[Fury] Snowflowers (Gates 3.1, Vignette 3.2)

edited October 2015 in Fury

Vignette,

You wake in the late morning when the sun shines through the cracked glass of the window panes that look over the Pike market. You're alone. On the space of the bed that still smells of Cujo is a single strip of old duct tape, and on the no-longer-sticky side is a simple drawing of a flower made with brownish-colored ink.

What are your new mornings like?

Comments

I wake gradually and gently, drifting for awhile in the space between wakefulness and sleep. This is the first morning since I have been here that I have not snapped awake at the first hint of light in the sky–on those nights that I slept at all. I can tell from the light on my closed eyelids that I have missed my usual breakfast and morning briefing with Jax, with its reports from the night watch of brawls and noteworthy arrivals and departures. I have also missed the morning audience, known privately to Jax and I as the Litany of Woes. Every morning, I hear complaints and requests from people of Pike. It took time to convince my new crew that I wanted to hear from common people–not just rich businessmen and representatives of powerful factions. Convincing them to forego the bribes they used to collect from those wishing an audience with Millions was more difficult. Ultimately, I had to create a separate and very exclusive weekly breakfast just to allow the crew a way to replace the bribes I will not allow them to accept for favorable positions in the morning audience.

I can hardly believe Jax would let me sleep this long–not that he has ever had to wake me before. I recall my instructions to him last night. I guess whatever else I have missed this morning does not include invasion or bloody tidal wave. I stretch extravagantly, smiling, and open my eyes. There is a moment of disappointment when Cujo’s dark eyes are not the first thing I see, and my smile fades a little. Then, I see the flower drawing she left in her place, and my smile returns. Rising from the bed, I begin my transformation from Vignette to Witch of Pike. I roll up the flower drawing and tuck it into a coat pocket. She is still here at Pike, maybe. Either way, I will see her again. The small pile cannot replace the full pile, but it has advantages of its own. Now, I will go find Jax and let him tell me how foolish I have been.

Vignette,

You find Jax sitting at a table with SueB. This is SueB, by the way:
    SueB

They're both scouring down some items that have been gunked up by recent rains. Jax is working on some rubber rings, while SueB has a brillo pad to some gears. It's quiet work, none of the complainers you normally have in the morning.

Jax
    Jax looks up from his work. "Hey, bosslady. We sent folks away this morning. They'll come bitch later, don't worry." SueB chuckles.

What do you do?

“Thank you, Jax, SueB,” I say. I want to ask where Cujo has gone, but I do not want to seem needy in front of my crew leads. Instead, I say, "I will not make a practice of sending people away. But it has been very long since I have slept so well. I appreciate your seeing to things.*

The breakfast leftovers are slim. I fill a small bowl with a cold gruel which, thanks to its tastelessness, is not as unappealing as it looks. I add the last spoonful of a cold noodle dish. Since coming to power here, the Witch of Pike has been much better for Kites’ fortunes than Vignette had been. Jax arranges staff meals from Kites at least twice a week. I sit across from Jax and eat with more relish than normal, though I cannot say the gruel should get the credit for this.

“I have been thinking on your concerns about the gangs, Jax,” I tell Jax between bites. I turn to SueB to explain. “Jax is concerned that the gangs may assume I am scrogging Cujo–an Arrow–and read some disadvantage for themselves in that,” I say in an even tone, careful to show Jax that I am not mocking his concern. “I would like your advice on this,” I say, addressing both. Short of un-scrogging Cujo, that is," I add with smile.

• edited August 2015

Vignette,

Jax
    Jax sucks his teeth, puts the rubber rings on the table, and looks up at you, "Look Bosslady, it's none of my business telling you how to live your life... but you know. Millions fought every day of his life for the right to scrog whoever he wants without having to answer to anyone." SueB chuckles at that, like she's agreeing and there's some story behind it. Jax adds, "Looks like you're pretty much doing the same thing... but you are going to have to fight for it."

SueB
    "The first soaked idiot who gives you lip about that girl," SueB chimes in, her tone harsh, "You melt their brains like you did SeaTac. Or just have one of us shoot them."

Jax narrows his eyes and shakes his head slightly at you, Vignette. He doesn't agree with SueB, but he's not going to make an issue out of it.

"Millions picked the wrong person to scrog!" I say, slamming my spoon down. He may or may not have actually raped her, but he coerced her. That much was plain. "And he did answer for it," I add coldly.

