[In and Out] PRD and parts beyond (3.3)

Comments

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "By herself? Double Tea Eff? Somebody should update her turn-in text. Whatevs."

But the second half, the mystery... that's interesting. "Atheneia, we are strangers in this place. Who do you think would have a problem with your brother? Who gains from his murder?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Atheneia has another of those utterly still moments. Then, a new voice (male) speaks through her mouth, although "through her mouth" is a little inaccurate. Her mouth is open, but it's not moving. The voice seems to be coming from her, though, according to the full surround sound of your headset.

"Okay, here's the thing. This particular bit of the Olympus content is still in beta, right? An experiment with using live actors for critical NPCs. We've been on standby since Eve died, but no one warned us that someone that'd passed the earlier stages had also unlocked Olympus. Ah, this next bit is definitely supposed to be a solo quest. So, who do I give it to? Jace did the most damage, but she's not even on the list."

• abby-header
    "It depends." I answer, dropping out of character, too. "If it's a hammer quest, Roddik should take it. If it's a speed or sneaking quest, it should be mine."

• Twilight Solstice

Trev, you feel a full-on punch in the shoulder, then hear Reggie, off-mic, through the ambient sounds from your headset.

Reggie

"Trev! What the fuck? Do you just not care about beating that bitch?"

• edited November 2014
    Trevian
    I slip off my throat mic, but stay in game otherwise, and answer Reggie, "Of course I care, Ginatron. But seriously, if it were a hammer quest and I solo'd, I'd be up the creek. This was the most fair way I could think to solve it. I'm not going to fight Tobes over a quest that I would fail. She'd rock it, and at least it would be unlocked. What if it was lost if I failed?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"You're going to have to pass it on your own, regardless, to get to the next step, whether that bitch does it first or not. Is this because she's a girl? Is this because she's hot?"

• Trevian
    She didn't object to Gina-tron? Do we have a winner? "She is both of those things, but that's not why. I told you I want to see all that Eve made. Some of these quests are one-time only deals, you know that. If it's a quest that she can do and I can't, then I'd rather take a step back and unlock more of the story. Besides, you don't have enough faith in Eve. She never has just one way to tell a story."
  • The Real World

Reggie

"If you want to see all that Eve made, why are you so ready to give up this quest? I mean, this has got to be something she made."

• Trevian
    Damn if she doesn't have a point. "I love you. You're right. What's done is done."
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

Jace addresses 'Atheneia'. "Trev... Abaddon was here first. He should take the quest, regardless."

Roddik

"Fuck that. I put more hurt down. Didn't I?"

• abby-header
    "Listen, you two." I say in game, "Let's figure out the quest, send whoever is best suited, and the other two can run shotgun on the video feed. That way we all see what's next and nobody is left behind. We worked together on the quest, there's no reason we can't work together on the follow-up. There's no reason to fight over this. Seriously."

Then, off mic, "Reggie, back me up or she'll gank us both and snag the prize." I think that's a lie, but it's decent leverage.
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

Off mic as well, Reggie says, "Trev, do you hear what you're saying? Do you really think there's no reason to fight for this quest? When you played basketball, did you try to convince the other guys to just play catch?"

Roddik

On-screen, Roddik shakes his helmeted head. "You... are an idiot.

Yeah, Trev is waffling so hard, he's gonna need some maple syrup soon. Take an XP die.

• abby-header
    I ignore them for a moment and stare at Atheneia, "Seriously, dude. What's the quest type?" I'm not frustrated, but I am a little embarrassed.

Off mic: "When I play ball, I play hard, and I play on a team. Shit, Ginatron, why can't we at least see what's up with the quest before we go to the wall over this?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Atheneia

Atheneia speaks, in that same male voice. "Can't help you. Only way to find out about the... hang on."

Reggie

Still off-mic. "Trev, you have a team. Toby's not on it."

• So, here's the thing. You're trying to make everyone happy, and I'll be up front with you: it's not going to work. Toby will not give up the quest without a fight, and Reggie will be pissed if you give it up.

So, I see a few options:

• Back off, hand Toby the quest, deal with Reggie's reaction, and assume that Toby will play fair and let you ride along.
    • Try to claim the quest, and be ready to fight.

It's possible that there will be significant material benefit in finishing this sub-quest first, but there's no way to know without doing it.

Sorry to say it, Trev, but the chips are down and it's time to make a choice.

