[SWAW] M'Haeli Meet (18)

Comments

• LtHawke
    He looks at the datapad for only a moment. "I saw him onboard the Sword a few times, but we never worked together. He's I.I. Captain Aldous Sark. What did he do to you?"

"Let's just say he's certainly the reason I broke into your safehouse and caught you with your pants down. Or however you'd care to put it."
  • LtHawke
    Ceric chuckles at that. "I never dealt with him, but he seems like a... typical I.I."
  • Read a Dude

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 5. Total: 10)
  • Is Ceric telling the truth?
    What is Ceric really feeling?
    What does Ceric intend to do, once we arrive at Kiffu?
  • LtHawke
    He's a straight shooter.
    Ceric's a little bit scared. He's worried now that this isn't a trip to the Rebellion, but maybe a mindkarking from I.I. He's wondering if Sark set him up, and he has no idea why.
    If he gets to Kiffu, he'll feel a whole lot better about this. He's really wanting to make up from what he's seen the Empire do. His whole galaxy-view has flipped in the last year, and he hopes the Rebellion is everything that little Rebel spy said it was.

"You met one person, face to face. Sorry to keep digging, but give me a description, Ceric. To be clear, I believe you, but I'm still not sure you're not a liability. The Rebel I know on Kiffu is... well, I have a real relationship, and I don't want to risk them."
  • LtHawke
    Completely serious, Ceric answers, "It's okay, Captain. I don't want you to put your people at risk for my sake." His shoulders slump a little. "His name was Am Serro. He worked with a unit called the Roughnecks. I... I really liked him. He was transferred off the ship into a holding facility."

"Ceric, thanks for being open with me. Can you think of anything else that might help me unravel this mess?"
  • LtHawke
    He thinks on that for a moment before answering. "Well. Either I'm some plant, which I can only say I'm not. Or there's someone deep in who got me out." He frowns a little, "This isn't much help, I know."

I nod. "Thanks. I'm afraid I'm going to have to secure your quarters and limit your comms to ship's intercom, Ceric. I hope you understand."
  • LtHawke
    "Yes sir." he answers crisply. Then, he eases back on the bed, sitting with his back against the wall.

I take my leave, step outside the cabin. On comms, "Jojee, can you please secure the door to our guest's cabin and make sure he can only communicate within the ship?"
  • Jojee
    Jojee quips back, "Yes, Cap. It's done."

"Thanks. I'll be in my quarters if you need me." I head back there now. Time for klava and reflection.
  • edited January 2015
    photo Kiffu_zps2ffb9f51.png
    After a screen wipe, we skip ahead a few days. Jojee used FC to plot a course from M'Haeli to the Rimma Trade Route, then up to Kiffu. The Profit Margin slides out of hyperspace smoothly, sensors coming up and showing you your birthplace. It's beautiful this time of the year. Kiffex is coming closer, and the vista reminds you of a certain someone.

Jojee
    Jojee looks over, "Anything special about landing here? Want to reach out to your Baba?"

"I'm really here to deliver this package, but that does mean contacting Darkal at least. We'll see. Can you keep us out a ways while I get in touch?"
  • Jojee
    "Of course, Cap." She eases back into a holding pattern so you can make contact.
  • You reach out to.your brother. He comes on the holovid in a few minutes. He looks surprised to see you.

Darkal-header
    "Ladro! It's so good to see you!" He grins.

I smile. "And you, Darkal. I'm afraid I'm here on an odd bit of business, though. Are you secure?"
  • Darkal-header
    You see him hit some buttons on a console of his speeder, "I am now. What do you need?"

Still being a little cagey, just in case. "Sark sent me to M'Haeli to grab a defector from the Imperial Navy. Apparently, I'm supposed to deliver him to you. I don't get it, but the defector seems genuine. Initial contact was made by someone named Am Serro, if that means anything."
  • Darkal-header
    A dark look crosses your brother's face. "Am Serro died in a labor camp. He was a Roughneck. They recruited me to the cause. He... he was a good man."
  • edited January 2015

"That's what Ceric said about him. So, I feel pretty confident that this man is who he says he is, and that his intentions are to help the cause of the Alliance. It seems he has both skills and knowledge that might be useful. I have no idea why Sark sent me to him, but some pretty serious data analysis leads me to believe that Sark has been working against the Empire all along, regardless of his methods and uniform. What would you like to do?"
  • Darkal-header
    Without hesitation, bold as ever, your brother answers, "I want to meet him. Where are you?"

