[Fury] Check-ups (Gates and SeaTac 5.0)

Gates and SeaTac,

A few days have passed since the big shindig at Yellowhouse. The inside gang of Safeco has grown, picking up new bodies from around the outskirts and handing them guns and weapons. Complaints from folks being roughed up for minor infractions and the inside gang has started roaming outside, too. In trucks and cars. Right now, it seems like the Admiral's rattling his saber. He hasn't made any big announcements about his plans. Pikers are worried that this could mean trouble.

Today, however, is Motor Duel Day! The Witch of Pike has declared markets closed. That's not good, Gates, because your people haven't eaten in a couple days. Work's dried up, and people aren't saying why they're refusing to hire your people on. Nobody has come to church, even though the place is really starting to take shape. Before the food ran out, construction was coming along nicely. Now, though? Even QuePasa is sitting around with a grumbling belly and sweat on her brow. Fortyfour took off this morning. Did he tell you where he was going?

SeaTac, you and Joey have come by to visit. Have you heard about Gates' people falling on hard times, or is this a social visit? Joey's excited to see Ghost, he's only been talking about it for hours. Never Ghost by name, not exactly, but well, you aren't stupid. When you come up to Gates' place, you see Fremont and Rei sitting outside, on their duffs, just relaxing. Although there's a desperation in their eyes.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited October 2015

This is the kind o' situation where I need the Lord's advice. I'm at a loss without Him right now. Things are bleak, and the folks I would normally turn to are suffering or occupied.

I find a quiet space, sit down, and commune with the Lord. What would you have me do, Lord? How can I bring peace to my family and this place?

Don't tell anyone (it would totally spoil my rep), but this is mostly an excuse for Joey to have some time with Ghost away from SafeCo. I see the two, Freeman and Ray? though, and I feel that steel in my spine. Friendlies or not, you see that look in anyone's eyes, and the hackles rise. Voice careful, I say. "Hey there, friends. Hope you've had a dry day so far. Rev Gates around? Thought I'd stop by and say hello."

Openin' my brain.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 7)

Exp+1

SeaTac,

rei
    Rei looks up, her hair hanging over her left eye, matted to her face and scalp from the moist heat of the day. Without moving too much, she answers, "Morning, friend. Brother Gates is around. Y'all got anythin' to eat on ya? Our day'd go better with somethin' on our bellies." Fremont looks up with tired eyes, nods, but doesn't have the gumption to ask himself. Joey looks at you, worry clear on his face.

What do you do?

Ouch. This doesn't look good. "Cadet, can you get the pemmican out of the travel kit in the car?" I look back to the two folks sitting outside Gates's gates, as it were. "Don't have much, but I'll talk to the Rev, see how I can help."

When Joey brings the pemmican, I give them each a little. Probably not nearly enough to take anything but the edge off their hungry, but at least that.

Gates,

Your people are suffering. No doubt. You find a quiet place, a quiet moment and close your eyes to the weary world.

You know, when the family comes together they can be strong, inspiring, even awesome. But it hasn't happened nearly enough these days.
    They stood with you when Rain came and threatened your peace. They stood with each other when Fortyfour seemed lost. They came to save the Harbormaster’s people and asked little in return.

But here they are, hungry and shivering and feeling a little bit lost.

Aren't they better than this?

Sometimes the Lord shows you something, sometimes all it takes is a moment of clarity to see things a new way.

His screaming face flashes into your mind, that false prophet was telling you to give in and perish... but in this world it's not enough only to carry the shepherd's staff to lead the flock. But also the rod... to defend it. it's no sin to take from the wicked, Brother Gates. Isn't it better that the righteous thrive?

A vision from the Lord?

Or... maybe that's just your stomach rumbling.

SeaTac,

Joey hands off the pemmican, but you see he's palmed a bit more. His eyes eagerly search for Ghost, you know it.

fremont
    "Blessings on ya, Brother SeaTac." Fremont says between bites. "Rev's taken a powerful blow on the hardships. This here's the first I've eaten in a couple days. And water's scarce, too. All our work dried up, folks don't talk with us when we come 'round."

I put a hand on Joey's shoulder quick. "Run along, Cadet. Find Ghost, and if you happen to see the Reverend before I do, let him know I'm coming."