• edited November 2014
    abby-header
    "Roddik... I challenge you for the right to take this quest." Fuuuuuck.

I am not letting him... her gank me right off. I'm ready for the swing and I will pull a fade. I've got my hand near my potion of rapture* as I say this.

(* OOC pg. 86 Scarlet Heroes:
    Potion of Rapture: A costly extract compounded from the essences of numerous recreational drugs and sorcerous concoctions, a potion of rapture may be consumed by a user or splashed on a victim. If the subject submits to the drug, they spend the next hour in a helpless, oblivious state of ecstasy. If they fight the effects, the drug lasts only 2d4 rounds- but each round the subject must make a saving throw against difficulty 14 to perform any action.)
  • Twilight Solstice

Roddik

Toby must've paid for some custom mods, because when Roddik stretches and moves his head left and right like he's loosening up, you hear the crack of vertebrae. The axe swings experimentally in your direction.

Let's roll initiative. That's 1d8 + your Dex modifier.

• Roddik Initiative

(Rolled: 1d8+1. Rolls: 2. Total: 3)
  • Abbadon initiative:
    (Rolled: 1d8+1. Rolls: 5. Total: 6)
  • abby-header
    Potion of Rapture in yo face, Roddik!
    (Attack Bonus +4, Dex bonus +1, Roddik's AC +3)
    (Rolled: 1d20+8. Rolls: 16. Total: 24)
  • Potion lasts (Rolled: 2d4. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 6) rounds.
  • Twilight Solstice

Roddik stiffens and then sways comically for a brief second.

Saving Throw
    2d8 + level(6) + CON bonus(1) vs. 14
    (Rolled: 2d8+7. Rolls: 5, 8. Total: 20)

• edited November 2014

Twilight Solstice

Roddik

Roddik manages to shake it off long enough to take a swing at you.

Axe:
    Base Attack Bonus +6, Weapon +2, Abaddon's AC +4
    (Rolled: 1d20+12. Rolls: 11. Total: 23)

POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED. If it appears that dice were rolled in this post, they may need to be disregarded as fabricated.
  • Forgot to roll damage

(Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 6. Total: 8)
  • abby-header
    Drawing my swords and closing in.
    (Attack Bonus +6, Sharpness +1, Roddik's AC +3)
    (Rolled: 1d20+10. Rolls: 7. Total: 17)

Damage (if I hit)
    (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 5. Total: 7)
  • Roddik Saving Throw #2

(Rolled: 2d8+7. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 17)

• Twilight Solstice

Roddik

Axe: (Rolled: 1d20+12. Rolls: 3. Total: 15)

Damage: (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 1. Total: 3)

• abby-header
    I'm hacking away, but I'm pretty sure I'm doomed.
    (Rolled: 1d20+10. Rolls: 2. Total: 12)

Damage (if I hit)
    1d8+2
  • abby-header
    I'm using my Ring of Luck for a re-roll on the attack.
    (Rolled: 1d20+10. Rolls: 13. Total: 23)

Damage (if I hit)
    (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 4. Total: 6)
  • edited November 2014

Twilight Solstice

Jace

"I'm not going to sit this out, Trev. Can't do it."

She makes those creepy sounds and gestures again, and a red cloud forms behind Roddik, with the fighter just inside the near edge.

• Crimson Rain of Deliquescence

Damage: (Rolled: 6d6. Rolls: 6, 5, 6, 1, 2, 4. Total: 24)

• Twilight Solstice

Roddik

As Roddik falls to the ground, holes forming in his armor and pitting his axe from the caustic rain, you hear Toby over the chat channel. "You are so fucked, Trevian. I'll find you sometime when your little girl can't save your ass, and I'll gank you over and over again, just for fun."

Jace

"That was very satisfying. See? You've got a team, Trev."

Atheneia

Atheneia speaks again. Back to the female voice. "Will you help me find who sent the beast against my brother? There is a rogue cult devoted to Hades nearby, and of course the Earth Shake has always been a rival to our patroness."

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "Dammit."

I give a salute to Roddik's corpse, then turn to Atheneia. "We will take this quest and find who sent the murdering beast." I'll look for nav points and start heading out.

Chat channel: "I challenged Roddik. That was a dirty trick.."
  • Twilight Solstice

Over the chat channel. "Yes, it was. Messed up her equipment, too. Going to cost her to repair it."

