[Junk XIII] Make it Rain (K 7-1, P 7-1, S 7-1)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
It's been a couple months. The temperature has dropped rapidly, and it is late fall. The rains are cold, and the people living in the tent city outside are miserable. Tensions continue to grow between the "haves", those who live inside the Ascendant, and the "have nots", those in The Bay and outside. It's only a matter of time.

Somewhere near the fourth transit (~4 AM on Earth) you're awoken by a series of explosions inside the Ascendant, three of them in rapid succession. The floor, the walls, the ceiling, all shook from the blast, which reverberated everywhere. The lights flickered off just moments ago...

Kiddo, Hump slept through the whole damn thing. Your mom fell asleep in Ollie's room, again. She's spent most nights in the extra bed beside him, just being near him. VB woke screaming, this really set her off. She's covered in sweat right now, still screaming, clutching to you in the dark. You're not quite clear if she knows it's you, she's calling you "lime". This must be triggering her accident, because she never does this, right? When was the last time she lost it like this, Kiddo? How did you help her then?

Proper, you're in your normal nightly routine, sleeping with Tulle in your arms. Did you two frak tonight? She smells like other men, two of them, in fact. She was really worn, and a little sore. How are things with Janco lately? She's come around a few times, hasn't she? Who among your crew is in the infirmary right now, Proper, and for what? Tulle sits bolt upright, then once the rumbling stops, she's up, trying to find a light or something, which is how you knew the power is off. Even the air.

Stitch, you were asleep when it happened, Amelia lying between you and Metro. She's shivering and whimpering in fear, Metro hopped up instantly, he's patching into the systems to see what's wrong. I assume you've got Amelia in your arms, right? Where has Svenja been staying? Still with the Candies, right? Do you let her in the infirmary, even though she's a risk? What have you told her about a cure for her mental triggers from the iso process?

What do you do?
«1

Comments

  • I almost jumped out of bed for the boomstick when I heard the explosions, but Vee's grip kept me in place. I squeeze her back, and calmly whisper into hear ear, "It's OK, honeybee — Momma's here." I'm holding her tightly, like I did when we were stuck in that collapsing Junkship a few months before I found out about Ma'. I gently rock her for a few minutes, brushing her hair, and sing her favorite lullaby: Baby Mine.
  • [Proper]
    Nah, we didn't frak. She was tired, so I didn't push it. Janco came to visit me on her lunch break- things with her have been ok. She gave Tulle a weird look in the cafeteria once, but I wasn't there, so who knows what that was about. Satin's in the infirmary- she had a real bad fever with chills and everything. I'm worried about her, but I'm more worried about making up her jingle if she won't be back for a while. I've thought about asking Toot to come on- that girl can frak. I've danced around it a bit, I want to be delicate, yeah?

    I'm not out of bed so fast. "What the frak was that?" I blink my eyes a few times.

    [Stitch]
    I've got Amelia- Metro has been helping her work some of the damage that was done to her out, but it's been dragging old stuff up for her and she's been having nightmares. Svenja is still with the Candies as far as I know. I'm frustrated by the lack of progress on getting her triggers cleared out- I took care of mine on accident in a few minutes. I let her in the infirmary, but I almost always try to make sure I'm there, as well. I won't use the phrase if I can help it, but if she snaps, I hope that maybe that can stop her. I've just been so damn busy. So many sick people. Figuring out the water, training new nurses and orderlies. Trying to take care of Amelia and her friends. Spending what little free time I have with Metro. I sent a message to Cee in Boomtown, but he hasn't come to the Ascendant yet. Maybe he won't. Maybe he's mad at me or happy where he is. It's not like I have a 'cure' yet anyway. I feel like I'm nearly there, though. I'll have to open up one of the occupied iso-cubes, which means I probably should tell Nezzy about them all. I've been dragging my feet on that- I'm afraid they'll be deemed threats and killed as they wake up. I'm dead tired all the time. Sleep deprived, maybe even malnourished. Janco seems to be doing better- I'm happy for her. I talked to Metro about going to one of Proper's shows, but we just haven't had the time.

    "What's happened?" I ask Metro quietly, trying to not let the fear bleed into my voice.
  • Kiddo,

    VB wails as you soothe her, "I don't have a Momma. I don't have a Momma. I don't..." It fades when you sing to her. She grows quiet, and near the end, she hums lightly with you. The panting subsides, and after you finish, she whispers, "S-sorry, Kiddo. Holy frak, what's going on?"

    "No shit, sis," Hump says sleepily. "Did you punch out Nescafe or something?"

    Proper,

    "I dunno... did we pay up on the rent?" Tulle says. After a few moments, a flashlight flickers on, illuminating her face. She shines it at you, then away from your face. She pads over to hand the light to you. "Do you have a gun? Drek could go down bad.... you think we can even open the door?"


