[FURY] How Green (August 1.3, Bon 1.1)

edited June 2015 in Fury

Bon,
Shy comes around a few minutes after you have Tally situated, and she starts working with Mox after he returned from dumping the machine. They have it handled, so you can go to see the growers about your offered food and some supplies.

August,
Union agrees to come with you. You leave the stadium to grab our h-bike, zip down to Bon's, only to have Shy tell you she went up to the growers on tippy tops, where the sun comes in from the sides but the roof hides plants from the crimson rains.

Both,

You're in the greenhouse, where there's a goodly amount of glass used to protect the plants from winds and rain. Enough food is grown here to feed the gangs and Admiral's people. Everyone else has to trade from what's left. Right now, both of you have been let in to the greenhouse while Union stays outside, they're not SafeCo, so they are held back by the one guard up here.

Bon, you're able to gather food and some of your supplies, but you'll have to head over to the window boxes by SeaTac's place to get the few plants needed for your special remedies. They grow in shade better. You see August enter the greenhouse, heading for you.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I leave Union with Drumma and my bike.

I take a circuitous route towards Bon, looking carefully at the different herbs and plants that I vaguely recognize. I pocket a handful of mint, enjoy the sharp, clean smell that fills my mouth when I grind one of the leaves.

Bon makes me self-conscious.

When I get close, I end up blurting out, "Where do they grow the white lace?" Aside from herbs for cooking, the only other thing I really know about plants is the stuff that brings your period early, stop you from getting pregnant. Useful, they are. HM used to have folks who harvested it by the bushel. Now I get it from Bon.
  • edited June 2015
    photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

I cannot say what it is that makes me look up to see August making her way along the plants. Intuition perhaps. The same instinct that the prey feels for the hunter.

Immediately I am at war with myself, drawn to her by the undertow of my ridiculous and untowardly strong feelings for her, and at the same time ready to flee like the prey animal to some place of safety and comfort.

But she, like all the Arrows, occupies the rain field between family and friend to me. It is not her fault that I, like many others more worthy than I in consequence and any other measure one might care to name, are so taken. No…retreat and escape are impossible. Enduring, with as much grace as I can muster, is the only real option, is it not?

I swallow and can feel my right hand fidgeting, finger and thumb sliding together in a nervous rhythm as I watch sidelong for her to complete her approach while I pretend to inspect a plant. She takes the long way around, her elegant and seductive form weaving among the plants. It helps not at all that this very setting has served as the backdrop for a persistent and troublesome erotic dream featuring this sublime creature. One that has wakened me shuddering from dead sleep more than once and now tortures me with fragmentary images that bring heat to my face.

How I must look. My hair bound tightly as usual, my garments practical, somewhat shapeless, and dully modest, covering all but hands and face. Blood still staining my sleeves. Darker stains of older blood.

I’m startled when she speaks. I had been staring into nothing, lost in my contemplation. I gape foolishly for a moment, eyes darting about to get my bearings.

“Oh!....Um… White Lace… Yes, of course. ’Tis over there, the window boxes, on the right. Come...” I give her a quick, small smile, and begin to move that direction then suddenly feel concerned. I look over my shoulder."Are you well?"

I blink, glance down at myself, back at Bon. "Oh, I'm right as rock. Just not every day I end up in the greenhouse with you, so thought I'd ask." Return the smile.

I follow Bon to the window box, being sure to dodge fertilizer and pottery with my boots. A couple times I unconsciously reach out to touch Bon's elbow, her side, as I would anyone else. But just before I do, I snatch my fingers back, shake my head at myself. Bon is of finer stuff than the usual knaves and thieves I rub skins with, should be treated as such.

"Shy told me you were here. So I came. I might have brought over an opportunity, just now. On your bike, riding pillion," I say eventually.
  • edited June 2015

I walk to the window box, intensely aware. Waiting although my hope, encouraged by a fevered dream, is faint. But as I expect, it does not come. Were I Dog, August would have touched me three times, perhaps four just crossing this space. Were I anyone else… at least twice. But no, I am me.