"Standing off from Kiffar. Any idea of a place to land where we won't have Imperial eyes on us?"
  • Darkal-header
    He thinks for a second, then says with an impish grin, "That place where you wouldn't jump. There. How soon?"

Where's he talking about? It's some natural place, right? A cliff? A waterfall?

"Right. Ninety minutes. And I'm still not jumping."

There's a cliff above the ocean. The edge of a broad plateau. It's a ridiculously high spot to jump from, would absolutely kill you, but it just so happens that there's a constant, strong wind that blows against the cliff from near sea level, at such force that the air currents essentially take a 90-degree turn and follow the cliff up. If you're careful not to pick one of the very few times during the years when the wind's not blowing (and it's certainly easy enough to check) you can jump spread-eagled and land in the water a kilometer below as if jumping into a pond from a tree limb ten meters up.

Not going to do it. Just can't fool my brain into thinking it's not stupid.

I bring up the planet in the holo, find the location and comm Jojee with the coordinates. "But hold off. Quick family meeting first. Please ask everyone to meet me in the common area? I'm going to retrieve Ceric from his cabin."
  • The crew assembles: Squall, Hosk and Amarath. FC is in engineering. Jojee's flying the ship, of course (unless you want her to "park it" and come back, which she can). After fetching Ceric, they're all assembled.

"Jojee, are you on comms? Okay, then. Here's the deal. We're landing on Kiffar. Darkal is going to meet with Ceric. Amy, Hosk, I want you present the entire time, with your blasters out but not aimed. I've heard your objections, and I understand them, even agree with them to an extent. But we're doing this, and I'm counting on all of you to keep your heads and save my space heinie if the poodoo does hit the thrusters. Questions?"
  • For one bright, shining moment, Hosk and Amarath both look at you, then nod. Squall quirks a frown, but says nothing. There are no questions. They've got your back on this.

I meet everyone's eye, ending with a long look at Ceric. "Jojee, let's land this bird."
  • cliff
    We pick up with the Profit Margin having landed by Darkal's landspeeder. He's up at the peak of the cliffs, hair flying in the breeze, watching you. He waves when you start walking up towards him. Ceric walks beside you, Hosk and Amy coming up behind.

Darkal-header
    Darkal gives you a nod, then moves forward to clasp your forearm. "I'm glad you've returned. It's good to see you!" He turns to Ceric, "Hello there. I'm Darkal."

LtHawke
    Ceric moves forward, offering a hand, "Ceric Hawke."

"I'll step back. Darkal, Ceric believes he has something to offer to the Alliance. I'll let the two of you talk for a while before we have any reunions." I turn and walk back up the ramp a ways.
  • The two men talk for a few minutes while you stand nearby. The sounds of the ocean below mask their conversation. Amarath wanders off a little, keeping eyes peeled, maybe listening in, but being casual about it. Hosk stands at your side, his rifle out but down, like ordered. He squints in the setting sun.

Finally, Darkal shakes Ceric's hand, and there's an obvious relief in Ceric's stance. They start walking back down from the edge of the cliff.

Darkal-header
    "I'm taking Ceric with me to a safehouse, leaving him with some of my unit." Darkal tells you. He glances over to Hosk, the Bothan he helped save who never thanked him, but his focus is primarily on you. "Come home, Ladro. Please. Just for a night, at least. I'll be there soon." He waits to make sure you will, then adds, "Your whole crew is welcome, of course. Just land in the woods, not the spaceport." Why is that a dangerous option, Ladro?

What do you do?

All of the possible landing spots in the woods near home are really tight, and most of the approaches would cross commercial/Imperial traffic lanes. Jojee can pull it off, for sure, but I wonder if it's worth the risk.

