[Junk XIII] An Offer of Service (J 6-5)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

You ride up to Boomtown and find the place is still busy. You pass by a couple Pilgrims on your way to Logitech's, but they don't see you. There are a bunch of Libs around as well.

Logitech is inside. He's chatting with his son, Kodak. Now, if Techs been neutral to you before, well, Kodak, he's downright icy. But seeing as how you helped Aqua bring in some damn good seed, Tech is pretty happy with you. He stands up when you enter, "Jack! C;mon in, grab a seat." He walls around when he sees Parfait come in behind you, and walks up to her. He offers his hand to her.

Parfait's seen you shake hands, so she reaches hers up. Tech takes hold of it, and turns it palm down, bends his head down to her hand. You know he's going to kiss it in some silly gentlemanly gesture. Parfait, though, she snatches back her hand with surprise, thinking he was going to bite her or something, and she hisses at him, a warning. She's reaching for the knife that isn't at her side.... because she's wearing a fancy dress. Tech looks totally bamboozled.

What do you do?

Comments

• I jump in as soon as I realize Parfait is uncomfortable, and put a hand on each of their shoulders, "Uh, Logitech — forgive me for being rude. This is Parfait — a very close friend of mine. She's suffered some abuse at the hands of her family, and is still getting used to polite company."

I turn to Parfait, and take her hand in mine, brushing the back of it with my free hand. I smile, calmly, and soothe her ruffled feathers. "My dear, I promise you can trust Logitech — he is a complete gentleman." I calmly bring her hand up to my mouth, and kiss it demonstratively, "there's no need to worry here."
  • Tech murmurs, "Well, I used to think I was a ladies man." But he chuckles it off and says, "I'm sorry for being so forward, Parfait. I'm Logitech. This is my son Kodak. Come in, have a seat. Ko, son, give the lady your seat, you brute!"

Kodak rolls his eyes, but he rises from chair and gestures to the chair for Parfait. Parfait is still watching you, though. She looks at them with confusion and finally says after a pause, "I don't want to sit."

Tech says, "Suit yourself, darlin." He walks back behind his desk and sits back down. "I heard they found Aqua's truck on the road. I'm surprised to see you alive. Is she okay, Jack?"
  • I'm beginning to think I may be overloading the poor girl on her first day — I stand next to Parfait, but turn to address Logitech directly. "I had hoped to come here and learn the particulars of that myself — but I suppose, having been there, I can offer a little more information to the pot. We were ambushed in the night as we traveled, and I was overcome by raiders..."

I pause a moment, wondering just how much I should divulge, and opt to play it safe. "As luck would have it, the raiders were more interested in myself than in Rinso and Aquafina... We were separated. Last I heard, they had made it to Salt safely — but I haven't heard anything else about them. I know Rinso was traveling to the Ascendant. I would imagine they might be there by now."

I smile, "it took every last piece of jingle I had to escape, and some tremendous luck, but here I am — hoping I can be of service to people again."
  • Kodak sits back down, turning to you. He says, "You bought your way out of it? Then it wasn't those frakkin Wendys, then. Those cannibals don't take bribes." Parfait tenses a little.

Tech jumps on what Kodak's saying, "You got any details on these new raiders? What were they riding? Anyone we've seen before?"
  • I suppose I should twist things a little bit... There's no sense in lying to them about the existence of new raiders. "They were Wendys — I promise you that... I wasn't lying about being lucky — I knew one of them in a past life... That one connection may have been the only thing that saved our lives — I believe I burned through every bit of karma I've ever earned in my life that night."

I slip my arm around Parfait's waist, in an attempt to remind her that I will not betray her, and I clear my throat to change the subject. "It suffices to say that the road between Redcliffe and Salt is not safe. I will not be risking that trip any time soon... Do you have any work, Logitech? I could use a safe harbor for a few nights."
  • Tech looks over his papers for a moment, considering. Parfait is staring daggers at Kodak, but he's paying attention to his dad. Tech looks up and says, "Got a shipment heading to Walmart. That's south, so it's safer." He rifles through a couple pages, then, "Or help out at the farm, they need some strong backs with digging rows. Or help the crew at the new refinery. Lots of little jobs, not much suited to your talents right now."

Kodak interjects with, "C'mon, Dad. Let him in on the Bubble City deal. He can back me up on the re-ups. Neither you or me trust them to deal square, and Jack sniffs out liars like nobody's bidness."

Logitech looks up at you, adding, "Or, you can ride with my son to Bubble City, and try to make sure we don't get put over a barrel for their tech."
  • Bubble City... I hope Robin is still licking his wounds. Bubble City is a decent place to view, and I suppose I would not need to return with Kodak... My only worry is that Parfait, who clearly does not have a mind to tolerate Kodak, may not appreciate the company we keep. I suppose if I take the bike, and we keep to ourselves, it might not be an issue.

I turn to Parfait, and whisper, "we can ride separate from the pack, and keep to ourselves, my dear. If this trip lasts two weeks, it would net us enough jingle to float for a few months — ignoring any incidental services I may render on the way." I search her eyes, "are you amenable to letting me accept the job?"
  • She nods, "I trust you, Jack."
  • I nod back, "Thank you, my dear."

