[Snowpocalypse] Table Chatter

Comments

• No question that Silica knows Hadden better.
  • So many people know Rossi a little better... So few people I can actually choose...

Molotov witnessed a lot of shit with Ross this session though, and his opinion of "her" actually changed. So Molotov knows Rossignol better.
  • Guess mine is Dice, who observed at least the beginning of that whole dance with Dubstep.

(Side note: Come see me! I will fix your guns and upgrade your rides and give you sage advice and at least make sure you have the right equipment to be recklessly self-destructive with!)
  • edited February 2014
    I think it's a toss up between Hadden and Ross. But, Ross saw Mol lose his shit a couple of times, even if she doesn't know why, I think she's got a better idea of who he is.

So Ross knows Mol better.
  • It is a toss up for me actually. Hadden or Rossi... both had unexpected encounters and both ended kind of on a sour note.

But for now, Hadden knows Silica better.
  • (Lemma! I am trying to come see you! I have a bribe and work and everything!)
  • Yeah, Last Resort desperately needs your attention Lemma. Just collecting some jingle to make it worth your while!
  • Anyone want new Highlights?
  • Ross definitely knows Dice better!
  • edited February 2014
    Sweet! I would like new highlights!
    ETA: Hadden highlights me.
  • Highlights! Let Hadden highlight me.
  • Rossi, highlight Hot.

Silica, highlight Hot.
  • Rossignol, highlight me.

(Sorry, Dice.)
  • Highlight Weird. I wanna see you cross that gap with my sister... Maybe if we have a scene together I'll tell you why.

:P
  • Actually, Molotov, go ahead and highlight Weird too. You're in a weird place with that ice right now, aren't you?
  • edited February 2014
    Rossi, also highlight Hard.
    Silica, also highlight Weird.
    Hadden, also highlight Cool.
    Molotov, also highlight Sharp.
  • Ross, highlight me.
  • edited February 2014
    Urp...

Highlight Sharp Lemma! (Sorry!)
  • Lemma, also highlight Cool.
  • Rich, with my second highlighted stat changing out, I'd like to keep Hard as my other, please.
  • Jim, re-check, I don't think you were highlighted. Adam highlit Dice in error. Who should highlight you?
  • Ah, I haven't internalized the players names with their PCs, sorry.

Still have the highest Hx with Ross.
  • Then the day is mine!

Highlight Hot, you magnificent bastard!
  • D8ce, also highlight Hard.
  • Loving the D-ice portrayal and all his slang, rock on!
  • Silica and Lemma, can you guys start putting your character names at the top of your posts? It's a little difficult following as-is right now
  • edited February 2014
    I seldom don't.
  • Sorry, that was OOC stuff. Just couldn't tell it was OOC amid all the not-OOC. Mostly Lemma I guess!
  • Re: Rossi's last post — Absolutely nothing personal, Jim! I really like Dice! And I'm not exactly putting a whole lot of money on Rossi right now.
  • Hey I needed a place to look for skegs, established an icebound tugboat turned sledder bar north of the pier if thats cool?
  • Scott, having trouble parsing that sentence, what exactly are you asking? If that's a place the gang might hang out?
  • Adam- The level of PvP is a little jarring right off the bat, I'll be honest. Curious to see where it goes.
  • Jim (Leftahead), you've got a point about trading harm. I pulled that back, it can happen in the next exchange, if that's what Rossi wants.
  • edited February 2014
    Leftahead.

Yes, my character is looking for where the Skegs might hang out so introduced a new location. Wanted to make sure it sounds reasonable to you. Don't think it's their home base or anything, but a place you might find some of them if you're looking.
  • Folks-

I am going to bow out of the game. Thanks so much for letting me in, I had a good time when I was able to post, and I hope you'll let me continue to follow the story by reading along.

At the end of the day, there's two things: first and foremost, I simply can't keep up. My job running the store consume 50+ hours a week, and when con season starts, I can't commit to anything coherent schedule-wise, and I don't want to slow you guys down any more than I already am by only doing a couple of meagre-but-hopefully-entertaining late-night posts a day. They'll only get more sporadic once I start doing the spring shows, and that's not fair to anyone.

Second, is the level of PvP, which I was ready to give a shot but just mostly makes me feel kind of icky fucking over people I don't know in RL. I can't get over feeling like some terrible internet troll, which is totally because I'm OLD and just not used to this kind of semi-virtual gaming. The PvP thing is a challenge in every AW campaign and one-shot I've played, it's a slider that goes all over the place depending on the tone and setup, and this is very much a case of "it's not you, it's me."

Rich, I am AMAZED at how you keep up with all of this, and the amount of effort you put in is nothing short of astounding, and all of you guys are prolific enough to make me weep when I log on at midnight and see 38 new posts apiece when I can only muster 2 or whatever before I collapse.

It's my hope that someday I get to game at a real table with real dice with each and every one of you. (Upcoming opportunities include Dreamation, PAX East and Origins!)

Anyway, thanks so much again for letting me give it a shot, and I'm really sorry I couldn't manage it.

