[SWAW] Corellian Shipments (21)

Comments

• Jojee
    Jojee chuckles. "Alright then, Captain. Send her up in a few minutes and we'll get underway."

I wait until Jojee seems ready, then trip the intercom for Nelsaloy's room. "You're welcome in the cockpit now. We're ready to take off."
  • In short order, Nelsaloy comes up to watch the Margin take-off. Jojee gives her the full treatment, letting her check out the best view of her planet, letting her hit the button. Then, you're in hyperspace. She stays up there with Jojee for hours, unless you interrupt her.

Anything you do with the crew or Nelsaloy for the next couple days?

I don't interrupt Nelsaloy, and I trust that Jojee will let her know if she's in the way. While we're in transit, I'll chat with the crew about what sort of possibilities we might have for work originating on Corellia. I'm not sure who's got contacts there, so it's an ongoing conversation. I'll also be working on a strategy for unloading the ore without being on the "approved dealer" list.
  • Amarath has little hope for bounty hunting work on Corellia, it's a pretty connected place, the guild there has a network of regular hunters who get the choice work.

Hosk feels good about getting something to haul, but Squally worries about the licenses and, again, bigger competitors having the jobs locked down. It's not going to be easy to worm your way into some jobs here, it seems.

Where there are rich people and regulations, there are rich people that want to circumvent those regulations, and I run a ship that now has multiple hidey holes. I'll see what I can find, and if I have to, I'll contact Hontu and see if he has any underworld contacts that can appreciate discretion.
  • Communication with Hontu will have to wait for Corellia, since you're in hyperspace. The travel passes smoothly. Nelsaloy is curious about most everything on the ship, spending time with each member of the crew, unless you nudge her otherwise. The droid remains inert most of the time. She's a constantly excited by this trip.

After a couple days, you pull into geosynchronous orbit at Corellia. This is the best place to work on your plans to get in and sell this ore, plus contact Hontu. There are space stations here, or you can stay in orbit and work.

What do you do?

Kersten first, if he's still on-planet. I'll send a message and wait. At least this is less Imperial and more commercial. Also, I'll cut him in, or do a favor if need be.
  • Karsten is, in fact, still living and working in Tyrena. He is happy to see you, and yes, for a cut, he'll help you move your cargo once you get on planet.

I have Jojee arrange to set down in Tyrena and ask Karsten to meet us at the hangar. He's a good man, and I feel a lot better with him helping out.
  • Karsten meet
    Karsten meets you near the hangar at a nice overlook showing most of Tyrena. When you come up to him, he turns to offer you a handshake.

Karsten-header
    "Hello, Ladro." he says, giving you a firm handshake. "How are you? Everything work out with your problem?"

I return the handshake. "It did work out, Karsten. Stranger than you can imagine, and unfortunately I can't share the details, but it worked out. You gave me my first lead, there, you know. So, I hate to ask for another favor, but I hope that this one, at least, will benefit you. Can you help me offload this ore?"
  • Karsten-header
    "That," he says with a nod. "That I can do. I'll need a thousand to cover expenses to get it through customs, and I need that up front. However, I can get you a couple thousand more than the going rate for that ore, if it's as pure as what your engineer sent along. Where are you headed after? Might be able to set you up with some work on the way out, if you're amenable."

I arrange the thousand credit transfer right away. "After? Back to Devaron, I assume. Our intrepid passenger is paying for a round-trip journey. Any work is welcome, Karsten. Anything else a vagabond like me can do for you?"
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten looks at you for a moment, as if deciding on something he wanted to say. "There are a pair of being on planet who need to get off planet. Could you help with that?"

I nod. "We should be able to help. Any particular destination?"
  • Karsten-header
    "Devaron is too close for the kind of trouble they want to avoid. But I don't think they can afford much farther to the Outer Rim." Karsten says smoothly. "If you want particulars, I don't think you'll get them. But they most definitely want to avoid imperial entanglements."

"I'll see what I can do for them, Karsten. I'd guess we're going to be on Corellia for at least a few days. Will they be okay holed up until then?"
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten mulls that over for a moment, then answers, "Sooner you take them on, the safer they'll be. Not sure if they can stay holed up where they are now for a few days." He looks past you when someone comes walking by too closely. He continues, "They're hiding out in an associate's basement, but my associate is not happy about the imposition."

"I hate to be crass, but what's the pay, Karsten? Seems like a big risk."
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten's mouth quirks a little unhappily, but he was ready for it. "Just one thousand for the both of them. But, I can write in some indentured work for them. Basically, they owe you another three and will work it off once they're set up and working." He smirks, "They brew some really potent intoxicants."

