[Big Maul] Table Chatter / Out-Of-Character

Comments

• Alright, it looks like HX first pass is done. If you've got any "reaction" HX statements to make and I missed that you haven't done them, please do so now.

HIGHLIGHTS!!!!

Please look on your "sheet" and find who has the highest HX number next to their name (yes, it's whoever your PC has the highest HX "on", not looking at others' sheets).

Tell that player to highlight you. They will pick one of your stats for highlighting in this "session" (which will be about 6-10 scenes, most likely). I, the MC, will choose your second stat for highlighting.

Once stat highlighting is complete, I will have all I need to kick off the first session. I aim to have first scenes up Monday morning.

EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm still missing Hx for Sweet N Sour.
  • You're right, Tod! Thanks for keeping me honest, not sure why I missed that. Sorry.

Benjamin?
  • Hey Rich, I'm new to PBF so I'm curious: Will we start with the traditional follow-the-PCs-around method, or does PBF do better with a different approach?
  • I do a mix of follow-you-around and some directed scene framing,

frex: I'll probably start off a scene with Cache and Jet Black waking up the morning before a big show.
  • Holy Moley!!!
  • Annnnd:
  • "We're in the 1984 section" What was your first clue?

That food court is perfect for a hard hold!
    "Otis" is now a mandatory NPC name.
    It's interesting that, right up until the mall closed, the AMC was a first-run theater.
  • I just recorded some thoughts for MC Diary 001 on the game. I did one pass of light editing, would love some feedback, if you've got a few minutes.

Here it is

(this doesn't have intro or outtro tunes. I add those later in my production process.
  • edited April 2014
    Nice. There's a slight pop in volume when you punch in for the names list segment.

I believe it's pronounced "cash".

"Challenge" ... moi? :-) As far as Jet goes, I have been blessed with the creative cooperation of Niko and Paul, who effortlessly helped make sure the Maestro was not an island. Of course I created Jet himself in such a way that for all his ego he's still a vulnerable character, and he has a propensity to go off scavenging in the ruins for beautiful clothing. Come at me, bro. :-)

I think we have different philosophies on PC-related NPCs. Not that I kill them a lot, but while MCing I consider them mine, not the player's. So when creating Jet Black, the way I see it, every single one of those NPCs is like a loose string I'm handing to you, saying "here's one way to make my life complicated... here's another... here's another..." Especially in AW, with its emphasis on PC-NPC-PC triangles, this cornucopia of human needs and uncontrolled body parts makes a character like the Maestro a lot more "fuckwithable".

You also raised a point about the sedentary nature of the Maestro D' class (a structural trait it shares with the Hardholder). I agree that this is a problem in certain types of campaign. But it can be solved from either side: You can create a Maestro D' who moves around (traveling circus, Sanji the chef from One Piece, etc), OR you can do what we did here, and lock down the entire campaign. I like what we got here.

Sidebar: Did you ever listen to the APs of "Black Diamond" by the Jank Cast? It was their second episodic AW AP campaign. The whole thing (well most of it) took place inside a renovated ski lodge high in the mountains, over the course of a long hard Winter. There were ghostly things coming out of the ice covering the neighboring lake. So everyone was snowbound, and half of them were psychotic :-) Such feelings of claustrophia and isolation can be powerful dramatic tools, and I think we have a cast who can make good use of them.
  • Tod,

Thanks for giving it a listen and the feedback!

You're right about the audio levels being off when I inserted the Names list bit. I slid in a bumper before the break and after that should help. Plus, once I'm done with the rough edits, I'll use Levelator to get the levels more in line, too.

Dangit it IS Cash! Now I need to decide if I'll re-record that bit and insert it in, or correct myself in next week's episode or.... ugh, crap. How could I screw that up?!?!

• Have we lost a player already?
  • Chris, I'm not counting Benjamin out yet, it could be just the weekend.

Do we have any more HX to cover?

Any LINES or VEILS from you all?

For me - I'd prefer that nobody post NSFW pictures on the forum.
  • I re-did the part about Cache and added in some sound bites.

I still haven't levelled everything yet.

Here it is.
  • I have 0-2 modifiers to apply to Hx but I'm waiting until the first round is done to help crosslink us in interesting ways.