I turn back to the gentlemen at the desk, and bow graciously, "I will do what I can. I was fortunate enough to "find" a bike after the incident to make my getaway, so we will not tax your resources on the road. When do you plan to leave?"
  • Kodak answers, "Two days." He's still not convinced on Parfait, but he doesn't say anything directly, "If you want your girl to get paid, she'll need to, you know, lift or cook or something. Otherwise, I'm just paying you, Jack." He didn't offer acting as a guard, you realize.

Tech offers, "You need a place to crash, Jack? I can put you up. You and Parfait both. Call it payback for the extra seed from before."
  • edited December 2013
    I didn't expect him to offer protection for us... In fact, this frees us up to travel apart from the group. This way, we're free to run in the event Robin and his people decide they want to try for another pound of flesh. I nod in acceptance to Kodak's terms, "the lady is with me — I don't expect you to pay her unless she chooses to work." Then I turn to Tech, "thank you, my dear man — we will be ready for departure in two days, and I look forward to helping out."

I look to Parfait and motion to the door, then turn back to the gentlemen, "we shall take our leave. Where would you have us stay?"
  • Parfait moves for the door. Tech reaches into a drawer, fishes out a key and throws it to you, "Grand Seville's got an extra room I use for staff. Nobody's in there, so take it for the next couple days. Just leave it like you found it." He winks, "And clean the sheets. heh."

At the door, Parfait says, "Thank you, Logitech." She heads out with you, giving you a curious look as you close the door. "What did he mean?"

Where do you head now?
  • I bow graciously again on the way out, after catching the keys, and follow Parfait out the door, closing it behind us. I smile when she thanks Logitech — she is a quick learner. I rub her back sensually as we walk down the thoroughfare, and squint in consideration of a tactful way to answer her question.

None comes. "The general expectation of guests is that they will not alter the state of the spaces they occupy — if something is dirtied, they clean it. If something is broken, they fix or replace it." I lean closer to her, and whisper, "and if you spend two days being intimate with a beautiful woman, you clean the sheets when you're done."

I'd like to put our valuables in the room, and lock them up — then I'll do whatever Parfait desires.
  • "Take me to a place to eat, Jack." Parfait says while you're standing in the room together. "I'm hungry, and I've always wanted to eat at a resterhaunt."
  • Oh, the lady is in for a surprise I think. Nobody cooks like Butter Nut. "Absolutely my dear — the finest dining in the flats, as you demand... Have you had experience eating with cutlery?"
  • "Who is that? I don't know a Cutlery." she asks.
  • Shoot.

... Well, this will be an adventure. I smile, and answer, "No, my dear... It's ... Well... They're tools... You know what? This is simply better seen than spoken. There are many nuances to eating in the flats — simply follow my lead, yes?"
  • Parfait nods enthusiastically, this seems like an adventure.

You're out on the street, walking towards Sprite's, and Parfait is doing the couple-pretending, which means she's holding your hand. Her comment when she grabbed your hand was, "I saw these two kids doing it. They were a couple, I'm pretty sure."

Then she changes the subject, "I can do lots of things, Jack. I don't know what makes jingle, so you tell me."

She pauses while you find a table outside and wait for a server. Parfait's quite entertained by this adventure, she's beaming. She continues, "I can skin animals, lots of different animals. I can cook... but I know that isn't a good idea. I can sew and mend clothes, and armor, too, which is harder. I've even weaved a few things, but it's really frakkin hard. I'm good at cleaning weapons, and I am a good shot with a rifle. Also, I make pretty jewelry, too. Out of whatever I can find... on, you know."

She points to her necklace, which looks like this:
    jewelry

Butter Nut comes up, "Hi Jack!" She smiles at Parfait, "Hi there, my name's Butter Nut. It's nice to meet you."

Parfait matches her smile and shakes her hand the way Tech shook, which is quite a bit firmer than Butter expected, but she just smiles, "I'm Parfait. Nice to meet you, Butter Nut."

Butter Nut gently takes her hand back, not disturbed in the least. She lists off some of the specials. Which one catches your interest, Jack?
  • I grip her hand tightly in reassurance that this is indeed something couples to. I meander our way over to Sprite's and take some time to enjoy the walk. "You could do any of those things for jingle, if you so desired. Skinning and tailoring are always in high demand, and fine jewelry is in high demand among some of the richer denizens of the flats. The trick is to simply have your services available at all times — you're never certain when a prospective client will approach you. There are markets where we can sell and trade goods with the rich, and trading posts where we can sell things like skins to people who work in the wilderness. I'm confident you'll find a place in the economy, my dear — and those skills suit travelers very well, might I add."

I smile when Butter Nut comes out to greet us, and notice her surprise when Parfait takes her hand... Her handshake... I chuckle to myself, and listen to the specials. "What was that last bit you said? About five-spice chicken with peanut satay? That sounds fantastic my dear."
  • Butter Nut grins appreciatively, "Oh Jack, I adore your palette. Thank you! And for you, Parfait?"

Parfait blinks, like she isn't sure how many different items were just listed. So she says, "The same." Butter Nut grins and nods and heads off.