Atheneia explains where the nearest temple to Poseidon is, and tells you that the Hades cult primarily inhabits a series of caves beneath a range of mountains nearby. Which do you look at first?

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "You enjoyed that. Hey, she's off our channel now, right?."

Following Atheneia's directions, heading off at a jog for the temple. "Minotaurs are affiliated with Poseidon, we'll head there first, Jace."
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

Jace doesn't follow. "You have to go it alone for real, looks like. I can only go back the way we came. I'll slave to your machine and ride along. First though, stop for a second and look at me. I mean, take off the goggles."

The Real World

When you do stop and take off the goggles, Reggie gives you a hesitant kiss.

Reggie

"Trev, I won't lie. I did enjoy pulling the plug on Toby. She's really just awful, but you're so good, you always want to make the best of people. Are you really mad?" She seems to be really worried.

• Trevian
    I kiss her back, not with passion or fervor, I'm kind of in "game mode" and this is an important quest. I do meet her eyes and hold it. I want her to know I'm serious. "Did you attack her because she's an awful person, or because you're jealous that I know her and think she's pretty? Be honest."
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

Reggie quirks the slightest of smiles. "Honest? I attacked her because I thought she was going to kick your ass." She pauses, considering your serious look. "That's the truth. She's super hot and she likes weed, but I trust you, Trev. I'm not really good at jealous."

• Trevian
    That helps me relax a little. She isn't good at jealous? Interesting. "She was going to kick my ass. But she's trying to solve the quest, too. She may seem bitchy, but this is important to her. As important as it is to us. She wasn't the first to join the quest, but she fought for the prize. And I wish she'd agreed to team up. But she agreed to a challenge. And you cheated her out of it. That's not cool. So next time, let me get my ass kicked. Okay?" I'm scolding her a little, but I'm not mad. How can you stay mad at a girl this cool?
  • The Real World

Reggie

There's a long moment where Reggie seems to ponder, and at one point it even looks like her lips are forming the "O" of "Okay." Instead, though, she says, "No. Honestly it's not okay. But we can talk about that later, right? You've got some questing to do, and we have a fundamental difference of opinion on playground etiquette and how to deal with bullies."

• Trevian
    "Alright, we'll talk later." I agree, a little sad. I appreciate her honesty, but it's just more trouble.

I put my visor back on and jump into it. I'm heading for the temple.
  • edited November 2014

The Real World

Reggie

Reggie gives you a quick kiss as you get ready to put the visor back on. "I'll be riding along, and in your ears the whole time."

Twilight Solstice

You finish your jog to the location Atheneia gave you. The temple entrance is carved into the face of a cliff that looms above the beach. A waterfall cascades down across the massive, crowned face of Poseidon that makes up the facade before carving a channel to the sea a few hundred yards away. Ten yards out from the waterfall, nearly engulfed in the rainbow-casting mist, is a bridge spanning the channel, with a walkway leading from the center to the barely-visible doors of the temple, now standing open.

Standing at either end of the bridge are a pair of guards, massive armored figures carrying wicked-looking tridents.

What do you do?

• abby-header
    Guards are for suckers. I'm sneaking past these guys.
  • edited November 2014

Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, here's the situation.

photo stupid_map_zpsce2091e5.png

You examine the lay of the land, knowing that Reggie is doing the same. You could make your way to the top of the cliff and climb down. It would be a tough climb, on wet rock, and a pretty hefty fall if you fail, but it's doable. You could try to swim up the runoff channel, but that would still leave you well below the level of the temple entrance, and it seems more than possible that a temple of Poseidon might have some sort of guardians in the water.

Reggie

"Wow, that looks rough. Maybe... you're supposed to talk to the guards? There might be some sort of challenge and response that grants entrance. Or... you're back to full health, right? Think you could take two of those guys and get to the temple before the other two react?"

To answer the question, no. You could take them, sure, but unless the others are forbidden to leave their posts, you'd have the second pair on you as soon as you finished. You can probably manage all four, from what you see in the HUD, but it would take some kindness from the RNG.

• abby-header
    Guess I'm a sucker. I'll walk up to them. "I'm Abaddon. A minotaur killed a friend of mine. I wish to see the head of the temple about this problem."