I scold myself for foolishness as I reach out with the small knife, trimming portions of the white lace. Enough to be useful. I shake my head slightly as I hand her cuttings.

“‘Tis not my bike any longer, nor was it ever, truly, as my feet have a decided preference for solid earth. Surely you or another Arrow should have claimed it as her own by now? But peace to that. What, pray, is the opportunity that so seeks me out?”

• edited June 2015
    I fall back as we reach the window box -- our physicality is too strained, I can't find the sweet spot. I tie up my hair and start working the well pump. Best thing about coming to the greenhouse is getting cleaned up a bit.

I decide not to tell her about the good-luck cross that I've carved between the handlebars of my bike, beneath Drumma's perch. "She's mine, sure, but she still remembers you," I shrug. I haven't named the bike, like some of the others, but she's got some personality. Solid and sweet as anything -- and she didn't get that from me.

"I made an artisan at the Yacht Club earlier," I say over the pump creaking. "Called Union. A glassblower."

There's finally enough water in the bucket to bathe. I pull off my shirt, wet a rag and start to wipe the grit off.

"Really fine work, made me think of some of the jars and beakers and things you have in your kit. They're good people, sorta gentle-like. Maybe you'd be open to meeting them, maybe getting them set up in a shop by you? Or whatever you think is best. As a favor." I didn't talk about this with Union before, but I know they'd be better off in their own shop than having to give Millions her cut from selling in Pikes.

• photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

Oh, by the bloody storm.

Somehow I missed the sound of the pump, being excessively focused on my clipping. After turning, I freeze, my breath catching in my throat at the vision of clean water, shining skin and lithe curves in front of me. My errant visions redouble their assault. After what feels like an eternity of my heart beating in my ears, I finally blink away. I carefully set the lace on the edge of the windowbox and determinedly return to gathering other ingrediants while trying to restablish some semblence of calm breathing. I’m hoping my blush is not too apparant.

I clear my throat, nodding as I cut.

“Of course I will meet with them and see what may be arranged, since you ask it. I have little control over their setup within Safeco, however. That is Admiral’s authority, though I would be happy to lend my support to their petition once we have talked.”

• edited June 2015
    The initial silence in response to my request worried me so much that Bon's eventual assent took my off guard. "Thank you," I say simply, trying to think of a way to make sure she knew how much I appreciated it. Union just seemed like such a good person, not unlike Bon. It made me want to take care of them, but that wasn't really something I knew how to do. Bon did, though.

The way she looks away from me gives me a pang, of sorts. I don't know what that feeling is. But it hurts a little, behind my ribs.

I crouch, squeeze the rag clean, immerse it again in the water. Repeat. I watch Bon's busy hands as she works.

When she is done, I squeeze water over my face, let it run down where it may. Stand, still dripping. Breeze cool on my exposed skin.

"Give me your hands," I say.

It is make-work of course, giving August time to finish her bath and I pray she does so quickly. It is soon apparant that whatever diety listens to the voices of we poor mortals is taking impish pleasure in my torment. She lingers and I run out of ingredients to gather without waste from this area, though I have taken pains to make my cuts precise enough to please even Elder Marsa, which surely has not been done in the history of this world before.

I busy myself arranging the herbs as I steel myself to look at her again, to gain the proper detachment. ’Tis but a body, a vessel, a machine only, like the one Mox disassembled not long ago. Organs, tissues, blood and bone.

I look up again and my conviction wavers in the face of reality. a machine perhaps, but such a machine. Inhabited by an essence of fierce grace such that the bearers of wrath would have preserved the world had they seen her.

Then she asks for my hands. Shelter me from being touched my her in such a state, I shan’t lose all my dignity nor burden her by revealing this… This abominable foolishness.

“You are pleased to be kind my friend!” I blurt, an over large smile, for me, tense upon my face. “Alas,there is more yet to do here. I would not wish to wash ere I was finished and we should trespass no longer on the patience of our guest.”

I turn quickly and head for the door she came from

Where the artisan, presumably, awaits.

• edited June 2015
    I shake my head slightly towards Bon's retreating back, wondering, then bring my cloth back against my own forehead, wring it out. Use it to wrap up the white lace, now forgotten by Bon, fold it into my pocket.