    Stitch,

    Metro's face is lit by the small display access panel. "The explosions were on lower decks... it looks like the filtration deck. Ah, I see the problem! Someone rewired the battery back-ups, so they didn't click over. Nescafe's crew again. Damn their eyes." He looks over at you, "I... Stitch, I can bring the power back up in about thirteen minutes, but I would need to leave you."
  • No, but I should have. I'm not liking this... Especially the fact that there's no power. I give Vee a kiss, and shuffle over to my bag — which has gradually been moving further and further from the bed these past few months. I slip into a pair of yoga pants I picked up recently with a big Ω on them.

    They are so. frakking. comfy. You don't even know — and they make my ass look fantastic! Vee says so.

    ... Focus Kiddo ...

    So I grab my boomstick, and hook up my holster to my leg. It's been a while since I've needed to load out. I slip my pack back into the cabinet, and make my way over to the door, slipping the manual release on it. "Hump, Gramma's gun is in the closet. Can you keep an eye on things here? I'm going to go down to the infirmary and check up on things. Hon, grab your pistol and come with me."
  • [Proper]
    I give Tulle a look. "Of course I paid rent. I was bitching about it the other night." I take the flashlight. I dig into the nightstand and hand her a small pistol- it's got ten shots in it if we're lucky. I take the shears for myself.

    "Yeah." I say, trying to figure out how to open the door. "Pretty dumb place if the doors won't open when the power goes out. See if you can hear if Chiffon and Velvet are ok- they're on that side." Their room shares a wall with me. I've never heard anything through the walls, but maybe. I gotta get to my crew.

    [Stitch]
    I nod at him, not letting go of Amelia. "Would we be safer here, or in the infirmary?" I ask. The coward in me immediately thinks of the psych room- it wasn't made to keep people out, but it's something.

    I don't tell him it may be better if he's not there- if it comes to a firefight, he'd have to get in the middle, and who knows what would happen then. I can't fix him like I can people.

    I hug Amelia and get up to pull some proper clothes on. I wrap her in a robe and slippers- my shoes are too big for her. I slip my stun gun into my pants waist.
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    Tulle snickers when you comment on the doors. Of course, they open right up. Chiffon is already in the hall. Tooheys is there, too, burning a match for light.

    "Velvet's not here, Proper." Chiffon says.

    "Satin is in the infirmary," Velour says, coming out of nowhere. She doesn't have a light source, she's joining Chiffon, who has an oil lantern. It's stinky.

    What do you do?

    Stitch,

    "Infirmary, definitely." Metro says quickly, "Back-up power is still functioning there. Plus, Rinso is there, he can help protect the place. Omo, too, to a lesser degree."

    Metro kisses you, then moves to peck Amelia on the head, but she clutches to you and shies away. Does she know about Metro?
  • [Proper]
    I look at Tooheys. "Where's Silk?" Velvet I'd like to have with me, but he may fare better on his own. We should see if we can find Braun, then Silk, unless she's in one of the private rooms. Then maybe to the infirmary for Satin.

    I look up and down the hall.

    [Stitch]
    "Ok." I respond to him. I'm glad my room isn't far. I kiss him back, not as desperately as I'd like.

    Amelia doesn't know about Metro, but she probably knows he's different. If he takes the glove off in front of her then she's seen his barcode.

    "I love you." I tell him as we leave. Just in case.

    I have to get to my patients.
  • Proper,

    Tooheys answers, "She's staying in the room!" Then, she asks, "You want me to drag her out here? She's sort of baked."

    You catch up with Braun near the end of the hall. He was asleep in one of the color rooms. Do you let him stay with Satin normally, or is he expected to find his own place to sleep?

    Bacardi and Barilla are in the bar, they reside right beside it. They're protecting the liquor and food. Bacardi yells out, "Proper! You and yours alright?"

    Stitch,

    Metro answers back, "I love you, too, Stitch. Be safe."

    You make your way through the dim halls of the officer's quarters into the well-lit halls of the infirmary and brig. The light is slightly off, coming from battery back-up units and tracking lighting in the floor, but you can easily see.

    Zero is in the hall right outside Ollie's room. Rinso is chatting with her, he has a pistol. Omo is coming out of the brig, where she's been sleeping. So does that raider guy, Costco. Lots of confusion. You haven't seen Janco, yet. Weetabix doesn't sleep here, which means she may be out there in the dark. Patients are nervous, some yelling for help, some crying. You have eight patients right now, including Ollie.

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    Kiddo,

    "Keep an eye on things here? When you guys are going to check on Mom and Dad? You're frakking kidding me! Hump says as he moves over to fetch Jemma's gun. "No. No way. We lock the door, I'm comin with."

    VB, who was sleeping in the nude, and is just now coming down enough to realize your little brother got a peep show, turns her back to Hump and throws on some clothes, too. She crawls under the bed to fetch her little pistol, flicks on the laser sight, then starts putting on "the leg", "We should bring him, Momma. If this place is going down, no need to climb up six flights of stairs. You got any way to reach out to the Candies?"

    They're ready to go. Hump wants to lead the way, do you let him?
  • [Proper]
    Braun can stay with Satin for all I care, though if Velour isn't happy about it I'll try to come up with an arrangement she can live with.