"Darkal, I don't see how I can call that 'home' when our mother flatly said I was no longer her son. I don't need to come there to be kicked in the teeth again."
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal's mouth tightens, not in anger, just in that unhappy agreement that what happened was not pleasant. "Ladro... father isn't getting any younger." He licks his lips, searching your eyes, "Please. I... I want to talk to her with you."

Our eyes lock for long seconds before I nod, once. "You go on. I'll see you at the house." I turn back toward the ship.
  • He does, trusting you at your word. Ceric's already in the speeder, and they're zipping off by the time your ramp is up. Amarath went inside, heading to the common room, but Hosk hangs back with you.

Hosk watches your brother, his eyes a bit far off. He pats your arm, "You're doing the right thing, Lad. Giving this a second shot. Family's important."

I nod again. "I'm going to ask you all to stay on the ship when we land. I think I need to deal with this on my own, at least at first. Is that okay?"
    "Yes. Especially after my last touchdown here. What about Amy?"

"I'll let her choose, but I'm not bringing her to my home." That sounded bad. "I mean, I'm doing that alone, but it's okay if she wants to make any visits of her own."
    That gets a chuckle from Hosk. "Well, I'm sure she'll head out. Let's hope she doesn't end up in jail again. Squall and Jojee? Sorry for being nosy, Lad."

"I'm not going to insist that anyone stays cooped up, but I will request it. We'll be here for one night." I get on the comms. "Sorry to keep doing this, but can we all meet in the common room, please?"

When we gather, I lay it out. "Jojee, I have a nice challenge for you. You're going to need to thread a tight needle to get us landed in a clearing barely big enough for the ship, and do it without crossing any of about half a dozen air traffic lanes. Should be fun, right? I'm going home for the night. This is not an order, but I'd like for all of you to stay on the ship while we're here. Before we take off, though, I thought some of you might want to take a few minutes to... jump off a cliff." I look at Jojee and Amy in particular, our two adrenaline junkies.
  • Jojee
    Jojee joined you in the common room since you're on the ground, "Oh. I love needles, Cap. I'm happy to park you for a visit."

You go on a bit and then ask them about jumping off the cliffs. Amarath squeals with delight and giggles a little.

Amarath-header
    "I haven't jumped off that cliff in years! But here's the thing. The only real way to do it... is NAKED!" She gives you a maniac grin and sits down, pulling off her boots.

Hosk looks shocked. Squall's brows rise, ze seems intrigued.

Jojee
    Jojee's laughing a little, "Are you serious?" Amy doesn't answer out loud, but her first boot drops to the deck.

What do you do?

"I have a perfect record of never having jumped off any cliff, clothed or naked, and I'm going to keep the streak intact. But..." I nod to Amy. "I do understand that nude is the way to go." I shrug at Hosk. "Tradition, friend. Feel free to hide in your cabin, but as for me, it's not harassment if they decide to get naked all on their own."
    With a harrumph, "Well. I don't need to see you hairless beasts..."

Jojee
    Jojee throws out, "Oh? You're only into bare skin when it's beet red? Purple doesn't do it for you?" She's shucked down her pants, stepping on her boots to get them off like even this is a race.

"No, not even a little." Hosk says, averting his eyes. "Besides, Jaleena was different! Just you go... do whatever. Squall. Squall, are you going, too?" His eyes look at the engineer who's standing there with zir hands at the hem of zir top, considering.

Amarath-header
    With her boots off, Amarath pushes off her pants and underwear, then stands while whipping off her top. Seems to be a well-practiced maneuver. "Last one in the water is a stinky piece of Bantha poodoo!" she starts for the door, her feet slapping on the deck.

Jojee's decision is made, she's trying to catch up. Hosk stalks off towards his room, but Squall looks at you.

Squall looks to you, "We can't go into battle unless our fearless captain leads the way, right? C'mon. I'll do it if you will."

The ramp door is starting to open. Jojee's pulling off her top, but looking at you to see if you're coming.

I consider. It's possible that the prospect of three attractive, wet females (well, two and a half, but...) is just what my brain needs to convince me to finally do this. The sight of Jojee working out of her top pushes me over the edge.