"Fremont, you have any thoughts on why folks're shutting you out? Never seen you all give any cause for treatment like that."

I come outta my prayer dazed. Sometimes the Lord is clear as a bell an' sometimes... well, sometimes he jus' leaves you with more questions. I go walkin' back in the direction o' the family and see SeaTac there.

SeaTac. The soldier. After that vision... is the Lord tryin' to tell me somethin'?

"Ho there, friend. Good to see you again. What brings you out in this direction?"

"In the nature of a social visit, Gates. My cadet's friends with your young lady Ghost, and I figured you wouldn't mind a drop-by." I stop myself from asking directly about what's going on, at least in front of his people. "Never been by before."

Both,

Joey finds Ghost inside the little building these folks call their church. Ghost is seated against a wall, slowly cleaning a pair of someone else's boots with a brush, monotonous work that she puts aside to see Joey. The young man speaks softly to her, offering a healthy share of pemmican and a bottled water.

The rest of the flock stir lightly, but are generally listless. Except QuePasa, who remains vigilant, watching the door as she reads an old set of plastic pages from a weird book.

Quietly, to SeaTac, I say "Well, sadly, yer lookin' at it. We been a little worse for wear lately.Our business has dried up, no idea why. Got a bad feelin' though. A fella came by not too long ago and made threats against us. I'm wonderin' if he's the one behind all this. Wonderin' what we should do about it. Know anythin' about some new around here causin' trouble? Creepy lookin' guy in a robe?"
  • edited October 2015

"Can't say as I'm aware of someone like that... Also can't say I'm good with someone making threats against you folks, though, especially if it winds up with empty bellies and hungry eyes. Anything I can do?"

I yell over to QuePasa. "Que, SeaTac and I are gonna take a quick walk around. You're in charge until I get back. Shouldn't be long. Gonna see what we can see."

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm gettin' at. Something is up. SeaTac bein' here seems like a good time to find out what.

"Walk with me, friend. Let's see if anything's goin' on. It definitely feels to me as if somethin' bad is stalkin' us. Like I said, things have jus' been dryin' up. We had lean times before, but this is unusual. Wouldn't mind yer accompanyin' me as I walked around a bit, asked folks if they knew anythin'. Be nice to get to chat and I'd like yer trained eye fer this sort o' thing as we wander."

I nod. "Happy to join you, Gates. We'll see what there is to be seen." I'll let him lead the way, add my eyes to his instincts.

Gates and SeaTac,

QuePasa gives a confident nod when you put her in charge, Gates, a sort of "I got this" air. The rest of the flock sits around, listless and hungry.

SeaTac, looks like Joey's chatting with Ghost, but he notices you heading out. Do you tell him to stay here?

Walking towards market, which is closed for Motor Duel, by order of the Witch of Pike, you see people are pretty scarce, most of them heading to Safeco. Admiral's got big trucks and guns protecting the way between the holds, no charge. Kite's shop is open, just not serving. Balls is in his shop, too, pretending he's just chatting with passers-by, but selling his junk to anyone he can when the Pike Boys aren't looking.

Thing is, Gates, the few people you pass by, they're avoiding you, moving to the other side of the street, Maybe it's the big gunlugger you're walking around with.

What do you do?

This calls for a read a sitch.

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 7)

Someone or something is alignin' folks against us. I suppose I should ask what I should be lookin' out fer.

Gates,

As you're walking among the stalls and shops, some folks are repairing items or preparing for the next day. You see Barduk the butcher. Just a couple days ago, Gates, he was red-eyed like Easy and Utilikilt. Today? He looks at you with guilty eyes that are surprisingly white and healthy.

Gates, the people are avoiding you, but not without influence. You know of only one antagonist in Pike, a recent arrival.
  • edited October 2015

Hmmm. Let me get to the bottom o' this.

"SeaTac, stick with me. Gotta few questions for folks."

I walk towards Barduk and hail him.

"Hey there, Barduk. How goes your trade? You are looking well. It's good to see. Any cuts to sell?"
  • edited October 2015

Gates and SeaTac,

Barduk-header
    Barduk flinches a little, looks over at you, SeaTac, then down at the giblets and other pieces of meat on his metal table, "Trade's rough, Gates," he lies, doesn't meet your eyes. "This is for Kite," he says about the meat on his table.
  • edited October 2015

Before we head out, I give Joey the sign *Stay*. No need to interrupt his friend time, and it feels like Gates and me have something to figure out.