If they refuse entrance, it's climbing time.
  • Twilight Solstice

The guards turn, their tridents crossing to block entry to the bridge. In a deep voice like the roar of the surf, the one on the left says, "The first Minotaur." The one on the right continues. "Born of a curse" The left. "And the avarice and deceit of Minos of Crete." The right. "So, tell us," The left. "Who was it that screwed the bull?"

• abby-header
    That's easy, I don't even wait for Reggie to Google it. "Minos's wife. The child ate his own mother."
  • Twilight Solstice

"And what..."

"...was her name?"

• abby-header
    Shit. It's like Parsnips or something.
    "What's the name, Ginatron? Passy something, right?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"Wait... Pasiphae. Did the minotaur really eat her?"

You convey the answer, and the guards uncross their tridents so that you can pass.

• edited November 2014
    abby-header
    Chat: "He did in the book I read. An actual book?"

I stride down the bridge and onward.
  • Twilight Solstice

You pass through the curtain of the waterfall, which doesn't drench you as you would expect. On either side of the huge double-arched seashell arches of the entrance stands a painted marble statue. On the left is beautiful Amphitrite, with long dark hair swirling up as if in a current of water and her skin tinged slighly blue. On the right is Poseidon himself, regal in a crown summited by a great pearl held between the outstretched hooves of two horses.

Once through the entrance, you see an eerily beautiful woman... well, half an eerily beautiful woman. The bottom half, as she reclines topless in a large crystal tank, is that of, well, an eerily beautiful fish.

"Greetings. I am Nesaea. What do you seek, mortal?"

• abby-header
    Chat: "Dayum, this is wondrous."

I bow low, showing respect, fall into character, "I am Abaddon, a traveling adventurer on a long quest. During my journey, I came to this land and met a woman named Atheneia. Her brother was slain by a minotaur. I hunted the minotaur to its labyrinth and slew for her sake. Now, I am searching for who sent her, and why. Can you help me?"
  • edited November 2014

Twilight Solstice

Nesaea smiles, showing an unexpected row of needle-sharp teeth. "Ah, and because the first of her kind was sired by Poseidon's white bull, you seek answers here in the Earth-Shaker's temple. That seems acceptable. I will summon a priestess to attend to your supplication."

She closes her eyes, fingers trailing in the water, and a moment later, a young woman clad in a light blue robe enters through a door deeper into the chamber. She moves toward you and Nesea with a graceful stride. She does not look Greek at all.

Phile

"Greetings, pilgrim. I am Phile."

What do you do?

• abby-header
    Chat: "This is not what I expected, Ginatron. Any advice?"

I incline my head, not bowing like I did to Nesaea, "Greetings Phile. I am searching for whoever sent the great Minotaur that slew Agathon, brother of Atheneia."
  • Twilight Solstice

Phile

"Well, Asterion, the first minotaur, was a product of Poseidon's divine bull and Aphrodite's 'curse', wasn't he? So where better to start your search? As it happens, I, too, share a touch of both the Sea Foam and the Sea God in my heritage. Perhaps... perhaps you wish to... what? really? ummm... explore what Olympus' swan has to offer?"

Phile hesitates a moment before pulling down one side of her robe, to expose her very realistic left breast.

• abby-header
    Chat: "Uhhh.... Ginatron? I think she's trying to distract me. You think I should just start hacking or sleep with her or what?"

I stay still, watching her disrobe, but very aware that a bunch of devs are watching and tweaking this. At leas a live voice actor. Not an incredibly good one.
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

That toon seems very realistic, almost 1-to-1 mapped. I think it's time to call an audible on the 'live actor' experiment. This can't be Eve's plan."

• abby-header
    Chat: "Yeah, it feels like some hack."

I raise a hand, "Whoah. No thanks. I'm trying to complete the quest, which is to find who sent the minotaur out. I'm not trying to make a new one. Thanks, but no thanks." I give Phile a level look, "Did this temple, or someone from it, send the minotaur out that slew Agathon?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Phile

Phile pulls her robe back around herself. "Thank you." After a pause, she continues. "The minotaur was not sent by the temple, or by anyone acting on behalf of the temple. I can't say whether or not it was summoned by an adherent acting on their own, though. There's no way to know for certain. You're welcome to look around, though, and speak to anyone you like. You can't enter the sanctum itself, of course, but otherwise feel free. I'll walk with you, if you don't mind."

• abby-header
    Chat: "Okay, she thanked me. Guess that was a good call."

