them transfer Pine to the table I use for operations, still bothered. I understand why Dog volunteered, I had not even considered anything beyond Pine herself, but I feel the coil of old fear in my belly.

I send Decatur to fetch a paralytic and to mix blood replacer from the dry packs. Then I scrub the existing blood off my hands. Before the final cleansing, however, I go to where Dog is talking to the old fixit.

“Pardon us, sir, if I might borrow her but a moment.” I say taking Dog’s hand in mine, now clammy from the water and pulling her away a few steps.

I turn to face her again, not letting go of her hand.

“The world seems determined to test my resolve today, does it not?” I say quietly, meeting her eyes, beseeching. “I understand your thought, and it is right, though I would that you did not have to do it. Pray you, be careful with Balance for there is no heart there, no soul. And for the sake of my poor heart, please… come back.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon collects me and I nod a small apology to Seneca. Her hand feels a little cold in mine, so I get her other one and press both of her hands between my bigger, warmer hands.

I nod to Bon, keeping my gaze on hers. "I'll come back. I've fought folks with no soul before, it's no strength of theirs." I lean in and check her eyes again before tilting my head and kissin' Bon gently, warily. Don't want to be too fast. "I'll come back, if I'm sent. It'll be ok."

I keep Bon's hands till she's done with mine.

Something inside me leaps when she leans in. I keep her gaze, uncertain and… hopeful. The kiss is so gentle, cautious and almost unbearably sweet, my hands warm between hers. I meet it, slightly tentitive, but willing.

The moment cannot last of course. Looking at her afterward I try to find some words, but they are too hoplessly small to contain all that is in me. My patient is waiting, and the others in the room are either watching or pretending not to.

Finally, I nod. “I shall hold you to that and I shall see you after.” I lift one of her rough hands, kiss it and press my cheek against it for a moment. Then, reluctantly, I let go and turn back to my work.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon's eyes tell me I've read her right and her mouth agrees. My heart is warm and I'm happy. I can tell her, this way, that I mean it like a promise.

From the look in her eyes after, I feel like I was right in guessing she needed a promise.

"Alright." I nod back and smile. Admiral's on my plate to visit, too, but maybe I can do that before the big show. Might be best all around.

My hand feels like it misses Bon on its own, cool and warm in the wrong places. I hold it safe while I turn back to Seneca.
  • edited November 2015

I finish cleansing and turn to my patient, my mind now filled with the problem of how to save Pine's arm.

Bon,

You want to save Pine's arm? Sure, no problem, but...

First you’ll have to get some more meatmesh and bonepins. They've got a bunch back at that place you left behind...
    Of course, you’re going to need the Medecai to help you with the procedure, too.

Otherwise, the best you’ll be able to do is a replacement, a crap version, weak and unreliable.

Dog,

Seneca
    Seneca waited patiently for you to handle what needed to be handled. When you look back at him, he clears his throat a little, "I, ah, knew that Nana passed. How are the rest of the Arrows? Zeus still around? Rainey?"
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I nod and look aside. Nana's loss still hurts. But I brighten up to talk about Zeus and Rainey. "Zeus is still around and ornery as ever! Rainey's good, she's gonna have a baby soon. Cujo and Ace are still with us. And you can see Bon's doin' good, she has this whole infirmary now, and Shy's all grown up and Mox is on his way.."

"You livin' at SafeCo full time? Or just here for the duels?"

Dog,

Seneca
    Seneca smiles at your excited chatter about the Arrows. "I'm glad you're doing well, Dog. I'm here for work. Things dried up down south. I hooked up with a little group, had this guy named Father and his kid, a daughter who kinda reminded me of you. Anyways, we all came up this way. She talked about someone that sounded like you. You ever met a Mollymoon, Dog?"

I regard the now carefully split open ruin of bone and muscle sadly. The arm is shattered in several places. The Medicai could help me piece it together, even perhaps reenervate the arm. The only question would be the price of that help. Such extensive reconstruction would be incredibly expensive. And what bargin might they ask of me in return. I left there nearly 15 years ago. I have cut off many limbs too destroyed to work properly, or left them to heal into withered versions of their former selves. Is Pine so different?

What greeting would I get from my old home? And what of the number of names upon me now? Any Medicai with so many, would have been long since retired as an instrument perpetually unready. Of course none would have been so foolish as to let compassion compell them to claim responsibility for so many hopeless causes either. And what of Shy and Mox?