As she steps through the door, I stretch, watching her go. Pull my shirt back over my shoulders, let down my shell-and-feather-braided locks. Both Union and the guard likely got an eyeful, but it's not something I have much regard for.

"Yes," I try to remind myself as I follow her. "Patience is a virtue."
  • Bon and August,

The guard and Union did get an eyeful. Union has looked away, but the guard watched every last moment of it. Bon, you see that half-smile on his face, know he watched what you wanted to see, but didn't allow yourself to indulge.

Union
    Union awaits you both. They nod graciously, "Hullo, Bon. Thank you for seeing me. My friend August here has told me you have needs for good glass beekers and other wares for your healing salves, unguents and poultices. I am Union, the glass-blower. I would be more than glad to create that which you need." Their eyes look hopefully to you.

You notice that Union is dressed in what was once respectable clothing, well-made. But the shirt, the pants, they are aged and worn now. Still clean, and what sweat Union has on their body is covered by a light perfumed oil, smelling lavender. It is obvious Union has seen better days, but keeps in as good order as they can manage.

What do you do?
  • edited June 2015

I glare pointedly at the guard, mouth thin and tense. An expression I'm sure he finds unfamiliar. Most are not unwise enough to displease their healer.

My expression is more serene when I approach Union. As serene as possible when I'm still painfully aware of the awkward exit I just used with August. I must meditate on this. I had thought time away from the Arrows would lessen my... excessive feelings, but clearly that has not yet happened.

I bow my head to Union when they great me.

"I am honoured and most pleased to make your acquaintance, Union. My friend spoke truly that I have need of such things. I have vessels of most peculiar design that must be made so that I may improve my medicines."

I reach into one of my many pockets and pass along a thin piece of metal, the edges curled tightly back, into which I have etched what I remember of the vessels from the Medicae's alchemical laboratory.

I point to one particularly complicated example.

"Have you the skill to make such a thing?"
  • Bon and August,

The guard, a grimy man with a ruddy beard that is as much rain-stained as blonde, looks away from you, Bon, shirking from your glare.

Union
    Union moves forward, reaching with a finely manicured and clean hand to run fingers over the piece of metal. Their eyes scan the surface, a soft sound like a hum emanating from Union. "Yes," they begin slowly, the word measured. "It may take some tries, but the design is interesting. I can make this." They look up at you with cool blue eyes. "I would very much like to make this. For you." They glance over at you, August, hopeful that you're still supporting them.

What do you do?
    I give a small nod back to Union, but wait for Bon's response. To give them a little space, I walk over to my h-bike, extend my hand slowly towards Drumma before carefully preening the feathers on the top of her head towards her beak. When she trills a little, quiet-like, I know she'd had her fill.

"What's your name?" I ask the guard, sizing him up.
  • August,

Here's a cleaned-up pic of the guard:
    Seaward

The man seems almost bashful when he answers, "I'm Seaward." He's aware of Bon's ire, but you feel how his eyes are drawn, how they want to look at you. "I heard yer story on the longfellow. Was funny as hell." That brings a whisper of a smile, but then he sidles over to the door again.

“Very good.” I smile, though I’m tracking that August has chosen to engage the impudent guardsman.“And I should very much like to have it made. What, then, would be the payment? Do you or yours require care? Or perhaps I might sponsor you into Safeco.”

I laugh. "I don't tell that one often, can't keep a straight face. Well met, Seaward. I will see you around." I give him a little smile and then circle back to Bon and Union.

I look from Bon's agreement to Union, genuinely curious what they'll say. I'd truly been speaking out of turn when I'd asked Bon to look after their place in Safeco.
  • Bon and August,

Seaward resumes his bored stance, doesn't seem interested in your conversations.