I nod, following the butcher's eyes down to his table. "Seems an odd choice, having your wares laid out like they were for buying if they're already spoken for, yeah? Sure this whole lot's for the noodle lady?" My tone's casual but when I look back up, my eyes are hard.
  • Barduk-header
    Barduk licks his lips nervously, "It's a good bit of meat, mostly leftovers." He looks at you, SeaTac, "You, uhh, want to buy some, Mr. SeaTac? I could tell Kite that, uh, some of it went bad."

What do you do?

I shake my head slow. "I don't reckon it'd make it back home, but I understand the Rev here was hoping to make a fine stew for his people." We haven't talked about this, but if Gates is short on jingle, I'll slip him a bit on the way. "And I think I might get a taste of that, before all's said and done. So I'll let him choose what he wants."
  • Barduk-header
    Like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar, Barduk stiffens. "Listen, SeaTac... Brother Gates." He finally meets your eyes, Gates. "I can't serve you or yours. I'm sorry. You all should leave." He nods towards the outside of his little stall.

What do you do?

Readin' a person.

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 12)

"Friend, is somethin' wrong? You ain't never been this stingy with me before."

What's Barduk really feelin'?
  • edited October 2015
    Barduk-header
    "I'm alright, Brother Gates, ah, thanks for askin'." Barduk answers. He fidgets, says, "If you and yours want some food, maybe you oughta head to Safeco? It's Motor Duel Day, should be lots of food there."

Gates, he's feeling guilty about denying you food, but scared to give it to you.

"Barduk, I can't help noticing that your, ah, business model seems a little out-of-the-ordinary, if you see what I'm getting at. I'm kind of a direct person, so I'll just ask flat out. What's set you to refusing good, spendable jingle?"
  • Barduk-header
    Not wanting to enrage a stone-cold killer like yourself, SeaTac, Barduk says carefully, "I don't tell you how to do your business, sir. I beg you kindly to let me do what's best for my own" He takes a breath, looks past you both to the walkway just outside his stall, "I don't want any trouble, fellows. Don't want to call for the Pike Boys, neither."

What do you do?

How could I get Barduk to tell me what's goin' on here?

Gates,

You could threaten him, you and SeaTac. He's afraid of you both.

Or you can Manipulate him by using your good works at Pike as leverage. List a good things you've built here, remind him that you aren't a threat.

I gesture with my head towards his cutting board.

"Friend, you had that thing about 8 months now. Looks good as it ever did. That's because one o' mine went ahead and made it fer ya. Don't even think we charged fer it. It was a replacement fer yer old one that was all carved up, iff'n I remember. We ain't yer enemies, Barduk. Nothin'll change that. But whatever's goin' on, we can't help unless you tell us.
  • Barduk-header
    Barduk stares at the cutting board for a long minute, blows out a breath. "Yeah.... That board's served me good." He licks his lips and looks up at you both, "I got the red sick, Gates. A week back. Went out drinkin' with some of the other merchants and woke up with the red eyes. Well... that man from the forest came 'round yesterday, saw me, and offered me some clearwater. Said it'd cure me!"

Barduk looks back down at the giblets, pushing them around with his knife, "I didn't believe him, but I was desperate, you know? Lost an uncle to the red a year ago. Didn't want to go the way he did. Or how Easy and Utilikilt are goin' now. And all he asked in return, and only if it cured me, was to refuse you and yours service till he said so." He swallows, looks up again, "And, so. That's... why I told you I wouldn't serve you."

He's teetering on the edge even now, ready to give you something to eat for jingle, maybe even a lower price. But he sure would like some way to weasel out of this.

What do you do?

"Well, Barduk, I don't blame you fer not wantin' to go out from the red eyes. That ain't no way t' go. But anyone who tells you to starve out other folks without givin' you a good reason, well, they ain't someone we should be listenin' to."