No, the risk is to great. The selfishness of it stabs at me viciously. Were it… no not even an Arrow. Were it Dog, or August, or one of the children, I would take the chance.

I think of the forest. The memory of the other place rising in me. The memory of feeling Sounder’s heart in my hands, compelling it to beat. Coaxing it into life. I am not Nee, and we are not in the forest. But, as much as it frightens me, it cannot hurt to try. I hope.

I set down the scalpel, reach out and gently fold the skin of the shattered arm back into place. Then after a moment, my hand slightly trembling, I set it her shoulder and take her wrist with the other, and I try to remember what it felt like to reach into Sounder that day in the forest.

Rolling healing touch

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 3, 2. Total: 6)

Rolling healing touch

+1 xp
    Dear Bon, once again, even with the taste of Dog on your lips, you are inspired by the thought of me. Take +1 right now. Always yours, August.
  • edited November 2015

The red floods through me enter as I feel the energy of it travel through me, through my body, down my arms, at once excruciating and pleasurable and I feel myself fall. I cannot help but think of August in this moment, at the pinnacle of our passion just days ago, how she looked, and the heady rush of the red wave.

Follow up. Opening my brain

The Roll was 2d6+1
    The die results were 6 and 3 for a total of 10)

+1 xp

Bon,

Please go here.
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I nod along and listen to Seneca. The south of here is pretty soaked now, it seems.

"Yeah, I have! So Father and his crew made it, huh? That's good. She's doing good?"

Dog,

Seneca
    Seneca starts to answer, "Yeah, good enough. I'm tryin' to earn enough for everyone, not enough to go around..."

He's interrupted when Shy screams. You both look over to see Bon's hands on Pine's arm, and the open flesh is slowly crawling back together, like watching cheese melt in a microwave. It's horrific and incredible.

Bon's eyes, Dog. They're gone. You've seen the look on August's face if you've ever been intimate with her.

What do you do?

• photo Dog3recolor.png

My brow knits a little - Seneca's stuck pulling a lot of weight. Gotta be somethin' else that crew-

Shy screams and I can't help it, my body jolts and gets ready to fight someone. Whoever makes Shy-girl scream out like that...but there's no enemy. No swift motions. Just...what's happening to Pine. And Bon. I step over cautiously, like something's gonna jump out at me, or out of me.

I do know the look in Bon's eyes. She's in the buried place, seeing whatever's hidden there. I don't dig for that place; stuff's hidden for a reason and I don't understand what I find there at all.

I hover near them both, not sure what to do, but fascinated by the healing taking place.

Dog,

Shy is right beside Bon, Mox is close, but watching Pine's arm with interest. Decatur is near, but keeping an eye on the kids as well as watching this miracle.

Bon,

Your eyes flutter and senses return. Your children are here by your side, Shy showing fear and concern quite unlike her normal self, Mox observing with interest and calculation. Dog's here, too. Behind them all, Decatur watches.

The world comes back… the lights are too bright, the sounds too loud, the smells too strong. And worse, the room seems to pitch and roll wildly. I lean on the table until all of it settles, looking down at my patient, at the arm. Then I reach out and touch it… what have I wrought?

The vision… I sniff, loudly… I realize that I am crying

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I gasp, startle and then get my hands on Bon's shoulders in case she should start to fall or slide. "Bon, are you hurt?" I remember sometimes...Nee would be hurt from doing this. Of course I remember that's a big part of how she passed on.

Wiping her cheeks, I look her over for any injury. Hard to tell, she's got so much of Pine's blood on her. Plus the replacer she makes, that's red too. "Shh, Bon, you're back from the buried place, right? You're here. You did it."

I've helped August to the buried place a few times. She..I think she has a need to know. To look. To listen to a story that comes from a place we don't understand.

Bon and Dog,

Shy moves up to hug you from behind, Bon. You feel her arms circle, holding tight, clinging. Dog, she's crying, too, but she's buried her head in Bon's back, sobbing.

Mox is watching still. Pine's breathing slow, she hasn't woken. Decatur snaps out of his wonder and tries to get back to work, giving you all privacy.

Dog speaks but the noise does not make sense at first. But I see the look and I shake my head. I am not physically hurt. It is when Dog touches me that I realize how cold I am. I burrow into her warmth on instinct, shaking. Shy’s warmth at my back helps too. I remember that Nee used to get like this. Her skin would be like ice. It could be a warm day and she would huddle under blankets after she used her gift. I cannot stop the tears yet. It is not merely the vision of Pine and my sister, or the burning names on my body. It is the sense, the surety that something vital was taken out of me. Does it come back? Is it like blood, forever renewing itself? Or did my sister wear away by giving pieces of herself to those she healed until she simply had nothing left? Will Shy have this too? Will Mox?