    "Yeah, everybody seems ok. We might head up to the infirmary for Satin." I tell Bacardi and Barilla. "You guys ok here?"

    I stalk back to Silk's room. I'll be damned if I lose my star frakking attraction because she's too baked to move. "Either you're coming or you're not, but I can't protect you if you stay." I say once her door opens. I'll give her a few moments to get up and moving, but if she stays here, I'll leave.
  • I guess they're right. I really doubt the Ascendant is going down, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have Hump along. The Candies are just one level down... Presuming they're all home. I nod to them both, and break out the maglite.

    "Alright. Just don't stray – I don't wanna get separated."
  • Kiddo,

    Hump gives you a raised eyebrow, saying without words Do you really think I'm that dumb? But he nods and pushes the door open.

    VB trots ahead, calling back, "Lift's down for sure." You head for the stairs. There is a bunch of noise coming up from the stairs, people yelling at each other, some calling for help.

    Do you stop a deck below or head down to the infirmary?
  • Might as well see if the Candies need anything first... For the moment, the idea is to ignore the calls for help – it's not like there's much I can do for them now... But with a few Candies to help out? Different story.
  • Kiddo,

    You come into Deck 13, run into Chunky and Whopper, they're both dressed and armed. Mamba literally pushing them out the door. Whopper's saying, "Back the frak off, Mamba. We're goin, we're goin! You think I don't wanna bust heads?"

    Mamba sees you, then says, "Kiddo, we're going down, make sure The Bay doesn't blow up."
  • The Bay's in a lot of shit, I'd imagine... If this place blows, we're all in a frakload of trouble. I look over her shoulder, "Anyone else in there? Or are they all down in the bay? Folks are crying out for help on the stairs... I'm on my way to the infirmary to help however I can."
  • edited December 2013
    Kiddo,

    Mamba motions you to head on back to the lift. She's pulling the doors closed and locking it with a padlock, "Star took most of the girls down already. I just rounded these bitches up and I'm locking up. You want me to send anyone with you to the infirmary?"
  • I shake my head, "The lifts are down, sweetie — we came from the stairs. I won't turn down the extra hands, though — if this place is going down, then we'll need as many people as you can spare to move the people who can't walk."
  • Kiddo,

    Mamba says, "Chunk, follow Kiddo's lead. Keep an eye out for Zero and Omo, alright? And ESPECIALLY Ab n Zab. Stay sharp!"

    Chunky nods. She has her army helmet on, it's too big, so she's holding it up a little. The girl is VB-sized, but she wears a thick army jacket and a flak vest, big combat boots. They're not laced right.

    On the way up, VB looks at you, then back down towards Chunky, and rolls her eyes.
  • One pair of hands, connected to a girl who can't be arsed to lace her boots so she won't trip over them... Generous.

    I wave for Chunky to follow us, and make my way back to the stairs. I whisper to Vee as we descend, "She's better than nothing."
  • edited December 2013
    Kiddo,

    VB shrugs, "Bullet sponge," then she starts moving quick ahead of you, her little laser sight cutting through the darkness.

    When you hit the landing for the tenth deck, the door to the interior busts open and a couple guys spill out, like one shoved the other into the door and it opened on him. The blonde guy who went through the door first, he's new. You've seen him around The Bay a couple times, once at Chef's. Not sure how he ended up inside. The guy who tossed him in is Chipotle. He pronounces it Chih-pot-tell. He's a member of Nescafe's engineering crew.

    Chipotle is about to kick the guy and proceed to give him a beatdown. Neither have weapons out. VB has a gun on them, but she hasn't said anything. Chunky is about to pull up her rifle. You've heard the rumors about her itchy trigger finger. Hump's moved in front of you, a couple steps below you, trying to block you from them, but mostly your belly.

    What do you do?
  • We don't have time for this. I grab Hump and tell him to keep Chunky calm, then I raise the boomstick up and fire it into the wall. "Hey! You two keep it frakking civil, or I'm lock you both down!"
  • Kiddo,

    Are you Going Aggro or just Manipulating them to chill the frak out?
  • If someone's going to keep fighting, I'll put them down — plain and simple.

    OOC: Go Aggro, I would imagine. Roll+Cool. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 7)
  • edited December 2013
    Blondie puts hands up. He wants no trouble.

    Chipotle steps back, but he says, "This guy, he's one o them, Kiddo." He's out of the way, you can head on.
  • OOC: Reading Blondie. Roll+Sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 2. Total: 7)
  • edited December 2013
    OOC: oops. I meant to ask the accuser whether he was telling the truth... So: Is Chipotle telling the truth?
  • Kiddo,

    Chipotle is telling the truth, as far as what he's seen. He thinks Blondie is one of a group of folks who sabotaged the place.
  • I point the gun down at Blondie and don't miss a beat, "On your feet, sweetie. If you co-operate, you'll survive this." I'm bringing him down to the infirmary level, and locking him up in the brig.
  • Kiddo,

    Chipotle hesitates, "Listen, I'm heading down to where those bombs went off. I chased this asshole up to here. If you got him, you mind if I leave him to ya? I gotta help Nescafe and my guys. It's a frakkin mess."
  • I nod back to Chipotle, "get us stable again, and quick!"
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    When you ask if he and Barilla are ok, Bacardi calls back, "Yeah, we're fine. Just don't sneak up on me, don't want to spray any of y'all's pretty blood across my nice bar!"