How could I get Barduk to help me rally Pike folks against Rain?
  • Barduk-header
    Barduk's mouth drops open for a moment, his eyes widen. "Gates, no!" He holds up his hands defensively, "I wasn't trying to starve y'all. I figured it was just a spat, right? You could eat at Safeco, or... well, Kite loves ya, she'd sell you noodles at least. I never meant to starve you and yours, please understand."

He's too much of a coward to rally much of anyone, Gates. He'll talk to other merchants if he thinks Rain won't threaten him, but he'll need assurances.

SeaTac, you get the sense that threats would only make him tell you what you want to hear.
  • edited October 2015

"Barduk, do ya know who else this fella has talked to? Maybe I can see what other folks think."

I'm listening to this conversation close, but not saying anything else for now. I've got questions, but I'd rather wait until it's just Gates and me. Don't want to get in the way unless I can do something useful.
  • Barduk-header
    Barduk answers plainly, "I know he gave Balls some clearwater. Heard Kite told him to go spit, but most all the sellers took from him. I'm not. I'm not sure what they think, other than it's gonna be some big fight between y'all. Probably."

He clears his throat, "I hear you and the Witch are good. Partied at Yellowhouse. Maybe she'll help?"

"Hmmm. Thanks fer yer time, Barduk. We'll be on our way."

When we're out o' earshot, I say to SeaTac "Maybe we should go see Vin. She might have a sense o' what to do. What d'ya make o' this, friend?

"Don't think I have all the facts I need, Rev. Understand this Rain's a threat to you and yours, but not why. And if he's really curing red sickness, well... that's a powerful tool."

Gates and SeaTac,

You continue walking between stalls and down the cracked pavement of Pike. People are still avoiding the two of you, but most are busy working on cleaning or other projects.

Anywhere you plan to end up?
  • edited October 2015

As we walk through the stalls I explain a little more about... that fella... comin' to the family. Attacking me, threatening us. Seems he's behind this. Don't know why, but he's got it out fer me.

Ultimately, I'd like to head over to see Vignette, but if Kite is on the way, that's not a bad stop, either. Like Barduk said, at least I could get some noodles.

Gates and SeaTac,

Yeah, the noodle shop is on the way to the place where Vignette holds court now. The place is closed, since everything's closed today, officially. Kites is inside, with her boy, Wotcee. They're cleaning the place, scouring it with foul-smelling liquids and rough brillo pads.

Kites
    Kites looks up when you enter. "Hello there, gentlemen." Wotcee looks up, meets your eyes, Gates. Doesn't say a word, but you feel the comfort he gets from seeing you.

What do you do?

I smile warmly. Kites and Wotcee are good folk. "Well hello there, friends. Thought I might come by to get some noodles. Our stomachs are rumiblin' over where we stay. Folks ain't been too forthcomin' with food fer us lately."

Gates and SeaTac,

Kites
    "We're closed," Kites says as she stands up from her squat where she was scrubbing the floor. She groans a little, hand to her back, "But I've got some leftovers I can share." She starts walking back towards the kitchen.

WotCee
    While his mom is scrounging up food, WotCee keeps scrubbing, but he looks up a couple times, "Rev. SeaTac. What's up?"

I squat down to get a bit more on WotCee's level.

"Well, friend, the family is just a bit hungry and sick. That's all. Don't know what's goin' on, exactly, but it seems someone has convinced folks to not help us out with anythin'. It's left us a bit in the lurch. This fella here and I are just tryin' to get to the bottom of it. I appreciate the help all y'all are givin' us."

Gates and SeaTac,

WotCee
    "Pfft, you mean that washed-up a-hole in his ratty cloak that came around here?" WotCee asks derisively. "That man... can go spit." You're rather sure his mother can't hear him make that comment.

I chuckle a little at that fire in his voice. Maybe Joey could teach him something. "Did he threaten your momma, or you, Wotcee? What did he say when he came around?"
  • WotCee
    "Mom sent me out, said she didn't want the guy to bother me." WotCee says as he looks back down at the tile. He's not so brave around you, SeaTac, but he doesn't clam up. "I stuck close, heard most of it. He didn't say he was gonna hurt her or nothing like that. Just said he had lots of clearwater and fruits and stuff. Like a big bribe. Said he wanted Rev and his flock out of Pike."