Once she leaves, Parfait asks, "I don't think jewelry will be needed on the road, right? But I might make some pieces. I just don't have anything. What do flats people do with raiders?"
  • I beam back at Butter Nut when she grins and walks off, then return my attention to Parfait. "Jewelry won't be needed on the road no; but if you happen to make some, and we wander into a town with a market, then we stand to make some jingle selling it. We fit into many markets, my dear."

I casually lean forward and lower my voice when she mentions raiders, "what people do in the flats with raiders depends on what the raiders have done, and whether or not they can prove their trustworthiness to the communities they're looking to join. If they were particularly notorious, they may be sentenced to death, and buried — others may be offered positions on the town guard, or join up with respectable gangs to prove themselves. Rarely will you find a pile of dead bodies to pick through."

I lean back in my chair, and smile warmly, "gods forbid we get attacked on the road — but in the event we do, I'm sure you'll find a great deal of material for your work."
  • Butter Nut brings you both some beer, some Crestbrew. Parfait takes a sip, then says, "Jack, if you're worried about getting attacked... then you better find somewhere else to sleep tonight. 'Cause Ima attack you a whole lot." She grins, then takes another sip.

After a few more minutes, Butter Nut brings out the main dish, which smells incredible. Your mouth waters when it comes near, and Parfait looks at it like it's three shades of wrong, but keeps quiet until Butter Nut leaves.

"What happened to it?" Parfait asks, touching the meat with her finger.
  • I smirk when she implies I should worry, and shake my head dismissively, "I'm not worried — you'll find I can be quite accommodating to attacks of that kind." Raider attacks, however... That's a different story.

I do indeed salivate at the beautiful aroma of the dish Butter Nut has provided for us, and I almost forget to check on Parfait until she brings up her concerns... Hmm... "Well she minced and baked it my dear, and added some spices to the meat for flavor." I point to the dab of brown sauce with peanuts floating in it, "and that is satay sauce — a spicy and sweet nut mixture that you can dip it in. Here, look..."

I grab my cutlery and cut off a piece of the chicken, then apply a small amount of the sauce to it, before offering it to her. "Taste it! It's a different texture, to be sure, but I guarantee you it is a fantastic dish!"
  • She watches with interest as you explain it to her, like the words make it more food-like. When you offer the food, she leans over and takes the bite. She chews on it with an open mouth, you see her working it around with her tongue, looking up like she's processing these new tastes.

Finally, she takes a drink of the beer to wash it down, and says, "I have never had anything like it. It's pretty frakkin good!"
  • I'm so absorbed in her charm that it doesn't even occur to me she's drinking alcohol until just now... I frown slightly, concerned, and whisper, "my dear... Given that our reunion was one in which you were attempting to get pregnant, perhaps it would be prudent if you avoid alcohol until we know one way or the other..."
  • Her eyes flare a bit and she takes another drink, like an animal when it thinks you're taking away its bowl. "Why?"
  • ... Well, that certainly explains a lot. I frown discouragingly, and purse my lips in contemplation. Surely at a week there can be no harm, but I know the continued consumption of alcohol will be problematic down the line.

I raise my hands to show her I won't be taking her drink from her, and calmly state, "conception, and child-rearing here in the flats is a very touchy subject... Children are revered out here as hope for the future. Pregnant women are not allowed to drink, because it can have serious adverse effects on the baby's development — and women who lose children take it very seriously. If you have a child in you, wouldn't you want the best for it, my dear?"
  • She looks at you like she's piecing this together, barely following. Finally, she asks, "The brew might... hurt our baby?"

Parfait giggles, "Our baby..." She puts the bottle down on the table, leans forward to you, "What else do flats women stay away from? Can I still frak? Take the root? Run around?"
  • edited December 2013
    I shake my head when she asks what pregnant women stay away from. "Pregnant women, my dear. Women who are not pregnant drink all the time, and often only limit what they do to their preferences and imaginations. We will have to consult with a doctor regarding the root, and many pregnant women I've met are able to run — not that many of them have ever chosen to do so for extended periods of time. As for," I clear my throat, and smirk "frakking — I've never had a pregnant woman before, out of sheer fear that I might... That I might, uh..."

... Oh gods... My face goes pale... What if I slip up in the throws of intimacy and harm the child? Would it translate in that way? I don't know... I sincerely hope not.
  • "But.... but...." Parfait stammers. "But I like frakking you!" She scowls, and sort of hunches in on herself for a moment, like the one thing she felt really excited and comfortable with was taken away.

It passes and she perks up, "You have doctors here, right? Let's go see them all for the pregnant stuff." She starts eating her food with her hands, just picking at pieces, not big handfuls of it. Then she stops and watches you with a fork and knife and tries to mimic it. Not very well.
  • Nobody is more concerned about this development than me... I pick up the pace in eating, determined to see this doctor. "Surely there are women who suffer fits that have children... If it is a risk to the child, then I would rather find out early," I smirk, "and make more."
  • Parfait snorts a laugh and joins you in scarfing the food. She starts to wash it down with her beer, then reaches for the water instead, and gulps it down. She wipes at her mouth with the sleeve of her gown and giggles, "We should try a whole lots, Jack."