"Well, kriff me, but I guess I am this stupid, after all."

I sit down and take off my boots. Darkal will be astonished.
  • Squall giggles and starts stripping out of zir clothes alongside you. Yes, ze keeps peeking at your, hem, natural gifts. Ze makes a little approving noise when you stand up. You've seen zir in very little, but there is something appealing about zir body nude. The tattoos run the course of zir trim frame, as do a number of interesting scars.

As you all four start running out for the cliffs, tell me, Ladro. Who are you watching the most?

It's even more specific than "who". It's "what." I mean, I knew that Jojee's, ah, space heinie was spectacular. It's not like she wears loose pants, and she's rubbed it up against me during a few of our more spectacular dancing moment, but by the Force, it's a thing of beauty in its natural state.

That's not to say that I'm not enjoying the view as a whole. There's certainly a great deal to admire. Poor Hosk.

We get to the edge and I grab a handful of grass, throw it off and watch it shoot up. Better than looking down. It is a long way down.
  • Squall jogs up behind you, probably watching you run like you're watching Jojee. Despite their mad dash, Amarath and Jojee both stop at the edge of the cliff, they're looking down at the rocks and the waves far below. Waiting. Either for you, or for courage.

When you want to jump from the Soaring Peaks, roll+Cool. On a hit, choose options. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 10+, you get all three.
    * You look awesome doing it
    * You don't get hurt
    * You feel amazing afterwards, take a +1 Forward

On a miss, you chicken out, just can't do it.
  • Jump from the Soaring Peaks.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 13)
  • You charge ahead, leading the way. You know if you stop like they did, you might lose your nerve. Squall digs in behind you, and ze grabs Amarath's hand as ze runs by, pulling the cyborg off the cliff, too. Amarath yelps in surprise, but doesn't yank away. Seeing Amy beating her, Jojee hops off and screams on the way down.

The wind rushes past you, and in seconds you get it, figuring out how to manage the current, just like Darkal told you, spreading your arms a bit and feeling the air whoosh as your descent slows. You're still falling, but you can rotate around, even control it a bit.

Of course, you twist to look behind you. Squall's pulled zirself up to Amarath and ze's got zir hands in Amy's hair, pulling her mouth in for a kiss. They curl together for a brief second and Squall laughs soundlessly while the wind takes zir voice up to the top of the cliff.

Jojee seems to have a knack for this, being a pilot. However, instead of floating, she leans forward, head down, and pushes her arms out and together like some trid star superhero, flying straight down. She wants to see if she can catch you, even with your headstart.

In the end, she realizes it's too close to the ground, and pulls back. Amy playfully pushes Squall away before you hit the water. For one moment, here in this fall, Amy so genuinely, so true, Amy is smiling, her one remaining eye wide not from mania, but to see. She's part of a crew, her girl-friend/whatever just laid one on her, and she just jumped off the soaring cliffs. She's in heaven, Ladro.

SPLOOSH!

Your body hits the water soft, like a dive in a pool, and you swim to the surface as one-two more bodies hit the water near you. As you're nearing the surface, Jojee comes crashing into the water less than a foot away. She hits the water and sees you, grabbing your ankle as the force of the fall is still breaking in the water. Jojee adjusts her body underwater and literally climbs up your body, pulling you slightly down in the process.

When Jojee reaches a point where she is looking in your eyes, bubbles escape her mouth as she giggles a trace. Then, she pushes her body against you and kisses you. Full on the mouth, her body mashing against you, a hand snaking down to your space heinie. Tongue darts in for a saltwater invasion and you hear her muffled laughter when she pulls back and swims up and away from you, breaking the surface first.

What do you do?

Adrenaline courses through me. I've never been a danger junkie, never sought it out even though it's been part of my job. I can see the appeal, though, especially at this moment. I strike up after Jojee and break the surface with a gasp and a laugh.

