[Snowpocalypse] Trainyards (H 4.2, S 4.2)

Comments

• edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I smile back at Trespass, nod my thanks. Nice to hear someone misses me. I see the ladies aren't back yet. Probably giggling over butts. I hope they're not arguing. Set that aside, I'm dealing and can't think on personal shit.

I look to Disaster. I know he's just asking, and lo, I am tempted to let slip everthang about Underlake and the site (Tube City? Resquiat? Last Best Hope?). Levelly, "I might, actually. Got a couple big projects and was hoping to get Molotov on my side to back me up on a play. Who speaks for the Keys now, for real?"
  • To Hadden:

Disaster sighs a little frustrated sigh, "Roxy. Through... her." Trespass sits up straight, smiles wide, all proud of herself.

"I could make him do strenuous exercise until he pukes." Trespass says pleasantly. Disaster shrugs, like "yeah, I would".
  • Silica

You know I meant it, five minutes.... trying to be good... er... not totally bad. But you know I might lose track of time a little bit. Maybe... few minutes... right?
  • From Hadden:

I raise my eyebrows a bit. "I'd hate to make chef waste those Twinkies." Grin a stupid grin. I consider how much to tell them. Now that Rossi's got folks following her, I'm not sure how much I need a whole bunch of hitters... but I also don't know if we'll have to deal with Merrell, or Kemper, or both.

"Tresspass, I can't say much just yet. Don't want to upset anyone's quiet chat. But I tell you true, I might need some muscle for my plans and I'd rather yall on my side." I look to Disaster when I say this, talking with my hands like inclusion, man. "If you say times are tight, I'll send word that I've got work." I draw on my beer, it's almost gone.

"Forgive the cloak-and-dagger shit. But I gotta line things up."
  • To Hadden:

They both nod, like they get the message, won't pry, that kind of thing. You head back to the table to wait, then?
  • To Silica:

Yeah, so like fifteen minutes later... K2 comes up for air. Hadden has to be waiting on you, the food's cooked, sitting there, you'd imagine.

What do you do?
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

I do that startled thing you do when you lost track of time. "Fuck..." I say pushing myself up to sit against the door and look down at her face. "We gotta get back Kaykay..."

Heavy breaths... I try to scramble out from under her, it's been what... uhh... where the hell are my pants?
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

They are pros. And I need to talk to Roxy. And decide if I'm going to try and save Molotov or let him waste away or use him or what. I mull that shit over for a while. I wonder what Never Summer is doing if all that is true.

My food is eaten. Where the fuck are the girls? Either they're both taking a monster crap, gossiping about my ass, or getting it on. I don't think my ass is twenty minutes' of discussion. I should check on them. Hope they're not in trouble. Yes yes, I know they can handle themselves, thank you, yes. But I still worry a bit. I get up, go head to the bathrooms.
  • edited April 2014
    To Silica:

You find your pants in the floorboard, and throw things on. K2 is having a giggle-fest, since she's more clothed than you. She laughs the whole way back to Red Brick, then tries to calm down when you get to the front door. She's still grinning, her lipstick, what little she wears, is gone. She wiped most of it off on, well, you. Then finished the job with a cloth on the way back.

You push open the door and head back to find...

To Hadden:

Silica and K2 come in from the cold. K2's all smiles, like that kind of smile you try to hide, but it just keeps bubbling up. They come to take their seats, K2 says, "Food's here? Great, that's awesomesauce."
  • From Hadden:

Oh ho.

I sit back down, since I wasn't that far away from the table. Stick my tongue in my cheek. "I already ate." I give them a look that all but says, Guess you did, too.

I then put on my absolute most innocent, virginal, butter-won't-melt-in-my-mouth look and ask, "How was dessert?" Blink my eyes.
  • To Both:

K2 smiles, sort of bashful all the sudden, bends her head down, picks up a fork and starts eating to avoid answering.
  • From Hadden:

I wiggle my eyebrows at K2. She's cute when she's shy. I watch her for a sec, just enough for her to see a I-want-you-happy little bit of sad contentment on my face before I tuck it away. "The bread is fresh fresh, Bee Tee Dub."
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

We walk in in that air of just-fucked and not waited to come down... yeah... kinda high on the feeling...

I plop my ass down on the seat, taking a big breath... like... oh yeah.... food.

Hadden asks and I blurt out without a moment hesitation, "it was good!" And I look up at him and then... oh fuck did I just... and I fumble for words for a second, "uh... wow this looks spicy." I find my beer and grab it, awkwardly spilling foam over my hand... yeah.

I take a long drink of beer, "yeah... that's good..." a take a long awkward look at Hadden, like... he totally knows right? Fuck... and I can't hide my flush-faced, mouth-slightly-open panting... and it's fuckin' hot in here.

If he could read my mind he'd be happy to know that I totally want to fuck him silly right now... all Kaykay did was make me want it more.
  • From Hadden:

I have to chuckle a little at the two of them. "Yall should get your story straight. Speaking of..." and I look to Silica, to tell her we need to come up with an alias while she's onna DL incognito, and she's staring at me, giving me some real post-fuck vibes, totally derails my train of thought.

Maybe it was an appetizer.

I look back and forth between Silica and K2, trying to figure them out. I kinda don't want a big emotional discussion in the middle of the Red Brick.
  • To Hadden:

You feel one of them gently touch the tip of their shoe, the toe, against your shin, just a light touch.

