[SWAW] Corellian Shipments (21)

Comments

Smug son-of-a... well, I recognize that swagger, and I guess I can understand it. I don't stop him from heading to my quarters, but I do wait for Jojee to poke her nose out. For about two minutes. Then I buzz the intercom again.
  • Jojee
    You do have to wait the two minutes. When you buzz, you hear her yell from an area not near the speakers, "Just a minute!"

The door opens a minute later, she's in a fuzzy robe, hair still damp. Her eyes are bright, then she sees you and is momentarily stuck between happy you're back and worried about the paint job. "Hey Cap, welcome home." She moves forward to hug you.

I return the hug. "Been away too much and too long, Jojee. How did things go, babysitting the attention-span twins while I was gone?" It would be way too easy to move straight in on the markings.
  • edited March 2015
    Jojee
    The subject takes her off her defensiveness. She waggles her head playfully, "For the first couple days, Amy sulked because Squally worked seventeen hours straight. Both days. It was intense. Once they got the hull in place, Amy went out and bought some.... new attachments at a black market, then drug Squally off to their quarters for some. You know. Some "them time". I kept an eye on the engineers. It was zeng. We wrapped up a day early, but you were still out there."

"So you had lots of time to come up with creative ideas. Like, say, for the hull markings."
  • Jojee
    She grins again, devilishly. Must've picked it up from a Devaronian male, "I think it's amazing. Amy said it's a powerful symbol of your people. You brother... he was really proud when he saw it.." Yes. She went there.

I sigh. "Here's the thing, though. I don't represent Clan Vos, and my family aren't even remotely high in the pecking order of the Clan." I've accepted my name, but advertising on the ship? Then I have an idea. "How about this... there's another old, old symbol, uhuru, which means 'independence.' Think you could add that in the center of the star? Make it ours." I pull out my datapad and sketch quickly with my finger.

• Jojee
    Jojee looks down at it, nods a few times, her voice suddenly excited and not joking, "This looks great. We should do this as soon as it stops raining!" She looks up at you, "Independence. Like being our own rebels."

I nod. Maybe I should get some custom klava mugs printed up... "Just like that. Is the Margin ready to go? I could use a day to catch up with my brother, if you can spare him, and get some things done, but we need to be on our way to deliver the cargo soonest. Find anything else for Corellia? I know you've been busy."
  • Jojee
    She bites her bottom lip, playing up the decision-making, "I can spare him for a bit. He's not coming with us, even to Correlia. He's taking Lens back to her base." She peers at you. "Are you mad that I kriffed him?" She doesn't sound like she's offering to stop, but it does mean something to her if it bothers you.

"Of course I'm not mad. Even if I was inclined to be, what would be the point? Hey, that distracted you... did you manage to get any other cargo for Correlia to supplement what we have?"
  • Jojee
    This guilty grin splits Jojee's face and she immediately looks down for a second. "Soooo... Amy got us a line on, well, more of those... attachments and stuff. Whole crates of it that the merchant would love to move at a ritzy place like Corellia. 'Cept, I wanted to run it by you. And she wants to sell it, so she'd pay for passage and storage, cut us in on the profits."

"So, this is my life. One day I'm rescuing a famous Rebel from captivity on a planet about to be blown up in a supernova. The next day I'm shuttling... marital aids... for cyborgs." I shrug. "Works for me, though, I guess."
  • Jojee
    Jojee shrugs, "She's got normal people hoozits, too. Maybe you could get something for AJ?" She smiles wickedly, wiggles her brows.

I really need to instill more discipline in my crew. Maybe I could read a book on that or something. "You and Darkal been sampling, Jo? Maybe you could make some suggestions."
  • Jojee
    That gets Jojee's eyes to bug. She didn't expect you to go there. "She has some, uhm, nice lubricants. And tasty oils for, you know, bodies." She seems almost overwhelmed with embarrassment all the sudden, sort of does this washing-her-hands routine. "You should ask Amy, she's a kriffing expert."

I'll count that as a win. "If you'll see to the addition to our new markings once it dries up outside, that would be great. I'm going to settle back in, unpack."
  • Jojee nods her agreement, then heads back into her quarters to finish drying and get dressed.

