[Junk XIII] Quick Change on the Way to Redcliffe (J 6-4)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

After riding for a couple hours, you're starting to relax, sure that you weren't followed. You should reach Redcliffe by dawn. Parfait just asked you to pull over, probably to take a pee or something. She was riding behind you, and with your sore rib, she's been keeping her hands on the seat instead of you.

When you drop the kickstand, she hops off the bike and walks around to the headlight, fishing some stuff out of her red backpack. She fishes out a sequin dress and lays it on a scrub bush, then quickly starts shucking off her clothes, her shirt, her denim dress and shoes. It looks like she's changing into some gown of some kind.

What do you do?

Comments

• Well I must admit I'm slightly confused by all this... I watch attentively as she walks out to the headlights, producing the dress, and shedding her clothes ... Is she changing into that dress? ... Why?

"Parfait, my dear... Your dress looks fantastic; but I must know, is there some special occasion you're expecting in Redcliffe?"
  • She spends a moment trying to wriggle it over her head, but she didn't undo the right zipper, "This is how they dress! Like you! I'm stuck. Help me, Jack."

Parfait is standing with her dress over her head and buck naked from the breasts down. It's quite comical.

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    Dear gods... Save me from myself, and keep me from laughing. I kill the engine, but keep the light running and step off the bike to help her. I pull the dress off her, and lower it down into the light, showing her the proper zippers, and whatnot. "Here," I offer, showing it to her, "you should likely be aware that people do not all dress the way I do... That's not to say you shouldn't dress the way you like — and if this is what you'd like to wear, I must say you certainly have impeccable taste — but it isn't strictly necessary my dear."

I hold the dress for her, impartial as to whether she'd like to wear it, or change back into her former clothing. "Your old clothes would be perfectly acceptable in polite company, if a bit less dramatic." Drab. Boring. These are the words I will not use, in spite of my own personal preferences. I believe Kiddo had a friend who was enamored with dresses such as this... I don't recall her receiving any flak for her fashion choice."
  • She watches you work the zipper and stands there completely nude, a little cold. She takes the nice dress, and slips it over and smiles, "I want to look like you. We can pretend to be a couple. That's what they call the mates, couples." She gives you a winning smile that looks just a tiny bit predatory, force of habit, then turns to put her pack up and try to get back on the bike.

After a few tries of lifting her leg high enough, she hitches the dress up to her waist, and throws a leg over, then sits down, "This dress. It wasn't made for biking."
  • I smile back at her softly, as much a demonstration as a legitimate show of affection... "So we're pretending then?" I tease, "fair enough." I slick back some hair and walk over to her slowly as she tries, and fails to mount the bike. I notice she's a bit cold, and remove my jacket. I offer to drape it over her shoulders.

Whether she accepts my offer or not, I offer to help her up. "The dress is admittedly more for show," I assure her, "but there is a way you can ride with it... You keep both legs to one side. I don't normally use a bike... It may be advantageous for us to trade in for something more... Practical. Less recognizable to our former family."
  • "Yeah, pretending," she says with a grin. She takes the jacket from you with a nod. "I need those underwears, I think. I'm not riding sideways! That's frakkin stupid, I'll fall off!"

When you talk about trading in the bike, she says sadly, "Yeah... but it is a dead sexy bike."
  • I help her hike up her dress and sit forwards then. I suppose if anyone in Redcliffe has such fragile sensibilities, then I'll have to send them back to their cave — literally. Once she's settled, I hop back on and start up the engine. "Well, we can hold onto it for the foreseeable future. I should warn you — Redcliffe isn't exactly the peak of civilized society, my dear. For the most part it's quite tame — people keep to themselves, and partake in their various trades. I don't expect we'll be there long..."
  • edited November 2013
    "Okay... honey." She says in your ear, then she sits back while you ride off.

As the sun rises over Redcliffe and folks start emerging from their homes under the shelf, you're riding in. Parfait is looking around, at the people, the kids, too. Her surprise is obvious.