Butter Nut comes by when you're nearly done, "What did you think about the food, Parfait?"

"It was good, Butter Nut... thank you." she says to Butter Nut, then looks back to you.
  • I'm wiping my mouth with my napkin, and reaching for my glass as Butter approaches us. I nod approvingly of Parfait's manners, restating the vote of confidence in Butter Nut's meal. "You never cease to amaze me my dear. Thank you very much. We're heading to Bubble City in a few days. If they have any Butter Nut Squash, I'll be sure to send it your way."

I offer my hand to Parfait, and take a relaxing breath, "shall we see about that doctor my dear?"
  • Butter Nut squeals a tiny bit at your offer and you end the meal together pleasantly.

Let's skip ahead.

You're at Kim's Clinic with Parfait. The examination was... odd. Parfait was nervous, but compliant, more or less. She spent most of the time touching instruments or asking questions, some ignorant, others naive but clever.

Kim's nurse Duracell was quite amused by Parfait's questions. Kim, however, was not. She asked Parfait to sit still, and be quiet. After having her pee on a stick, which meant explaining she should head to the small port-a-potty, not pee right there in the small exam room, she came back and handed the stick.

You've been waiting for the results, and Kim just walked over. "The test we're using is not one hundred percent accurate at this stage of development. However, it is likely that you are currently pregnant. There's a host of things you need to avoid, I have a small list I can provide you. Did either of you have any questions?"
  • Duracell's patience rivals that of the old oracles. I knew what to expect, so I was not surprised — but it's obvious poor Kim had her hands full. This was particularly evident when all three of us jumped to stop her from peeing on the examining table. I'm trying to help Parfait calm down after it all by telling her about the time I interrogated a man in a coma — in this very infirmary. I caught his mind screaming from clear across the town in a bar called Loot's — he pleaded with me to find his stash of jingle so I might pay his medical bills.

I'm waiting patiently by the time Kim comes back, and I listen to her reveal what I already knew. I feign surprise — it seems the appropriate thing to do. I'm willing to wager a fair sum that the list would mean nothing to Parfait written down, so I butt in. "I'll take it doctor — thank you. I do have some concerns, actually... She's suffered from a few fits in her life — they are rare, but occasionally violent. She once broke her nose as a child — if something quite so bad were to happen to her, would the baby be at risk?"
  • Kim smiles now, like this vulnerability changes her view of your visit somehow. She says warmly, "There's an increased risk of complications, like severe morning sickness or anemia during, and some problems as the baby grows, but all of them can be managed. At this point, if she's taking any medication for her fits, I'd recommend she continue, the risk of it affecting the baby is very small." She pats Parfait's hand, "You're young, strong and healthy. You will be just fine. I think you should keep checking in with me to make sure. Let's say in a few weeks, ok?"

Parfait nods, but she looks to you to make sure, saying, "We, ah, travel lots."

"That's fine. Be careful on the road, of course. There are good docs at Bubble City, Trench, and the Ascendant, I believe. Although I'm less sure about the Ascendant. Also, if you're worried and it is nearby, there is a good clinic in Tradertown, but its pretty pricey."
  • I smile and nod along, feeling slightly less worried about it all. "Thank you doctor. She's not on medication at the moment, but if they start becoming regular, we'll certainly consider it."

I cock my head curiously when she mentions the Ascendant, "A good doctor at the Ascendant? Last I heard they were still looking for someone — who filled the position?"
  • Kim shrugs, "I dunno, Jack. I don't leave my clinic too much. Last I heard, one of Lever's students went up there. Her name was... Janker I think."
  • "Janco," I correct without a trace of harshness. Most interesting — I had thought she wanted to take over Lever's position in Trench. I wonder why she left... "Well, it's good to know there are capable people all around. Is there anything I can do to repay you for your efforts here today? Do you need any assistance with any patients?"
  • Kim looks at you, considering. She says low for just your ears, "Well, yes, actually. I mean, if you're willing. There's a guy named Radiant, real old. He's in a coma, and his internal organs are failing on him. He doesn't have much time left, I don't think he's going to wake up. He's got a couple family members who are in rough shape, they told me he had some stuff stored away somewhere, but they don't know where. Is that... something you can do?"
  • I lift an eyebrow and nod, "I could try, yes. Could you take me to them?"
  • Kim nods, and leads you, and I assume Parfait, into a tent built onto the clinic for long-term care. The beds here are little more than cots, and you see a very old man, rail thin, long white beard, dark brown skin. There is a young man and a middle-aged woman sitting in folding chairs by his side.

When you come close, they look up, the two folks in chairs. They look worn and sad, drawn out from worry. Kim says to you and Parfait, "This is our patient Radiant, his niece Vianet, and her boy Tacoma. Vianet, Tacoma, this is Jack and his girl Parfait."

Vianet and Tacoma nod, not comprehending this at all.