    Chiffon asks you, "Should any of the girls stay here with them?" You note he's assuming he's with you.

    Velour says, "What? Aint no way you're leaving ME behind. Braun, get your ass up here. Prop, leave skinny bitch (Tooheys) and dope fiend (Silk) if you want, but Ima check on my girl Satin."

    What do you do?
  • Kiddo,

    Chipotle doesn't respond, he just heads back down the stairs at a run, shining a flashlight ahead of him.

    Hump grabs Blondie and makes him walk ahead of you. He isn't saying anything. You reach the Infirmary level a few minutes later.

    Let's wait for Stitch here...
  • edited December 2013
    [Stitch]
    I gather all the folks that aren't patients in the Entry/Triage area.

    "Ok. We're not exactly sure what we're dealing with here- explosions of some kind." I'm using my best leader voice. "I'm not sure yet if we'll have to evacuate, so I want all our patients prepped to leave if we need to. In the meantime lets get everyone in the aft recovery room. Has anyone seen Janco or Weetabix?"

    I get busy prepping patients to move them. It's not ideal- I don't have wheelchairs for everyone, but we don't have much choice right now. Some of them can probably walk- I might have to hold up IV bags. I wonder where the escape pods are on this ship- I'm not sure how well they'd work on the planet, but it's an option to keep in mind. I show no panic and squeeze hands and reassure patients. Everything will be fine. Don't worry.

    I kneel down and hold Amelia's arms in my hands. "It's going to be ok. I need to help the patients. If you're up for it, I could use your help, but otherwise you can sit tight in the recovery room." I want her to be strong, but it's not my place to force her.

    In a spare moment, I type into a terminal:

    M- I'm prepping patients to move, just in case.
    Janco & Weetabix aren't here yet.
    Please be careful.


    I can't spare time to go find them- I wish I could, but my patients need my help.
  • [Proper]

    "Anybody who wants to stay here with Bacardi and Barilla can- it may be safer, but I don't know. I'm going up to the infirmary. B & B- keep an eye out for Velvet, yeah?"

    My gaze flicks back to Tulle. I'm torn- if she stayed here she might be safer, but I don't want to leave her.
  • Stitch,

    You get the patients organized with Rinso, Zero and Omo's help. What do you do with that Costco guy? He volunteers to carry someone, if you want.

    There are a few people coming into the infirmary right now with injuries from falls or fights, mostly first aid stuff. One guy, named Cadets, he tells you The Bay is one big riot, just short of guns coming out, some fires have been started, first for light, now they're out of control.

    Amelia asks quietly in response, "What about my... my friends in the tunnels?" As you're answering her, you see Kiddo come into the infirmary.

    Kiddo,

    You run into Stitch as she has the infirmary moving. Zero spots you first, and Hump runs up to her, hugging her fiercely. Zero's standing by your dad's bed, which she's wheeled out into the hallway. There are a number of folks in wheelchairs now, everyone is nervous, all worked up, lots of questions, fearful faces.
  • edited December 2013
    [Stitch]

    My brows furrow with concern. "I don't know about them. I want to help them, but I have to take care of these people here." My heart breaks for this girl. "They may come here..." I nearly suggest she goes looking for them. She knows the ducts and tunnels here- if anyone could move around unseen, it'd be her. But I don't want her to go.

    If Costco will carry someone, that's fine by me.

    I'm not surprised about the Bay- it's been getting overcrowded and panic would break out fast with an explosion. I check out the people filing into the infirmary with a quick once-over. Cuts get taped. We do the fast and dirty triage. The ones who aren't hurt too bad are handed emergency kits and told to help out.

    I'm trying to keep everyone working- we'll get done faster and it's better if they have something to concentrate on.

    OOC: Read a sitch incoming.
  • OOC: Read a sitch. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 15)
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    Nobody elects to stay. Braun says, "C'mon, Prop, let's go get Satin." Tulle slides in behind you, Proper.

    Tooheys comes up from the rooms and says, "Chiffon, or Braun, or somebody... can one of you help me carry Silk? I can't leave her!" Silk never did come out of her room for you, Proper.

    What do you do?
  • I run up to mom and give her a quick hug, "Lifts are down, there's no way we can get him out in that bed — but that's not going to matter, because we're going to stop this before we need to evacuate."
  • Kiddo,

    Zero asks, "What're you gonna do?"
  • [Proper]

    I give Tulle a smile. A tiny voice tells me I could slip away with her, ditch my crew. We could go somewhere else- anywhere. Just the two of us.