You pass Amy in the common room. She's sitting at the couch with her feet up on the low table, fiddling with her cyberarm. There's a mug of some foul-smelled intoxicant on the table near her foot. She's concentrating on her work, doesn't notice you.

I clear my throat. "Thanks for keeping an eye on security, Amarath. Any problems?"
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath looks up from her work, "Heya Ladro. Nothing a few bitches couldn't handle. Had more trouble keping Squally from working to death than anything." She smirks, "Bagged a piece of low-hanging fruit. A bail jumper I recognized from the guild rolls. And, I got us a side haul for Corellia. You're welcome, big guy."

"Where would I be without you, Amy? Thanks for everything. We'll probably be about a day before we take off, so wrap up anything and contact your... merchant, alright?"
  • Amarath-header
    "Sure, sure. Nelsaloy is eager to come along. She's been a homebody all her life. This is her first trip off Devaron. I'll make sure she won't be trouble, Ladro. And hey, it's good to have you back. Make sure Squally takes a rest, ok? Tell zir ze did an amazing job, make zir rest during the trip. I kinda miss zir.."

I smirk. "I'll make you a deal. I'll give zir a rest, if you let zir rest, at least some of the time." I pause, my look getting more serious. "I need you to stop pushing on that, Amy. It's not my job to give you space for your relationship, or to convince Squall to make space for it. We all push ourselves when the situation calls for it, and you can trust that I'm keeping an eye to make sure Squall doesn't work zirself into a coma or burnout."
  • Amarath-header
    Amy rolls her eyes, but nods, "Yes sir, Captain sir. I'll let zir rest. Most of the time. But honest, ze is dying for you to be happy with this. It's like ze took on the whole karking mission failure like it was on zir. Or like, maybe, ze thinks it was my fault. Which it wasn't! So don't get any ideas."

One of these days, Amy is going to roll her eyes at me once too often. "I've already complimented her work, and I'll have her take me around for an inspection, so there will be another opportunity for detailed, point-by-point praise. And I'm letting the 'mission failure' go. I stepped away and took my chance. Just as likely something would've happened if I was there."
  • Amarath-header
    Amy listens in, then starts closing up the small open panels on her cyberarm, "Great. Amy approves of this plan. Plan Squally Awesome."
  • Read a Person

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 4. Total: 9)

• How can I get Amarath to stop trying to influence how I deal with Squall?
  • You've got a few options.
    1. Ask Squall to take care of it. Squall will definitely shut it down, but then you'll have a sulky Amarath who will be sulky in front of the crew.
    2. "Beat" Amarath so she respects your word. Not physically, you need to point out how rash she is, how her plans aren't plans, just the naysaying of whatever you say, call her out as a coward and demean her. In front of the crew. Then, she won't challenge you for a while, as long as you continue to be strong. Then, you'll have a lickspittle Amy, who will need your say-so on things for a while.
    3. Fuck Squall. Then Amy will leave.

"Listen, Amarath... Amy. I know you care for Squall, and I know you're committed to the Margin. Can we make a deal? Any time like this, you and me alone together, go ahead and tell me what you think I should do. About anything. Squall, personal hygiene, the next mission, whatever. But stop with the eye rolls and the snark, as much as you can, when anyone else is around. Crew, client, civilian. If I give Squall a task and you're there, let it go. If I lay out a plan, give me your tactical input, not your attitude. Then come to me, one-on-one, and tell me I'm the hind-end of a bantha. Can you handle that?"
  • edited March 2015
    Amarath-header
    Amy sits up while you're talking, has this "who me?" look on her face. She shakes her head slightly, but doesn't interrupt. She doesn't look mad about this at all. When you ask if she can handle it, she replies, "Do you see anyone else here, Ladro? I appreciate you're letting it go about the karked mission, that's zeng of you. Squally's been on edge about it."

She licks her lips, pausing for a moment, which is rare for Amy. "I know I'm rough around the edges. But c'mon, Ladro. We're practically related! Do you think any of the crew actually sides with me? Even Squally does what you say. This is just who I am. I like getting a rise out of you. If that's too much, should I pack my gear and go?"