What do you do?
  • I bow courteously when introduced, and waste no time getting down to business... "First of all, my deepest sympathies for the misfortune that has befallen your family. I have been made to believe that your uncle has some information locked in that mind of his, and you would like it retrieved... I have a means of obtaining that information, if you are so amenable."
  • They both seem numb to condolences, but they aren't rude about it. Vianet looks at you with surprise when you offer to retrieve his info. "We..." she swallows, this isn't easy for her to say. She flicks a glance to Tacoma, like he's a reason for this. "We need to know where his bunker is. Our entire inheritance, what little there is left, is there. We owe many people, including Kim, of course. But it should be enough to help."
  • You would think that when presented with a chance to commune with someone for the last time you would want to know more than the location of your inheritance – but I am not one to judge... I am merely here to help Kim.

I walk over to the opposite side of Radiant's bed, and close my eyes to focus. I listen for the faintest whisper his mind can muster, and quietly utter, "your family needs you, Radiant. Where is this bunker of yours?"

• OOC: opening brain. Roll+weird. +1XP
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 9)
  • You catch a flood of images, Jack.

Tacoma playing chess with a healthy Radiant, in a loop, over and over, a pleasant memory held tight.
    You catch images of Vianet smothering Radiant, then holding his hand as he wastes away, like someone flipping a light switch on then off, on and then off. Over and over.
    A younger Radiant in the cellar of one of Grand Seville's hotels, slowly adding stones to an open archway, blocking it up.
    Dozens of dead people, their corpses marked by disease and violence, all standing around Kim, touching her clothes, her body, pulling at her, down, down, down.
  • You know — of all the things I saw, the sight of Kim has me most concerned. I've been in bars — I know what bitterness is. There are hundreds of people who drink regularly, cursing their parents with every thought for their troubles... Kim though — that sounds dangerous.

My eyes linger on her a moment — I want to say something, but do not know what to say. I frown in frustration, and turn to face Tacoma. "You are a very fortunate young man... Your great uncle thinks very highly of your times playing chess, and It would appear your mother would do anything for you to lead a privileged life." Grand Seville... I don't know how many hotels he's had, but I suppose that information might be useful for them... "I must speak to someone, and do some research. Tacoma, would you be interested in joining me?"

I stand, and walk over to Kim. When close enough, I whisper, "Radiant's chances might improve if he was not plagued with so many visitors."
  • Tacoma looks up, like you roused him from a dream. He looks to Vianet, who just nods, giving permission, then rises from his chair to follow you out.

Kim looks at you, like it doesn't register right away, but then her eyes flicker and she nods, "Alright, yeah."

What do you do?
  • I collect Parfait, and take the young man to Grand Seville's... I'm hoping he can give the young boy a tour.
  • Alright, let's skip ahead then.

The best person to sweet talk into a tour isn't Grand Seville, he's a secretive frakker. is daughter Barinet, though, she's a little loose... I mean, she's got a loose tongue.

You can catch up with her around the main building, not the overflows. How do you know her?
  • Barinet — ah yes, the young lady I convinced to stop lying to herself and finally approach a woman for intimacy. Never have I heard such disconcerting thoughts of self-doubt and delusion... I seem to recall her heading off with Kiddo that night — so I would imagine things went well!

I approach her with a smile, my dear Barinet! How are you!"
  • Barinet was working on "the books" for her dad, siting on the counter in the lobby of the main hostel. She looks up and beams at you, then totally checks out Parfait while answering, "Hey, Jack! How's my favorite mind frakker?" She grins.

There's nobody in here right now. Junk Radio is playing some bouncy rock tune, what is it?
  • I'm not sure what the song's title is, as it's out of my usual listening, but the lyrics, "dude looks like a lady," are being repeated ad nauseum. I force an uncomfortable smile for her when she tries to be humorous, but the title "mind-frakker" does not sit well with me. I do not frak minds. I would never do such a thing. I know Barinet means no harm, but it still hurts that this is a title that hovers in the back of everyone's minds.

"Barinet, always a pleasure to see you. This is my partner Parfait — we're staying in one of your rooms tonight. Are you busy? I just realized I've never fully explored this marvelous place, and I was hoping you could show me and my friends around."
  • edited December 2013
    Parfait cuts in with, "He's my girlfriend. No, wait. I'm his girlfriend. We're frakking later." She takes your hand, puts it over her shoulder.

Barinet makes a confused face, purses her lips and asks, "Was that... an invitation?"
  • I chuckle to myself when Parfait giggles, and smile back at Barinet...

... Wait, was she serious? I look over to Parfait, and back at Barinet... Then back to Parfait. Is this my in? "Uh..."
  • OOC: Reading Barinet. Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 9)
  • OOC: How can I get Barinet to show me around?
  • Its totally your in. Let Barinet scratch her itch with Parfait and she'll show you anything you want. And yes, she'll sleep with you, too.

How is homosexuality handled within the Wendys, Jack?
  • Well, see, there's really no such thing as "homosexuality" in the Wendys, because there is no concept of sexuality. When you're raised with people who could care less whether you relieve yourself in private, or masturbate to orgasm in the middle of a common area, the concept of what is socially acceptable becomes less "what we all agree upon" and more "deal with the quirks of others."