    When Too comes out, I give Braun a pleading look- she's the star of my damn show. If he won't carry her, I'll end up throwing her over my shoulder.
  • ... I hadn't thought that far ahead, but I've got leads. I point over to Blondie, who Vee's got at gunpoint, and answer, "this is Blondie. He was last seen with the people who attacked the lower decks. I'm going to question him, and if I can get the information I need, then I'm going to get the Candies and shut this all down so Nescafe can get us up and running again."
  • [Stitch]

    OOC: What's my best course of action here? (1/3)
  • Proper,

    Braun nods, and heads back to fetch her. Tooheys goes with him. A couple tense moments pass. Tulle slides a hand along your back, you can feel her body right up on you. Chiffon is shining his stinky lantern around, Velour complains about it.

    Then the door to Chef's opens suddenly. Five guys come walking in, you've never seen them on a show night, but you've seen them here before.

    Bacardi yells at them, "We've got a drekload of guns in here, Slimjim. What the hell are you boys doing here?"

    It's pretty obvious to you what they're here for. A fight is about to break out.

    What do you do?
  • Kiddo,

    Zero looks over to Blondie. But Blondie, he's looking at Costco. Costco just noticed Blondie, and he's walking over fast, holding up an accusing finger, "Bi-lo, what the frak are you doing here?!?"

    Stitch,

    Sit tight. The thirteen minutes just expired. Metro will come through.
  • My jaw drops when Costco recognizes Blondie, "he's with the frakking water cult?" I run over with the boomstick — more questions are due. "You'd better start talking, Bi-lo, or I'm gunna put you in a world of hurt."
  • Feels like you're Going Aggro, Kiddo. Let's see dice.
  • OOC: Going Aggro. Roll+Cool*. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 15)
  • Kiddo,

    He crumbles when you threaten him, almost looking thankful. "They wanted us to do it, they made us. We couldn't say no. We're beholden! I couldn't stop myself." He's shaking now, like each word hurt to say. You see his nose start to bleed suddenly, large drops. He looks pale, sweat forming on his brow and upper lip.

    Rinso moves forward with Costco and they catch him as he faints.

    What do you do?
  • ...

    I've seen shit like this before. This is not good. I look to Rinso and Costco in turn, with a serious look on my face. "Lock him the frak up. If he wakes up, find out exactly what they did, and what they plan to do next."

    I turn to Ma' and Vee, "I really doubt they're out to kill us... If I had to guess, they're after our water supply. They probably want us to go begging to them for drinking water. We need to secure the lower levels, ASAP."

    Where's Chunky? "Chunk? I need you to get all the Candies down there, now!"
  • All,

    Suddenly, main power is restored.

    Lights flicker back on, the air filtration system is still dead, though.
  • Kiddo,

    Chunky nods and takes off for the lift. Rinso throws the guy over his shoulder and carries him off, Costco walking behind like he is trying to help, but you know, what exactly can he do now?

    Stitch and Kiddo,

    The intercom in the infirmary starts broadcasting. It's Metro's voice, "Stitch, main power is running on back-up now. You should continue to secure the patients, for their safety. The water treatment plant on lower decks has been destroyed. Air filtration also took damage, and is offline. Nescafe's crew is trying to get through the flooded level to repair the air scrubbers. It will take some time. From my limited access to security cameras, I see fighting in The Bay, outside, and some smaller conflicts in decks three, nine and eleven."

    What do you do?
  • ... Ok... Scratch that. I call back for Chunky, "Nevermind, Chunk! Get down to the bay and stop the fighting! We'll handle things here!"

    What the frak can I do? The Candies will handle the bigger conflicts, but I need to know which conflicts matter, and which ones are just scrapes. "Stitch, can you ask Metro where we need to be? Can I be more useful somewhere else?"
  • [Proper]

    I whip my head around and whisper "Get behind cover!" to my people. If Bacardi's got guns, he's gonna use 'em on these assholes. I don't want to be in the middle of it.

    [Stitch]

    OOC: Where will Kiddo be most effective? (2/3)

    I nod at Kiddo and return to the terminal- not knowing if Metro can even hear me. "Where should Kiddo be? She sent the Candies to the bay."
  • edited December 2013
    Kiddo and Stitch,

    Metro answers, "du and Santi are leading their gang in a sweep of nine and eleven. Nezzy and a few others are holding off the six men on deck three. The Bay is where things have erupted." There's a pause, then "I would recommend you get down there with a med team. There are numerous injuries."
  • [Stitch]

    "Any sign of Janco or Weetabix? I don't know where their rooms are." I ask him.
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    When the lights come back on, you're able to see Slimjim and his buddies. They relax, try to play it off like they weren't going to attack. As you order your folks behind cover, Bacardi just opens up, "Frak you thieving assholes!"

    Of course, these five guys out-number him. This could get really messy, and then what happens to your crew?

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    Stitch,

    Metro replies, "Both of them are down in The Bay, trying to help the injured and the dying. Janco is in trouble... I'm trying to raise the Candies."
  • [Stitch]

    Fuck. Of course they are. I round up Rinso and Kiddo. "Sounds like the bay is the place to be. Anyone want to come with?" I grab my med-pack, along with as many emergency kits I can carry. If the lift is working, I'll take that down to a level or so above the bay, then maybe take the stairs down.