As to the kiss... I make one of my patented split-second command decisions. "What happens at the bottom of the cliff stays at the bottom of the cliff." After I say that, I grab Jojee around the waist, feeling her smooth wet skin against mine. For just a moment, I look her in the eye, moving my mouth closer. Then, of course, I dunk her. To be clear, I'm delaying, not avoiding, the next kiss.
  • Jojee lets out a surprised whoop, and goes down. She did NOT expect that. You're mostly focused on her, but your peripheral vision picks up on Squall and Amarath wading toward the shore, and they seem close together.

Jojee
    When Jojee comes up for air again, she swims over close, hair in her eyes, "You sleemo! Boys don't dunk me after a kiss. Doesn't anyone tell you the rules?" She grabs your neck and pulls you in for a kiss. She's probably going to try and dunk you, Ladro. What do you do?

"I'm not most boys, Jojee. And I scoff at rules. You know that." I accept the kiss, lean into it, but I'm not giving her the upper hand here. I take the opportunity to grab my own handful of space heinie, and it's as good as I imagine. After a few seconds of kissing, I feel Jojee tense to make her move, and I shift to preempt it. She's going down. Well, under water at least.
  • Act Under Fire

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 8)
  • You both go under, limbs tangled in a dunking mess. It's enough to prove she won't sneak the upper hand, but it seems to have stopped the kissing for a bit. You swim apart and surface.

Jojee
    "You..." she says as she treads water. "One of these days, Cap." She laughs, and then splashes you. She starts swimming towards the shore, asking "How are we getting back up there? Think Hosk would pilot the Margin to get us?"

On the shore Squall's laying on top of Amarath, the two of them kissing and holding each other as small waves come up around them.

"If it's still there, someone installed a rickety, winch-driven lift platform just a bit to the south from here. We'd have to go up one at a time, and probably pray a bit along the way, but I'd rather not be obligated to grumpyboots for picking us up." It's been a while since I've been swimming. It feels good.
    Squall laughs a little, "Grumpyboots? Oh Captain, I think that is the best nickname for Hosk ever!" Ze's still on top of Amarath, the cyborg has spread her legs slightly while looking up at Squall. Squall, for zir part, is looking over at you, and Jojee.

Jojee's just started walking out of the water. She does that model thing of whipping her long hair over her back. It's kriffing amazing, Ladro. Oh, and you think Squall's slipped a hand down to start rubbing Amarath. Ze isn't making it obvious, but well, you see it. You're not blind.

I chuckle, low. "Jojee, let's swim over and check out the lift, make sure it's still operational. You just reminded me that we wouldn't have any way of signalling Hosk to pick us up, even if we wanted to." I gesture at all of us.

I don't want to squelch Squall and Amy's moment, but I also don't particularly want to watch it. Also, it might be nice to have a few more minutes that stay at the bottom of the cliff, as it were. "Join us in a bit?"
  • Squall agrees wordlessly as ze continues caressing Amarath. Amarath's eye is unfocused and she seems a bit taken by Squall's sudden amorous affection. The two of them are in their own little world.

Jojee
    As you're swimming over to the lift, Jojee asks, "That jump was amazing, Cap. Didn't expect Amy to up the ante... but I guess I should learn to."

"It's one of her gifts. When she was twelve, she convinced every single boy under the age of seventeen in our village, and most of the girls, to run through the Elders' meeting wearing nothing but body paint and silly hats. Yes, me included."
  • Jojee
    Jojee snickers, "Alright, you have to tell me what your hat looked like." She works her way up out of the water, and she knows you're looking.

The lift is still there. You've never seen it from this angle before. What worries you about it?

I take a moment to admire Jojee as I join her on the narrow strip of sand. She knows I'm looking, so I might as well take advantage. We both turn our attention to the lift, and she makes a sort of quizzical grunt.

To be clear, on Kiffar we're good with wood. But this wood is old. That isn't necessarily bad. Some of our lumber has nearly the tensile strength of steel and lefarno wood, in particular, tightens with age, as long as it doesn't dry out too much. This lift is not made from lefarno. It gives every appearance of being frail, repaired and patched up by generations of idiots like me.