Probably Silica.
  • [OOC, reading K2, roll+sharp]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 3, 1. Total: 5)
  • edited April 2014
    To Both:

Never Summer walks in the front door, a large cloak over tzir shoulders, a kevlar vest underneath, the sword peeking over the top. Tze scans the room, sees Disaster and Trespass. Then, tzir eyes settle on you, Hadden. Tze starts walking forward, towards you, eyes fixed on you, neutral expression, as always.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

Fuckballs.

Sure, I was thinking of hedging to deal with tzir and how that would go down, but I didn't really expect to see tzir in the flesh quite so soon. My thoughts of what I want to do with K2 and Silica fall straight out my brain. I mentally check my breath, our exits, and how fast I could draw my pistol, then tap a brief, staccato, urgent pattern on the table to signal my crew. Why couldn't they have snogged for like ten minutes longer? Keeping my eyes on that motherfucker.

I idly rub the scar just behind my jawline, don't realize it.

"Hello, Never Summer." I'm casually distant, but polite. All I need now is for Rossi to show up on Tindy's arm and I'll go to pieces.
  • To Silica:

You see Never Summer at the door, coming in, heading towards your table. Hadden is visibly shaken by this. Do you know about their history?

K2 might know. She whispers, "Ohhhh shit." under her breath, and you feel her reaching for her revolver under the table.

What do you do?

To Hadden:

Never Summer moves up to the table, looking at you, just you. Ignoring K2 and Silica, not like they aren't threats, more like tze is only concerned about you for the moment. "Hadden. It has been... a while." Never Summer cocks a hip and stands there waiting for whatever response you'll throw back. Tzir expression is cool, but around tzir eyes is a hint of anticipation, bridled just barely.

What do you do?
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

So I feel the tension at the table before I realize why, you know I've had a little to drink by now.... which might not be a good thing.

Never Summer? That fucker's one of Molotov's new gang, ain't she? News of this stuff gets to me, but I ain't always up to date. I reach over to lightly touch Kaykay on the leg like... chill, girl...

Is shit about to go down here? Hadden has old business with them don't he?

I glance back and forth from Hadden to Nevasumma and then down at the table. I'm not getting my hand near my gun, hell no... That half a beer ain't enough to get me off my game but it's got me a little loose and for some stupid reason I kind of laugh, like... a nervous chuckle which turns into an audible little laugh.

Not lookin' at anyone... just somethin' in my mind tells me I'm fucked... just figures... here at a posh table not doin' nobody any hurt. Ain't that a little funny kinda?
  • From Hadden:

That sexy motherfucker. Still, I've moved on. I thought tze had, too. Nothing like having a sociopathic, sword-wielding ex to kill the mood... again.

Quick assessment: I got three people here in various stages of physical and romantic entanglement. I'm in desperate need of more liquor, kind bud, and a righteous hummer. Ideally at the same time. But my crew's tense, too. K2 looks like she wants to throw down on my honor, Silica looks like someone kicked her puppy, or maybe someone who lost a present before she got a chance to unwrap it. Never Summer unreadable as ever. I gotta hold it together for everyone's sake.

"Since Poke's." Back when Poke was two and not one.

And I look at Never Summer, wondering how Molotov T. Gunlugger is treating tzir? Better than Carnation? Better than me? "You're looking well."

Which would be worse, to have Never Summer at table, or to not invite tzir to sit?
  • To Both:

Never Summer gives the faintest of smiles, replies to you, Hadden, "Thank you. You... look like a fishmonger, as ever."

Then tzir eyes fall on you, Silica, "Oh... Silica. Nice work with Method. You've got a real future, you know."

The faint smile turns wicked as Tze looks to K2, saying, "And you look ravishing, K2. I'm so glad your mother decided not to abort you, no matter how much she loathes your father for what he did."
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

Yeah, I'm over tzir. Bitch not sitting at my table. I flick my eyes at K2 and Silica like, don't rise to the motherfucker.

"Ever the green-eyed monster, Never Summer. Did you come to talk, eat, or to sit quietly in the corner?" I match that wicked faint smile.
  • edited April 2014
    To Both:

K2's eyes widen at the insult, or revelation. She's pissed: mouth tight, nostrils flaring. She wants to pull out her pistol on him, Silica. You can feel it. She's imagining it right now, thinking through it, how fast she needs to be, if he'll kill her first.

Never Summer's eyes crinkle with tzir smile, "None of the above, Hadden. Though you tempted me into one of the three." Tze gives a glance towards Disaster and Trespass, blinks slowly. Hadden, you think Never Summer isn't here for you right now.
  • Silica

Nevasumma is a cold motherfucker, I know that much. the kind you cross the street to avoid passin' and look away from. He has to mention fuckin' Method... I was just startin' to forget the feel of his blood on my hands... only fucker I ever killed, really killed... Nevasumma makes me glance up at him at least, if only for a second.

My hand rests on Kaykay's thigh under the table, i squeeze a little bit... chill, girl... serious.

It's hard for me to keep my fuckin' mouth shut when He goes on about Kaykay... at least she knows who her fuckin' mother is. At least someone fuckin' wanted her in this fuckin' world... Damn. Fuck you both.
  • From Hadden:

I want to rub my eyes and beat my head on the table, Tze came to not eat, not talk, and to cause a ruckus? Motherfucker.