I whistle low. "One thousand isn't much for two fugitives, especially if they want me to go out of my way, Karsten. Even a thousand and a promise." I hold up a finger to forestall comment while I think for a sec. "I've got something like a home base near a mining outpost. I'll get them there. If nothing else, a mining camp is not a bad place to sell intoxicants. One thousand up front, then one a month for three months."
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten nods. "You may need to help them get set up quickly, but that's fair from my view. When can you pick them up?"

"Tonight, late. I'll need the address so I can plan a route. Any idea where I can get a vehicle anonymously?" I'll take Amy with me. She's got the most experience with extraction, even if this isn't a bounty.
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten provides you with the address, "I'll let me associate know you're coming for a pickup late tonight. Head over to Teshk's. He's a Toydarian who rents landspeeders, should get you something. The deposit will be huge, but if you return it unharmed, he'll fork it back over."

"Teshk. Got it. Thanks. And thanks for your help moving this ore, Karsten. Corellia isn't easy for an independent."

I'll head back into the ship and talk to the crew. Without Nelsaloy present, of course. I lay out the general situation, ask Squall to prepare for us to hide our new passengers. Hosk will work with Karsten to get the ore sold and offloaded, Jojee will take care of the ship and give Nelsaloy a hand if she can, and Amy's with me. We'll scout the pickup location during the day and make some plans for tonight.
  • I think you're being Methodical here, right? Let's see some dice.
  • Methodical (+1XP)

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 8)
  • Amarath-header
    After you pick up the speeder and tool around the neighborhood one more time, Amy asks, "You want me to do the pick-up, you drive? I'm good for it, even if I've only got my vibro-knife."

Corellia has very strict regulations on blasters. Amarath probably has something hidden in her arm, too. But she likes surprises.

My first instinct is to say no, but on consideration there's no reason not to have Amy do it. "Sounds like a plan, Amy. Need to see anything else?"
  • Amarath-header
    She grins a cocky grin, "Nothing here, no. Just do the job, get back, then pull Squally out for drinks and dancing. Oh, we won't be coming back to the ship tonight, if nothing gets karked. I don't want zir to worry about... being loud." She chuckles a bit, then waits for you to let her off.

Amy gets out of the speeder to walk for a block, then walks calm and composed, a hood over her head and long sleeves over her cybernetics. She looks like a thin woman right now, fits in rather well, for once. She heads right up to the two story home, knocks on the back door, which is quickly answered, then she goes inside.

What do you do?

I wait and I trust. Eyes and ears open, engine running, ready for anything.
  • Why don't you Check out the Scene here?
  • Check Out the Scene (using Cool, because I See all the Angles) +1XP)

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 11)
  • A few minutes pass. Amarath appears, followed by a pair of Togruta, a male and a female. They look around nervously, then put on robes. The three of them walk quickly to the speeder. Amy stays in front with you, they climb in back. They have similar noses and head tails, might be related, but there is an age difference, a few years. He says quietly, "Thank you for doing this."
  • edited March 2015

Who or what should I be wary of here?
    What am I missing here?
  • You should be wary of check-points back into the starport. It's pretty well locked down.

The Togruta are brother and sister. Not that you're missing it. Actually, you aren't missing anything.

I nod to acknowledge the thanks as I get us moving. I start with the most direct route possible - we mapped the stationary checkpoints earlier in the day. Backup routes already planned out, if needed.
  • I think you're Acting Smart Under Pressure to get back to the Profit Margin.
  • Act Under Pressure

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • edited March 2015
    You end up taking a back-up route, turning in the speeder and climbing up on a roof to jump over to a big freighter, then dropping down to walk to the ship, but you make it safe and sound. The Togrutas are quiet and serious, not making any conversation. The female seems very worried, but her brother keeps her close and acts protective of her.

Here they are, by the way:
    photo Twantae and Glirtanha.jpg_zpssdkrxtwv.png

If I'm sure no-one's followed us, I'll settle the Togrutas in the common room for a bit. "So, this is not going to be a comfortable trip for you, at least when we're at risk of discovery. But we'll do our best for you. You're going to be in a holding pattern here for a day or two. Let me know what you need. What are your names, by the way? Or at least something we can call you."
  • Twantae-header
    "I'm Twantae," the brother says, "And this is my sister Glirtanha. Thank you for taking us. We have very little credits. You were told this, yes?"
  • edited March 2015

"I understand that. I assume Karsten explained the deal he made on your behalf. I'm curious... what's the nature of your problems with the Empire?"
  • Twantae hesitates, looks to his sister. She steps forward.