"That isn't pretty," I say, nodding my chin toward the lift, then smack Jojee's tight, beautiful space heinie. "That, however, is."
  • Jojee
    She grins, reaching back to smack it once herself. It bounces back, supple, muscle underneath smooth skin, "Isn't it? Hours toning and working for that." She looks at the lift, a bit worried.

Back at the little beach of sand, you can hear light panting under the sound of the waves. Amarath didn't last very long, it seems.
  • edited January 2015

I put my hand on Jojee's hip, turning her toward me. "Worth the effort, Jo. So, as long as we might die getting back up to the Margin, no reason not to indulge ourselves for another minute or two, right?"

To be clear, I'm ready for a "no" and I'll accept it without hurt or comment, but my head's still swimming from the circumstances and the amazing leap into nothing. Now I wonder why I never did that before.
  • Jojee
    Your pilot looks at you for a long moment, considering."Well.... Lee always did say you were a fabulous kisser. I wasn't really paying attention to that when I was trying to dunk you. So. Lay one on me, Cap."

"You know, Jo... You don't call a boy 'Cap' before he kisses you. Don't you know the rules?"
  • Jojee
    She closes the distance between you, a hand drifting down between you and her, playfully brushing against your manhood, "Alright. Then, lay one on me, Ladro. Before the moment dies." Her eyes dance and she smiles at you in expectation.

I definitely respond to that light touch. When I've imagined being with Jojee, it's always been more of a delicious battle than a flirt or a romance, and that instinct is what takes over now. I grab her hair, pull her head back hard and meet her with a kiss that contains that full kilometer of fall, the anxiety of seeing my family again, my confusion and anger at the situation with Sark. Even my deeper longing for my kitten.
  • Jojee
    She sucks in a breath of surprise at the sudden direct moves you make, but it's overtaken with delight as you fiercely kiss her. She arches her back and twists just slightly so that her left nipple rubs along your chest. Her right hand touches your shoulder, while her left... well, her left gently touches you somewhere else. It's still playful, she seems very, very interested in this kiss, but not immediately ready for escalation. Not quite yet.

You hear Amarath moaning louder. It seems Squall isn't quite done with her.

I'm not going to escalate, much. I move my pelvis back just enough to make me regretful, but finish the kiss with a nip of teeth on lip. "There'll be a time, you and me, when we're facing certain death. I'll pay off on that promise then. Let's see if we can get this rickety thing working."
  • Jojee
    Jojee chuckles as she slips out of your grasp. "If we're facing certain death, I'm kriffing Amy. She'll be more thankful. Plus, Squally says she has attachments. But, you're a close second, Cap." She takes a few quick steps ahead to the lift, feet kicking up slight bits of white sand, then takes a look at the lift.

"How does it work?"

"There's a winch." Just for fun, since we're still at the bottom of the cliff, I slap her naked space heinie. "Not a wench, but a winch. That crank supposedly operates it from down here. More leverage up top, so whoever goes first should be willing to crank. It's not sophisticated, and I'm not entirely sure it won't collapse, but the principles are sound. I'm heaviest, I think, although I don't know about Amy's enhancements. I should go last."
  • Jojee
    When you slap her butt again, she spins around. She listens to your wench information, then reaches down to cup your balls in her hand. She smiles as she says, "One more slap on my magnificent space heinie, and you just might regret it. Captain." She squeezes gently, then lets go.

"Just imagine, Jojee. Imperial blasters trained on our position. We're pinned down, and Amarath is in the next building over, holding off her own contingent of Troopers with Squall and Hosk. The charge on our blasters is near zero, but there's a sudden cessation of fire from the bad guys. They're waiting for reinforcements because we are just that dangerous, but we both know it's hopeless in the end..." I chuckle. "Yeah, okay, we tried. It was a good kiss, yes?"
  • Jojee
    She gets onto the lift and waits for you to start working it, listening to your dramatic situation. With a grin, she says, "If we end up in that situation, Cap. I promise to blow your mind. We will both die happy. And yes, it was a great kiss. Now get me back to my karking ship, yeah?"

"Your ship? Just because I'm naked doesn't mean I'm not wearing the pants in this family" I start cranking the winch, wincing as the mechanism creaks. "No worries, I'm sure it will be fine."