Also, there is some media (videos, I'm guessing) embedded in a couple posts above (from yesterday) but they just show up as big white areas on my browser -- blocked, I'd guess. There's not enough commentary for me to know what I'm missing, but I'll try to remember to check them out from home.
  • Oh, I typically assert that I don't have Lines and Veils issues, but actually, graphic depiction of abuse toward children or animals is a place I am unwilling to go. It's just that it has never come up in a game and it feels silly to call it out. But there it is.
  • edited April 2014
    Like a Clive Barker novel, I have no lines or veils. If I have any reason to post anything NSFW I'll upload it to my own web server and just post a URL here.
  • I'm pretty open, and yeah, I'd say that Clive Barker is a pretty accurate description. I mean, I am the non-cis-gendered cat playing Cache, after all.
  • No lines in particular, but I would prefer to veil the things that Chris mentions above.
  • I'll just throw this out there, then. It's unlikely that anything will change the fact that Hottopic has the highest Hx with Cache, so Niko, I'll gladly take your highlight when you feel like it.
  • edited April 2014
    I have risen from the temporary grave that overtime work has seen fit to throw me into. I'll straighten out Hx first, then finish up the character.

EDIT: Hx time!
    Everyone gets +1 with me. The Violence Kings are well known in the Mall, and we're not too subtle.
    I'm an additional +1 with Big Mac - We've known each other for long time, and El Comandante (as I call him) is the only man to have survived telling us to fuck off.

Playboy +1 Hx
    Jet Black +1 Hx
    Hottopic -1 Hx
    Cache -1 Hx
    Big Mac 0 Hx
  • edited April 2014
    Ok my Hx is all done. Hottopic is Jet's favorite new friend in the maul. Cache is the old flame who causes him the most concern, making him toss and turn in his sleep.

HIGHLIGHTS!
    My highest Hx is with Hottopic.
    Hot, honey, if I can call you "Hot"... Which stat should I highlight?
  • Jet, you can call me whatever as long as I get to play with your toys. You should highlight Sharp - I'm impressed with your ability to keep an entire show worth of shit and people in your head at once.
  • edited April 2014
    Righteo, Sharp it is.
  • edited April 2014
    Okay, that's sorted. Please also highlight Hot, Jet Black.
  • edited April 2014
    Just to clarify. It's the person with the highest Hx on MY "sheet" that should be highlighting for me, yes? So I pick Jet's highlighted stat, and Cache would pick mine?

EDIT: Nevermind. Clear now.
  • Yes, that's right. Whoever has the highest number HX on YOUR sheet should choose your first highlight.
  • Hot and Sharp highlighted. My two highest stats. I love you guys!
  • Jet or Playboy, you're equal for my Hx, first one to post gets the highlight.
  • I want to see Sweet N Sour be Cool. In case a shitstorm happens, he's the one who will be doing stuff under fire.

Interesting that the person I have the most backstory with (Cache) is also the person is have the lowest Hx with. I'm going to assume that's a pre-game example of my Hx "flipping over" around the time Cache became a Brainer.

Oh BTW I don't know if the question about Cache's brainer gear ever got answered, but maybe it was amidst the old electronic crap stored away in the back of Hottopic's place? Maybe Hot doesn't even know the extent of all the shit she has back there.
  • Works for me. Hottopic's a magpie for sure with anything that even looks Tech.
  • Sweet, also highlight Hard.
  • Playboy, Jet, and Big Mac all tie on my sheet. So I guess whoever highlights first.
  • WP: Definitely highlight Sharp.
  • Cache, I know you're into it, so I'm giving it to you. Highlight Weird.

Hey Chris, does Playboy hang out wif peeps or is she more of a loner type?
  • Hottopic, also highlight Hot.
  • Cache, also highlight Hot.
  • Aww, thanks Aslf!

Rich-- I totally saw that coming. Rawr.
  • She hangs out. It's sometimes awkward though because her hood tells her to mingle and she doesn't know how, so she just stands near people. But like, if someone talks to her, she can talk back and stuff.
  • OK, to round out my Hx decisions:

Cache was kind and unafraid toward me so I take Hx +3. Niko, can you explain why you defended me last week after I beat that kid up?

I think Hottopic is pretty so I'll modify Hx to +2
  • Cache has the highest Hx on my sheet, so Niko should highlight one of my stats.
  • I'm pretty!
  • @Niko, please highlight Playboy.

@WPTunes, please highlight Big Mac.
  • Big Mac thinks he's smart enough to catch Hottopic IF she wanted to steal from him. Highlight Sharp.
  • Big Mac, also highlight Hard!
  • Playboy is a fellow freak. A lurker on the threshold of what little society we've established. A visible scar of the apocalypse world. Just like me. Highlight Weird.
  • It totally makes sense there's an unspoken bond between Cache and Playboy.
  • Playboy, also highlight Hard!