"That's troublin', son. He give any indication o' why? Or, perhaps, did he say where he was, that I might be able to go n' look fer him?"
  • WotCee
    "Leenie said he was meeting with the Witch today." WotCee answers as his mom comes back into the room.

Kites
    "WotCee, baby," Kites says in a calm tone, "Can you get the trash out the back?" WotCee nods, and heads back to the kitchen. Kites takes a bowl of noodles for each of you over to a table. "Again, this is me sharing. I won't take no jingle for it, so don't offer. That way I'm not selling nothing." She urges you over towards the food.

I assume you're eating, Gates? What about you, SeaTac?

Kites continues, "That fool Rain spoke all kind of nonsense. Offerin' food and clearwater and stuff, all to starve you out. That's soaked, so I told him to go away."

Of course, she didn't sell you any food just now, either, did she?

Food is the very first thing that a soldier doesn't turn down, when it's on offer. I dig in to the noodles with a slurp before looking back up at Kites. "What was it, made you turn down clearwater and that? Ain't met this Rain, myself, but I think I'd like to get a sense of him."
  • Kites
    Kites refills your glass, Gates, then looks to you, SeaTac, a brief glance, before she answers, "A couple reasons I turned him down. First, Gates has been good to WotCee, talked him out of some real trouble, maybe saved his life." She looks over at you, Gates, then adds, "And two. I don't ever take the first offer. A whole gaggle of merchants and they just up and took Rain's first offer? Bunch of ninny-headed fools. heh."

I smile. "Well, let it always be said that yer one o' the smarter ones walkin' around here, Kites. And let it also be said that me n' the family owe ya."

Rain, huh? I think it's time we head over to Vignette, see what's goin' on.

"Thank ya kindly, Kites. I think my friend and I have a little more lookin' around we have to do."

I turn to SeaTac. I'm sure he know who we're goin' t' see.
  • edited October 2015

I nod to Gates. I get what he's aiming for, so I slurp the last of my noodles. "Kite, thank you for the noodles. I'll stop by again on a day when I can pay for your tasty food." Whenever Gate is ready, I am.

I nod back to SeaTac. We're heading to find Vignette. And hopefully Rain.

Gates and SeaTac,

You head out of the Noodle Shop and down the lane towards the warehouse where Vignette often holds court now. SueB's standing outside, rolling a cig and leaning against a wall.

SueB
    "The Witch has gone with some soaked, dirty fool. They're headed to watch the Motor Duel." SueB answers. "I heard you're on the outs, Gates." She gives you a genial smile, SeaTac.

SeaTac, how does SueB know you? Something to do with Salmon, or something else?

Glad to see SueB got out from under Salmon, but not sure how much better she's off now. She was the first he sent out to "test" me, and I settled it without a bullet, sent her back to report that I wasn't to be splashed around with. "Who's the fool Vignette went out with, SueB? You got a name?"
  • SueB
    "Called hisself Rain. Smelled funny." SueB answers. "Jax hates the guy. He won't last a week."

Look to Gates, like "Seems like Vignette's bought in, yeah?" "Maybe less, SueB. Maybe less."

I nod to SeaTac. "Thank you kindly for the information, SueB. I think my friend and I might take a walk over to the motor duel ourselves, see if we can't catch up."

Vignette and I have been on good terms for a while. I like Vignette. Trust her. No way she's throwin' in with Rain. Somethin' is goin' on, and I aim to find out what. I'm glad I got SeaTac, here, though. This sort o' thing is a bit out o' my element...

Once we're out of earshot, I'll ask Gates a question. "What's your plan here, Gates? When we find Vignette, who's with this Rain fella, it'll likely be in the middle of the Yacht Club. What then?"

"Honestly, SeaTac, I don't know. Problem is, my people... we don't got a lot o' time. Folks are sick. We need medicine and food fast. So I don't feel I got the time to sit around and come up with a big plan. I'm mostly thinkin' I'm gonna go to him and tell him that if he got a problem wit' me then he should take it out on me and leave innocent folks out o' it. Then I guess I hope he don't kill me."

I narrow my eyes. "Don't see me letting this end with you dead, Rev. Just don't see that. Let's get back to my car. I'll let the Cadet know he's got some more time to spend with Ghost, and you and me'll drive over to Safeco."

Gates and SeaTac,

Let's move the travel to a new thread here.