Then, for SueB's benefit, even if not for Jax's, "If his own man had not killed him, the Arrows would have. I believe August agreed to run off with him to prevent bloodshed."

I compose myself briefly, pushing back my white-blonde hair. "Speaking of preventing bloodshed," I say more calmly. "I need your help to do this. Jax is right," I say picking my spoon back up snd nodding in his direction. "I will have to fight, and not just over who I scrog and do not scrog. I need you," I say looking at both of them, "to help me hurt as few people as possible." After some deliberation, I add, but no fewer than necessary."

I meet SueB's eyes--not a glare, more a taking stock of her. "I will not 'melt minds' over insults."

Then, looking back at the two of them, I add, "But if my patience makes people bold who need to fear me or cause worse bloodshed, you will tell me?"

Vignette,

Jax
    Jax does this shrug and nod when you say he is right, and he's paying attention, like always. "Don't worry, Bosslady. If someone gets uppity, we will tamp them back down. If it's a threat, I will make sure you know." He takes a breath, like he's approaching carefully, "Millions was night. You're day. The flip from one to the other will be seen as weak. And, with all due respect, if you couldn't scramble brains, nobody would fear you."

SueB
    "Too bad you won't melt anybody, Bosslady." SueB says, unfazed by your refusal, like maybe you will someday, given the right motivation. "Watching SeaTac sputter and spit at you after was a damn treat." She chuckles and continues working on her gear, her tongue sticking out slightly as she works at a groove.

While they're both handling this with a casual air, they're not ignoring you. They're loyal so far, and you've bought their loyalty for a while.

"Be careful around SeaTac," I say in response to SueB's laugh. "He is a dangerous man. Not less dangerous after what I did to him."

I get up from the table, taking own bowl. "Not less dangerous on his own turf, I say over my shoulder as I place my bowl with the rest of the breakfast dishes. Before they have time to process this, I go on. "We need to visit Safeco. Timing, security, these are yours to recommend, Jax. It should be soon, though."

I turn to leave, then stop and turn back to them. "Hmmm... I am Day? I won't melt anybody?" Be patient. In this place, I do not think we will wait long for an opportunity."

Vignette,

Jax
    Jax starts putting his stuff away, stands up, "We should go ASAP, Bosslady. I'll get some of the guys ready for the trip."

SueB
    "Admiral's gearing up, Bosslady." SueB says, still working on her gear. "He's gonna try and take Pike. Mark my words. We need to buddy up with Tax Patrol and mount up something."

Jax
    Jax shakes his head, "You're just loving on Hatchet, SueB." She scoffs. "No, we talk first. Bosslady wants to work things out. Admiral's rattling his saber, is all."

“I agree with Jax. The Admiral is putting on a show. He wants to know if the new Mistress of Pike has any steel in her spine. More dangerous would be for him to believe otherwise. A free Pike is as valuable now as it was under Millions–in some ways, more valuable now, from the Admiral’s perspective. If we show that things are under control, and that I cannot be pushed around more than Millions, the Admiral has no motive to change the status quo.” I say all this as if rehearsed, which in a way, it is. I have told myself this over and over, especially in the dead of night.

I look at SueB with a grimace. “The Tax Patrol may not be…friendly right now.”

Vignette,

Jax
    Jax says quickly, "I'll head out now, gather up for the trip. We should leave in the afternoon." He heads for the exit.

SueB
    "Hatchet's reasonable, Bosslady." SueB says. "I know you shorted him. But if you let him in on the long game, he'll come around. I can help. He likes me. And the Tax Patrol is the strongest of the raiders, they hold the whole south. That's nothing to sneeze at."

"Thank you, Jax," I say as he leaves.

I regard SueB for a moment, wondering how much to say. "How reasonable?" I ask. "Look, I see the contradiction--call it hypocrisy if you prefer--of making a living off the raiders while hating what they do. But I do. Scavs, I have no problem with. The raiders in more desolate places are not better than the Tax Patrol. But the problem I have with the Tax Patrol, specifically, is that they prey upon people who have sought the safety of large communities. I can almost convince myself that if you live way out, on your own, you are signing up to deal with raiders. It is part of the deal. But if you live here, or Safeco, or one of the nearby settlements, and you are just trying to travel between them..." I shake my head. "Civilization cannot be just a set of armed camps, isolated from each other. The rains make travel dangerous enough. The Tax Patrol makes it worse. It make us less than we could be."