Patience exhausted, I slam my hand on the table with a sharp report. "Nisikilizeni, dada kidogo! I don't care a sister-kriffing Sith-spit about how you treat me when it's you and me, but I won't have a child involved when the rest of the world is around. Taunt me, get a rise out of me as much as you want, when it's the two of us and only the two of us, but you will at least pretend to acknowledge that I'm your captain when others are in the mix. That's your choice."
  • Amarath-header
    The hand slam has Amarath sitting upright, her eye a bit wild like she's preparing for a fight. She relaxes a little when you berate her, but you do get under her skin a little. Amy looks up at you, asking in rapid Kiffu, "Mimi ni dada kidogo. Wewe ni mayowe saa ndugu yako kubwa badala yake?"

I meet her biological eye, and say in careful Basic, "This is not about anything but you and me, Amarath. Acknowledge what I said and make your choice." This is not the time I expected this to come to a crux, but I'm not backing down.
  • Amarath-header
    Amy watches you for a long moment, like she's making sure this is what you say it is. Finally, her meat shoulder slumps a little and she looks down at the table, "Aye aye. Captain." Her tone is a little glum. "I want to stay."

I nod "yes". "I'm so glad, Amy." A sudden thought occurs to me, and I pull out my datapad. "What do you think of this little addition to the paintjob?" Amy will understand.

• Amarath-header
    She peers at it once she decides you aren't trying to pull something on her. A smile spreads across her face, "That. That is supreme. Uh, captain."

I move up and plant a kiss on Amarath's forehead, kriff the consequences. "I think that sums it up, yeah? Are we good?"
  • Amarath-header
    She doesn't meet your eyes, but nods, "We're good."

That's enough for me. I don't force eye contact. "Okay, I need to go unpack. Glad you're on the team, Amarath Vos-Uhuru."
  • Amarath-header
    Amy's eyes screw up for a moment as she ponders the meaning of yours words. This mouthy, rebellious woman would never have dared to take a name. But now that you've handed her one, you can tell she'll fight to keep it with her dying breath. "Me too, Captain."

Something important just happened, and it's part an artifact of my long hurt and slow reconciliation, and part my determination for the future, and truth-be-told, part my glib tongue and desire to make everything okay for everybody. And I've wrapped Amarath into that, and I can't walk away from it. An instant changes a life. or two.

"No more Shade. Not for me or for you, Amarath. We own who we are. The Force and the Life Tree forgive me."
  • edited March 2015
    Amarath-header3
    "Aye aye, Captain!" Amarath replies with a bit more gusto. She swings her legs around and stands up, "I'll go see if Squally's done out there. We need to eat a meal together!" She pauses, walking over to you, "Hey, you're okay with Darkal and Jojee?" She's really curious about it.

I spare a moment to think about Alanna, and a moment to think about what I've just done. "It's not the best choice, for either of them, but it's a choice. And I won't interfere." That's kriffing cryptic, and this is Amy. "Kriff me, Amy, I think it's a mistake. But I'm keeping out of it, because it's not got anything to do with me."
  • edited March 2015
    Amarath-header3
    Amarath nods, like she might agree. Then, her voice breaks a tiny bit when she asks, "Are you... are you okay with Squally and me?"

Really? Okay. "That's how we started this, right? As long as our Squall is doing what ze needs to, I've got no problems with you or zir chasing happiness." I pause for a second. "It's complicated, relationships among the crew, Amy. I'm holding myself back from saying it's a bad thing. Have been doing that since you and Squall... found each other. You're a wild card, and you pride yourself on it."
  • edited March 2015
    "I'll keep zir on the right track. I will. I, uhm, haven't planned for the future in a long time. But now, well I can." She shifts a bit, then starts to head out.

I let her go. This is far more than I would have expected for something that started casually. A few words have changed both Amarath and me. Vos-Uhuru, what does that mean? What have I done?

As she leaves, I make my way toward my quarters.
  • Darkal-header
    Your brother is bathed and dressed in one of your shirts. When you come in, he smiles wide, walking over to take a seat to chat.

I sit as well, and I can't help but grin at Darkal's casual ease. "Make yourself at home brother." I eye my shirt with a smirk.
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal grins, "I hope you don't mind. I didn't want to take a shower, then still smell like a sweaty mess. I'll get you another." He looks around, "I really like your ship now. Your crew, too. It's amazing what you've done. You've even calmed Amy down. Thought I'd never say that."