I walk with her, "I'd like to look around, please. And yes, Phile, please walk with me."
  • Twilight Solstice

Phile

Phile lets you wander where you like, pointing out details of the architecture and decorations. A shimmering wall mosaic made up of subtly-colored mother of pearl, depicting a herd of foam-maned hippocampi running free across a choppy sea. A basin of sparkling sea water made from a single polished clam shell, six feet in diameter. She introduces you to various attendants and worshippers, as well.

One of these is an older man dressed in a priest's deep blue robes and wearing a wave-shaped cap. Phile introduces him as Alcaeus and explains the reason for your visit.

Alcaeus addresses you in a deep, resonant voice. "The death of Agathon is a shame. He was a noble young man, a fine warrior, and a worthy servant of Athena. We of the Temple by the Sea would not take actions to strengthen the rivalry between our patron and She of the Olive Tree, trust me." He pauses, deep in thought. "Nereus, though, still chafes that Poseidon rules the sea, saying that his own claim is the older one. Nothing would delight the Old Man of the Sea more than to stir up trouble for Poseidon. He doesn't have an organized cult, per se, but he does have his followers. It is said that they sometimes gather at the new moon on the shores of Black Bay."

• abby-header
    I ask the old man with interest, "When is the new moon?"
  • Twilight Solstice

"Tonight, as it happens. Phile, be sure to show this young man the map room, in case he decides to visit Black Bay." He twist a blood red coral ring around his finger in a gesture that seems meditative rather than nervous, and waits to see if you have further questions.

• abby-header
    Continuing to question him politely, "Anything else I should know about Nereus? Weaknesses? Threats?" It's cold to say it that way, but I'm pressed for time, and a little irritated at Reggie, still.
  • Twilight Solstice

The old man answers. "He is tricky, and can shift shape as easily as a bag full of water, but if you manage to grab him and hold him through three successive forms, he will be forced to grant you a boon. 'Ware stepping into water while he is near, for while he doesn't command the oceans as a whole, he has absolute control of the element when he is near it. And now, if you'll excuse me, I should continue to the meditation chamber."

• abby-header
    "Thank you, Alcaeus. " I nod courteously to him, then head towards the map room.
  • Twilight Solstice

On the way to the map room, Phile leads you through a large refectory, where a table is laden with all manner of food, mostly the gifts of the sea. You see Athena's presence even here in the heart of her rival's holy place, though, in the form of a large platter of olives, fresh and cured. Phile pops one in her mouth and chews.

The next hallway is more plain than those you have been in so far, and you sense that you're in a less public part of the large temple complex. The light of the torches has a slight blue tinge, and the flickering flames make it seem that you are underwater, seeing in refracted sunlight.

Phile opens a large door and leads the way into a chamber with a large table covered with charts and maps. What draws your attention, however, is a large mosaic on the wall, made up of tiny pieces of shell and sand and coral and all the other colorful or shiny bits that make their way from sea to shore. The mosaic shows a large-scale map of an island (presumably the one you're on), and indicates currents and depth of the surrounding see through subtle gradations in shades of blue.

Phile walks to the wall and says, "Black Bay." The mosaic rearranges itself, zooming in to show a section of coast with a half-moon shaped bay, then out a bit to show a slightly larger piece of the island including both bay and temple.

• abby-header
    Chat: "Wow! For an unfinished adventure, this is amazing."

I look for the differing routes to Black Bay. What's the most obvious? What's hidden?
  • Twilight Solstice

It seems there are three paths.

One leads through a glen currently occupied by the Raving Ones, the Maenads, and their wild, destructive bacchanalian revels.

The second leads through a small valley inhabited by a catoblepas, whose fierce gaze causes terror, and whose foul breath is poison to all those around it.

The final one leads past the lair of a fierce and ancient chimera.

• edited November 2014
    abby-header
    Chat: "Ginatron, you think I can sneak past some chimera? Or should I brave the Maenads?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"I think sneaking's your best option for any of them, I don't know anything about what a catoblepas is, but I don't like the sound of that area attack. Sounds like there are a lot of Maenads, and I'm not sure it would be Abby's kind of party. I'd go chimera, yeah." She sighs. "I wish I could be there! I want to see all the things!"

• abby-header
    I mark the path and start out for the chimera.

Chat: "I wish you were here, too."