As I crank Jojee farther up the cliff, I shout out, "Squall! Time to move. Amarath, you too! Vacation's done for now."
  • Amarath-header
    You hear Amarath first, "Ladro! C'mon, man! I was about to hit number...number four!"

You see Squall come jogging up. Ze has sand on zir elbows and zir tummy. Ze wipes at zir mouth with the back of zir hand and chuckles, calling back over zir shoulder to Amarath, "C'mon, Amy! Thought you were always first!"

Jojee
    Jojee pulls at the line a bit to test it, then quips to Squall, "Technically, she did come first, right? heh"

Squall prances up to kiss your cheek lightly, then stands nearby, hands clasped in front of zir. Amarath comes walking up lazily, with that sultry move she likes to use sometimes. She looks like a very self-satisfied sabercat.

Amarath-header
    With a slow, mocking drawl and a smile, "I see you're sporting some wood there, Ladro. Did you strike out with Purple? Or can you just not handle this much sexy lady all at once?"

With a smirk of my own, I answer, "The three of you are a lot of sexy all at once, Amy." With a last quick check, the lift is as ready as it's going to be. "Alright, who's first up? There's a crank at the top, too, so it should be quicker after the first passenger."
  • Amarath-header
    "I should go. I can pull quicker with my arm than any of you." Squall doesn't seem to mind.

Jojee
    "I can't argue with that. Even if I'd like to."

"Hop on, then, and we'll start cranking."

When she does, I start turning the handle of the winch. Once Amy's a few meters up, I tell Jojee and Squall, "I'm not too proud to admit that I'm not going to get her all the way up by myself. We'll all probably have to take shifts."
  • Jojee and Squall nod, no reproach from either of them. Now that the excitement of the jump is over, this work ahead of you, the nudity loses some of it's novelty. Jojee's still smoking hot, but she's not trying to be sexy now, just waiting her turn, and then cranking. Squall's smaller without clothes, and zir body is criss-crossed with scars. Some look ritualized, others look like ze's taken many beatings. been in a number of fights as well.

Working together, you get Amy up to the top. She calls down and starts working the crank as soon as the next being boards. Who's next?

I'll go second, because I'm heaviest and it will be faster with hands at both the top and bottom. Squall will be third, and Jojee last.

The trip up is nerve-wracking. Every creak of the wood and the groan of the ropes as they take my weight sounds like a cry of pain. Or surrender. I'm hoping not surrender.
  • Your arms are screaming by the time Jojee comes up. Squall was really light, by the way. Ze tries to help pull, but with three beings at the top, ze ends up squeezing against you.

Can Hosk see you out there from the ship? I mean, if he looked.

If Hosk is looking, he certainly does catch an eyeful. Amy in back, anchoring and pulling hardest with her cyber arm. Squall in the middle, trying to help but pressed up against me from behind. Me in front pulling the platform and Jojee up hand-over-hand.
  • Amarath-header
    As you finish the last few feet of pulling Jojee before your pilot clmbers up out of the lift, Amarath grumbles, "Was more fun going down than coming up."

Squall's hand brushes against yours on the line, for the tenth time, "Hush, grumpy. Or there won't be a repeat performance."

Jojee makes her way up, getting a little muddy trying to climb up the last bit. She hops up and laughs, looking down at herself. The four of you make your way back to the Profit Margin, a bit tired, but the vacation certainly seemed to lighten spirits. Amy's still smiling. Squall's still checking you out a little bit.

Everyone splits up once you get back on board. Split up for refresher and clothes. Anything else to do before Jojee threads the needle?

Nope. Once I'm clean, I dress in the Kiffar clothes that Darkal added when he shipped the belongings my crew left behind to me at Gristone. They're not rustic or folksy, but rather the modern evolution. A cream silk shirt, loose dark trousers made from a soft but tough synthetic, and a leaf-green belted tunic. I wear my own boots, and in a moment of defiance I tuck the strip of cloth that was once Ahji Dar's blindfold into my belt.
  • Jojee slips through the spaces between traffic and sonar lanes in the woods of Kiffu to bring you to the landing spot you point out. We pick up with you walking off the ship and through the woods to your home.

photo Kiffu_zps092af860.jpg
    You pass over an old stone bridge. You used to play here as a kid, with Darkal. There was a time when you played with Amarath here, too. What was the game you played? Who quit before the game was over?