I have a slightly cocksure grin. "Was a time I could tempt you to much more. How's Molotov?"
  • Silica

My eyes rise to look at Hadden as he mentions that name, like sayin' it might summon the fucker... worst person that exists.
  • To Both:

Never Summer turns to regard you again, Hadden. Tze answers, "There was a time." The smile drops, like it was a mask tze held up for "pleasant company". "My master is well. He is enraptured with an exemplary woman. One who bested you many times, if I recall."
  • From Hadden:

Watching tzir eyes. There's nothing left in there, is there? I keep up faces and faces, but stab me, do I not bleed? "Check your brain. As I recall, there was some distinct back-and-forth with that particularly exemplary woman." Roxy has a different kind of savvy. Depending on the field, so goes the battle.

I don't like that there's no questions nor snark. "Tell Molotov... look, just tell him I said hello. Maybe when he's less enraptured, dig?"
  • Silica

They fightin... sure enough. Fightin' with fists and guns and shit... not my fuckin' thing right? But I get it... but they fightin' with words. Hadden's gotta the best at that shit right? He gonna leave this bitch bloody, so to speak... right?

I don't fear his fuckin' words... it's that sword, that knife... he gotta gun, too? Don't fuckin' know... probably...

Right now I'm lookin' for a way outta here if words-fightin' turns into some beasty fuckin' sword fight... under the table? Over the back? No... I'm quick but... swords...

If it comes to it I know what I gotta do.
  • To Both:

"My brain is fine, Hadden," Never Summer replies coolly, "As usual, you're recalling only the parts of history that you liked. Ignoring the truth of things." Then, with a low voice, an edge to it, tze adds, "And you will not speak of my master in that tone of yours. Do you understand?"

Silica, K2 has the pistol out now, you feel it beside your leg. She's watching Never Summer, trying to keep her face cool, but you know she's working up the courage to shoot tzir.

And yes, Never Summer has more than the sword. A knife, a machine pistol under the long coat, a .45 auto on tzir hip. Loaded for bear.
  • From Hadden:

You know, it's funny- that voice tze uses used to make me feel a whole host of different things. "Speaking of ignoring the truth of things, you don't recall who Molotov T. Gunlugger did work for. He did work for me, you now work for him. Who's on top and who's on bottom?" You're still my bitch, bitch. Bitch twice removed? Have to figure that one out. Twobitch?

I'm actually curious if tze has anything of substance besides cattiness, so I ask, "Now, was there anything else? I have a nice compliment about your new glasses just waiting, and I may not say it if you keep this 'tude up."
  • To Hadden:

That gets a genuine smile from Never Summer. A flash of wit, a clever tongue, tze does so adore that about you. Adored. "Molotov did not serve official notice, but he most assuredly is no longer employed by you. Has not been since he took over the Sparekeys. Have you given him work? Pay? No. And no. He is not yours to command." A sly look, "Which, of course, means... neither... am... I." A show of teeth.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Fuck... Kaykay's about to pull her iron and put a bullet in this bitch. But that ain't right, Kaykay... are you that fast? I ain't that fast... and sorry girl but maybe you're my equal but you ain't faster.

I start to breathe short breaths, little hint of panic in them, I glance up at Nevasumma standing right over me... I gotta do something...

Now I'm not as slick as I think I am... but you know... desperate times right? So tryin' to be smooth as can be I turn and lean towards Kaykay in the seat and suddenly kiss her on the mouth, just fuckin' kiss her right there... like it ain't nothin' right? At the same time I slide my hand across Kaykay's thigh to touch the wrist of the hand she's holding that iron with... keep her from doing something she can't take back. I know what that's like... and she's got a fuckin' momma who gives a shit.

I don't know if this shit works between us still but she gotta know what I'm thinkin' right? Even without that shit... "don't fucking do this, Kaykay... this asshole don't mean nothin' and sorry but this ain't our thing."

But I gotta take eyes off Nevasumma to do this... that sucks... Hadden I hope you got your fightin' words snappin.
  • From Hadden:

I match tzir smile. We had some good times. Fucking danger must get Silica's engine purring, and she dives into K2's lips like they got the antidote and she's doing something in her lap. Nice.

Amp the sly right back. "Don't fool yourself about who's in command here. I could have you right here in front of the world faster than you could say, 'yes, master.'" You ever grudge fuck an ex? Hawt. And Never Summer is still pretty.

I relax a little. Take my beer.Tze is being more polite. And the girls are having fun. Who wants to interrupt that? "Those frames really do show off your eyes, Never Summer. And those cheekbones." I take a pull off my beer while watching tzir.
  • To Silica:

You dive in for a kiss with K2 and she lets out a surprised "murk" sound and freezes. Then lips to lips and she pushes into that reflexively, her eyes looking over at you, Hadden. Hard to read, but it doesn't feel like a show-off look exactly.

Her tongue wiggles its way into your mouth, giving into this without any further hesitation. Your hand on her gun, she relaxes. Your words in her mind, she must hear them. Fear calmed by relief that she doesn't have to do this, save her name, be tough in front of you. She can let this go. Ball it up into a little bit of hurt to carry around and worry about later. Now, just sensation and pleasure and the illusion of acceptance. Or is it an illusion, Silica?

To Hadden:

Never Summer's smile falters a little when you proclaim you could have tzir right here in front of the world. Then, you take tzir off balance a little more when you compliment the frames. A hand comes up suddenly. Never Summer reaches up tzir off-hand to your face, fingers curled, knuckles brush against your cheek. "Oh, Hadden," tze says with sudden softness. "I had a barb prepared about how tired and worn you looked. But now... it's unseemly." The hand lingers at your cheek, eyes flick a glance over to Disaster and Trespass. You've taken tzir off task, perhaps.
  • From Hadden:

I nuzzle a tiny bit into tzir wrist. Almost follow through to take tzir wrist and lightly kiss it. "Obliged." But tze's right. I feel tired and worn. I flick over to Disaster and Trespass. What they doing?
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Illusion? I just saved your life, girl! But the kiss? You know I... ok I enjoy what Kaykay's got and what she does to me, alright? Yeah that's no joke but this ain't that so much... this is stayin' alive right here...