Now highlights are done, and I'm working on opening scenes. Will have them up ASAP.

EXCITEMENT!
  • Quick question, the fact that Big Mac's Hx with Hottopic is +3; does this imply that she did in fact steal from him?

If it were merely misplaced suspicion, it would suggest that he doesn't know Hottopic at all and his HX with her would be less.

Or is Hx how the other PC's and NPC's view the relationship? Do they think Big Mac has her all sussed out, but in fact he knows shit?

If so, do myself and WPTunes work out some kind of history for the others to discover, or do we work it all out in play and it's just as much of a surprise to us as it is to everyone else?

p.s. Sorry for my absence, I wasn't in work yesterday and didn't have access to a PC.

p.p.s. I enjoyed the podcast, Rich. Once Big Mac and Hottopic have really made each other angry, you can invite us onto the podcast to rip the living crap out of each other. In character of course. I look forward to hearing WP's Hottopic voice.

Big Mac sounds like Mr.T.

I ain't getting on no plane, fool.
  • Alan asked:
    "Quick question, the fact that Big Mac's Hx with Hottopic is +3; does this imply that she did in fact steal from him?"

It doesn't have to. It could easily be that since Big Mac suspects Hottopic, he's been watching her verrrry closely, keeping tabs, poring over every detail about her. Other than the HX statements that you give out, it's a really flexible thing. If you check out how Cache get's HX. Ze just watches folks when they're sleeping. Doesn't mean Cache <.i>likes or trusts them at all. I imagine it sort of like "I know you're tells" in a poker game. Keep in mind HX is used to interfere with another PC's actions. So, it can mean you have defenses up.

HX is not necessarily something visible to others. I've seen low HX between PCs who were very close. And don't forget that HX is far from a static thing. I've seen PCs who were lovers roll over HX without skipping a beat, so there's no way it was "public", right?

PS: Stop talking days off of work, that's obviously the answer for that problem (just kidding)

PPS: Yay! I have something to add to the show before I wrap it up. Paul is recording some chargen thoughts.
  • To All:

As I'm writing the opening scenes, it occurs to me that I should mention a personal pet peeve. While my style of MCing means I give lots of narrative authority to you as players, and I'll ask you to describe how you know NPCs or past actions with those characters, it bothers me (hence pet peeve) when players "speak" for NPCs.

In other words, I'd prefer it if you don't put words in my mouth. Don't script actual dialog for NPCs. That's my most favorite thing to do as an MC, so don't steal it from me, okay?
  • I'll be interested in finding out how Cache knows nothing about Hottopic. It's an interesting blind spot.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm done with two of three opening scenes!!!!!!
  • annnnnd they're up!
  • edited April 2014
    Huh. I just realized that I've interacted with Tod before!

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/35352/keeping-forward-and-its-reason-present/
  • And you're beating me, too!
  • When it comes to it, how will we roll dice?
  • good question, Paul!

First of all, when you roll dice, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you do it in a separate post. Once you post the dice, if you edit anything in that post, a big warning will come up saying potential cheating detected. If I didn't see the roll before you edit, then I have to disallow it.

To roll dice in here, you type
    <_roll_> 2d6+1 <_/roll_>

(without the _ stuff)
  • Like this:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1 . Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 12)
  • Cool. Thanks!
  • whoah, Tod. Nice job of mixing in the song lyrics from the muzak into your opening post. Bravo!

Really liking Playboy's odd attitude. She's weeeird. Hot fetish-wear dominatrix who gets with some old dude?

Hottopic's history in the Maul is so keen, cannot wait to tap into that. Especially how rough she was treated, that's a surprise.

Cache is such a pitiful, lost soul. I weep for zir.

Excited for stuff at the Food Court!
  • An artist needs his torment, yes?

This was totally not conscious, but rereading the chapter I just realized that while Cache's internal landscape is a red-orange desert, Jet's is a raging blue sea. The contrast is perfect.
  • That's a fantastic point, Aslf. I've a pretty major obsession with Mars, and the current opposition has me thinking about it even more. Just picked up The Worm Ouroboros, and it's got me thinking about bizarre or alternate realities on our neighbors.
  • So, of course my first Apocalypse World roll ever is going to be snake-eyes.
  • Well, it's not like you're messing with a system that keeps the entire community alive...what could go wrong? Oh, wait...
  • The astute reader will notice that the character Rich made a junkie is my bookkeeper. :->
  • I hope the Hottopic roll is fun.

oh my that was fun to write, at least.