Glirtanha-header
    "An Imperial took me as his slave." she says with soft tones. "My brother freed me."

That's enough for me. "We'll get you to the Gristone mining colony. I have some contacts there, and we'll get you set up to start doing business." I ask Squall, Jojee and Hosk to come in, if they're not already here.
  • Squall was around, since ze expected to put them into the hidey holes if needed. The rest of the crew comes to you.

I introduce the Togrutas around to the crew, make sure that they're treated as guests. "Squall, will you show our passengers the hidey-holes, explain how they work? Jojee, please set up a watch-keeping schedule? I'll take the first watch, and please let Amy and Squall have some time to enjoy themselves tonight. Hosk, how goes the ore offloading? Thanks, everyone, and Amy, thank you in particular for your good work tonight. You and Squall are free to go out once you understand and acknowledge Jojee's watch schedule, but be careful."
  • Jojee nods about the schedule, she'll work it out quickly, you know. Squall looks surprised about the "time to enjoy themselves" bit, and Amarath grins.

Amarath-header
    Amarath says, "Aye aye, captain. Glad to be of service.." For once, it sounds genuine.

Hosk reports, "Offloading the ore was tricky. Had to pay off the loader's guild to let me unload the poodoo myself, but they looked the other way for a few hundred credits. We're done now."

There are moments, when this crew is working together, that I feel superhuman and humble at the same time. Like these four unlikely people are an arsenal of amazing power that allow me to aim them at the galaxy, press the trigger, and cause things to happen.

"Thanks, Hosk. Thank you all, again. I'm going to make some klava and settle in to watch the cameras. Twantae, Glirtanha, make yourselves comfortable after Squall shows you how to operate the hidey-holes, but stow any gear you have in the holes, and be ready. If you sleep heavy, turn up the intercom in your quarters all the way, and do sleep in your clothes."
  • You're on your third cup of klava. A squad of stormtroopers have marched around in the same pattern between this sector of the port for the last two hours. Glirtanha comes into the cockpit where you're sitting, enough for you to see her. She clears her throat, but doesn't move where anyone outside could see her.

Glirtanha-header
    "Excuse me, Captain. Do you have a moment to talk?" She sits quietly on the deck, making sure none outside can see her.

"Of course. You'll excuse me if I keep my eyes on the monitors?"
  • Glirtanha-header
    "Of course, Captain." she says smoothly. Out of the corner of your eye, you see she sits there on her butt, pulls her knees close to her chest, turns her head to watch you. "Why are you doing this for us? I know it isn't the measly thousand credits."

"You're in need. It's the Empire. A friend asked, and I owed him a favor. Any one of those, but all three together?"
  • Glirtanha-header
    Glirtanha listens quietly. She thinks on that for a moment before nodding. "I promise we will repay you, Captain. With interest. Our spirits are impressive."

I turn my head slightly. "I'm trusting that you will. Credits are one thing, but relationships are more precious."
  • Read a Person (+1XP)

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 7)
  • Is Glirtanha hiding something from me?
  • Glirtanha-header
    A long moment passes before she answers, "I agree. Relationships are precious." Her tone isn't suggestive, more thankful, but slightly worried. "I appreciate your trust. Is there, ah, anything we can do on the ship for you? Or the crew?"

Yes, something about her story with the Imperial feels incomplete.

"Not at the moment. Once we're mostly clear, we'll see about finding you some sort of work detail." I take a moment to observe the cameras. "This Imperial your brother rescued you from... there's something you're not saying. Is he dead?"
  • Glirtanha-header
    Glirtanha takes in a soft breath. She shakes her head gently. "Yes. He is."

I nod firmly and keep my voice calm, reassuring, as I reply. "We'll just have to make sure we don't get caught, then. Anything else I need to know?"
  • Glirtanha-header
    She looks away, down the empty corridor, for a long moment before answering. "...no." It's a lie.

"Glirtanha. My life, my crew, my ship... all on the line here. Are you certain there's nothing else you want to tell me?"
  • Glirtanha-header
    She can't even meet your eyes when she admits, "He was. He was an... Imperial Governor."

Oh. Oh, my. What was the latest news on Nelsaloy? How quickly can we pull out without messing up her sex-toy mercantile plans?
  • Nelsaloy would need to find someone to move her stock if you pull out. You could leave her here and come back, but that would leave her a bit in the breeze. Otherwise, her last communication was that she needed "a couple days".