I'm listening to every fuckin' sound Haddie and Neva's making... yeah... Hadden's bringing it down somehow. Guys' legit right? What'd he say? Or was it me? Maybe it was... no no way it was me.

Well I keep my hand on her hand with the gun, keepin' her chill. So relieved... oh fuck, Kaykay, you almost brought down the Sparekeys on your ass...

I shouldn't be here.
  • To Hadden:

Disaster and Trespass are tense, but trying to play it cool, like they haven't noticed. You see Disaster has a pistol out on his lap, Trespass is watching this without staring right at you. They look tense, like Never Summer's arrival was not wanted, nor will it be a good thing. And now? Now they're ready for tzir.

"Hadden..." Never Summer says in that soft tone again. "I'm going to the restroom. Do you... need to?" The hand hasn't left your cheek. Tzir face is still mostly neutral, but little fissures and cracks show at the edges. Ones you made.

To Silica:

K2's still kissing you, the excitement bringing an air of danger, and now that you're "showing off" in front of Hadden, the guy she watched you sort of flirt with all day, she's into this. Really marking territory, like "fuck yeah, she's mine" kind of thing. She's let go of the revolver, holding your hand under the table instead. Her left hand has moved around to touch your shoulder. You feel her happiness, giddiness really. This is acceptance, it's a statement to her. A choice.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

I hear that, relax a little bit. Does she leave the gun in my hand? Whateva, we ain't gonna need it right?

Either way I keep kissing her, keep this up till Neva' leaves the table, Hadden or no. She really think this means all that? Fuck... you know what, forget that, I pull my mouth from hers but keep my face close to hers, just look at her. Calm the fuck down, Kaykay... there's a little nervous smile on my face like I'm puttin' on a show or something. I don't look at Hadden... I wonder if he gets it. I don't look up at Neva'... I mean... that ain't my deal. I'm just some stupid icewalker bitch right? I don't mean nothin... let's keep it that way.

Neva' thought I'd be bigger... fuck you too.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

A little like juggling a chainsaw. Fun and impressive, but stupid deadly. Still in a soft tone, "I oughtn't, little moth. Someone liable to get burnt. That sound wise?" I am suddenly very very aware of how close tzir's hand is to that scar on my jawline. I feel a tiny bit sad for the past, but not for the here and now.
  • To Hadden:

Never Summer laughs a quiet laugh, "Wise? No. Not at all." Tze removes tzir hand from your cheek, then slowly turns to walk away from the booth, towards the bathroom. Tzir hips sway just a bit as tze heads into the dark hallway.

You see Disaster relax a bit, and he and Trespass finish off their food, leaving some trade and making their way out of Red Brick.

To Silica:

Never Summer leaves and yeah, the gun is basically in your hand now. K2's got this look like "holy shit, that was crazy" and she leans forward once tze leaves to put an elbow on the table, resting her chin on her hand and looking at you, then over to Hadden.
  • From Hadden:

My eyes track tzir. Like a poison'd rose... Pretty deadly. Still want to sniff, to pluck... Despite the thorns.

"We should GTFO before I do something I shouldn't." I say to my crew, still looking at that dark hallway
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Once Neva's left the table I kind of throw myself back into my seat, shoulders against the chair back and head leaning back... like... deep breaths. "Fuck," I begin, just complaining. I shoot Kaykay a look, kind of annoyed with her... she totally doesn't get it, does she? She's staring at me like kissin's all that happened.

I'm frightened, angry, hot, slightly drunk... scared sober... and my mouth's wet with her spit... and I'm wearing this stupid hoodie shit... not foolin any-fuckin-one is it?

I reach across and shove Kaykay's shoulder with my off-hand"we almost fuckin' died, ok? Fuck are you thinking drawin' iron on that bitch?" I sound more upset than angry, but angry is in there. I hold her revolver under the table... I want to fuckin' toss it across the room I'm so pissed off.

Then Hadden speaks up.... not much else to say right? "Ain't nothin... Haddie...let's burn out."
  • To Both:

K2 blinks, surprised. "Hey! I knew you were trying to chill me out, okay? But shit, Silly, that was blazing! I mean..." she looks over at you, Hadden, "No offense, Hadden."

I assume you guys finish your food? Get it to go or something?
  • From Hadden:

I could give a shit about the food, but I settle up our bill. K2 looks enraptured, Silica looks scared and pissed, I probably still look tired and worn. Motherfucker.

I look at Silica, "burnt out" she says. I feel it.

K2 really gets off on danger, it seems. "She's a blazing kisser? Remind me next time I mean to draw iron." My delivery is terrible, I'm still tense. Hopefully it just sounds not funny, but I can't tell what other emotions are leaking out.

"Let's motor already." It's more than a little awkward. I get up, grab my crap.
  • To Both:

Alright, no worries here. You settle up, grab what food you want and burn before Trespass and Disaster are able to leave and well before Never Summer gets out of the bathroom. Where tze is probably waiting on you, Hadden.

I guess you didn't need that righteous hummer so bad after all.