Union
    "I would very much like an examination, Miss Bon." Union answers politely. "I reside in Pike and am comfortable, but some business here, with a respectable Angel such as you, would be excellent for me. If you could provide me with care for the first batch of glasses, that would be a fair trade, in my eyes. If I am ill, we can make other arrangements, but I am not very fluid at the moment, so trade is my preference." They look to you again, August, thankful for this chance.
  • edited June 2015

“That seems quite reasonable. If you are as capable as I believe you to be, Union, our association may be a long one. Should you require new accommodation in the future I hope you will not hesitate to request my assistance.”

I look to August to see that this meets with her approval, then back at Union.

“Now then, when is an examination conveinient for you?”

I'm feeling really chuffed, the way this is working out. Sometimes you try to do a nice thing and it blows up in your face. You end up with unhappy campers and no eyelashes for three weeks. But this seems to have gone real well.

I just smile back at both of them, shuffle my feet. End up leaning against my bike while they figure out the details.
  • Bon and August,

Union
    Union smiles brightly, "Oh Bon, I am so elated in your trust and offer to help me. It is rare to find good people, and here, I have met two!" They look to each of you in turn. "I would like to show you the books I mentioned earlier, August. Would you offer me a ride to Pike? If so, I would be willing to part with some of the collection to you as payment for your many generosities today." Union nods, then looks to you, Bon. "My health seems fair now. I would like to crack at the drawing, and return to you for a checkup. Is this good?"

What do you do?
  • edited June 2015

August’s smile is perhaps the best reward, but Union’s enthusiasm is vey nice.

“You are most kind. ’Tis indeed good, and I look forward with pleasure to our next meeting. Now, if you both will kindly excuse me, I have more tasks to perform. May your fortunes be dry and your hearts content.”

I bow slightly again, turn and catch August’s eye, nod and give her a smile before moving again toward the greenhouse. A thank you, an apology.

• Bon,

Union watches you leave while Seaward looks away, opening the door without a word. Once you're done with gathering supplies from the Greenhouse, what else do you need to do?
  • edited June 2015
    I hold my hand up in a silent goodbye as the door closes between me and Bon. I'll figure out how to thank her later.

I get back on my bike and tap the back seat in an invitation to Union. Whistle a note to Drumma and let her play-peck at my hair. "Sure thing." When they're on and we're cutting through air on the way to Pike, I say, "That seemed to go well."
  • August,

Drumma nests on your head until you mount the h-bike, then flies ahead, and high. Union hesitantly puts their arms around you, but once done, they seem to enjoy the moment, as well as the wind in their hair.

Union
    "Yes, it did!" Union says loudly in your ear. "I am ever thankful. You are a delight!"

Union's shop is also their home. The ground floor is concrete with metal-reinforced walls around the huge black iron stove they use for glass blowing. Above is their flat, a modest arrangement with a hand-stitched mattress and several file cabinets converted for storage. Union shares half of their collection of the Tales of Snikt and Bamf, colorful books with more art than words. They beg you to come back around to read with them. And, for once, it seems that the offer isn't laden with a desire for copulation, but a genuine desire to read and share the stories.

Once you take your leave of Union, please go here.
    "Of course I'll return. And perhaps, if I find any other books, you'll read them to me?"

Union's tales intrigue me, as does their company. When we part, it is a pleasant feeling.

I prove unable to stay in the greenhouse much longer. I make the effort but now I have the real image of a vibrant August with the water trickling down her magnificent body and holding her hands out to me in invitation. In fact, I depart not long after I hear the h-bike fly away, my only hesitation outside the demesne of Seatac, as I consider and almost immediately dismiss the prospect of speaking to him about what happened between us.

But no, I have already been tried thoroughly this day. Once I deliver the supplies back to the infirmary and give Mox and Shy instructions, I shall take my small kit and strike forth again. There are families to check on, and the Admiral himself too. But first I shall go to the club and talk to Valentine. Ze is the closest thing to a confidant I have and perceptive, with zir elegant fingers on the pulse of Safeco. It will help me settle myself again.

• edited June 2015

Bon,

I'm curious. How's the health of the hold going? With all this wet and rot and mold, is it a struggle? What's the most recent disease you helped cure here?
  • edited June 2015

It is a struggle. The drier people are, generally, the better their health. dryness is in short supply and the constant lung infections weaken my charges, and make them vulnerable to other disease. The very young and very old are the most vulnerable of course. This is not even considering long term effects of drinking even mildly bloody water, or being exposed to some concentration of it with an open wound.