I'll take main roads for speed, until I get closer, then sneak.
  • Twilight Solstice

You reach the point where your path carries you off the main roads, turning on to a barely defined rocky path that winds down into a narrow defile between two outcroppings of stone. A trickle of water flows along the center, feeding sparse grass and low brush. Clouds form in the sky above as you continue to travel, and lightning starts to flicker. From ahead, you faintly hear a deep roar, followed by a brassy braying. An instant later, a spot a hundred yards away is illuminated by a burst of red flame.

• abby-header
    That's pretty close. I'll keep my weapons sheathed and start creeping. I'm crouching low to keep a low profile, eyes alert and watchful. But I'm moving forward.
  • Twilight Solstice

You make your way from rock to shrub to boulder, keeping to the shadows and moving without a sound. When you reach the point where you saw the gout of fire, the defile widens to your right and opens into a shallow cave. Standing in front of the cave is the chimera, its three heads giving it six eyes to seek you out, six ears to hear you stumble, six nostrils to catch your scent.

Chimera

I think it's time for a roll, don't you? Let's call this a Difficult check, with a target of 13. You'll roll, add your attribute modifier and trait.

• abby-header
    (Dex Bonus +1, Trait Adventuring Thief 7))
    (Rolled: 2d8+8. Rolls: 6, 7. Total: 21)
  • Twilight Solstice

As you creep past the huge beast, your eye catches on something white and glinting in the shifting light. One of the chimera's lion-claws, easily as long as your hand, lies on the ground. You pick it up and move around a curve, out of sight, continuing slow and silent until you're confident you've moved out of the creature's sensory range.

Soon, you reach the crest of a hill, a narrow path winding down to a bay with dark water illuminated by the occasional flash of lightning and the flames of a bonfire. A half-dozen figures stand or sit around the fire, indistinguishable in the growing darkness and shifting shadows of the flames.

• abby-header
    I'll wait at the hill, crouched down to watch. Are these figures wary? Are they monsters? I want to see what I'm getting into, and I'm prepared to sneak if needed.
  • Twilight Solstice

Not long after you settle in to wait, an eerie chant begins from the figures around the bonfire. The fire flares and your keen senses can see that these are six human men, dressed in robes.

You make your way closer as the chant continues. The men are focussed on whatever rite they're enacting, not sparing attention or setting guards to deal with intruders.

• abby-header
    Chat: "Ginatron, you think they're summoning another minotaur?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"Why do you keep saying Ginatron? What is that, some sort of nervous tic? Minotaur, maybe, or Nereus himself?"

• abby-header
    Chat: "Dunno, maybe I was sneezing. I think I'll wait for it to be summoned? Nah, maybe I'll mess with their spell and break it. Sound like a good idea?"
  • Twilight Solstice

"What's the goal? Figure out if it's Nereus behind Agathon's killing, or prevent whatever happens next? That's the answer to the question, Trevvie-Wevvie."

• abby-header
    Chat: "The quest is to avenge Agathon. But killing Nereus doesn't guarantee that. Guess I'll wait.... wanna sing to me? Keep me company."
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

Reggie chuckles, and you feel her hand on your shoulder. Over chat, "Sure, I'll sing." A few seconds pass, then you hear, "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy Kitty, Sleepy Kitty, purr, purr, purr."

On the beach, something is happening. Well, not on the beach, but a few yards out in the water. A small whirlpool forms, then inverts itself into a fluid semblance of a human form. It moves inland toward the shore, and as it crosses the boundary from bay to beach, it becomes the figure of an old man with a long scraggly beard, dressed as a peasant fisherman. Despite the appearance, though, there is no disputing the power that radiates from the figure. He has a sort of halo, as if something much larger is hiding within the shell that you see.

"How did they even render that effect? This is so cool!"

• abby-header
    Chat (after she sings): "Ah, the classics."

I watch the old man arise and Reggie and I agree, it's awesome.
    Chat: "I'm going to sneak up after he gets away from the water, try to hold him through three forms. Hope I can pull it off." I know Roddik could've done this.
  • Twilight Solstice

You get yourself to within striking distance of Nereus. He approaches the bonfire and the half-dozen members of his cult, and finally, the sand he's standing on is dry.

What do you do?

• abby-header
    Chat: "Here goes nothing."