Where do you go?
  • From Hadden:

Are you kidding? Have you had a hummer from Never Summer? Dude, let me tell you, I am sorely tempted. But for once I'm not just thinking about dipping my wick, specially not to an ex with swords and a smig. I also don't want K2 or Silica to see me go to tzir, which is weird because they both practically reek like a cathouse right now, and things are going to be rough enough with Molotov as is without entanglement. I don't feel guilty exactly... but I'm surrounded by emotional whirlpools right now and it's taking almost everything I have not to fall in.

Disaster and Trespass probably want to make like a baby and head out also, I'm just saying.

It's past sundown and we've had a long day of work. I'm half thinking to just sulk in the bed of the truck while they drive, but whatever, that's too much a drama queen thing to do. It's an entertaining thought. At least nobody will argue about shotgun.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll wordlessly drive to Handplant's place, since I figure K2 and Silica will want to bunk there. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'm going to sleep alone tonight. Again.

I hope Rossi and Jester are okay.

I think about Tindy, getting someone to check on her, since I feel like I can't get too close without letting something slip.
  • To Both:

Hadden, you start driving off. Silica, K2's asked you to sit up front, in between her and Hadden. Do you?

Regardless, Hadden drives towards Handplant's. K2 asks you, "Silly, where are you stayin tonight?" If that's while sitting beside you, or out to you in the bed of the truck, she'll ask.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Hadden tries to tell a joke, I'm pissed off right now, probably more than I should be. You know what? I think Hadden should know better... this shit shouldn't happen... But fuck it, if jokes get you by, sure, I'm game. I snap back,"you draw iron on that bitch, Haddie I'll be kissin' your ass goodbye."

"I'm in back," I call out even before we reach the truck. I'm burning up, don't want any more fuckin' hands on me right now. They can both tell I'm tense as hell.... short and snappy.

She asks about tonight.. through the window. "I don't fuckin' know Kaykay... don't fuckin' care."
  • To Silica:

K2 calls back, "I got a BM stamp. Stay with me tonight, yeah?"
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

If I draw on Never Summer, liable I'm sliced. That's a happy thought. And great, now we're all at each other's throats. If anyone's looking, they can see my knuckles getting white on the steering wheel.

That motherfucker.
  • From Hadden:

I look at K2 sidelong, then at probably the back of Silica's hoodie in the rearview. If they're staying at Backside Misty's, then maybe I'll crash elsewhere. I swallow, keep everything together. Just driving here.
  • To Hadden:

K2 looks over at you, touches your forearm, "Where you stayin?"
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Why am I so pissed off? Not like bad shit isn't always happenin' around... why's this gettin' to me so much? Kaykay's askin' for more and ugh... I just turn my head to look at her like... really?

Fuck it, this angsty shit ain't me.... I stand up, unsteady, in the back of the truck as we bounce along, find the first fucker I see along the road. Don't give a shit... I call out, "hey!" until whoever-the-fuck looks, then I raise the bird up high and shout, "hey fuck you!"

And start laughin myself silly... yeah... that feels good.
  • From Hadden:

I look at where K2 touches me- I think this is the first time since this morning, and give her a look like, no I'm not okay, then realize what she's saying out loud has nothing to do with my answering something she's not asking.

"I got digs by Backside Misty's. But I might go crash by Lemma's, see about the project, (The Burbs? Hadden Heights? Lemma Fields? The Warren?) "Or maybe scheme to get into Underlake stealthy." She can tell I'm not myself a hunnred percent. Been raked over the emotional coals this day. I wonder if she cares.
  • Silica

I'm feeling a little punch drunk (and slightly actually drunk) after flipping off whoever-the-fuck. The truck lurches and I end up having to catch my balance on the rail atop the cab... kind of hangin' on. I wanna scream and shit... I holler out to the wind a time or two... yeah!
  • From Hadden:

Silica's doing something utterly Silica out there. I kinda shake my head in amusement a tiny bit. I don't even know what to think or say to K2 right now.
  • To Hadden:

You hear Silica laughing like mad above you. K2 looks at you, a little closer. "Hadden... I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be a bitch to you. I like you alot. I just..." She looks at you, unable to finish her own sentence.

"You need some sleep. Stay with us tonight, alright?" She puts a hand on your arm, and it isn't a come on, she does care.

To Silica:

You think you spot Lunch up on a rooftop as the minitruck zips by.
  • From Hadden:

I let out a held breath, all at once, hard. I keep my hand on the wheel and I don't trust my eyes to do anything but watch the road and I reach out my other hand to her- I hope she takes it. "I don't wanna be an asshole to you. I like you a lot, too." I'm a little at a loss for words. I want her to be happy, healthy, safe, fed, and well-fucked, and it looks like I'm not in that equation as much as I could be, or should be. I think of Rossi and Jester for a sec. Tindy. Silica. K2. That motherfucker Never Summer can jump off a scraper. I gotta be fair to K2's feelings, I gotta. Can't be a hypocrite. "I want to work it out somehow. Do right by you. But I fear it's folly."

