[SWAW] Ore Maybe Not? (15)

2»

Comments

• Amarath is fingering the snap on her holster that holds in her blaster. She's ready. Hosk sucks his teeth, itching to do something here. The Trandoshan doesn't make a move. seeming to get the vibe.

The Chistori start moving the cargo and Alec Cedeno pulls out a small device, fiddles with the data crystal, hands it back to you. "Eighty five hundred. There you go."

What do you do?
  • Ladro Eyes

I check the crystal. Is the amount right?
  • Yes, exactly so.
  • Ladro Eyes

I blow out a breath, but stay alert, hoping that Hosk and Amy catch the change in attitude. "Looks good, Alec. Thanks for making the adjustment. Hope we'll be doing more business in the future."
  • Amarath's hand slips away from her blaster, but Hosk is still giving the stink-eye to the Trandoshan. The Trandoshan doesn't respond, instead moving a crate onto the repulsorlifter.

With a casual nod, Alec motions his loaders towards the outer doors. "Agreed. Have a profitable day, Captain. Keep in touch."
  • Ladro Eyes

"A pleasure doing business. Be well, Mr. Cedeno."
  • They leave without incident, leaving you with your crew. You meet with Alanna and Squall soon. Anything you want to do before that meeting? Where is it set to go down?
  • Ladro Eyes

The meeting's set, but there's some time left. "Hosk, Jojee, we're set to meet with Squall and Alanna in three hours at a place called Forenz. Amy, keep in touch if you want to ride along when we leave. It'll be soon, I hope."
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath heads for the door, "Sounds good. I'm hitting the tables. Short and fuzzy knows where to find me."

Jojee
    Jojee yawns once, then covers her mouth, "Any way I could catch a nap? I'll crash in your room, if you want."

Hosk makes a pfft noise to Jojee's tiredness, "I'm good to go, Lad."
  • After Amarath is long gone and you're all walking outside the warehouse into the noonday sun.

Jojee
    After her yawn finished, Jojee asks, "When are settling on who sleeps where on ship? Pilot should get first mate's cabin, since it's close to the bridge..."

"I'm the First Mate." Hosk says it like it's a certainty.
  • Ladro Eyes

"We've got a crew of four, once I hire an engineer. It's ridiculous to say someone's First Mate. We'll save that cabin for guests. Jojee, you're my second when we're off-planet, and Hosk, you're my second when our feet are in a gravity-well. Understood?"
    Hosk answers first, in a clipped tone, "Understood."

Jojee
    "Hosk, let's take the cabins adjacent to the First Mate's. They're closer to the First Mate's refresher, and the ones in the hub are smaller. The Engineer can have the quarters next to the workshop." Hosk doesn't disagree.
  • Ladro Eyes

I remain silent. Sometimes leading requires that. It seems a consensus has been reached.
  • edited December 2014
    Three hours later, the three of you walk into Forenz.

Forenz
    You spot Alanna and Squall right away. Squall is wearing a dress you've never seen on zir before, looks almost imperial in a way, but the sleeveless cut sets it apart.
    photo 08fead2ce109735daeb4f09aca53f59e_zps5ed0883e.jpg

As you approach, Alanna and Squall both stand, but Squall moves around to come up to you. ze's smiling as ze does.

"You guys look great! Jojee, your hair looks amazing. Hey Hosk... hi Ladro." She hugs each of you in turn, the last one for you. Ze squeezes hard.

photo Alanna-header_zpsd83b296c.jpg
    "I ordered some appetizers and some bread. Everyone, please, have a seat."
  • Ladro Eyes

I return Squall's hug, a little distance in my head, but sincere. When Alanna makes her request, I sit. As much as I've practiced this, it's not easy. "So, Squall. I'm looking for an engineer for my ship. Tell me why you're suited to the position."
  • edited December 2014
    Hosk digs into the bread and Jojee politely makes like she's eating some of the prawn, mostly so she isn't staring at Squall during her answer.

Squall sits up straight, meets your eyes. Zir smile falters a little, like ze didn't expect this to come at zir so fast. But ze doesn't wilt or look away, simply swallows a bit, then says, "Well, on my last engineering job, I created a nav calculator that saved seventeen percent of the fuel usage for the hyperdrive engine. I can walk you through the calcs if you want. I also created an ad hoc bypass from the back-up hyperdrive engine to the repulsor engines so we could get a thirty percent boost. This was based off some energy relation theories I'd been working on. Of course, this caused some undue stress on the hyperdrive backup and I've researched some maintenance and care that I can perform for the next time. I'm not saying it's not risky, but at the time, it was a calculated risk that paid off."