Tod, Mari is multi-talented, though. Lead Dancer and Dom, too.
  • And Rich/Muzak just dropped Skinny Puppy into Hottopic's soul. Help me, Playboy, you're my only hope.
  • edited April 2014
    That is definitely true about Mari's talents. But right now, considering his shortage of jingle, if Jet knew he'd probably have a few questions of his own for her. Like, how much did all that fancy pharma cost and where'd the jingle come from, kinda thing.
  • This is good shit, gentlemen!
  • It would be SO FUCKING COOL if our character names could appear in the in-game threads where our usernames currently appear. And since I'm considering building a forum system for narrative collaborative play, I guess this is a note to self.
  • You can always edit your username. I've done it for other fora.
  • It won't let me change my username. I'm stuck as VALIS.
  • Is 'fora' the plural for 'forum'?
  • edited April 2014
    Me neither, and yes.

But even still, what if you participated in more than one story, as Rich does? Basically you want the system to filter your alias based on the context of your post.
  • But even still, what if you participated in more than one story, as Rich does? Basically you want the system to filter your alias based on the context of your post.
    T'would be nice. One thing I like about Storium is that it does just that.
  • One could create multiple accounts, but that's an added level of pain in the ass.

Also, I'm glad my daughter has aged beyond her interest in Bob the Builder -- I'd have a hard time with that show now. ;-)
  • Also, I'm glad my daughter has aged beyond her interest in Bob the Builder -- I'd have a hard time with that show now. ;-)
    I took the description text from the Bob the Builder website and mentally "played telephone" with it for that.
  • edited April 2014
    Rich, when Rache says the word "projectors" does she pronounce it
    pro-JECT-ers or PRO-jecters or PRAH-jecters
  • uhm... wow, interesting question. I think she said "PRAH-jecters"
  • I should probably detail my look and choose some gear. I'm a bit confused about what constitutes "regular" gear. Anyone care to enlighten me?
  • I dunno, but in Jet's estimation there are three types of people, and you can recognize them by their clothing. There's people who care what they look like, there's people who dress for their job, and there's people who just scrounged together whatever keeps the elements away. Here in the maul, at least one has a lot of options.
  • edited April 2014
    Hey yall, I gotta go out for an hour or so. I gave Jet a busylist. When I get back he'll go visit Hottopic.
  • Not sure if this comes through correctly...

But I make a Jet Black station on Pandora. For listening while posting in his threads.
  • Noyce! Ok I'm back with a question: If I go see Hottopic, does that start a new scene?
  • It depends. Right now, I would link you into the ongoing. Do an intro post for you, and then let it go. Playing Wii with boy now. post soon
  • Ok. They have a few hours in gametime before I go over there. Somewhere in between, I'm working on songs and prepping the performers with on-the-fly character concepts. I figure Rache has the overalls issue under control.
  • Ok I'm there now. Just edited my last post (which was the die roll post, rookie mistake) and I got the warning dealie. But the roll didn't change.
  • I didn't see it, so it is disallowed.

Please roll a new one.
  • Done. So they have been sitting in this water for a long time, like a couple hours. I imagine this is apparent from the state of their clothes?
  • Well, no, they haven't been sitting there for hours. Keep in mind that they both woke up earlier than Jet Black. Jet Black slept "till noonish". So Jet wrote some songs and then went looking and ended up finding them in the fountain.

So they've been there a couple minutes.
  • Ok cool. That's slightly less weird. :-)
  • I will pretty much never let something like "reality" get in the way of an awesome scene between PCs. :)
  • edited April 2014
    Ok I think "Everybody Eats" is not really what I want to do, that's got to be more about general life info, not happened-60-seconds-ago info. Right? I want to know about right now. Should I change that to a "Read Person" roll? I need an MC ruling.
  • I think Read a Person is a better fit, Tod. Good call.
  • Kill the old roll and roll again? Or apply the old roll to the other move?
  • Hrm... different stat used. Different modifier. Yeah. Roll again, I'll delete that post.
  • Okay, this is my first semi-functional PbF, and my very first A/W game. I just have to say that I'm super-jazzed-up-wow, or whatever. I may respond TOO quickly sometimes. Be patient with me.
  • It's all good, Paul! I'm loving this scene!

(by the by, the edits for v4 of episode one of the show are awesome now, thanks for that audio bit, Paul!)
  • Ok I'm out for an hour or so again. If all goes to plan, Playboy will help me get Hot to the AMC, and while she has some tea I'll explain my show idea to her. But slowly. I want to draw her out of her shock, not overwhelm her.