There are preferences from person to person to be sure — some of the more sane, and civilized even pair off for the long haul, as Parfait and I have — but sex is more a bodily function to most Wendys. I look to Parfait again, and whisper in her ear, "I need her to show us around... Do you mind if she joins? Or should we simply try and find this bunker on our own?"
  • Parfait looks at her for a moment, then whispers back, "If you want her, she can join. I'm still frakkin you a whole lot, though."
  • Well... Let's be clear, I'm not particularly interested in her — this is merely to find this poor boy's inheritance, and keep him out of the hands of his mother's creditors. I smile, and whisper back to Parfait, "believe me, my dear, you are the center of the evening."

I kiss her neck tenderly in reassurance, and look back to Barinet. "We might be so persuaded... If the offer so intrigues you."
  • Barinet grins, "It does." She looks over at Tacoma, who is busy staring off into space, and adds, "Been a helluva dry spell, man."

What do you do?
  • I smile back, "well, we shall endeavor to fix that. Would you mind showing us around, my dear? I believe Tacoma here is enamored with the architecture — once he's sated, we could talk about how best to go about sating you."
  • Barinet takes you on a tour. And you try to find that stash.

Let's custom move this, yeah?

When you go in search of something seen only in the psychic maelstrom, roll +Sharp.
    On a hit, you find it. On a 10+, it's just like your vision, maybe even better (MC's choice). On a 7-9, you find it, but something's different about it.

On a miss, well, the vision was more of an idea. Maybe you associated things wrong, or maybe it was never there at all.
  • OOC: Finding the baricade. Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 4)
  • You find the passage, right underneath this main house.

It's been cleared out recently. Barinet even mentions it, "Dad was expanding the storage down here and found that. Some bunker, been here for years. Opened it up, and found a bunch of cool drek."

Tacoma goes inside, not even asking permission or anything. Barinet calls after him, "Hey man, be careful. It's dark in there." She shines a flashlight in there. A bunch of canned and jarred food, some tech, a chessboard and pieces, enough to live on for years.

What do you do?
  • ... I suppose this is the nature of the world. Nothing is yours, unless you can truly keep others away from it. I look to Barinet and whisper, "I'm told the room was the young man's uncle's... I suppose it doesn't matter much anymore." I call out to Tacoma, "I'm sorry it came to this. The memories were vague, and disjointed... It is possible he had another location, I suppose... But this is the only one I saw."

I step away from it, and shake my head. It's a shame... I had hoped there would be something to help the poor boy — I suppose all he has now are his memories.
  • Barinet's brow creases, and she looks over at Tacoma. She asks him, "Radiant's your uncle?" He nods. "I liked Radiant, he was a pretty nice guy. Dad and him were friends for years..."

She takes a deep breath, like she's making a decision, then says, "See that satchel? Stuff it with whatever you can carry. And don't ever tell my dad."

Tacoma doesn't hesitate or double-check. He grabs some of the best food, stuff that will sell well, cans, some nice tech, and then the chessboard, then he leaves unless you stop him.

Barinet waits till he leaves, puts her hands o her hips and says to you, "So, this whole tour thing, it was about this, right?"
  • So I see there are some trusting people left in the world... Most interesting. I smile over at Barinet, impressed with her generosity.

I nod, "originally, yes — our offer to join us, however, still stands. Consider it a separate transaction."
  • She shakes her head no dramatically, "Uh uh, Jack. I paid for a night with two sexy little monsters, and that's that. No take-backs, you two. What's your poison? I'll bring you a bottle."
  • She certainly has a vernacular ... Doesn't she?

I smile, "Parfait can't drink, sadly, but I'm partial to that Crest-brew that seems so popular here. We're staying in Logitech's staff room — and we will be making good use of it, I promise you — don't make us wait too long."
  • Barinet grins, "Can't drink?" Parfait shrugs, sadly. "Well, Jack. Don't wear her out before I get there with some Crest's." She leads you up out of the basement and heads on to Loots.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I guide Parfait up to the room, and pin her against the wall, kissing her passionately a few times. "Earlier you mentioned how much more quickly you could enjoy yourself without an audience — I demand proof."
  • Well, Jack. I'm not sure if you are the type of guy who would find it exciting to be thrown onto a comfortable bed, have your pants pulled down to your knees, then fellated until you're ready to be mounted and then subsequently mounted and rutted like a wild animal in heat, of having your neck and ear bitten and nibbled and panted into as a woman grunts and sates herself on you moreso than with you.

But, uhm, that happens.

I'm not even sure if it qualifies as an intimate act? Your call.
  • OOC: I just had the crap frakked out of me... Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 11)
  • Afterwards, you're lying there staring at the ceiling, it's wooden slats, by the way. Parfait is lying beside you, staring at the ceiling, too. She's still panting a bit. Your pants are still around your knees. At some point, you did unbutton your shirt. Or maybe she did.

Parfait says to the ceiling, "They're never going to accept me. The people of the flats. I've hunted them. Killed them. And... you know. Three people, Jack." Her voice is colored by twisted up emotion, mostly confusion, she's sorting through these things, trying to understand them from a different viewpoint. "I just wanted to fit. Be part of something. But I never, ever did. It was so lonely."