I think back on the conversation I just had with Amy, decide not to tell Darkal about whatever madness I've just started. "I can see that you really like my crew. Are you two having fun?"
  • Darkal-header
    The grin fades and Darkal straightens, seems a tiny bit closed. "Yes. Nothing serious. I'm not looking to mess with your crew, Ladro. I didn't even plan on hooking up, just saw her and we'd had that date before and then... one thing led to another." He holds up a hand, "No promises, we're adults, just enjoying each other's company."

Does Darkal do casual relationships?

I don't know if Darkal does casual or not. After not seeing him for over a decade, I've now spent a grand total of maybe less than a day with him over the course of several months.

I hold up my hand. "I've got no problem with whatever you're doing. I trust you and Jojee to keep your poodoo together. I am required by ancient laws of kinship and testosterone to mock, however. It's a rule."
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal's grin pops back on and he nods. "Absolutely, brother." He chuckles, "I will respect you as the captain and not extol the virtues of your pilot. Nor her flexibility. Or any of her other assets." He pauses a beat to let that sink in. Then, "Speaking of traditions. I wholly approve of the ship insignia! Good on you to carry our name, Ladro. Dad would be proud."

"Yes, that. Well... I'm not exactly comfortable representing Clan Vos, given the sorts of adventures I tend to get myself into. So, I'm having Jojee make a little addition." I show him the sketch, wait for his reaction.
  • Darkal-header
    Your older brother looks at the sketch. There's a flicker over his expression and his mouth tightens for a second. He nods, then relaxes a bit. "It suits you, brother. I know you will do it honor."

"What was that look? You started to get angry there, talked yourself out of it."
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal licks his lips for a moment, then answers plainly, "I know Baba accepts you no matter what. I love you, brother. But I'm also my mother's son. I know she would die if she saw this." There seems to be more, but he leaves it unsaid.

"If seeing this would kill mama, then she is a lot frailer than she looks. The addition isn't meant to distance me from my family and clan, it's meant to distance the clan from me. With just the star, some Imperial captain sees the Margin as I'm running away and says, 'The Vos Clan has done this thing.' With the uhuru symbol added, the captain says, 'Ah, that Ladro Vos, he did this thing.' Do you see the difference?"
  • Darkal-header
    A moment of consideration, then he purses his lips. "Yes. I can see that. It makes sense." There's possibly more, but he doesn't challenge further.

"Brother, if there's anything else, out with it now. I am happy to have found my way back to the family, but I can't live in fear of what you think mama will think. I need you to understand, and if I can't know that you do, I'll just paint it over and replace it with a pinup girl or something."
  • Darkal-header
    He huffs a laugh, "No, not the symbol. I like it. It really is you. It's just... Mama wants a grandbaby. I hoped you'd come around someday and be the one to give her one. But the more you and I go out into space, the more I realize Farla's her only shot."

"Life is long and strange, and for us, dangerous. Who's to say mama won't have a whole stableful of fat little grandbabies someday? Stranger things have happened. Wars end, Darkal, even if it sometimes seems they go on forever."
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal shakes his head, smiling. "When did you become an old man?" He's teasing.

I smile with him. "Somewhere between here and there, I guess."

Realizing that this is our first chance at a real, casual conversation, I broach something that I've been wondering for a long time. "Months and months ago, when you and I first 'spoke,' while I was trying to meditate? How much Force training have you had? And who gave it to you?"
  • Darkal-header
    Mention of the Force causes the smile to slip from his face. "Ladro... I can't. I can't talk about it. They're hunted. I'm just talented enough to be a danger to myself, if you can believe it."

I nod, reluctantly. "I'll let it go, brother, but there will come a day when you owe me stories. Let's agree on that now. Old and gray, and hopefully drunk." There's another question. "I have to ask. How is it that you're putting food in your belly? I've been asked a few times why I don't 'join up,' but I owe on this ship, and have a responsibility to my crew."
  • Darkal-header
    Your brother sighs a bit through his nose, answers in a matter-of-fact tone, "We've got some backers, mostly Alderaani nobility that made it off planet, other people who have a grudge against the Empire, some corporations, too. But you don't join the Rebel Alliance to make it rich. I don't have any more than the shirt on my back, and whatever I can requisition. Which is not much." He shakes his head, disappointed. "I wish I could paint a better picture."