-Jim
  • Jim,

I'm bummed that you're dropping out, but I understand the post rate would be hard to keep up with if you were only able to post at night and working 50 hours a week. Playing with you, even in small glints, was really interesting. Dice was a fascinating PC, the patter and style was unlike any other Chopper I'd seen. I'll miss having him in the mix.

As for the PVP, I honestly believe it was a fault of communication between us. I wasn't sure what you wanted to accomplish in the scene and obviously I failed to mediate the PVP effectively. You stated you were uncomfortable and we didn't find a solution for that dust up. I take the blame for that, and I hope I can learn from and avoid it in the future.

Please don't think of yourself as a troll! I do think there were some missed cues earlier in that scene and in other scenes with Ross/Rossi (where Dice wasn't present) that would have hinted towards her very violent reaction to Dice's decision to harm Jester, but I could have / should have stepped in and gave the both of you a second to talk it through before letting the moves happen.

The level of PVP was something that made you feel a bit worried, I didn't handle it in a way that made you and Adam feel good about it. That was the problem.

In the end, the flashes of Dice we did get helped shape my vision of Snowpocalypse. I'll miss him as a PC, but rest assured, he will not disappear from the game.

I also hope to sling dice with you at a con sometime soon, Jim.
  • edited February 2014
    Jim,

I want to apologize for making you uncomfortable. I mentioned earlier (and want to reaffirm) that Rossi's (read: my) reaction was nothing personal against you, and that I (as a player) immensely enjoy the way you portrayed Dice. I thought everything you did in that scene was logically consistent within the narrative space, and a seed for some excellent fiction down the road — either in a side-conflict between Rossi & the Skegs, or in some measure of mutual forgiveness/understanding between them.

I'm with Rich on the stance that this was probably a communication error — and furthermore, I believe I banked too hard on a trust that I hadn't earned yet. PVP is the kind of thing where you have to have some faith that the person on the other end has something other than themselves in mind, and I should have done a better job of reaching out to you, and looking for ways to help you be OK with either what was happening, or what would happen later, or even just to retcon if the whole situation wasn't salvageable. In any case, Dice's actions were offensive, sure, but they didn't offend me. I presumed you were acting in the interest of the narrative — and that happened to also be keenly aligned with Dice's interests. I sincerely hope Rossi's (and my) actions didn't offend you.

Perhaps the greatest irony is that I used to be very, very squeamish about PVP as well, but I've had the pleasure of playing with some fantastic people — who were initially way too intense for me — and I guess they've worn away my apprehension about it. I do not consider myself a "fantastic player" just yet — especially if my actions were enough to make you uncomfortable.

In the event I ever find myself at a con with you, I would count myself honored to roll the bones with you.

-Adam

P.S. Please do read along, if you enjoy it.
  • Jim,

I totally understand and respect not having enough time. (I have no idea how these dudes put out so much quality writing.) You'll be missed, and I would've enjoyed having a scene together... hopefully that might yet still happen.

I've only had a few true PvP situations at the table, and I've been lucky that they were all with real friends where in-game actions were all about making a more awesome game. RPGs with strangers (or new friends) are always a line to dance with what's cool. Moreso with this asynchronous mode of communication inherent in PbP.

I usually only make it down to BGG.con in Dallas, so find me if you're there.

Mischa
  • Hey wanted to share a post with you guys. The hardholder of an old game posted this, providing some really fine information on some members of his gang. These little personality quirks and conflicts added immeasurably to the richness of the game. A lesson here in dealing with AW gangs and crews, I think:

---

Lala is the bitch with the knifes. She is lithe and sexy, but unfortunately for the rest of us, she only likes boys. Young boys. She is our best recruiter.

O'Bannon? That little piss-ant drunk? Naw. But that crazy mother-fucker Harridan...you know the one in the scary mask, wearing that freaky body armor splattered with red paint? Or is that blood? Well, anyway, there is a rumor that Harridan is really O'Bannon in disguise, because the two are never seen in the same place at the same time. I think it's funny...the only thing worth letting O'Bannon protect is the fucking beer, and even that always disappears

Dremmer is the guy with the wild-hair all dressed in leathers. He was top dog in this area before I showed up. When I gave him the ultimatum, he decided to fold his gang into mine. He's a good soldier, and his gang is devoted to him, but I think if he had the chance, he'd take what I got. He isn't sharp enough to do what I do, but he's only going to learn that the hard way.

Nameless...now if I had to pick someone to inherit it all from me, he'd be the one. There isn't anyone in my gang that doesn't like him. Cool son of a bitch, too. I love him like a son and trust him with my life. It's that girl of his Fauna that I don't trust...she's just ambitious.

Johnny Rev is the punk with the mohawk. Twitchy sum'bitch that one, and fucking psycho, too. Fun to have around just to see what he will do, I tell them. Really, I do it so he isn't stealing apples from the vendors. Mother fucker loves fruit.

Partridge is the albino with the sharp teeth. No, he doesn't really eat little children....I think.