She just breathes quietly for a bit, pulse slowing down, calming, "These people are not monsters. I wanted them to be monsters like the stories. Some of them are ugly, though. Ugly hearts. They lie and they steal from each other. I don't know how I will learn that, the lying."

Parfait turns to look at you, "Jack, you are my mate now. We are making a baby together. I'm lost without you, and that makes me scared. I'm not going back to the Wendys, Jack. But I don't know how I'll become one of them, either. I'm stuck in between worlds. Like you." She looks into your eyes, "I'm very happy being here with you right now."
  • I'm silent as she speaks — dumbfounded by what just happened at first, but then moved... This must be why my mother called it a gift. I feel as if this has brought me closer to Parfait — as it must have brought my mother closer to my father — I feel I could listen to Parfait talk for hours. I am watching her intently when she turns to face me — to look me in the eye. I smile when she says she is happy to be here with me — I place my hand on her cheek, and rub it gently with my thumb — I am happy to be here with her as well.

"Many people in the flats have done things they regret, my dear... Some worse than murder, and with more malice and forethought than the fear and lies the Wendys ever gave you. There are monsters out here — as there were back in the tribe — but they are few, and far between." I kiss her tenderly, "you do not need to be accepted. You merely need to play by their rules. We will be tolerated, and perhaps trusted and appreciated by people who let us into their hearts. Lying and stealing will not get you these things — honesty and kindness will. Patience and understanding."

I pull her closer to me, embracing her tightly in my arms as I catch my breath. "Our children will be accepted by them. They will grow up in their world, and learn their rules. They will be better than we are at navigating the social minefield, in ways we could not imagine. We will guide them, together, and give them the love and support they need to thrive here. They will not be Wendys — they will be our kin. I will show you how to live among these people, my dear. With time, you will be comfortable here — and when you think you might be lonely, remember me — mine will be the world that welcomes you with an open heart."
  • She drinks in your words and never breaks eye contact. Then she repeats slowly, weight upon each word, "You are my world, Jack." She kisses you back, trying to mimic your tenderness, which is new for her. Sex for her has always been raw and primal and fierce, but as you know, she's a quick learner.

She's slowly, tenderly pushing her tongue forward, licking at your lips like a pup, her hands on your face, holding it tenderly, when there is a rapid set of knocks at the door. "It's Barinet! Hope you're ready!"

What do you do?
  • I never did really understand the little bit of intimacy the Wendy tribe had... My mother seemed to have a little more insight into it than most, having been with my father; but the rest of them were largely on their own to figure it out. It's clear Parfait was alone in her attempts to find tenderness out there. I will show it to her.

Or at least, I was going to, until the rapping at the door reminds me we have prior engagements. I smile and run a finger up Parfait's neck, "be gentle with our guest — but this tenderness is something solely for us. I would not want to lead the poor girl on." When I'm certain she understands, I rise from the bed, quickly pulling my pants up and fastening them to answer the door.

I greet Barinet with a sly smile, "please come in my dear... We've made ourselves ready for you."
  • Barinet is all smiles, dressed in a skimpy halter top and a mini skirt, with three wine goblets and an over-sized bottle of champagne that has to be centuries old. She comes up to kiss your cheek and says, "Yeah? Well, good!" and uses her heel to gently kick closed the door to the hall.

She cocks her head to look around you to the bed, where Parfait has turned over to lie on her elbow, on her side, completely nude, a very light sheen of sweat on her forehead and across her chest. Barinet gives a low whistle, "You two can raid my basement any day." She looks up at you with a sidelong grin, "Do we need the champagne? Or can I just feast on your girlfriend right now?"
  • This woman has a full complement of unfortunately inappropriate turns of phrases. I look to Parfait with a look that screams "Relax – it was a euphemism."

... If there is such a look, I suppose. Perhaps it was more so a look of trust.

I take the glasses and bottle from her, and walk her over to the bed – being sure to leave the gift behind on the nightstand. "Well, why don't we ask the lady? Parfait – Barinet would like to join us in our fun. Are you rested enough to go again?"
  • Parfait follows you and Barinet both, her face curious, eyes wide. She answers with a nod, "Yes. I am ready for more. Come here, Barinet, we will have fun on this soft bed."

Barinet takes a breath of anticipation like a kid on Christmas morning, and no longer needing to hold the glasses or bottle, she hops onto the bed with a giggle and crawls up to begin kissing Parfait's taut belly, then working her way upwards in a meandering line. Parfait rolls onto her back, and pulls a pillow behind her so she can look down and watch.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    You see, the problem with champagne is that it loses a tremendous amount of flavor when warm. I noticed the condensation on the bottle when Barinet arrived, and the chill of it in my hand has me tempted. I pop the cork demonstratively, and pour two glasses — one for Barinet and the other for myself. Then I sidle up next to Parfait on the bed, and wrap my arm around her shoulder. I kiss her cheek tenderly, and let the girls enjoy themselves.

Perhaps, in the interest of letting Parfait celebrate her first day of freedom, I'll let her take a small sip of the bubbly. Not enough to endanger the child inside her — just enough to taste in the pleasures this new world has to offer her.