Vignette,

SueB
    "Airbody preys on somebody, Bosslady." SueB says after a moment. She puts a gear aside and moves onto the last one. "But hey, if you wanna pick nits, who'm I to say? Just keep eyes south, cause Tax Patrol may deal with Admiral if they learn to hate you. Then you got two markets. And he got lots more guns, and a bigass wall." But that's about all SueB has to say on it, for now.

Anything you're doing in preparation for a meeting with your father?
  • edited August 2015

I cover my irritation, or at least don't openly express my irritation as SueB's lecturing me on the constraints on my actions--constraints that have been my constant companions for many sleepless nights. I look at her a moment and say in a level tone, "I am happy that you and I think alike. I came to these same conclusions. Otherwise, we would not deal with the Tax Patrol."

Getting ready to leave for Safeco, I fill my coat pockets with my psy gear. While doing so, some instinct causes me to also grab the machine with my mother's voice. The only other thing I must do in preparation for leaving is to look out over Pike from my balcony, searching for that orange rocket that Cujo rides. I presume she has left Pike. We did not discuss this, though. It strikes me that she or the Arrows could be of some help in arranging a meeting with Harbormaster, not under the eyes of the Admiral...if she does not kill him. It is not because I miss her or feel insecure that she left abruptly.

Vignette,

You don't see Cujo or her bike. She's gone from Pike as far as you can tell. After an hour of packing up your stuff and hearing reports from the few people who come in to air grievances and ask about changes to the market, you hear a powerful engine outside.

Looking out the open space to the ground, you see this:
    MudCoveredCar

Jax hops out of the passenger side and looks up, motioning for you to come down. You recognize a couple of your guards in the back seat, and one of the fire-eaters from Grindhouse is in the driver's seat.

What do you do?

I give Jax a small wave, instantly regretting the girlish gesture. That was not very spooky and imperious...

I leave my balcony, put on my boots and shrug into my coat. I run a quick pocket inventory--injectors, music box, the as-yet-untried psy grenade I took when I last raided my old lab for goodies. My fingertips encounter the scroll of post-sticky duct tape with Cujo's drawing. I close my hand around it, and for a moment, I get a phantom whiff of her scent and can almost feel the warmth of her skin on mine.

I walk out to greet Jax. "Nice choice," I say with a nod of approval that takes in both the vehicle itself and the appointment of guards. I draw close to him and speak low so that only he can hear, pulling him aside if need be. "I need one more thing. I want to speak to Harbormaster--without the Admiral knowing, without our own people knowing. Is there someone you trust, who the Admiral's crew won't recognize as one of ours, who could arrange a meeting with Harbormaster outside of Safeco prior to our arrival?"

Vignette,

Jax
    Jax nods at the question, "Suquamish is friendly to us. She hated Millions with a purple passion, and I know you two had the dust up at Grindhouse, but she's a pro." He sounds very confident about this.

Oh, Vignette, as you're headed to the car, you see Wash headed your way. He's got Gates walking behind him. And the kid, WotCee.

What do you do?

Gates,

Wash leads you to the building Millions used to call home. Now it must belong to "the witch". WotCee walks near you, he's more than nervous about this, but you've earned his trust, and you have his gun.

Vignette is outside, standing by Jax, one of Millions' men, now hers. They're headed to a big muddy truck, like they're leaving town or something.

What do you do?

I nod to Jax. “Good. Go ahead and get Suquamish moving. I need a second with these two before we leave,” I say, inclining my head toward Gates and Wotcee. I walk to meet Gates and the boy who wants to kill me. My mind flows out ahead of me and enters the boy's. I like to know when someone is on their way to kill me.

• edited August 2015

Casual brain receptivity: (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 6. Total: 11)

Let’s start with what does the boy intend to do. Is he here to kill me?

Vignette,

Right now, WotCee is following Gates lead. He trusts him, more than anybody. He doesn't even have his gun, Gates does. WotCee's terrified of you, still. If he thinks you're going to hurt him, he'll run.
    I stop, let them approach the rest of the way. i keep Spider out of sight. I try and look confident but not haughty or scary–show more Vignette and less Witch of Pike, though my look is my look. I guess I come with a certain amount of scary baked-in. I decide I do not trust myself to smile without spooking him, so I just wait.

• edited August 2015

A legitimate smile as I see Vignette. I've come to like her, in some strange way, despite the fact that she still gives me a bit o' the jibblies. Seems to do that to most folk. Also seems to be movin' up in the world. Time to put my money where my mouth is.