"We'll just have to make really sure we don't get caught, then. I'm going to do some business. You're welcome to stay if you like." Without waiting, I do my best to get Karsten on comms, an apology for the late hour ready when and if he answers.
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten brushes past your apologies for the late hour, "What's wrong, Ladro?" He's all business, but you hear some concern in his voice.

"I've just had a chat with one of my guests, and I think it might be best for us to be on our way sooner rather than later. Can you suggest a trustworthy agent to move my original passenger's cargo for her? It's a rather unusual load." I explain what Nelsaloy's goods are.
  • Karsten-header
    Karsten listens to the manifest list, chuckles, then answers after a moment of consideration, "I can sit on the stock and find someone to move it for ten percent. But I'm only the middle man. The seller will pay your merchant for goods sold, and after ninety days, any stock that doesn't turn over, I'll charge her a holding fee." He lists the holding fee amount. It's fair, if a bit pricey. But this is a Core World.

"Thanks, Karsten. I'll be back in touch." Next step is finding Nelsaloy. If she's on the Margin, I'll go to her quarters and wake her. If not, I'll call. Apologies once again at the ready.
  • Nelsaloy
    You find your Devaronian passenger at a very happening nightclub. She comes off the dancefloor when you flag her down. Nelsaloy listens to your apologies, "Good evening, Captain. What's happened?"

"I don't mean to interrupt your business, or your pleasure, but I need to offer you a choice. I've taken responsibility for some very... hot cargo, and the longer we stay, the hotter it gets. I committed to give you time to move your goods and explore Corellia a bit, and I will, but you need to be aware that our risks increase as time passes. If you'd prefer, I've arranged for someone to store your goods and find a reliable agent to sell them, and we can leave soonest. The third option is for us to leave and come back for you in a week or two, if you have the means to stay for that long. If we do leave ahead of schedule, one way or the other, there's no need for you to pay us a cut of your sales, of course."
  • Nelsaloy
    Nelsaloy purses her lips, looking around the club, then at you. She pulls a small datapad out of a pocket, does some quick sums. "Captain, I'd like a guarantee that you'll return within two weeks, or notify me within a week that you cannot so I can make other arrangements. I have a good feeling about the sales I can make here, if I'm careful. I'm hesitant to hand over my wares, no offense."

I nod. "Fair enough. Let me give you the code for Karsten. If you get in a jam, get in touch with him. I'll be in touch within a week, one way or the other. Sorry again. I jumped without knowing how much water was in the pond."
  • Nelsaloy
    She reaches over to pat your arm, "I wanted to travel, and this is a fine excuse to see more of Devaron. Wish me luck with sales, and may the Force be with you on your journey, Captain."

"I wish you all the luck in the galaxy, Nelsaloy. It's been a pleasure giving you a look at a little slice of the galaxy." I give her a hug, if she lets me. "I'll be in touch soon."
  • edited March 2015
    She gives a polite hug, then heads back out to the dance floor, leaving you alone.

What do you do?

Back to the ship. I'll check in with whoever had second watch, leave a message for Karsten that my fledgling galactic trader is staying on-planet and I gave her his public code, then do what I can to make sure the ship's ready to go once Squall and Amarath have returned. I'm tempted to recall them to the ship, but I made a promise to Amy that I don't want to break unless it's a emergency, which this isn't yet, quite.
  • Hosk had second watch. He tells you the ship was boarded and searched, but neither Togruta was found. Jojee is antsy about this, Ladro, you know her well enough to notice. Amarath and Squall return not long after you. They're in a very lovey way, holding hands (Amy's flesh hand), and Squall's all smiles. Amarath gives you a thankful grin.

I announce that we're leaving. "Since we've been searched recently, there shouldn't be much suspicion. Nelsaloy is going to extend her working vacation, she's enjoying herself and thinks she can do well here. So, let's get our space heinies out of here while the getting's good."
  • The crew gets to work, even Amy, who helps Hosk with moving around things for the passengers. Jojee does pre-flights and Squally's excited to be back in zir Engine Room. Within half an hour, your ship is ready to take-off and Jojee cues up Flight Control. The Profit Margin lifts off on repulsor engines and minutes later, you're in space.

The queue for the Correllian Trade Route is backed up. Jojee suggests taking the Hydian Way, which is a less traveled, but still safe route to Gristone.