It was Hide and Seek, and Amarath was the one that quit. Got bored and headed to find more interesting trouble. I had the best hiding spot ever, but when I finally realized that Amy couldn't possibly be trying to find me I wound up being three hours late for dinner.

I didn't play Hide and Seek with Amy after that.
  • After the bridge, you pass near the little space where you met Ahji Dar. What was it? Two months ago? Longer? How fresh is that memory? How clearly do you remember your declaration of love, hedged as it was?

A short walk from there is the lovely home of your birth. Darkal is waiting outside. He's been waiting for a little while, but he's still calm, still watchful. He waves when he sees you approach.

It occurs to me that I was more fully open about my feelings for Ahji Dar with my mother, even in the midst of her fury, than I truly was with my kitten herself. The specific words were eroded by the confrontation that followed, but I remember Ahji's fierceness, her wish to keep me safe from harm. I pause for a moment at that spot, calming my breathing and preparing my heart.

When Darkal waves, I walk up to him. "Finally jumped off the cliff, brother. The trip down is much more enjoyable than the trip back up."
  • edited January 2015
    Darkal-header
    A grin splits his handsome face. "Congratulations, Ladro!" He strides forward to meet you, pulling you into a fierce hug. He squeezes once, then turns to slide a friendly arm around you. "Baba's prepared some Kitoweo na mbuzi na mboga." He pauses, "Well, it's reheated, since he only had an hour, but he insisted on freshening it up and making a few bowls for you." He opens the door, and the warmth of your home fills you.

You know your father is inside. But so is your mother. What do you do?

I have stolen from criminals, breached Imperial holding facilities, faced countless blasters, and recently jumped off a kilometer-high cliff, naked. Crossing this threshold is more difficult than all of those things. The smell of the stew beckons, though, and the familiar comforts of home. I straighten my shoulders and step inside, trying not to look as if I'm on my way to my own execution.
  • Baba
    Your father comes out from the kitchen when you enter, moves up to hug you, "Mwana, you look good! Come, come, eat. It is only leftovers, but take all that you like." He's trying to lead you to the dining room.

I want to linger in that hug, but I don't. I follow baba into the dining room, drawn by the familiar scent and his warm presence.
  • There in the small, cozy dining room sits your mother. She is seated with arms crossed, waiting.

Baba
    "Your mother wishes to dine with you, Ladro. Do you not?" Your father says quickly when you stiffen. You barely notice the feast laid out on the wide table in the dim candlelight.

"Yes," your mother says in that clipped tone. "Please join us, for this one meal, my prodigal son."

Darkal-header
    "Mama!" Darkal says quickly, "You offer peace with words, but your heart is not glad for your son. Your mwana! Shame. Shame on you for this."

Your mother huffs a breath, then casts her eyes downward, seemingly defeated, or outnumbered. "Please. Please do join us, Ladro." The tone is softer.

What do you do?

The kitchen must've been a whirlwind, whether or not the stew is leftovers. Boiled karanga, quick-pickled fern shoots, all the delicacies are laid out like a peace offering, and yet mama's tone seems chastened by Darkal's rebuke rather than welcoming. Nevertheless, I'm here, and there's no way I'm leaving before I taste baba's cooking.

I take a seat on a low stool and bow my head in thanks for the food. "Thank you, mama. It is good to be home once again."

• The food is quickly served by your mother, which means Baba cooked most of it. Conversation dissipates as Darkal and Baba seem hungry. Your mother eats lightly, mostly looking at her food, not making eye contact with her family. She sits very tight, almost like a coiled snake.

After most of you finish a serving, Baba sits back with a glass of wine. It's a new vintage.

Baba
    "Ladro," he begins, using that warm tone he has for you. "Darkal told me you left with Amarath. And that she's still traveling with you. How is she?"