Ze licks zir lips and takes another short, calming breath, like someone about to jump into a pool of water. "I'm an upbeat person. I want to work with people and help them out when I can. I've... had a problem with spice. You know that. But my head is on right. Alanna's helped me, taught me, ah, how to help myself. I've got my anchors..." zir voice breaks a little.

Squall looks away for a second, collecting zirself. You can see ze forces zirself to look back at you. With quick words, ones ze's prepared but absolutely means, "I don't deserve a second chance, I know I karked up bad. I'm truly sorry, and I am asking for a way to earn your trust again. I... I love you guys. I don't want the way things ended before to be how we ended. I'll... I'll regularly submit to blood and fluid tests, you can hire me on an interim basis, pay me less. Whatever gives you comfort in taking a chance, I'm willing to do it." Zir hands are under the table, but you see the tension in zir neck, the hint of worry in zir eyes. But you don't see desperation, for once. Ze knows this is a long-shot. Ze is not pinning zir entire future on you, Ladro.

Hosk's long since stopped eating. He's just staring at Squall, like maybe for the first time. You know he's not one for being open, for declaring your love for your friends. You're not entirely sure, but his eyes might be wet. Jojee's got her hand over her mouth, she's sniffed once at least. Alanna is watching Squall and you, she seems enthralled with this moment.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I take a sip of water to give myself a second. Once I think I can speak without my voice shaking, I address Squall. "Squall, thanks for being honest, with me and with yourself. I know that was hard, and I'm sorry to prolong this torture, but I'm going to give Hosk and Jojee a chance to ask any questions they might have when I'm done talking."

For the moment, though, Squall is the only person in the room. "I know we all had a lot of drama, back on the Libation, and a fair share of it was mine. I can't run the Margin like that. Not only is it draining and bad for morale, it's dangerous. I had a speech all prepared here, about responsibility and expectations, but I'm not going to use it." I pause for another drink of water. "I think all I have to do is remind you of what you said... that you love us. If you remember that, and behave accordingly, everything else follows."

I turn to Hosk, and then Jojee. "Hosk, I know you'd never admit it out loud, but I know you consider me a friend. I certainly consider you one. It may seem awkward for me to say it, but I do love you. And you, Jojee. And the best way for me to honor that is to be the best captain I can. I'm not giving you a vote, here, but I would like to give you a chance to ask Squall any questions you might have."
    Hosk clears his throat and looks away from everyone, then grunts, "Can we never, ever talk about love again? That's my question."

A bit of laughter bubbles out of Squall, ze puts zir hand over zir mouth, then nods.

Jojee
    Jojee takes a breath, then shakes her head, "No questions right now. Maybe some questions about power conversion from a hypserspace engine to a repulsor engine, but I can wait."

Squall looks to you. As does Alanna, and Jojee. Hosk is pretending to be miles away.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Squall, I would be honored to have you in the engine room of the Profit Margin. You can see about transferring your gear aboard and take a look around, after we finish our meal. Hosk, see if you can find us a cargo to Iyuta, please, and Jojee, I'd really appreciate it if you'd show off Miss Geshix's dress and try to drum her up some business like we talked about. I'll brief you all about our next job over dinner tonight on the Margin. We leave in the morning."

I give Alanna a smile. "Tsin Tsin, thank you again, so much, for your help. Sorry to whisk Squall away so quickly, but time and debt wait for no man."
  • photo Alanna-header_zpsd83b296c.jpg
    Alanna smirks a little, "It's good to see you all reunite. Hosk, Jojee, keep in mind ze isn't cured, ze's in recovery. Every day forward is a series of choices. Squall may be tempted, ze may backslide. If you are zir friends, you'll help zir." Jojee nods. Hosk makes a noncommittal noise, then excuses himself for a smoke.
  • Ladro Eyes

I'm working on two hours of sleep, but at this moment I feel like I could make the Kessel run on foot, with this crew at my back. When the food arrives, I dig in with gusto. "So, Squall, Tsin Tsin told me you've really been helping her out. Have you gotten to explore Devaron much?"
    Squall is eating some green spicy noodles when you ask zir about Devaron. Ze finishes the bite, then answers, "Devaron's a pretty scary place sometimes. They have some seriously harsh laws, and they execute people here. You'd think a government run by females wouldn't be so bloodthirsty, but it is."