I have this crew so that I don't have to make all the decisions from a blank slate. I give Jojee the go-ahead for the Hydian Way. I don't want to be waiting in Corellian space any longer than we have to.
  • I'd like to see you Act Under Pressure here to escape the blockade and man hunt without further incident.
  • Act Under Pressure (+1XP)

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 6)
  • The Profit Margin doesn't leave the Corellian system when an Imperial cruiser breaks off from the karking armada parked near the nexus point of the two trade routes. You're in your "captain's chair" by Jojee when they hail you.

"Trader vessel ident Xandin Tango 5-9-560, this is Imperial cruiser The Indefatigable. Prepare to be boarded and searched."

What do you do?

Our Togrutan guests are secure in their hidey-holes already, since this is the most dangerous part of the trip. With a look to Jojee, I respond to the hail. "Indefatigable, we are coming to a stop, preparing for boarding." Off-comms, I say to Jojee, "No choice I can see. Too karking many of them. In Squall we trust."
  • edited March 2015
    Jojee
    Jojee eases back on the throttle, moving the Profit Margin out of the way of the space lanes, "Aye aye, Captain."

We'll skip ahead a few minutes until the shuttle with the inspectors has latched onto your airlock and the door is about to open. How have you arranged your crew?

Yes, both Togruta are tucked away safely.
  • edited March 2015

Squall is in zir engine room, Jojee in the cockpit, both ready to answer questions. Amy, Hosk and I greet the boarding party, with strict orders to let me do the talking if at all possible.
  • I assume no obvious weapons?

The airlock opens and four stormtroopers march in, then move to either side to stand at attention so this Imperial Officer can walk in.

lt_Barrow_Oicunn

"Greetings, Captain." he says, correctly judging you as the leader of the crew. "I am Lieutenant Barrow Oicunn. I would like a tour of your ship. If we can make this snappy, it should not delay you for long." He stands with his hands clasped behind his back, shoulders straight. His voice drops a bit, "If I am led to believe you are in the least bit duplicitous, then I will have your crew in the brig, and I will impound your ship for a very thorough inspection. Are we clear?"

"Lieutenant, it should not take long. We're unfortunately deadheading to Devaron, so the holds are pretty clear. Hard to break in to the Corellian export trade without knowing somebody, I guess." I give a shrug, try to look like just another down-on-his-luck Captain. Which isn't hard, given the situation.
  • Barrow_Oicunn-header
    He takes it at face value, moves further into the ship, starts walking around the main corridor. "What are you hauling, Captain?"
  • edited March 2015

"As I said, deadheading. No cargo on the outbound run, because we couldn't crack the code. This is the first and last time I'll assume I can pick up a cargo willy-nilly on a Core world."
  • Barrow_Oicunn-header
    "Ah," the lieutenant says as if he's figured you out. "Poor planning. A shame. Perhaps next time, you will work through proper channels."

I nod, agreeing emphatically with the Lieutenant. "A failure of mostly trading in the Outer Rim, sir. The channels are looser there, as much as I respect them."
  • edited March 2015
    Barrow_Oicunn-header
    Lieutenant Oicunn ducks his head in to check out your turret. "If you worked in the Core Worlds, you would never need an antiquated gun turret like this. You could trust in the protection of the Empire." He looks back at you, then Jojee, "Then again, I assume this is the best a Kiffar and a Keshiri could get, working in the Outer Rim."

If I interpret Jojee's body language correctly, she's asking, "Can we kill him now, Cap?" I do my best to keep a level head. "That's true, Lieutenant. We should consider making the move to a more... civilized route." I give him a humble smile.
  • Barrow_Oicunn-header
    Lieutenant Oicunn stands back up, watching you, looking to Jojee. "Young female, you should follow your captain here. I can see your sneering, it will only cause you trouble." He points a finger, "That's your one warning."

Jojee
    Jojee looks down, probably to avoid glaring, "I'm sorry, sir. Please don't bring trouble. I don't want trouble."

Barrow_Oicunn-header
    That satisfies the lieutenant. He continues to the engine room, then looks back at you, Ladro. "You have... a Rattataki?" He points at Squall, who was smiling until that bit, and ze shirks back, hiding slightly behind a half wall. The Lieutenant turns on you, "I do not like Rattataki. Criminals, all of them. I'll need to run..." he looks back at Squall, "Her idents for any outstanding abnormalities."

What do you do?

I consider this Lieutenant, what I've observed in the time he's been on the ship. I'd prefer to see him satisfied and gone without doing any running of idents. Squall's might lead to mine or Hosk's, and that would be... unfortunate, I think. I wonder what might be the quickest way to resolve this.