"So, the answer is I can't 'join up' until I pay off a hungry Hutt, then? I'm not trying to get rich, not anymore. Jojee dreams of running her own ship; Squall will follow me wherever I go, if I ask; Amarath yearns for mayhem; and Hosk wants his pound of flesh. All good candidates, I think, and a great crew, assets to any cause. But I've still got this debt hanging around my neck, and I can't help if I wind up being the entertainment at a 'torture-and-hors-d'ouevres' party for Hontu."
  • Darkal-header
    "I'm withholding an I-told-you-so, Ladro. Mostly because I think it will work out and I'd end up looking like an ass."

I nod. "You'll inevitably end up looking like an ass, one way or another, Darkal. But I see your point. I'll keep on keeping on, help where I can. Just understand that there will be days when the Margin can't answer the call, because I've got to pay the piper."
  • Darkal-header
    "When that happens, I'll blame the piper, not you?" Darkal asks, a bit of mocking in his tone. "I know you made the best decision you could at the time. But the idea of you being beholden to a Hutt is a burden I wouldn't want for you, brother."

He licks his lips, thinking about how to switch topics, then barrels ahead with, "How is Ahji Dar? Jojee said you took a vacation with her recently." His tone is purposefully neutral.

"Do you know her, aside from our Hosk rescue on Kiffu? I did take some time off to spend with Ahji Dar. She and I..." I shake my head. "I don't know how to explain it. She is doing well. Very well, from what I can see. And we..." I shake my head again, faltering. How to explain this to a brother that wants me to have children so the burden falls off of him?
  • Darkal-header
    "You love her?"

No hesitation, despite all the complications. "Yes."
  • Darkal-header
    He looks at you for a long moment, then nods. "Good enough for me." After a few more pregnant moments, he exhales. "Well, great. Grandbabies are on me, hunh? Mind if I borrow Amy for a little bit?" He grins.

I huff a surprised laugh. "Brother, you're welcome to her. Squall might have something to say about it, though. No one on Kiffu got your eye? You're there more than I am."
  • Darkal-header
    A gentle shrug, looks away. "Ah, Ladro, this is something you'd know that our parents don't. Once you get off planet, meet the rest of the galaxy... people back home seem somehow smaller. You know? More quaint. Plus, I wouldn't put a nice girl through the poodoo I do for the Rebellion."

He meets your eye, "In other words, there's nobody serious. Maybe after the Empire has fallen."

I stand up and grab a bottle off the sideboard. The one with no label, just clear glass and amber liquid. It was a bonus for a job, years ago, and I've only sipped on it once or twice. I grab two tumblers, pour a few fingers in both, hand one to my brother.

"After the Empire has fallen, Darkal." I raise the glass.
  • edited March 2015
    Darkal-header
    He raises his with you, "After the Empire has fallen."

Let's skip ahead. Anything in particular you do with Darkal over the next day? Any topics you want to discuss or bring up?

I think we've covered the "serious" conversation. Whatever time we spend together, I'm more interested in just remembering how to be brothers. I do want to have Squall give me a tour of the repairs, as well.
  • Alright, let's head to the inspection.

Squall's eager to show off how seamless the ship corridors flow through the new section of the ship. Ze explains how everything was completely rewired, that all sub-systems have been installed to match previous configurations, except for the smuggler's sections that exist now.

"We lose only five percent of our total capacity, but we can hide almost a ton of goods, even people for limited periods." Squall explains while closing one of the compartments. "I tried to keep it narrow, and I also had to wait until the heavy lifting was done. This is something only Amy, Jojee and I know about. And well, now you. And Hosk."

I pay close attention and nod at all the right spots. "Everything looks great, Squall. And the hidey holes are karking brilliant. Really well done. I need to start keeping an eye out for ways to take advantage of them." I put my hand on zir shoulder. "Thanks, Squall. I'm a very lucky captain, to have you."
    Squall turns to hug you quickly, then steps back. It's like a load off her shoulders to hear, "Thanks, Captain."

Amarath is there, she seems pleased.