    [Proper]

    OOC: Read a sitch incoming.
  • [Proper]

    OOC: Read a sitch. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 6. Total: 9)
  • [Proper]

    OOC: What should I be on the lookout for?
  • Normally I'd be pumped to go down there and crack some heads... But I'm not an idiot – I've got a baby to think of. If the best thing to be doing is helping the wounded, then I'm not going to wander off looking for trouble. "I'll cover you. Vee, hon – Hump? Do you want to help out with Dad, keeping things safe here?"
  • edited December 2013
    Stitch and Kiddo,

    Rinso says, "Bi-lo is locked up, I'm heading down with you, Stitch." He's picked up a pipe, which seems to be his only weapon now. He doesn't have any body armor, just a t-shirt and jeans, but he's ready to go. He adds, "Let me bring Costco, yeah?"

    Omo says, "I'll stay here with my babies and the patients. If anyone comes in hurt, I'll do what I can."

    VB looks at you, Kiddo, "You should stay, Kiddo..."

    Zero cuts in with, "Frak no, she isn't staying! There are frakking Candies in The Bay, we are going, baby or no. Hump, watch your dad. Ollie, don't let him run off. Vee, come or go, your call." VB blinks, then falls in line. You know Chunky's heading down, too.

    Looks like you've got your little gang. Anything else before you go?
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    Bacardi opens up with a spray of fire from his little uzi. He tags a guy beside Slimjim, who drops with a look of shock on his face.

    Proper, your people are actually behind these thieves. You can catch them in a crossfire and make short work of them, or you can leave Bacardi and Barilla to fend for themselves and head on.

    You should keep an eye out for these guys trying to rush your girls and use their as shields or hostages to get out.
  • I'm not sure why Ma' is so intent on me going to help the Candies... I'm not a frakking Candy Bar. They can handle themselves. Star has proven that these past few months. I guess I'm just a little bitter that she shut Vee down like that. I give Ma' an annoyed look, and slip Vee a kiss, "I'll be careful hon. Keep my Dad safe, yeah?"
  • Kiddo,

    VB glares at Zero, then to you, "Hump can watch Ollie. I've got your back, Kiddo."
    -------------------------------------

    Kiddo and Stitch,

    You ride the lift down to a couple levels above The Bay. Your group is Stitch, Kiddo, VB, Rinso, Costco, Chunky and Zero. Only Costco doesn't have a weapon. Zero hands Rinso her back-up piece, which is a snub-nosed revolver he stuffs in the pocket of his jeans.

    The quick walk from the lift to the stairs is punctuated with the sounds of people yelling in anger and screaming in pain an danguish, a swirling mass of people below you. It's chaos. Gunfire, quick rips of it from automatic weapons, reverberate in the stairwell.

    You move quick down the stairs, but the level of The Bay is blocked by racks hastily thrown in the way. One of Santiba's gangers, a big, dark-skinned guy named Bumbo, has his back to the racks, and he's aiming his AK-97 towards people in The Bay. It looks like he's holding the line.

    There's a dead girl, Cadets, Santi's niece, dead at his feet, she must have fallen in one of the attacks. There are other people near Bumbo, on the floor, dead and dying. Five of them.

    As you know, there is a short set of stairs to the stairwell, and Bumbo's set up a killing zone for anyone who is trying to get into the Ascendant.

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I see Rinso's still careless with safeties — he had better not blow his dick off, I was just getting used to the idea of having it around again. I hop in the lift with everyone, and hit the button for Stitch down to a level or two above the Bay. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I hadn't...

    My hand is to my mouth, holding in a breath, when the scene comes into full view. I've seen a lot of blood in my day, but never all at once like this. I look to Stitch, horrified, and slowly bring the boomstick into the ready position.

    This is not good. We need to restore order. We need to stop killing these people. I run up to the racks, and call out, "Bumbo! Let us in! We need to calm these people down! We need to treat the wounded!"
  • Kiddo and Stitch,

    Bumbo glances back, sees you, then turns back around, yelling his response, "You oughta stay in. I got orders to keep folks out, nobody new gets in here! Nescafe says there's sabotears or some drek. Mutha-frakkers that blowed up our ship! Ima keep folks inna Bay. You want through, crawl through, but if you want back, you gotta come through me! The Lift is down on this level, Kiddo!"
  • Shit... I can't stop this fighting, and running in there while the battle's raging won't do anything. I turn to Stitch, "Sweetie — how did Metro talk to us back up in the infirmary? Could he let me talk to the people in the Bay the same way?"
  • [Stitch]

    "I'm not sure, hang on." I look for a terminal- maybe I can figure it out.

    [Proper]

    "Cover me?" I ask Tulle with a dumb grin on my face. "Everybody who's not armed go find cover- these guys might try to grab one of you."