Where are you headed first?
  • I look back at Parfait over my shoulder as we ride up to Redcliffe, marveling in her awe of the people. I stay quiet though, and focus on getting us into the shelter of the little village. I'm heading straight to Remmington's place in hopes that we'll be able to come to some sort of an arrangement over some munitions. It's best we be prepared first, before taking in the sights.
  • You park the bike right outside Remi's and help Parfait get off the seat, then head in.

It's early, so you end up waking up Remi. He fell asleep listening to some old guitar virtuoso stuff, actually quite nice. He looks up, at Parfait first, then you, "Hey, Jack. Awful early, aint it? What ya need?"

Parfait's eyes are wide at all the guns and tools. She walks over, barefoot, to the workbench, looks over the vise and the drill bits.
  • I smile back at Remi, and am in the middle of opening my mouth to speak when Parfait wanders into Remi's workshop... My eyes follow her in, and I keep an eye on her as I talk. "Apologies. We've been riding all night, and we're a bit paranoid. I was hoping you could help me find some munitions for a very specific rifle..." I produce the gun my mother gave me, "I'm a bit short on things to trade at the moment, but if you're in need of my services — or know someone who might be — I'd be happy to help however I can."
  • edited November 2013
    Remi watches Parfait pick through his stuff with a weird smile, then answers you without taking his eyes off her, "Don't worry about it. I got lots of bullets for lotsa guns, Jack. Show me the rifle, I'll see what I got." He pauses, watches as Parfait picks up a socket wrench and mimics using it like a club, then says, "Don't need any of your services right now, no offense. Maybe you could help Majesta, he's having trouble with his girl. So uh... does she have any services to offer?"
  • "No," I answer, perhaps too eagerly. I relax, and shake my head, "no. She's not working anything at the moment – merely travelling. With me." Although I suppose we should have that discussion at some point... Not about sex, of course – about her skills and passions.

I scratch at the stubble on my cheek a moment, and reply, "you say Majesta and Twix are having issues? That's most upsetting... Perhaps I'll speak to them then. Where are they staying?"
  • Remi gives you directions, the place is just inside the shelf, not far away.

As you're walking, she asks, "He wanted to frak me for jingle, right?" Her tone is curious, not offended. "What do these people think your services are? The same?" That one is a joke. Mostly.
  • I thank Remi for the information, and set off down the path towards Majesta's place. It is a shame that my services are often spend testing the loyalties of decent people... I suppose if I can help someone find trust in their partner, then that will have to suffice.

I smile when Parfait comments on Remi's offer, and give her a sidelong glance as we walk. "A gold star for you, my dear. Customs and practices vary wildly from village to village, but you will find the oldest profession is something of a universal truth. It is generally considered rude to advertise services such as that in polite company."

I take a few paces to let some people pass by us before continuing. "My reputation is more as a reliable judge of character. I have never slept with a client – as my abilities make the prospect too dangerous – but I have formed many close friendships in my time... And have suffered a few broken hearts."

I clear my throat in an attempt to change the subject. "For the moment, let us simply get established my dear. I will endeavor to provide for us in the short term; but do take note, if you care to, about something you feel you might be willing to do for jingle. My word can help you establish your professional reputation – if you so desire."
  • "Establishd?" she repeats in a question. "Are we going to stay here?"

You arrive just outside the modest home Remi described, a three room house built beside a small pond. The area between the house and the pond has a set of chairs and a table with a grille.
  • I wonder if letting people know Parfait is with me makes us an easier target... Perhaps I should consider thinking this through a little more carefully... I shake my head, "no, my dear — but even as a wanderer I have established a reputation as a reliable individual. If you are content to simply travel for the moment, then I'm in no rush to have you take up a trade. Simply be mindful that everything you do out here will earn you a label — and labels, particularly ones of our heritage, are very difficult to overcome."

I walk up to the house, and look around — Majesta and Twix have done well for themselves... I offer Parfait my arm, "Shall we see if they're home my dear?"
  • "I like traveling, Jack," she says quietly. "I wanna ride with you. I mean, settling here, it's... exciting and I'm sure I'd figure it out. But I like learning from you." She grins.