"It's been a long day... about twenty minutes ago, if you would've asked me to come sleep with yall, I'dda be on that like white on rice. But that motherfucker Never Summer... I don't know where I am, K2. I don't know if I could just sleep, just actually sleep, without, without, having a breakdown of one kind or another. I only have so much will, girl." I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the tears out my voice. Not sure about the eyes.
  • To Hadden:

K2 playfully punches your shoulder, "As if, you horndog! I wasn't gonna fuck you, just give you a pillow. That I'd steal later, like usual." She glances out of the truck, back at Silica. "Hadden... you need to chill. Somewhere where nobody comes to bother you, just for a night. Like... I dunno, like me saying sorry. Or, shit, I dunno. You are my boss. So, just, you know..."
  • From Hadden:

I roll my eyes as she helps to pull me outta my nonsense. "Thanks, K2." But I know she's right. Didn't think about not staying at Backside Misty's where people can find me. "It's complicated, isn't it?" I mean about she and me and Silica.

Huh.

"Hey, Silica, you got a bolthole you can tell me? Ideally one without a cold bed?" I call back.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

"Whadda you want?" I shout out at the bird, a smile on my face... this mean somethin's coming for me now? Are you a good thing or a bad thing, Lunch?

Then Hadden calls back, I crouch down to look in the window, a grin on my face... a grin that's got shit all to do with these two... "last time I went home Soulja's waitin on my fuckin' doorstep for me." Of course I've heard about what happened to Soulja field by now. "But I'm guessin' they got bigger problems, yeah?"

Where are we? If we're close we can swing by the library, or the playground...
  • To Both:

At this point, coming from Red Brick towards Lemma's, I'll say you're slightly out of Chi-Town now, heading west on Harrison.
  • From Hadden:

Most of Silica's boltholes probably aren't insulated. "K2, you take the minitruck. I can go catch a bed by the Preservers for a night, yeah?" I have to tamp down the desire to kiss her when I look at her lookin' at me.
  • To Both:

K2 nods, "Okay. Preservers, hunh?" She opens the back window, calls to you, Silica, "Hey, Silly! We got the truck tonight. You're crashing with me." She shuts the window before you answer. Then, she chuckles to you, Hadden, "I think she doesn't want to say yes, so I won't let her say no.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Yeah I'm about to say something but she cuts me off... yeah whatever. No big thing... I got my groove back, just enjoyin' the fuckin' ride.

For now.
  • To Both:

Hadden, you pull up at the Preservers Church. It's bitter cold and dark out. K2's sitting there, watching you. Silica, the truck's stopped. Have you been here before?

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

I look out the window. I hope someone's home. Looks cold. I'm tired. I feel worn and frayed. Not sure K2 can see it. Not sure she cares. She and Silica got things to take care of. I think about shoving the truck so Handplant and K2 don't get gotten by the Soulja Boys. How much things have changed. Now, I'm shoving off K2 and Silica so they can be together. So I can be alone.

You know, I almost wish she drove, so I could fall asleep and not have to make decisions for a few hours. I give the keys to K2. "You two under control? Need anything?"
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Preservers? Nope, shit's new to me. Heard of them, but they're weird old guys right?

By the time we stop I'm up in the back, leaning my ass up against the cab, pickin' on my fingernails or something. Run outta that posh place like we ain't nothin... Hadden you're better'n this... I watch the door open, Hadden get on out of the truck lookin like someone spilled his kool-aid... poor guy's all fucked up in his head. He don't know it shows.

He asks his question, I smirk and just glance downward for the briefest second, a little shrug, a confident little (fake confidence?) shake of the head, "I'm livin' chill, Haddie... it's all under control."

I tweak each sleeve like I'm pimpin' a tux or somethin' here.

I lean back again and try to put it out there simple, "hey you wanna talk somethin' real? You find some fuckers lookin' to buy ice? I'm sellin. Hear me?"

Maybe some jingle-positive business will get Hadden out of his funk.
  • To Both:

K2 looks up at that one as she takes the keys. Truck's off, so she asks, "You get ice from that pet store?" It doesn't sound like an accusation.
  • From Hadden:

Silica's perked up, I guess the trip helped her forget that motherfucker. "I think your sister used the last of my kit stash to save Arbor. You got a little extra bird food?" A bare smile.

I look at the Preservers' joint doubtfully and wonder if I should take a cube for me for now. You know, just in case I need to.
  • Silica

I jump down from the cab. Weird, standing up there I felt on top of things, but when my feet hit the frozen dirt I'm suddenly lookin' up at Hadden again. Like... he's a head taller right? Sort of makes me feel silly.

I pull out a good sized rock and show him, "it's the best... the kind I use. They don't sell to just anyone..." I look up at Hadden with slightly narrow eyes, kind of marking my territory here. "Needs cuttin' right? But it's good..."

He can buy it, find a buyer... whatever works right?

I lean my head to one side in a little smile, he's perked up already. "And I got more."
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

Of course I think this isn't the way I pictured doing ice with Silica, but right now, it's biz. I nod like respecting her taste. I look at it with an eye to cutting it for normal folk. "Let me cut a dose now in case the Preservers' ain't feeling givey, plus leave a little in the 'mergency kit under the passenger seat, yeah? What do I owe you?" And ain't that funny? Now I owe her. Tamp that shit down again, boyo.

And with a leap, now she's close again. Looking down at her, trying not to think about those blue blue eyes, trying to keep my distance despite what she told me at the trainyard, tamping it down, breathing evenly, "And I'll ask around in case anyone's in a buying mood. How you care about Sims? Cut him in or cut him out?" I think he's a shifty little fuck. Maybe some of Squirrel's Rats could use, or a few stashes by the site (Zvozdnee? Yaderny? Bordel?) just in case. Tiny grim thought of shoving a whole ice tray down Merrell's throat then bringing him to Soulja Lava Pool.