I know this is going to be rather a non-sequitur, but it occurs to me to ask Amarath a question. "Amy, speaking of maintenance and repairs, does your cyber need any attention? I just realized I've never asked what you need."
  • Amarath-header
    That shocks Amarath, you've always let her take care of herself, which is always what she's told you she wanted. "I'm running some aftermarket servos and my coolant is old. I was... I was hoping I could pick up some new parts at Corellia. Won't be cheap, but it will work." She looks over at Squall, who grins at her, then you.

"I'll need to check before I can promise anything, but if we've got some credits to spare after this run, I'd like to chip in. You're crew now, remember."
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath swallows, her eyes widening slightly. Squall squeezes her arm with a warm gesture, then the cyborg nods. Smiles a little smile, "Thanks... Captain."

I return the smile. "We pull together or we fall apart, right? Squally, anything else I need to know?"
  • Squall runs through a few specs, nothing crucial, mostly fine details and some unexpected expenditures that ze kept under control. Amarath is quiet, for once, letting you two work out details without complaining or trying to redirect the conversation.

Hosk pokes his head in during the conversation to ask when you want to lift off, informing you "the merchant" is on her way.

"As soon as everything's stowed and she's settled, then, Hosk. Thanks." If Darkal's on board, I'll say my goodbyes, but we've made sure not to leave any threads hanging, so if he's not it won't be a loss.
  • Hosk takes care of the final checks, you get a chance to say goodbye to Darkal. Jojee gives him her own goodbye, then heads up to the cockpit. As you're standing there watching Darkal walking off, this Devaronian female comes up:

Nelsaloy
    "Greetings, Captain Vos! I am Nelsaloy, dealer in products of pleasure. I am very enthused to be flying to Corellia with you." Her speech cadence is oddly accented, she isn't native to this part of Devaron. She's also using a droid to pull the hoverlift full of luggage. Enough for a month, probably.

"It's a pleasure to have you aboard, Nelsaloy. Let me show you to your quarters." I take her to one of the unoccupied cabins. It's going to be a tight fit with all the luggage, so I suggest that she might stow some with her merchandise. "Please let Amarath or myself know if you need anything. We're often catch-as-catch-can as far as meals, but with a guest aboard, I'll try to be the best host I can."
  • Nelsaloy
    She follows, her wide eyes curious. She asks lots of questions. You also get the impression she's read up on this ship, the model and make, not the Profit Margin itself. "Thank you for your hospitality. You have a lovely ship." She looks in her quarters, sighs softly. "Yes. I may store some of my luggage in the, ah, the hold."

I nod. "The Margin is a beauty, but she's not a luxury vessel. We'll do our best to make sure you're comfortable, though. How should we address your droid companion?"
  • edited March 2015
    Nelsaloy
    Nelsaloy looks over at the droid as it moves luggae carefully into her quarters. It's like she just noticed it when you mentioned. The droid must be a constant companion. "I call it Ay-See. It's an ASP labor unit I've had for years. Rudimentary processor, no weapons."

It stands at four feet, squat, like this:
    Ay-Spee

She looks at you, her delicate features uncertain, "Captain... I have a special request." She hesitates, then asks, "I notice there is no viewport from my quarters. Would it be possible if I could watch us leave Devaron through the cockpit window?"

I remember that. The first time I left Kiffu, thinking I was going forever, wanting to see the planet recede beneath me, but being confined to a four-bunk crew chamber without even permission to slave my datapad to the ship's visual sensors. I've always been hungry for the arrivals and the departures. Particularly the departures.

"Yes. I'll talk to our pilot and let you know when we're about to go. Should be within half an hour. Do you need anything else before then?"

If the answer's no, I'll speak to Ay-See first. "Please let us know, Ay-See, if you need anything."

Then I'll take my leave and swing by my cabin and pick up a bottle of something fizzy to toast Nelsaloy's maiden voyage. Not expensive fizzy, but fizzy. Then join Jojee in the cockpit and her know she's about to have company.
  • Jojee
    "Awww, that's adorable, Cap. Sure, the space virgin can come up here and ride co-pilot. You mind if she hits the button?"

Hey, now. Hit the button? That's a lot of responsibility. Fine. "She can sit in my chair. She can hit the button. Might as well make sure she remembers her first time, right?" I think I hide my disgruntlement pretty well. I really like pushing the button.