When you walk up to the house, she shrugs, as if to say "why not?" I assume you knock. In a minute, a woman comes to the door. She looks tired, like she was awake, but didn't have a restful sleep. It's Twix. She doesn't recognize you, does she? Well, not yet, at least. "Hello?"
  • Settling is such an odd concept to me... I suppose I've never really felt the urge to stop and stay somewhere before. I've never had a reason to. I can appreciate the aesthetic and comfort people might experience from owning quaint little homes like this, but it still seems quite foreign to me. I smile back at her, "the world is our oyster, my dear. I'm sure you'll tire of my pedantic observations eventually; but for now, let us enjoy the sights."

The door opens up, and I straighten into a more professional posture, despite the discomfort in my chest — old habits die hard. Twix and I have not been acquainted on many occasions... She's seen me sitting at a bar with her "husband" a great many times, but we've rarely spoken. I smile at her, "my apologies for intruding at such an hour, my dear — I was wondering if Majesta was home... I was hoping I could speak with him."
  • Twix looks at you for a moment, then past you at Parfait. "You're Jack, right? Sure, c'mon in. He's inside." She steps out of the door frame to let you both in.

The main room is cozy, and sparsely appointed. There's a couch and mismatched chair, and a small case of books. Lots of little wooden knick-knacks, and the place smells like wood oil. On the small table in front of the couch is a large metal file, a small hammer and chisel, and basically a log.

Twix gestures to the couch, "Have a seat, please." She heads into the back to talk with Majesta.

What do you do?
  • I bow graciously when Twix lets us in, and I guide Parfait over to the couch. I take in the scene while we wait. I seem to recall Majesta "mentioning" Twix's craft... I had no idea she was as skilled as she is.
  • edited November 2013
    Parfait's eyes light up when she sees a carving of a plaguedog. She snatches it up when she sits beside it and starts making it hop around. She giggles and makes doggie growling noises, mimicking that the carving is staring you down.

That's when Majesta comes in, he's shirtless and smells like grain alcohol, the kind of smell mixed with sweat that means he isn't drinking now, his body is still trying to rid itself of what he drank last night. He walks over to take a seat beside you, on the chair.

"What do you want, Jack?" he asks.
  • I smirk as Parfait plays with the little plaguedog, struggling to maintain a professional aura as she mimics a dog attempting to deke me. It is only a struggle however until I see Majesta. Dear gods, that man is almost as bad as Rinso was... I'm almost at a loss for words!

... Almost. "A little bird told me you've been having some troubles lately, and I was hoping to come and offer my services." Though admittedly, I feel horrible having to charge him for it. "Is everything alright, Majesta?"
  • "No, Jack, it's not." Majesta says sourly. "My one and only... aint my one, or my only..."

"I told you, Jesta, it was just the once!" Twix protests, tears coming to her eyes.

He points at her, still looking at you, Jack, "And how am I supposed to trust her? Take her word for it? When she was perfectly happy lying to my face for what, for a couple years?!? And she never would have told me drek if he hadn't come along and broke the news... So Jack, can you look in her head, tell me if she's frakked anyone else? And what'll that cost me? I'm sure we can sell some of her carvings to pay for it."
  • I can... But will he believe me? Infidelity is such an insidious thing. I sigh, and nod somberly, "I could... There are two ways we could go about this: I can ask her a series of questions that will tease certain truths out of her, or we can try something more ... experimental." I turn to Twix, "I will not lie: the latter experience is deeply personal, and can be painful with no benefit — but it can reveal things about yourself you possibly don't know. It could bring you both peace."

I look around the room at the lovely pieces of work Twix has made. I am not happy forcing her to sell them at Majesta's request... "If you agree — then I am in need of some munitions that Remi stocks. That would cover the balance." I look down at the plaguedog Parfait was playing with, and smirk. I wonder if it has sentimental value... I opt to say nothing for the moment.
  • Twix looks at you, then to Majesta. She says quietly, but without flinching away, "Whatever will end this drek. It's been weeks, I've got no more words I can think to say."