But I see a tiny little satisfied smile on Silica's face, and I wonder what she's got up her sleeve. Find myself smiling back. Wondering how blazing of a kisser she is.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

"Take the rock," I set it delicately in his hand, it's about a jingle's worth all diced up propa'... he's gotta know that. It's heavier than it looks, you often cut ice with some inert ingredient to get the right feel out of it. Pure you gotta have tolerance, yeah, like me. If you swallowed this rock whole you'd probably die... if you didn't choke on it first.

"I know you're good for it... need some jingle in a coupla days," He's lookin down at me with a smile. A smile, alright, Hadden... that's fuckin better. Makes me smile more. "I gotta move three or so if you got buyers with chips... nobody that's gonna shoot us in the ass alright? But keep it a little exclusive, this is the real shit..."

He's standin' awful close to me, I can feel his heat. Feels nice... I reach up and tweak him on the side of the jawline with a thumb, like, just a gentle little thing that turns his head an inch, and say, "you gotta keep your shit togetha, Haddie..."

Then a big smile for a second, then I hide it.
  • From Hadden:

I'm thinking about Palmer of all people, mixing ice up in his shrimps, or trying to make peace with Stink Bug with ice for the boys, or if Roxy wants to keep hooks in Molotov, then Silica touches me and I'm suddenly all attention on her, so I catch the full blast of a real smile. I blink a few times.

I pocket the rock, still in its little plastic paper, without looking at it.

It doesn't escape my attention that she touched me right where that motherfucker put a scar.

"Doing what I can, you know it." Got some of my voice back, but it's been a long day and I'm close to done. I wonder if she knows how much she could get away with right now.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

Kaykay been standing round, not like I'm ignoring her outright, but she can tell I'm doing some business here right? When I told Hadden about the ice I kind of told her too at the same time...

But Hadden's the man right now and she's just been buggin' me... fuck if she didn't figure out how to push my buttons like that... didn't we fuckin' hate each other for something like five years?

"I know it," I say, though I wasn't too sure earlier. I take half a step back, practically glide back. But the truck is right there and I awkwardly bump it when I'm trying to look too cool. Gotta laugh.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

She's trying to show off a little, it's cute. She's laughing more around me, is she nervous or just becoming comfortable? "Shazam, watch your step." The smile stays. Still can't quite get how she's looking at me. Different from before.

"Yall two stay frosty, now." Fuck a duck, why didn't I take up K2's offer to stay with them? Anything might've happened. "K2, leave the truck in the usual spot and the keys with Backside Misty? I'll circle back with yall come morningtime."

Won't always be a night alone.
  • Silica

Hadden's a weirdo, makes me almost laugh, just... what the fuck is he saying half the time?

Sucks watchin' him go though, just when we was feeling good again. I lean back against the truck where I stumbled and look over at Kaykay like... yeah.

I push off of the truck and turn towards her. It was easier when I hated you, girl.
  • To Both:

K2 laughs a little when you almost laugh, Silica. Then she shakes the keys so they clink together, says, "C'mon, Silly. Hadden needs some sleep, yeah?" She comes over to give you a hug, Hadden. It's a warm hug, friendly. She pulls back just a little and looks up to catch your eyes, "You're good, Hadden. You aren't alone. You sure you don't wanna come with us?"
  • Silica

I hang out while she goes over to hug him... you know Kaykay, fuckin' stop it... I take a couple steps over towards her and smack her on the side of the head, like... where that old scar I left is. Not hard, but enough to get her attention.

"Come on Kaykay, let the fucker sleep..." I can't help but smile slightly as I make eye contact with Hadden past her. Dang girl.... I thought I was mixed up. What about you?

If I had to pick one or the other right now... I'd totally stay here with him... he can probably guess that from the look in my eye... but that ain't the way it is, is it?
  • From Hadden:

Oh, it feels good to have a hug. Just like... fuck, was it only this morning? Feels like it's been years. She smells like woman, like that perfume she wears, and like something else... must be Silica. What's in her eyes? What does she see in mine? "Thanks, K2. Of course I want to go with yall... but I think I need some drama-free actual actual sleep for just one night, ya dig?" They gotta know my history with that motherfucker.

And now Silica's giving me the eyes something fierce as I hug the woman we've both fucked. Is she doing that lip thing? They're both asking me to stay, in their own way. I feel like I'm somehow being forced to choose between them, and I don't want to. But K2 made her choice... right? Maybe she'll change her mind tomorrow and we can have some great make-up sex.

But I keep my shit together. I look up at the sky, watch the aurora for a beat, then I look down at K2, try to be light-hearted. "I do sleep alone sometimes, you do realize." It's sweet that she still cares. Maybe she's not sure about her choice.

I give them a look like, we gotta figure something out. It can't be this weird between us all the time. Something's liable to break. I give K2 a friendly kiss on the head like goodnight. I feel worn enough to just fucking sleep in the truck bed, park somewhere and get a Haddensicle. But I need to do what's best for the crew right now, which is to get my shit together.

And you know what? Fuck it, I'll steal a chaste little goodnight kiss high up on Silica's cheek, right near her ear. She's like snow. "Sleep tight, you two. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." That sounds like me.

Grab my shit, give them the thumbs-up. Head off to sleep, maybe even dream.
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

I tense a bit as he nears, but then lean into his warm little kiss a bit when I realize... as he kisses my cheek there's this little smile on my lips, turning my head I see Kaykay standing there... it's obvious that she still digs him, too.