Being in Dog’s and Shy’s arms seems to help. The terrible cold retreating some. The immediacy of the loss lessening so that My tears slow. Soon I am able to pull back, give Dog a gentle, brief kiss, and a wan smile, then turn and take my little girl into my arms. I kiss her hair.

“Shhh, love.” I say shakily “It is alright. I am alright.” I look at Dog, over Shy’s head.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon's arms..she feels so cold! I hold her close, leaving room for Shy in the hug, patting the girl on the back (she can be a child again for a minute, I think.) I'm feelin' real relief right now. If I could just think about it and make myself warmer I would, too. I open up my jacket around Bon instead. I always forget what a sturdy body she's got, which is dumb because I see her working hard all the time. But right now that just feels good, like she's solid and here with me.

The concern I feel, it's probably still written all over my face, even after Bon kisses me. Poor Shy must be scared all the way through for her aunt.

While Bon comforts Shy, I give her a smile. She is alright. And now what she's done! I've still got to take it all in.
  • Shy
    "You've got to warm up, ok?" Shy says when her breath recovers. She's rubbing your back now, her eyes glistening. "You can't go. You have to stay." She pushes her face into your chest, Bon, still holding on.

Mox is watching, amazed and confused by his sister's actions, still comprehending what's going on.

I realize she’s not talking about leaving the clinic. How much this must have scared her. I glance over at Mox, smile at him too, reassuring, then meet Dog’s eyes again, but I’m stroking Shy’s hair in smooth even strokes with one hand, feeling it slide through my fingers. It is long, black and straight like both mine and her mother’s

“Oh, do not worry, dearest. I am here. I am not going anywhere.” I murmur gently.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

I step over to Mox and ruffle his hair, have a seat on something next to him so I'm not so high over him to talk. "Things are okay. What Bon just did, it's something your mother used to do. It's scary, because it's..it's hard to do. And so rare. But it's beautiful for the same reasons." I trust Mox to ask me if he's got questions. Mox is real..he's bottled up like Bon can be.
  • Mox
    "But..." Mox asks you quietly, Dog, "We've lost so many patients. Why now? Why Pine's arm?" His tone is respectful, not dismissive of the wonder his aunt just performed, but still curious.

Bon,

Shy calms a bit, the stroking of her hair, your assurances. Her breathing slows and she sniffs, then looks away, embarrassed by her loss of control. She hovers near, but tries to show that she's alright.

Decatur has things in hand with the patients who stirred during the outburst, but you see Mox talking softly with Dog.
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"I dunno, Mox. Sometimes stuff in our lives'll change without getting our say-so first. Sometimes we try to learn things that can't be taught, only accepted." I don't have much for me to go on, let alone share with Moxie, but I know he needs to see that the grown-ups in his life aren't lost.
  • edited November 2015

I put my hand on Shy’s back and rub it, gently. I am still chilled, but much better than before. I look over at Mox speaking to Dog. I know just what he’s thinking. Mox always wishes to know the why of things. An admirable trait that I share.

I approach them, guiding Shy with me if she does not choose to break away.

I look between the Dog and Mox. “I have never shown a hint of your mother’s gift before, but when I was trying to help Sounder in the forest…” I glance at Dog. “I somehow slipped into the other place and pushed her to live. Pine’s arm… I had no hope to restore it. I thought… well I do not know what I thought exactly, I simply had to try. I… did not truly expect it to work.”

• photo Dog3recolor.png

"That happened with Sounder? I didn't know. ..I wouldn'ta noticed, I was too hyped up from everything else.." Scared and angry, is what I was. Just thinking about getting us all out safe.

"Pine's sure gonna be happy you tried." I grin up at Bon.
  • edited November 2015

I return a small smile to Dog, then look at my still red hands, serious exhaustion starting to weigh on me.

"As will her daughter." I agree "And it would not be the same if Pine could not drive, I think. But it was... quite taxing. I do not know how often I can do it. Or even if I can do it again." I pause. " I confess, I do not like the other place at all. The healing... it took something from me." Some of my love? Some portion of my essence? "I can only hope that it comes back." Healing exhausted Nee and until this moment I do not think I truly understood the everyday price she paid when she used her gift. I envied her, thinking a little discomfort and tiredness a minor price to pay for such an ability. Now I wish we had talked more about this thing she could do. Did she ever feel understood?

