[Snowpocalypse] Sunshine and Roses (R 1.5)

edited January 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Rossi,

You woke up later the next morning, still sore and tired. Poptart didn't say a word, just made up some tepid oatmeal from melted ice in ancient packets. Brunch was a light affair.

Back to chores, the day-to-day work, right? Well, its late morning when Poptart jumps. You follow her gaze to the window and see on the balcony railing is a very familiar-looking Snow Owl. It's sitting there, calm as can be, looking in the window. Right at you.

What do you do?

Comments

• I was busy chipping away at some ice when Silica's bird came flying up to the balcony... I double take before I realize it's even hers, and its presence lets me know she's probably around here somewhere... Which may or may not be a good thing... I put the icepick down, bite my lip, and tap my foot impatiently.

I don't need to see Silica right now. Our last conversation ended very poorly... Why the fuck is this stupid bird staring at me like I owe him something? After a few seconds of being stared down by this snow owl, I walk over to the sliding door, open it, and step out onto the balcony. I look it in the eye, and quietly mutter to myself, "alright — where is she?"

I look down into the streets, scanning the snow for her, then eye the bird inquisitively... What the fuck gives?
  • Rossi:

The Snow Owl stares at you as you open the sliding door. When you ask where "she" is, it hops around, takes a small crap on the balcony rail, then jumps into flight. You watch it soar for a bit towards 47th, then down past the park until it comes to rest on the Wall of Respect. It is now blocks away, maybe half an hour walk. But you can see it from the Scrapers.

Poptart comes out to the sliding door, watching quietly, a hand on the doorframe like it would be stupid to step out there. She thinks you're crazy. You are, aren't you?

The bird turns to look back at you, Rossi, you see it's yellow eyes, or imagine it. It hops down to the icy street, and moves to the middle, and pecks at a hole in the ice. Then it waits there.

What do you do?
  • Perfect... Thanks for crapping on our balcony, shithead.

I follow the bird's flight down to the street, and watch it hop down to that little intersection. You've got to be kidding me... I'm less than a half hour's walk away from my sister, and she's smack-dab in the middle of gang territory? A weird sinking feeling hits my stomach and I carefully make my way back into the apartment... I am crazy for stepping out there. If any of the gangs were out and about, I'm sure they'll be watching that fucking bird...

I'm even crazier because I'm going to gear up and head out after my fuck-up of a sister. What the fuck has she done now? ... I'll have to take the back streets to avoid any sharpshooters. She had better be OK.
  • Rossi,

When you head into gang territory looking for someone or something important, roll +Sharp. On a hit, choose options. On a 10+, you find what you're after. On a 7-9, choose one of the below options
    - You can't find it/them
    - You find what you're after, but there's trouble

On a miss, you're exposed and in some trouble. MC will detail.
  • OOC: Going into gang territory. Roll+Sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 8)
  • OOC: You find what you're after, but there's trouble.
  • Ross (I assume "Ross", right?),

You made it through to 47th. Carnation's flunkies are out in force, traveling in pairs, loaded for war. Some trucks and other vehicles out. You make it through them, picking along back alleys and climbing above.

That is, until you get to the Wall of Respect. It's a lonely wall with no cover for a quarter mile. There's a brick building, five stories up, perfect view of the place. This is Frontie's territory. You know there's a sniper up there, and they've already seen you. It's unavoidable. That's how snipers work. Right?

You're on the other side of the wall. That sewer cover is on the other side. The Owl flew off a minute ago, and you're going to have to walk out in the open to get there.

What do you do?
  • I'm all geared up. I'd be stupid to go out here without it... And seeing Carnation's little fuckers out and about only has me on edge. I should have rested up. This is a stupid idea. If a sniper's got a bead on me, then I can't go out there... Those hunting rifles can punch a hole in my armor, and that would fucking suck right now. This is fucking stupid. Unless I'm lucky, and buddy's taking a piss break, I doubt I'd get out there in time — and I'm sure that asshole's going to move to a better position soon.

... I look around on the rooftops to see if I can catch the sun on this guy's scope.
  • OOC: Reading the sitch. Roll+Sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 11)
  • OOC: Questions...
    • where’s my best escape route / way in / way past?
    • what should I be on the lookout for?
    • what’s my enemy’s true position?
  • Ross,

You spot the sniper, up in fifth floor of that lone brick building. They're smart enough to cover the scope, but you see a window in the corner behind them, and the moving shadow points them out, plain as day to your viewpoint.

You should be on the watch for Carnation's folks. They're dangerous, but they're also an opportunity. They keep riding around on this street. You know Frontie's snipers will sit tight rather than fire on them.

If you can time it right, you can make it to that hole and in before they'd take a shot. Of course, that means Carnation's flunkies might see you, too.
  • Shit... Well, I guess I'll be waiting then. Even if I have to take one or two of Carnation's boys down, that isn't so bad.
  • Before long, a couple tank-treaded four wheelers come whizzing by.

Give me an Act Under Fire (with +1 from reading the sitch) to get past them both.
  • OOC: AUF to get to that grate the snow owl showed me. Roll+Cool. +1forward. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 12)
  • Nice!

Please go here.