    I wait for a pause in Bacardi's gunfire and I rush SlimJim with my shears.
  • Stitch,

    Sure, you can find a terminal, and operate the intercoms. Its not that complex, for a spacefolk like you.

    Proper,

    The entire crew pulls out a small arsenal of weapons, mostly knives and small hold-out pistols. Tooheys has a frickin cleaver.

    If you want to make your move on Slimjim, tell me what you want to do. Scare him off? Slice him up?
  • [Stitch]

    The interface of the terminal comes back like muscle memory- I surprise myself a little. I get the intercom to the who ship up. "All yours." I tell Kiddo as I step aside.

    When she turns to address the folks, I slip into the background of our little group, and give Bumbo a wan smile as I crawl through his barricade. I have to find Janco.

    [Proper]

    I want SlimJim's attention focused on me. I'd like to gain control of this situation, but for the purpose of scaring them off.

    "Oi." I sidle up behind SlimJim- though still a good distance away- picking at my fingernails with my wicked looking shears. "Seems to me you thought you had this little situation under control. You'd be fighting folk who wouldn't see you coming. People maybe you think can't defend themselves." I give him my most predatory look- the one I gave Tum Tum before I killed him.

    After a moment, the showman's flashy smile comes back. "But we're all reasonable here! How about you leave, and we don't make some new holes in your bodies?"
  • Proper,

    Let's see you Go Aggro with that!
  • OOC: Go Aggro on SlimJim. Roll+hot (devil with a blade). +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 7)
  • edited December 2013
    Stitch,

    Like he said, Bumbo lets you through. Rinso's staying with Kiddo, VB, too. But Chunky and Zero are with you, at least for a bit until they see some Candies.

    There are barrel fires turned over, burning tents, people running, some screaming, dead bodies, wounded people moaning in pain.

    When you go into a place of chaos in search of a specific person or thing, roll+Sharp.
    On a Hit, you find them. On a 7-9, choose one to be true. On a 10+, choose two. On a 12+, all are true, and you find something more (MC to detail)

    * You keep your group together during the search (i.e. you aren't alone)
    * The person or thing is relatively safe (for the moment)
    * Nobody else has an eye on them

    On a miss, you either cannot find them, or they are in a bad spot.
  • Proper,

    Slimjim sees you, Tulle right behind you with her little garrote (yes, really), Tooheys with her hatchet, even Chiffon with his little pistol, and he just takes off. His buddies run after him, they're outnumbered and slightly turned on and mostly scared of all dying.

    Barilla lets out a long breath of relief. Bacardi says, "Proper, thanks! We're a good team, me and you."

    What do you do?
  • [Stitch]
    OOC: Looking for Janco. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 9)
  • [Stitch]

    OOC: Nobody else has an eye on Janco.

    [Proper]

    As soon as SlimJim and his buddies are gone, I exhale, smiling. Well that worked out ok. I'm impressed with Tulle's weapon- I didn't know she had it in her! I wink at her.

    "Come on. Let's find Braun & Silk and get the frak to the infirmary."
  • I make my way over to the intercom, and hurriedly start spilling the situation to the whole hold. "Nezzy? Everyone? This is Kiddo. We've captured one of the people responsible for the explosions — he's revealed that he's from a small group of people to the west who are beholden to a cult. They're trying to get us to drink tainted water from their lake, and they've blown up our water supplies. If we keep fighting like this, the whole situation will only get worse — I need everyone to lay down their arms, and help with the effort to save our clean water!"
  • Hrm, wow, that's a tough sell.

    I think it's a Manipulate, and here's how it will work. On a 7-9, you convince the folks inside the Ascendant to lay down arms (minus any Beholden, of course) and work together. On a 10+, the fighting in The Bay calms down for a bit.
  • OOC: Manipulating the crowd. roll+cool*. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • (That's advanced, for what that's worth)
  • OOC: Given the spirit of an Advanced Manipulate changes the threat-type of the NPC to one of the options in the list — I'd like to propose that Kiddo's manipulating the hold to change their threat type from "sow discontent and preserve self interests" to "work together, and save the hold." — which is similar to the "Ally: Right hand (impulse: to follow through on your intentions)" option.
  • ALL

    Kiddo's voice comes over the intercom throughout the ship, from the Garden to the underground decks and out through The Bay. People all over pull back, stop fighting, and just break off into smaller groups, people they know and trust. Sure, there's some people talking drek, but the thought of no water, that's enough to shut them up.

    Days walking to the next town, no water. That's a terrifying thought. Being forced to drink tainted water from some terrorists, that's just as horrible.
  • edited December 2013
    Proper,

    Braun shows up with Silk over his shoulder, and with the power on, you end up taking the lift to the infirmary. There's a woman there watching over people, and some teenage kid with a pistol, but no Janco. Satin is in a bed that was wheeled out into the hall, nobody has moved her back yet.

    When she sees you, she says weakly, "Holy frak, Prop! Never been so happy to see you guys!" Chiffon moves around to push her back into her room.

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    Stitch,

    You head down into The Bay with Chunky and Zero, but both of them peel off when they spot Star and Whopper in a fight with a couple of guys.