I rub my arms remembering the burning of the names, even the one over my heart.
  • edited November 2015

Bon,
    She follows, still "keeping your warm". She hasn't been his clingy in many years, this has shaken her.

Both
    Mox
    "Is this hereditary? Does it only work on, ah, on girls?" Mox asks quietly, his eyes curious.

I continue to hold Shy, an arm around her shoulders, wishing she had not been in the room when I did that, to spare her distress. Her mother died after a healing, after all, even if Shy did not see it herself. I recall when I had to tell her that her mother was gone. At five years old she frowned and told me I was wrong and that she did not want the baby, she wanted her mother. She was so fierce, angry. It broke my heart even more.

I frown in thought at Mox’s question. “I do not know. There are some who think it is hereditary, but my parents did not posses it at all. Though I did know a man once who had the gift as well, so boys can have it too.”

Shy’s father. The Attending. I have never told her about him., That she is his child. I have been afraid she would seek him out.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon's got Mox covered, that's good. My brain's finally warmed back up, weighing things in the times ahead, it's gonna be different. Gonna be work. Speakin' of work.. "Flood me red, I've gotta get ready for this duel. I ain't told any Arrows yet, either!" I share some hugs around. "I'll be back soon."

I take a few steps, turn to the great big fixit. "Seneca, you should come by later so we can talk. See the gang, all that stuff."

Then I'm off down the halls, a hard run to my ride.

Dog,

Seneca promises to catch up with the Arrows later, especially Zeus, which he chuckles about.

Please go here.

Bon,

Mox
    "Shy could get it?" Mox asks, hopefully. Then, "Or me?"

Another firm hug for Dog when she goes, though my stomach has dropped In fear. I resist telling her to be careful yet again. She knows.

I’m exhausted, but I do not think I can sleep knowing that Dog is going into danger. No, I decide, I will sleep when I can curl up against her to do it.

“’Tis possible.” I answer Mox. “But it carries its own risks and costs. It is a tool like any other, and must be used with wisdom. It will never replace your understanding as your best tool.”

I hold up a finger. “And I would not have you attempt it until I say you may. Understood?”

• edited November 2015

Bon,

Shy
    "You don't want it, Mox." Shy says, followed by a sniff. "It killed mom!"

Mox
    Mox looks at you, Bon, his voice growing smaller, "It didn't kill mom.... I killed her. Right, Aunt Bon?"

My mouth falls open, I am horrified. I turn and hug him to me fiercely with my other arm.

“No! Do not ever say so!” I pause, try to even my tone. “Oh Mox, how long have you thought thus? No, my love, of course you did not kill your mother.” I look down at Shy “And nor was it her gift, dearest.” I hope. I ponder what to say a moment, thinking it through myself.

“You both know that healing is often a battle, like fighting raiders and those who would harm us. In a battle we sometimes must use dangerous tools, because they give us the best hope of success. The Arrows ride their h-bikes into the fight, do they not? And yet we do not blame the machine if they should fall. We do not blame their guns either, though those are dangerous indeed. Sometimes in a battle you do your best and yet you misjudge the use of your tools or perhaps the fight is more difficult than expected.”

I pause.

“Your mother loved all of us very much. I do not think she expected to die. She had healed many people for many years, after all. I think… I think the fight was just more difficult than she thought it would be that night… and she found that she had to choose whether to save the man’s life, risking her own, or to let her patient die.” I pause, voice growing thick. “Your mother was a courageous woman, she chose to save the life. She believed the result was worth her risk. That is who she was.”

I squeeze Mox, then brush his cheek.

“You are not at fault, my heart, you were simply there. Your mother was right to ask me to save you. I think she knew saving her was not a fight I could win, but that I was so frightened and sad that I would have tried and lost you both.”

I kiss Shy’s hair again.

“I still miss her very much,” I whisper, “but she gave me the best, most precious gift of my life when she gave me the both of you.”

Bon,

Both Shy and Mox tear up at that. They hug you fiercely, and it's the closest moment you three have had in ages. Gone is the tempestuous young girl that Shy's been as she enjoys your kiss on her head and rubs Mox's back.

Eventually, the moment ends, as all do. Shy's face is wet from tears, Mox seems reflective, touched by the emotion, but not crying.

Mox
    "Thanks, Aunt Bon." he says in a quiet voice.

End Scene