Majesta sneers a bit, "No pain no gain. Do what you gotta do to tell me the truth about her drek. I can't trust her anymore, Jack. Every time she leaves, I'm thinking... who's she with now?" He looks over at Parfait, who's really not showing much compassion here. She's still quietly hopping the dog along, keeping to herself. He says, "We can settle up with Remi, he owes us for a table and had his eye on some work I'm doing. And honey, you can keep that dog, too, if you want."

Twix moves closer from the wall where she was standing, "Okay, Jack. What do you need me to do?"
  • I rub Parfait's back when Majesta offers her the dog, and lean in to whisper, "be sure to thank him, my dear. Families here are not communal, like the tribe." I stand and offer my seat to Twix, "Have a seat, my dear, and give me your hands."
  • Parfait looks a little confused, but she looks up and says, "Thanks!"

Twix looks to Majesta, says, "Is this what you want, Majesta? If he says its over, can we get past this?"

Majesta scowls, "Let's see what he says, Twix. Let's see what he says."

She comes over to sit by you, still looking at Majesta, then she turns her gaze to you, and puts her hands in yours. Her hands are callused in places, nails kept short. She works with these hands, they are important to her.

What do you do?
  • I grip her hands gently, and look deeply into her eyes from above. I can feel our heartbeats sync up, and I try to match her breathing... I listen for those whispers in her mind — the ones she ignores. Don't suppress them my dear — speak up!
  • OOC: Deep Brain Scan on Twix. Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 14)
  • OOC: Holding 3.

I feel the corner of my mouth lift into a crooked smile when I feel it — that connection I normally hide from in intimacy — only this time I meet it without shame. I let the connection grow, and in the softest of voices ask, "my dear, tell me of your darkest moment."

OOC: 1/3 — what was your character’s lowest moment?
  • Twix relaxed into your smile and the intimate moment you share there in her home. In a dreamy voice, she answers, "My darkest moment, Jack, was waking up in Rinso's arms, and realizing I'd cheated on Majesta. That I broke our vows. That if he knew what I'd done, it would hurt him, and he would never trust me." She takes a breath, then continues, still trapped in your eyes, "But the worst part? The darkest? Is knowing that I was more worried about hiding it than I was about what I'd done."
  • edited November 2013
    ... I don't like where this is going, but I don't want to let the connection slip. I maintain eye contact, and sway my head slightly to make sure she follows — still with me, as it were. "what truly pains you, my dear?"

OOC: what are Twix’s secret pains?
  • Majesta's leaning in now, listening with a look of deep pain on his face. Parfait's watching him, and Twix, too. This level of trust and emotion is pretty confusing for her, but she stays quiet.

Twix answers, that dreamy voice giving her voice a slow dance quality to it, "I'm tired of this life, our life together. He's all I've ever known, and I want to know more. I shouldn't have cheated on him. I don't want to hurt Majesta. He's a good man. I'm just... ready to move on with my life. I just. I don't know how. I'm trapped, so very, very trapped."

Majesta's blinking now, wiping at his face. This is it, everything he feared.
  • This is terrible... This relationship is falling apart at the seams, and I'm the one tugging at the threads. I need something. my expression turns urgent, and I stare at her intensely, "tell me what you crave in life, my dear. What tempts you to do these things?"

OOC: in what ways are Twix’s mind and soul vulnerable?
  • Twix keeps talking, since she's drawn into your scan and unaware of the impact of her words. Asking her what she wants, what tempts her to cheat on Majesta, in deed and in her heart, she looks at you for a moment. "I want... I want to be alone. I want to be on my own. I don't even know who I am anymore, except as his better half. I want... to be free."

Majesta says quietly, like he's holding back an outburst, but the word slips out, "Frak..."
  • I let her hands slip from my grip, and blink as I stand up straight, breaking my hold on her gaze. I cross my arms uncomfortably, and take a step back from her — very clearly disturbed by the words I've just summoned from her inner psyche. I slick back a strand of hair that's fallen in my eyes, and look around the room as I strive to come up with something to say...