"Lo there, Vin. WotCee and I were just chewin' on things when yer, uh, friend here found us. Thought we'd come say hi, let you know all is well. How are things with you?"

"Gates is a friend," I say to Wash. "He is welcome 'to say hello' any time he likes--or to say more if there is more to say." With a glance toward WotCee, I add, "And he may bring anyone he wishes, who may say much or little or nothing at all."

I look at Gates and the boy for a few moments, then realize I may unsettle the boy. This has happened before. I look back to Gates. "I am visiting Safeco. It is time. I need to discuss things with the Admiral. I have a few moments, though. What is on your mind besides 'hello'?"

Lots to say, but before I go diving in here, I think I better give Vignette a read.

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 8)

Vignette, how could I get you to show some kind of... remorse, perhaps, to WotCee?

Show remorse? I am full of remorse. I have offered my life to Kites every week since…the accident. I just…I do not know what he thinks happened. He blames me, but I do not know…sometimes it is better for children to not know their fathers too well. If I knew what WotCee believed, maybe I would know how to talk to him.

"Well, Vignette, WotCee and I have just been talkin' about a few things. He might have a thing or two to say to you about how things are."

I kneel down to get a bit more on WotCee's level.

"Hey, buddy. We got anythin' to say to Vignette?"

Our vehicle is rumbling in the background, Jax is waiting, but my read on him is that he is a patient, ultra-competent person. Having done his job--prepared for the trip--he is content to let me do mine. Right now, this is part of my job. I consider bending down like Gates, but some instinct tells me that WotCee needs to face me on equal footing. So, I remain standing, but I give him my full attention, shut out the noise and activity going on behind me.

WotCee
    WotCee turns a little pale with both of you looking at him. It takes him a moment to regain composure before he blurts out without meeting your eyes, Vignette, "Why did you kill 'im? Did momma make you do it?"

What do you do?
  • edited August 2015

I frown, not in anger but puzzlement. “Why?–No. No, your mother had nothing to do with it. I have confessed my guilt to her, so she knows my part in his death, but no, your mother is not to blame." I almost ask how he could even think that, but then I think, parent-child relationships are complicated.

“Your father,” I continue, “was involved with some dangerous people. These people wanted to know if he was hiding anything from them. He was. They had me find it.” I shrug. “It is what I do. I sense things in people–their secrets, things they intend to do…and things they decide not to do.” I look at him meaningfully, trying to convey understanding, not threat or blame.

"I went too deep into his mind, damaged something in our fight for control. It was an accident, but it was my fault. Every day, every time I enter someone’s mind, I think about your father and regret what happened that day.

WotCee
    WotCee listens, but looks on in disbelief. You just sucked the wind out of his sails. "You... you mean my dad died by mistake? Because you messed up? And... my momma didn't send you after him for cheating on her? You just killed him because your witch powers messed up?" He looks like he's about to hit something, or cry. Or both.

What do you do?

I put my hand on WotCee's shoulder. Not hard, but firm. Let 'em know I'm there, with him.

"Yes, I messed up," I say, eyes downcast. I want to add rationalizations like, but your dad should not have been messing with people who would hire someone like me or He should never have crossed the Admiral, or He should not have fought me. But I do not. All these things are true, but they do not change the fact that I killed his father. I was not paid to, I was not ordered to. It was an accident.

Tears well up in WotCee's eyes, which embarrasses him, them makes him more angry. He turns to push his face into your chest, Gates, an arm sliding around your waist and holding onto you. He'll calm down in a few moments, then try to leave. But the knot of hate he has for you, Vignette, it's broken.

What do you do?
    I look on as WotCee clings to Gates. It is time for me to leave. No one wants to cry in front of the witch, much less be comforted by her. As I stand, I reach out to touch the boy’s head, but then pull back, thinking better of it. I catch Gates’ eye and mouth the words, “Thank you”, before turning to leave.

I nod, slightly, to Vignette.

Poor kid. I pull him close to me and let him work through it. When he's ready, we can leave.

It seems that you two part ways there, right?

Gates, where are you headed next?

Vignette, do we skip ahead to your conversation with dear old dad?
  • I'm hoping that Suquamish manages to arrange for a private convo with HM prior to our arrival at Safeco.
  • Nothing pressing for Gates right now. Think I'll go check on the family.

Gates, let's end scene here, and open up with you meeting with the family.