Ze laughs a little, "That said, Tsin Tsin took me to some beautiful landscapes, like Red Falls. There's a river where the clay deposits give the water a red color, and the waterfalls are... breathtaking." Ze looks to Jojee and you, "The next time we're here, I'll take you."

Jojee
    Jojee gives Squall an encouraging, "Sounds really great, Squally."
  • edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

"I'd like that. Let's all avoid committing any capital crimes while we're here, okay? It is such a pain in the space heinie to replace crew."
    Squall giggles, "Space heinie always cracks me up, Ladro. Thanks for this."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Of course." I raise my water glass.

The food here really is delicious, and I'm delighted that everything's come together, but I can truly just barely keep my eyes open. I can't help it. I yawn.
  • edited December 2014
    Alanna-header
    Alanna notices your tiredness, "I think we should get back to the house, Squall. Get your gear so we can help move you into your new digs. Ladro, why don't you, Jojee and Hosk head back. We'll be along in an hour or so." She pauses a beat, then adds, "I'm sure Hosk or Jojee can let us in, right? You should get some rest."
  • Ladro Eyes

Stifling another yawn, "That's probably a good idea." I stand up and give Alanna a hug. Tired, and therefore with my filters pretty down, I can't help but say, "You smell good..."
  • photo Alanna-header_zpsd83b296c.jpg
    She squeezes your arm, her body against you, whispering back, "Thank you." Then, a moment later, she adds with a flirty tone, "Mention it to your brother sometime."
  • You head back to the Profit Margin. Do you head to your quarters or do you end up falling asleep somewhere else? You wake up a few hours later, where are you?
  • Ladro Eyes

I wake up on my bed. Not in my bed, but on top of the covers. My jacket's off, but pants and shirt are still on, as is one of my boots. I groan. My eyes are sandy and I feel hungover, even though I didn't have any intoxicants. "Oof."
  • As you come into the corridor, Jojee catches sight of you while she was headed to the bridge.

Jojee
    Jojee grins, "Hey Cap. Glad you got some sleep. Squall's poodoo is in zir quarters, Amy's on board. We're ready to take off whenever you're ready."
  • Ladro Eyes

"So did you go out and wear your pretty dress for the people? How'd it go?"
  • Jojee
    "Miss Geshix needs to make eight dresses, and we'll need to make a return trip soon."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Excellent. Don't worry, Jojee, though. I know you're not just another pretty face." I head to Amy's quarters and knock. When she answers, I pop the question. "So, Amarath, do you want to do something risky and dangerous that'll be a poke in the eye to the Empire? I can offer 200 credits, and unlimited opportunity to get shot at if things go wrong."
  • Amarath-header
    She peers at you for a moment, like she's considering it. She scratches at the back of her neck, then answers, "Two hundred? Free room and board there and back, then."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Free room and board there and wherever's next, after. Not for sure promising we'll be coming directly back here. Hey, you and I also need to figure out what we're doing about Sark's 'destroy the mine' gig."
  • Amarath-header
    She steps closer, right in your face, her cybereye shifting from red to orange, "I like you, Ladro, don't get me wrong. And I need the work. Plus, I hate Sark." She smirks, "But you'll only be able to string me along for a little while before you'll need to pay full price. That said, we have a deal."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Amy, if you have a problem with what I'm offering, I'm sorry. Think about how to approach the mine job while we're on our way to Iyuta, and we'll tackle that next so you don't feel I'm 'stringing you along'. Come up with a plan that's not crazy and involves only the two of us, as much as you can. Or... figure out a way we can come at Sark somehow, take him down. In the meantime, the Margin needs paying jobs."
  • Amarath-header
    "Don't get your panties in a knot, Ladro. I'm not disrespecting you in front of the troops or anything. I said I'll take the job." Amarath says as she walks back into her room and sits on the bed. "I got a few nibbles on Devaron, a few names to chat with, but nothing solid."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Great. Let me know when you have an idea. I'll work it, too. Think about the mine thing, what our approach should be. Thanks for coming along on this job. I'll lay it out at dinner."