Then there is that freak of nature Diogenes. I never actually asked him to follow us around. Seeing him hobble around like that is just disturbing...its pathetic to live like that, I don't know why he doesn't just kill himself. I'd do it for him, but shells cost tickets. I let him tag along, because if I didn't, he'd just be off stalking the Angel or sniffing her panties or whatever it is he does. Besides, its very cathartic to kick him when I'm aangry.

That guy who told me my money is worthless? Well, I understand my currency isn't good anywhere. I invited him inside, so we worked out a trade like civilized gentlemen. I let him walk out of there with three fingers, a thumb, and both ears. In exchange, we all got coal, and me...I got someone out there to spread the word of how generous Father Atticus is. And no, Partridge didn't eat the scraps. Rumors spread around here like flies.
  • Hadden's second advance, taking +1 cool.
  • What? Like he wasn't cool enough? How do you even measure more coolness!
  • Sometimes you gotta go big or go home, right?
  • Rich,

What does Hadden know about Dice and the Skegs?
  • Dice and the Skegs are pretty open. All PCs are aware of the info on the Skegs and Dice on the Dice character sheet thread.

The Skegs are the fastest folks in Chi-Town. They deliver goods to and fro and often take barter for protection. Dice is the gang leader. Dubstep is his mouthy second-in-command. Wonky is his muscle. The twins Skwee and Bleep are his closest lackeys.

Anything that's happened in game so far, let's say Hadden, Lemma and Rossi know about it. Silica will find out soon enough, too.
  • What does Hadden know about Seatbelt? Is he a Squirrel regular, or just this guy?
  • edited March 2014
    Seatbelt and Squirrel were buddies when they were younger, but that was over ten years ago, something Hadden and Lemma would know, but not common knowledge. They drifted apart and most would think they're strangers.

But they work together on the down low even still.
  • hey Russell, congrats on the new baby! I've left Lemma out of a scene right now so you needn't worry about when to come back in. Let me know when you're up for a scene and if you've got any you like, and we'll kick one off.
  • hey all, I'm ending session here. Please do HX changes (here is preferable over IM).
  • Silica knows Rossi better.
  • Rossi knows Silica better, too.
  • Turns out Rossi knows Hadden better.
  • Sweet!
  • Let's do highlights, yo!
  • edited March 2014
    Hey, Molotov and Hadden are tied to highlight Silica this time so whoever sees it first. :)
  • Rossi, give Hadden a highlight?
  • Hadden, highlight Hard please.
    Hadden, could you highlight Rossi?
  • Silica, highlight Sharp.
    Rossi, highlight Sharp.

Let's see y'all improve your people skills. :)
  • edited March 2014
    Silica, also highlight Weird.
    Rossi, also highlight Hard.
    Hadden, also highlight Sharp.
  • Silica knows Lemma better.
  • And I need new highlights. Could I get one from Rossi?
  • Highlight Sharp, Lemma!
  • Lemma, also highlight Hard!
  • Alright, folks! I've just ended session three! Please do HX for your PCs. Who knew ya better in the last session?
  • Hadden for sure
  • Rossi for totes
  • Guess Haddie knows me betta!

Wow, isn't he a popular guy this session?
  • Does anyone want new highlights?
  • Yes, please
  • OK, who highlights you, Hadden?
  • I'm sittin' next to ya, highlight Silica, Hadden!
  • Silica, I want to see you be Sharp.
    Rossi, highlight me, please?
  • Hadden, Highlight Hot — also, can you please highlight me?
  • Rossi, I want to see you be Sharp also.
  • "Why's everyone think I gotta be sharp?" I use my brain... you know... I'm like a fuckin' albytross over here.
  • "I already know you're weird. I want you to stretch those wings."
  • Rossi, highlight Lemma, please.
  • Weird, Lemma.
  • Hadden, highlight Cool
    Lemma, highlight Hard
    Rossi, highlight Weird
    Silica, highlight Cool
  • We be cool, Hadden!
  • I be Hot and Cool, Silica!
  • WOOT WOOT! All aboard the weird train!
  • Weird sisters... isn't that from Shakespeare? :)
  • hey all, I think now is a good time for end of session four.

Please do HX! Who knows ya better?
  • Hadden, I think.
  • Haddie for sure!
  • edited April 2014
    It's a tough call, but...

Rossi knows Hadden better.

*EDIT*: Marking XP for Rossi Hx progression.
  • Rossi knows Lemma better.
  • Whenever your HX rolls over (reaches +3 and then add one more, so that it resets to +1), you may ask that PC one question which they must answer truthfully. It can happen through dialog or through psychic communication or just "something you found out". But your PC knows it.
  • HEADS UP! I am working in the office today and tomorrow so my posting during the day will be infrequent to non-existent. I will catch up tonight.
  • Does anyone want new highlights?
  • Looks like someone asked for them in chat, I could go for new highlights.
  • Also me.
  • Hadden, highlight me please.
  • It's been Hadden highlighting me... think I'll keep it that way for now cause I'm right here. Hadden, highlight. (Not sharp please)
  • Rossi, highlight Hard.
    Silica, highlight Weird.

Silica, highlight me, please.
  • Hadden, I love when you talk your way out of everything but just this once I think you should be Hard.