The last major desease outbreak was the influenza crisis. It actually killed my predecessor, Admiral’s personal healer who I had only begun to work with. She was very good for how little she truly knew of the machine. The flu weakened her and many others to the point of pneumonia, then the combination killed them.

I heard the rumors, of course, that I had permitted or even encouraged poor Grip to succumb to her infection. It helped not at all that fortune wa with me near the end of the crisis and I was able to save many.

Bon,

As you climb the stairs to the Yacht Club, you find a man waiting for you. He looks like this:
    Pine

His name is Pine, he's one of Harbormaster's prize "workers". How do you know him, Bon?

He's waiting for you, it seems. He was about to head down the stairs, but stops to wait for you, saying, "Oh, there you are, Bonny." He offers a small smile, but he never smiles wide since he's had a few teeth pulled. It took a while for Harbormaster to break him.

What do you do?

Seeing Pine is something of a surprise. It can only mean that his master, a truly lothesome creature, is hereabout.

I smile in return.

“Indeed here I am. And there you are, you handsome fellow. The question of your presence is more mysterious than my own, is it not?”

While running with the Arrows scratch had to be made. Poor Pine contracted an infection from the tooth pulling and of course the Harbormaster has no use for dead stock. I stayed with him almost a week, under guard, and in the dead of the third night, when he was finally on the mend and lucid, I offered him death as an escape. He thought about it hard before he chose instead to live. He started calling me ’Bonny’ at that time. One humors the sick in small things. Thus, to my chagrin, the name stuck.

• edited June 2015
    Bon,

Pine
    Pine narrows his eyes, his smile fades as he takes in your words like each one is of the utmost importance. "I know far too much but not enough of you to admit to being the most mysterious, Bonny. I am staying here, for now. This is good. I have missed your company. Are you well? Do you wear new names?" Each sentence is delivered in his lilting tone, pleasant though the words are troubling.

When you reach the top of the stairs, he offers an arm, as if he'd escort you where you're going.

I hesitate a moment, looking on him with concern. Then I take the arm, glad that I put my gloves back on after the greenhouse.

“I am as I ever was: well enough, still bearing the name of my birth and possessing a remarkable lack of mystery if I do say so myself. But how is it with you, my friend? Are you indeed quite well?”

I note his mannerisms carefully.

• edited June 2015
    Bon,

Pine
    Pine looks down at you, curious, "You've marked no new names? I'm glad." He avoids how it is with him, more interested in you. He doesn't seem well, there's a slight limp in his stride.

My eyes widen slightly. I had forgotten that he knew of the names.

I glance away. It is not usually discussed.

“Oh. I am afraid I misunderstood.” I pause, then quietly “Yes, those have accrued steadily, to my shame, though daily I strive to slow the rate of their collection. But,” I look at him again place my other hand on his arm, “You have avoided my question.” I say, voice gentle.

I shall read.

• edited June 2015
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 12)
    xp:1
  • How can I get him to open up?

Bon,

Offer to examine him. It will get him away from prying eyes and put him in your care.

At the heavy silence between us I realize he is not reluctant, but cautious.

“You said you were staying did you not? Then you must be examined for reasons of safety.” I say, meeting his eyes. “As soon as may be.”

• edited June 2015

Bon,

Pine
    Silence hangs in the air as Pine purses his lips, forming his response. He nods, "I would like that. I have little to trade, but my master will trade for your offer. He is now well placed in the hold. I do not want to bother you, you were going somewhere. I am sure tomorrow is good. Where are we going?"

Learning that Harbormaster has taken up residence is not especially welcome news, something drastic must have happened to entice him off the waterfront.

I pat Pine's arm.

"I shall never consider you a bother. I cannot say the same for others with whom you are unfortunately familiar. Our destination is the club."
  • Bon,

Pine
    "My master is there. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you." Pine says lightly.

You're waved through by the guards, they know you don't carry weapons, or at least they think they know.

Please go here.