Then later, when Barinet has explored Parfait to her heart's content, I'll join in.
  • It may have been a turn of phrase that alarmed Parfait, but after nearly half an hour of being feasted upon before you join in, Parfait is much more comfortable with the idea. Not content to lie there like a fish, Parfait overpowers Barinet at one point, then tickles her, then demonstrates her own understanding of coupling, which receives no complains.

There is a pause in the play as you all share glasses of champagne. Parfait giggles into her goblet as she drinks small sips, savoring the taste, knowing it will be a rare treat. Then Barinet pulls you down with both of them and they take turns kissing and cuddling with each other and you.

I'm curious, Jack. Do you frak Barinet? Do you offer her the earbuds?
  • I did in fact offer Barinet the earbuds — I pitched it to her as a part of "the experience." I may have also mentioned that it keeps me out of her truly private parts, and protects her from any wires getting accidentally crossed in the heat of passion — which can sometimes be painful. Honesty is probably the best policy here.

If she either accepts the earbuds, or the risks, then I will "frak" her — as you so delightfully put it.
  • Barinet's flexible, and while she's not "into you" as much as she's attracted to Parfait, she's very interested in having some good fun with both of you. Plus, she's gone through a dry spell after Kiddo, and is quite interested in "the experience" as you pitch it.

Who wears out first, Jack?

Was there anything you end up regretting in the morning?
  • Regret is such a strong word... It was certainly an interesting experience sharing each other with our guest, but I fear Barinet may have binged on us — she was weak in the knees, and too tired to even stumble back to her own bed, just down the hall. She passed out beside Parfait, opposite me, clinging to her. Letting her sleep with us, that may have been a bit too much. Parfait does not yet fully understand the line between sex and intimacy; and I fear if she does not set the appropriate boundary, Barinet may become too attached.

Also, drinking half a bottle of champagne is much more difficult when you don't normally drink fine wines. I feel like I should do whatever Parfait wishes to do today... Perhaps there is something she'd like to see. I rouse her with a kiss.
  • Parfait's eyes flutter open with the kiss, and she grins at you. She glances down at Barinet, then whispers, "That was really fun. She is good at frakking. Did you watch? I want you to learn those things. For later."

For a few moments, Parfait looks at Barinet, looking all along her body. She asks you in that same whisper, "Do you like the ink on her? Is that pretty to you? Why does she shave her body?"
  • I find it amusing she presumes I don't know those things. I smile back, and nod along — playing dumb for the moment, so I can surprise her later. I follow her gaze down to Barinet, and appraise her tattoos — I frown, and whisper back, "I'm not much one for body modification, my dear... Her tattoos are certainly very artistic, but there is something to be said for the human form — there is a beauty in a pure body, unmarked by the ideas of others, or covered forever for fear of seeming naked for what you truly are."

I kiss her tenderly, and continue, "You have nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, and you do not need to wear the art and ideas of others to enhance your beauty — but if it is something you wish for yourself, I'm sure it would not hide your beauty."

I look down and notice Barinet is clean-shaven, "women in the flats tend to remove most, if not all, body hair — it symbolizes cleanliness and youth. I've heard it helps with pleasure during intimacy. Your mileage may vary, but I happen to find it quite attractive."
  • Parfait grins up at you for a moment, listening and thinking. Then she playfully slaps and tickles Barinet awake, "Get up, Barinet," she says in a lilting tone with a voice that might be good for singing.

Barinet murmurs something unintelligible, tries to roll away. Parfait shakes her a little rougher, not hard, mind you, just insistent. Then Parfait says low, "Bar-i-net, wake uuup. I want you to shave me."

That gets her attention. Barinet smacks her lips a couple times, then says, "Now?"

"Uh huh. Come on, get up, I want to be clean and young. Get up, get up!" she begins pulling Barinet to a sitting position. She leans in to nibble at Barinet's ear and neck, just like you did last night for her.

"I need to pee," Barinet says as she looks towards the floor for her clothes.

As you know, this hostel has a shared bathroom for each level, so she will need to walk into the hall to get there. Parfait is pretty excited, so she pulls Barinet up and starts hustling her towards the door.

What do you do?
  • I sleepily call back to Parfait, "shouldn't you slip into your dress first, my dear? Spare the neighbors from excitement? Shaving is a delicate affair..."
  • Parfait snickers and lets Barinet throw on clothes while she puts on her dress, then they disappear together.

Half an hour later, the door opens again and a scowling Parfait walks in, stepping gingerly. She closes the door and says, "I want to go now, Jack. I want to go to the market. Can we go see the people in the market and listen to Junk Radio... live?"
  • I've dressed and groomed myself by the time Parfait returns. I chuckle to myself at her exaggerated steps to alleviate her discomfort. I rise up to meet her, and embrace her. "We absolutely can, my dear. Are you comfortable enough to walk the thoroughfare?"

I presume it doesn't matter to her how uncomfortable she is, but I figure I should ask. If she insists on leaving now, I suppose I can do just that.
  • Parfait nods, ready to go. But it will take her a bit to get comfortable with the "new look".

Let's skip ahead, yeah? Please go here.