I stroll out to the group, offer Nereus and his summoners a bow with a wave of my hand. "Great and wonderful Nereus, I am honored to greet the true god of the waters. I am Abaddon."
  • Twilight Solstice

Did they have crickets in Ancient Greece? Apparently the sound designers thought so, because everything goes quiet when you make yourself known, and then you distinctly hear the sound of night-time crickets chirping, underlining the silence as six humans and one god turn to stare at you in disbelief.

Nereus turns his full attention toward you, and the intensity of his gaze translates through the haptics as a slight, generalized pressure. Your vision hyperfocuses on the god, everything else in your field of view becoming ever-so-slightly blurred.

"Who are you, and why have you disturbed this sacred rite?"

• abby-header
    I bow lower now, specifically to Nereus. "I am Abaddon, a traveler. I have sought the great and powerful Nereus. I know with a single look that the stories and legends of your power pale in comparison to the truth."
  • Twilight Solstice

Nereus inclines his head, taking your words in. "And yet, you do not tell me why you are here. What is your goal, mortal?"

The mortals arrange themselves in a crescent around you and Nereus.

• abby-header
    My head is bent in reverence to this deity as I answer, "My great lord Nereus, I have heard the legends of your awesome power. They say that you are the master of many forms. I have heard..." I lower my voice conspiratorially, "That even the Lord of the Sky is amazed."

I look at him them, hoping the flattery has buttered him up. "I have come to see this with my own eyes. I want to spread the word of your power!" I have more buttering up I could do, but I think I'll wait.
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"Divine tourism? Good angle. Wonder how the game will handle that?"

Nereus continues to stare. "You wish me to... perform for you, mortal? Am I some trained monkey from Aethiope at a rustic festival?"

You have a strong feeling this is another live actor. Almost subliminal cues from intonation and the way the words are spaced makes it seem that this can't be an expert system's response.

• abby-header
    Hands up, palms facing him in a defensive gesture, "No, no, no, my great and powerful lord. I wish to witness your power with my own eyes, to learn for myself." I pause, then shift my tone to a hint of challenge, "I am, actually, a bit of a shifter myself. I am sure you are much more powerful than I, of course. I'm certain of it."
  • Twilight Solstice

"A contest, then? You will fail, mortal, but I will be glad to teach you humility." He chuckles, a sound like a low surf washing onto a pebbled beach. "You show me yours, mortal prince, and I shall show you mine."

Something catches your eye in the outer limits of the bonfire's light, a flash of movement. When you look, the flash resolves into two snakes, twining around each other.

Let's see a roll here. Nereus is powerful well beyond Abby's scope, but he is a Greek god and therefore vain and given to making stupid decisions in the heat of the moment. Let's call this Charisma against an average difficulty of 11, and I don't really see a Trait that applies, do you? However, you will have an additional bonus of +3. Why? Meh, you'll find out later.

• abby-header
    I nod, keeping my look of respect. "Of course. I wish to learn from your power, not to overshadow it, my lord."
    I do some slight of hand and quaff my potion of disguise, shifting in the form of a playful faun named Higgins that was a quest giver from way back. Always liked Higgins. Reggie will recognize him. I cavort, then prance around for him, moving close enough to reach out and hold his arm. "It is magic, but not true magic like your power, my lord. Show me yours now."
  • Twilight Solstice

"Ha! A faun? How about this?" His form shifts instantly to that of a harpy, and you're grateful that TSol doesn't have smell-o-vision, or whatever, because it's got gobbets of meat stuck in its teeth. He/she/it doesn't notice that you're still holding on to his/her/its arm/wing/whatever. Yet.

So, let's have a roll, as described.

• abby-header
    (Rolled: 2d8+4. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 14)
  • Twilight Solstice

So, that's a definite success. You're being crafty, and Nereus is totally buying into it.

He shifts to Harpy-form, and you match him by trying for Bugbear, but the RNG decrees that you only come close, so you manage Owlbear (kind of embarrassing). Nereus responds by transforming into a slithery, slimy sea-serpent that you manage to keep hold of only by sheer force of will (without the Black Marlin gloves, you'd definitely have let go...)

After you transform to a gorilla, Nereus shifts into the form of one of one of his own daughters (who number fifty), the Nereids. You can't tell which one, from the evidence at hand, but she is certainly comely. "Unhand me, and I shall grant you a kiss!" And yet, you hold firm.

Nereus fumes. "You tricked me!" The sea behind him several paces away, boils.