Hosk next. A captain's duties are never done.
    You catch up to Hosk in the Engine Room. He's standing by the door while Squall is organizing tools and jabbering away. He sees you straightens up a little, "What's up, Lad?""
  • Ladro Eyes

I know I'm being abrupt, but I jump right in. "Any luck with a cargo, Hosk? It would be great not to make a deadhead run to Iyuta."
    He shifts uneasily from foot to foot, but doesn't look away, "That's an Imperial Colony. Doesn't do poodoo for trade. Got a PX set up local, mostly Imperials on the ground. Best I could get was some fish to drop off a system hop before we hit Iyuta. And... it will pay for fuel, that's about it."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Fuel's paid for already, so that's a bonus. Thanks for arranging it, Hosk. Do you mind giving Squall and I a minute? Briefing at dinner."
  • That accounts for about 500 credits profit

Hosk nods, heads on to check on some pre-flights for the turret.

Squall gives you broad grin, "This is pretty zeng, ah, Captain. Should I go with Captain? I noticed Jo calls you captain. Did you know we have three different sized hydrospanners now? Who's the new girl?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Captain is fine, but not necessary. Whatever feels right to you, Squall. And the new girl is Amarath. She's not crew, just travelling along for the moment. She's going to help out on the next job. But listen, I came to talk to you about something else. Didn't want to muddy the waters with it earlier, but I need you to know this before we leave Devaron."

...and I lay it out for Squall. The whole ugly business. Sark and me. Jojee's reporting of our movements. Hosk's arrest on Kiffu. The jailbreak, and Amarath. Everything.
  • Let's say the Profit Margin is lifting off as you finish.

Squall puts down zir tools and sits on a small swiveling stool to listen. Ze asks some questions and clarifies things. Zir eyes widen at the escape story, ze seems sad when you talk about revealing it to the others and how that went. When you're done, ze hops off the stool and moves in to hug you, "Ladro. I'm glad you trusted me with the truth. We'll kick this Sark guy's Imperial space heinie together, okay? I want to work with Jo on some signal backtracing, though. Kinda wish I knew about this back on the Libation I could triangulate him better. You said Amarath has worked for him? Or works for him now? What's her deal anyway? She seems a little... different."
  • Ladro Eyes

I chuckle. "She's a piece of work. Known her for a long time, since before I left Kiffu for the first time. She's erratic, but talented. Bounty hunter and mercenary, and loves to put herself on the line. I think she'd probably still try to get shot at, even if she wasn't getting paid to. And yeah, she's taken jobs for Sark before, but I think she's ready to end that relationship." I feel the motion of the ship. "Hey, thanks for agreeing to help, and don't reroute any engines without telling me first, okay? Unless it's an emergency, of course." I turn to leave. At the door, I turn back. "And be careful with Amy. She's pretty wild, and I'd hate to see her tangle any of us up."
  • edited December 2014
    Squall smirks, "Technically, you helped with that re-routing." She chuckles a little, then looks at you with a slightly more serious look, "And as for getting tangled up, uhm... it's been a long time, Ladro. Remember on Secundus? And on Vespa? Squally get no action in a long time. Squally's kinda intrigued.... is that okay?."
  • Ladro Eyes

"I'm not trying to be your father. It's just a warning to be careful. I do understand that she's got... attachments for that cyber arm."
    Squall's eyes widen in excitement ze can't contain, "You don't say? That, ah, bears further research." Zir eyes dance with thoughts.

Before ze loses zirself with them, Squall touches your arm, "Thanks, Ladro. And I want to be clear. I do love you. I wasn't just begging to be taken back. I'll earn it. But I've never had friends, and it took some time with Tsin Tsin to show me all that you and Jo... and even Hosk, have done for me. It feels really good to know I'm not alone out here anymore." Ze hugs you again. Then, ze playfully pushes you away, "Now, unless you've got more orders, cap, I need to go punch in some hyperspace coordinates because Jo will take every well-worn spacelane she can, costing us fuel and time."
  • Ladro Eyes

"And I have a chair with my name on it that I should go sit in, so Jojee doesn't get any ideas. I'll brief on the job once everyone has a few minutes to spare at the same time."
  • Anything you want to do before the ship hits hyperspace? Or should we skip to the briefing? How are you calling this? On the bridge? Around the dining table? Somewhere else?
  • Ladro Eyes

The meeting will be around the dining table, once everyone's free of duties for a half hour. I'm ready with the plans and the idents, for everyone but Amy.
  • edited December 2014
    It's been about an hour when everyone gathers. Squall took the longest, ze was really thorough. Hosk, Jojee, Squall and Amarath are all here.