But there's nothing to be said, is there? It is clear this relationship is based on lies between two peoples who are in denial. I turn away from the group, and look out a window to spare myself having to look at either of them... I feel as though I have just destroyed a long standing relationship — despite only being the messenger.

I look over my shoulder, and calmly call out to Parfait, "Parfait, my dear... We should take our leave."
  • Twix slips from her trance and looks at Majesta. He can't meet her gaze. He says, "Tell Remi I've got you for the ammo, Jack."

Once you're outside, Parfait asks, "Why didn't she leave him? That makes no sense. Why would someone stay miserable like that?"
  • I give Majesta a sidelong glance, and nod somberly. I have nothing to say here. This is most unhappy news... I feel awful for doing this to these people. I only hope they can see this unfortunate truth for what it is — an opportunity for them both to be happy. I look to Twix on my way out – holding her gaze one more time, this time to give her courage to do what must be done – before opening the door, and stepping out.

I look to Parfait when she asks why Twix didn't leave... To be truthful, I'm shocked she's asking this question — considering she's lived a lie her whole life. My expression softens, and I stop to give her my full attention. "Self-delusion is a battle we all fight my dear... Twix felt so safe in her life that she could not bear to face the harsh realities of the world alone. Sometimes, life will present you with opportunities to seek out your true self," I pause a moment to let her draw the connection, "other times, we wall ourselves in with lies about who we are, and deny the truth."

I put a hand on her shoulder, and smile, "This is an opportunity for them both, my dear... It is the ugly truth — that they do not belong together — staring them in the face, and screaming at them to address it for perhaps the first time. If they are wise, they will seize this chance at happiness — as I believe you have — and they will be all the better for it."
  • Parfait looks at you, listens close. You realize she was confused by Twix and maybe a little angry at her for the exact reason you're shocked she's asking the question. People often hate in others the things they find lacking in themselves.

At the end of your little speech, she grins again, like she's moved past their misfortune. She says, "I'd like to seize some more happiness, but somebody rib's all busted. When do you think we could try again, Jack?"

Where are you headed, back to Remi's? That's no big deal, really. He'll take your word, re-up your ammo for you. If you have more to say to him, then we can do that. Otherwise, where would you go next?
  • I look around as we walk away from the nightmare that was Twix and Majesta's affairs, and pull Parfait off to the side of the road for a moment. I slip my hands on her waist, and hold her close. "Soon enough, my dear... Perhaps we can celebrate our first night together as a "couple" touring the flats." I smirk playfully and inflect suggestively as I use the title Parfait has suggested for us, "if I can find us a bed to sleep in, rather than a bedroll in a cave."

I lift her chin with my fingers, and plant a small kiss on her before suggesting we head to Remi's — I don't have anything specific for him, other than settling up. I do ask him to check in on Majesta and Twix a little later in the day. I would like to do my part, and check in on him... But I would also like to put as much distance between us and the tribe as possible. If he is amenable, I will leave it in his capable hands, and prepare to travel to Boomtown... I have business with Logitech — and I hope the goodwill I had with him will be worth something.
  • "A bed sounds real nice." Parfait replies with a kiss of her own. "You'll find out I'm a better frak without an audience." She says it with an air of flirting and confidence.

Remi agrees to check in on them. He may sell guns, he may be a pothead, but he's part of this little community.

You can head into Boomtown just past noon. Headed to Logitech's first, I assume?
  • I puff out my chest in pride when she shows a little confidence in herself. I point at her, and smirk knowingly. "That right there," I whisper, "that confidence. Lots of that, my dear. It suits you."

I'm very happy that Remi agreed to check on Twix and Majesta. I am confident that with the support of their little community, they will pull through. I may not belong in any one community, but to dabble in them as I have — and to touch them as I have — makes me feel bigger than most men should. I am optimistic.

You are correct about heading to Logitech's... I want to get there as early as possible. Boomtown being modeled after a larger commune, it relies heavily on trade. I am hoping that my services could be of use to someone there.
  • Jack,

Let's move on to here.