Can't hide it.
  • To Hadden:

Please go here.
  • To Silica:

After Hadden disappears, K2 gets back in the truck, saying, "Ride up front with me, Silly. I'll turn off the heater. Cool? hee... I mean, is that alright?" She won't push the issue, but she would like to have you ride up front.

What do you do?
  • Silica

"Sure, yeah ok..." I walk around the other side and climb in, reaching up to the roof and pulling myself up to swing my ass into the seat, feet up on the dash, naturaly.

Oh yeah... gotta close the fuckin' door.
  • To Silica:

You're driving away. It's quiet for a bit. K2 is just driving, looking over at you from time to time. A wind picks up between buildings, the ice and snow crunch under the wheels. "Silly... I had a really good time today." She looks over again, "You?"
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

I raise a foot off the dash for a second and let it come down with a bang as I turn my head and cross my arms, "yeah the dinner was especially fuckin' enjoyable..." Again I probably sound more pissed off than I should... but we almost fuckin' died.

A long exhale, I turn to look at her, "we did alright... That shit ain't your fault ok... but Neva' kinda shit on my fuckin' day."

A good time, huh? Guess I didn't really answer her question.
  • To Silica:

The Never Summer reminder lays a good guilt trip on K2. She's quiet for a bit. You turn down a street with several rusted out husks of iced over cars. She curses, then puts the truck in reverse, "Damn. Thought that was a shortcut to... hey, are you good to stay at Misty's? I can take you, you know, wherever. I don't want to... I dunno. Just. Where do you want me to take you, Silly?" The truck's stopped, idling while she turns to look at you, waiting for some kind of answer.
  • Silica

I look around a bit, sitting up a couple inches higher, "yeah, it's good, Misty's is solid, girl... nice warm bed..." I snicker to myself cause I'm so fuckin' bright right? But really I'm watchin' the road. Unexpected dead ends ain't cool.
  • To Silica:

"Since when did you want a warm bed?" K2 asks as she looks over her shoulder while backing up. Her hand is across the backs of the seats while she turns halfway around.

You're currently in a section of town with squat three and four story brick and stone buildings. All shops, in a former life. Signs sit covered with ice, front windows broken and snow covering most everything.

The tires make a spinning sound, like no traction. K2 pours on the gas, but the treuck just spins some more. "Shit!" She stops the truck, leaving it in idle. "Black ice or some shit." She's about to turn off the engine and check outside.

What do you do?
  • Silica

Instead I flip my feet down from the dash and open the door, "sit tight, girl... I go see what up," I swing my feet down to the dill of the door and remember to take my revolver.

'Wheels spinnin' huh?' I talk under my breath to myself as my feet hit the cold ground... maybe I can find somethin' to push with or... something.
  • To Silica:

You hop out, feet hitting slushy ground here. Looks like the soft snow cover was melted, then it refroze. Also, you see lots of crunchy white granules on the ground.

Place looks deserted, empty shops, just the pair of you in a ghost town here. You could maybe look for something to put under the wheel. If you were stronger, maybe you could push it out of the hole.

What do you do?
  • Silica

I stand there for a second with some kind of look on my face then move up to the front of the truck and push, my ass against the bumper... have her hit the gas... but that doesn't do any fucking good and my feet just slip on the ice, almost fall on my ass.

I smile hopelessly up at Kaykay, lit up by the headlights, and start lookin' around for something to jam under the wheel. Piece of wood or something... I don't fuckin' know.. you think I know shit about cars?

Feel like a fuckin' idiot but whatever... do what I can do.
  • You head away from the light of the truck into the dim night looking for wood. The truck stops soon after, and K2 hops out. She's quiet, not asking questions, just checking out what the what.

After looking about, you find a fence. Wood's wasted, but a few boards might work. Inside the hardware store there's probably some tarp or plastic shelves or somesuch that would work, too. Thing is, it's completely dark inside.
  • Silica

"Oh yeah that's just great," I get a foot up against the fence to pry off a board or two (wow I suck at this kind of thing) and pull the busted boards over to the truck, get them under the tires, right? I look at Kaykay like.... I don't know... this good?

I don't feel like goin' into the dark fuckin' store if I ain't gotta... why do I feel like I'm gonna gotta.
  • K2 helps you lay the board flat under the wheels, and she hops in, starts it back up. It crushes under the tire, spitting splinters everywhere. She laughs, "Well damn. I hoped that maybe, but well, no. Wanna go check out that store?"
  • Silica

I shrug that little exasperated shrug, "why not, that ain't creepy at all, right?"

I fish out my flashlight, taking my pack with me... might be some good scavenge in there, never know. I pat the flashlight with a palm, "ain't much juice left but it'll make me an easy target." I dryly joke... true that, though.

Ok... let's do this.
  • K2 slips out of the truck, drawing her revolver. With a serious tone, she says, "If they hurt you... I'll make sure and tell somebody when I run away." She laughs then, and the pair of you cross the street to the hardware store.

As you shine the light, she steps up onto the lip of the ruined window sill, then climbs in. The place has been ransacked pretty well, then left to rot. All the freezing has burst pipes and covered most of the merch, too.

K2 hops in, crouching low, looking around. "Hand me the light and come in, Silly."

Feels like you're not alone, Silica. What do you do?
  • edited April 2014
    Silica

"Yeah fuck you too, Kaykay," i joke, trying to cover my real uneasiness.

We creep into the place, each of us with a revolver in hand, the place don't feel empty when we walk in... it's too dark... I concentrate on the feel of the ice beneath my feet, listen for breath...