Hosk opens it up, speaking for Amy, probably. "Lad, what's going on with this mission?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"It's an in-and-out to plant a powerful listening device at a vulnerable point below a highly secure Imperial Communications Center near the city of Takari. These are the plans. That's the spot where we'll plant it. We've got the equipment for the job in the hold, and solid idents that will be backed up for a full month for Hosk, Jojee, Squall and me. Questions?"
  • edited December 2014
    Amarath-header
    Amarath nods along, "I take it I'm backup? Come in hot and heavy for evac if things get karked? I'm good to fly this baby."

Jojee
    Jojee gives her a sudden glare, "Actually, Amy. You are NOT good to fly this baby. Not even a little."
  • edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I give Jojee a glance. "Not your decision to make, Jo, but as it happens I agree with you. Amy, you'll be with Hosk and me. Squall will be on comms and ready to come in if we need zir technical skills. Jojee will stick with the ship. She's the best pilot, and I want her at the controls if everything goes ponfarr-shaped. No idents on hand for you because you're a contractor for this, and I didn't have the leverage to negotiate a spare set, just in case." I look around. "Any further questions?"
    Hosk asks, "Do we have any contacts on the ground?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Yes. Fellow named Chilla. Works at a bar called the Rusty Bucket, which I'm sure is a very classy establishment."
    Squall picks at something on the table absent-mindedly, totally NOT looking at Amarath. "What's our cover?"

• Ladro Eyes

I smile wolfishly. "We are but humble merchants, delivering our meager cargo of... whatever poodoo it is that Hosk picked up for us on Devaron."
    Hosk shifts a bit, "I told you there isn't much for trade... it's just fish."

With a pat on his shoulder, Squall says, "Don't worry, Hosk. We'll make it work. We're sharp as tacks and twice as fast."
  • edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I hold up a finger. "Didn't say we were good merchants, Hosk. It's a cover, a reason to land and stay a day or two. Squall, can you rig the transponder codes to fake the Margin's identity?"
    "Aye aye, Captain!"

Jojee
    "Squally? Think you could show me how you do that? Might help in a pinch." Squall nods.
  • Ladro Eyes

So, Squall's getting into the "Captain" thing. I thought I was gonna hate it, I really did. Turns out I was wrong. "Great. Anything else?"

I'm actually pretty pleased with how well I was able to answer their questions. I'm used to planning, but rarely on a scale that incorporates more than one other person.
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath raises a lazy hand, "If the poodoo hits the fan, we cut and run, right? This aint some suicide mission."
  • Ladro Eyes

"If we do this right, there's no reason anyone should know we were there, but if it comes down to it, I'll pull us out rather than risk lives needlessly."
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath leans back in her seat, "That's all I needed to know, Ladro. I'm five by five.."

Everybody else seems comfortable with the info at hand. Jojee looks eager to get back at the helm.
  • Ladro Eyes

I can't resist. I wave my hand regally and say, "As you were, then."
  • Jojee rolls her eyes. Squall snickers, then looks over to Amarath. Amy, for her part, just nods. Hosk is all about it, you know he digs you "stepping up" like this.

Anything else for the trip there?
  • Ladro Eyes

For the rest of the trip, I make sure to spend some time going over the Communications Center plans with Hosk, Amy, and Squall. Finding infiltration points, access to the ancient sewer system, looking for multiple rendezvous points if we're separated, making guesses as to the tech we'll encounter. I don't push it too far, because I know no plan survives first contact with reality, but I do make sure we all have the best possible idea of what we're walking into.

Other than that, the usual. Fitness routine, what-have-you. I did manage to pick up a basic klava setup and the bare minimum of klava and spices while I was on my way to meet Alanna the first time, so I keep Jojee's new habit fed, as well as mine. I learn the ship from Squall as she learns it.

So yeah, I keep busy.
  • The trip passes without incident, which you'd expect, since this is a well-traveled and patrolled section of Imperial Space.

We'll pick up with a new chapter when you land.

--END SESSION--