    Kiddo's speech comes over the speakers as you continue looking for Janco. Finally, near the back wall by the entrance to Santi and du's flats, you find her. She's covered in blood, doesn't seem to be her own, all of it on her hands. She's got four people in a line, like she's already worked on them and is on the fifth. She's putting pressure on a neck wound on an older man, evidently he was shot, maybe stabbed, hard to tell right now. He's bleeding out, she's fighting a losing battle, but she won't give up.

    She didn't have her med kit with her, she's using the bits she's found, scraps of tent, the bottom half of her own shirt made into a tourniquet for one guy. She's wholly focused on this dying man, a man she doesn't really know.

    That's when you see Weetabix. Well, her body. She was shot in the back of the head, it was probably quick. She's lying near Janco, who knows what happened there. Right now there's no obvious threat, things are simmering down.

    What do you do?
  • Kiddo,

    Rinso says, "Frak, Kiddo, I never expected THAT would work..."

    "You never had enough faith in her, dumbass." VB says.

    What do you do?
  • I smile, and slip my arms around Vee to give her a kiss, "a reward for my beautiful honeybee." After a quick minute to catch my breath, I look up to Rinso and pat his arm, "come on, Sweetie — let's go find Ma', and Stitch, and the Candies. I wanna make sure everyone's safe, and get things moving on the cleanup effort in the lower decks."
  • Kiddo,

    Rinso smiles when you two snuggle up, but yeah, he misses that, big time. He leads you guys down, sort of parting the red sea of people. You all find the Candies, standing over four bodies, three men, one woman. Only one of them is alive, the others were shot, multiple times. Star's got a foot on one of the corpses, like some fisherman with a big catch. "These are the frakkers that blew our place up! This one here, the one still breathin, he's named Krogers. Speak, Krogers!" She kicks him hard in the leg.

    He lays there, beaten badly, "I couldn't stop it. The Chosen want to share the lake. The water is so much better, you will all be happy! You'll see, it is good water!"
  • Rinso will get his chance. It's been a slow month becoming reacquainted, but I think I'm finally warming up to the idea of having him around again. I follow him out to the Bay, and approach the Candies.

    Krogers, huh? I don't really recognize him. I listen to his story about how the Chosen want us to drink from the lake... I knew that. I listen to his shit sales pitch... I knew that too. He has nothing else to add. Great. I look to Star. "We've already got one that's willing to talk sense. Do whatever you want to this one."
  • Kiddo,

    Star simply says, "Whopp."

    Whopper nods once, like some samurai, her matte black sword already out. She kicks him in the face, hard, with those hella-big boots, then chops on his head a couple times. Krogers is no more.

    Svenja exclaims, "Shit, girl! That was bru-tal."

    Zagnut chuckles, and a few Candy Bars whoop war cries.

    What do you do?
  • I let them do their celebrating a while, then call Star over. "We need to get the lower levels secured so Nescafe and his folks can do their job. Can you help keep things in order down there?"
  • Kiddo,

    Star nods, "Yeah. Buck headed down to the tents, held off most of the frakkers. We got this. You need any girls? Pick a couple."
  • I look around the group, and point out a couple that are a bit more mature. "Mamba, Mirage, and Svenja." Then I turn to Ma' and Vee, "Star's got things here — I'm gunna go see what Nescafe needs to get going, can you two find out if there's anything folks here need other than medical attention?"
  • [Stitch]

    I rush over and tear open my med kit, trying to assist Janco without interrupting her.

    OOC: Heal dying guy with stock spent incoming.
  • OOC: Heal the guy. Roll+stock spent (1)
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 6)
  • OOC: Janco is helping Stitch work on the guy. Roll+Hx.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 2. Total: 5)
  • [Proper]

    Well I guess we all file into the room, then. I'm a little worried about Janco, but just this moment I've got more people to worry about than I can handle.

    "Hey, Satin- going on a trip?" I say, seeing her bed in the hall. "How ya feeling?"

    If Silk's still out Braun can drop her on a bed- I'll shake his hand and nod my thanks at him.
  • Stitch,

    The guy, he's too far gone, Stitch. You could use Healing Touch on him, only Janco would see, probably. But otherwise, his life is slipping away.

    The other patients, they're going to make it. She did a tracheotomy on one of them, used her favorite pen. The aforementioned tourniquet, which was the bottom half of her shirt and a pipe, means the guy laying nearby will lose his leg, but its better than the alternative. Things are calming.

    Janco notices you, when you come over with the kit and you're helping her. Her voice is hard, she's focused on her task, "Weeta took a bullet for me, Stitch. So I could keep working... and this son of a bitch is still gonna die."

    What do you do?
  • [Stitch]

    Fuck. I don't want to do this in the middle of the bay, around all these people. I don't want to expose myself to some stranger- who by all rights should just let die. Some times you can do everything right and still lose them.

    But more than that, I don't want Janco to lose this patient. So I lay my hands on him.

    OOC: Healing touch incoming.
Sign In or Register to comment.