[Junk XIII] Gathering the Posse (K 1-3)

Comments

• I swing my shotgun up into my hands, cock it loudly and point it square at Crispin's face. Then in a nice, calm voice I say, "come any frakking closer, and I'll blow his frakking head off."
  • Go aggro, Kiddo.
  • OOC: Going Aggro on the Lib's prospects. Roll+Cool* (Ice Cold). +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 14)
  • edited September 2013
    Sweat beads spring up on his forehead and you got him cold. Crispin didn't think you were that fast. Or that serious.

Twenty Ounce snickers, "Frakkin shoot him, Kiddo!" But Pound Sweet, she looks terrified. This is way more than she bargained for. She is stuck there. The other kid, a hanger-on, he runs off.

Crispin says quiet, "S-s-sorry. Lemme go... yeah?" He licks his lips, like he has cotton-mouth, "Please?"

Then Pound Sweet says, "Please, Kiddo. Don't, don't shoot 'im. I'll give ya my pocketwatch, kay?"
  • I scowl at him, the little frakking pussy. "I ain't robbing you sorry fraks, even though you frakking deserve it, and I sure as shit ain't looking for bribes. You don't wanna get shot? Turn the frak around and walk away. I ever catch you frakkers pulling shit like this again, and my next warning will be a shotgun shell to the face."

I look to Pound Sweet — deadpan — and cock an eyebrow, "Yeah?" I'm nodding like I want her to say it with me.
  • Pound Sweet nods, and with all of her fourteen years in her voice, says softly, "Yeah." She grabs the sleeve on Crisin's shirt and pulls him out of the trance your shotgun had on him. They scamper off.

Twenty Ounce waddles along behind them, "Aww, MAN! I thought she was gonna shoot you good, dumbass! Told you don't bother askin."

Svenja comes down as they're headin off. She huffs a laugh at them, then... she sorta smiles at you? Like white teeth and everything, "Not bad." She grabs another crate, picks it up and heads on. Then one more trip and you're done.

About that time, you hear Chee and Rolo riding up with Rinso and VB. Cheetos is allll smiles as he comes in. "Hey there, ladies!"

What do you do?
  • I chuckle at Svenja's comment. Maybe there's hope for her yet after all... I wave when Cheetos pulls up, and walk up to them. "Hey fellas," I smile back at Vee, "and sweetie. Rinso, can you take care of that last crate with Svenja? Brillo and Hump are out and about with Junker... I don't know where they went." I give VB a semi-worried look, hoping she'll volunteer to go look for 'em while I settle up with Cheetos.

... Speaking of which, I give Cheetos a little reverse nod and smile, "you wanna settle up for your services today, hot stuff?"
  • VB catches your drift. She was riding behind Chee, and hops off, saying, "I bet they're out at Loots or something. I'll go find 'em."

Rinso heads in with Svenja, but he gives Cheetos a sidelong look when you talk about settling up. He doesn't say anything though.

Cheetos gives Rolo a nod. He chuckles, looking at both of you, then rides off. Cheetos scoots back again, pats on the front of his seat and waits for you, "Sounds good to me, Kiddo."
  • edited September 2013
    I wait for Rinso to head in with Svenja, and hop on the chopper with Cheetos. I slide up against him, and adjust myself so I'm pressing right up against him. "Best we get going then. I've got an early day tomorrow, and I wanna take my time."
  • Cheetos face splits with a grin and he revs up the engine, putting your right hand on a handlebar so he can put an arm around your waist under your shirt. He isn't trying to cop a feel yet, but he sure seems to enjoy touching your bare skin.

He rides the bike out through the main center of town, probably to show you off for a minute before heading out to wherever he stays. Do you know where Cheetos lives? Does he live with Rolo?

Sure enough, Kodak is right there, helping to load up a truck with boxes, probably for tomorrow's trip. He doesn't recognize you right off, but then he does a double take. Shakes his head, turns back to his work.

Do you do anything? I imagine not, right?
  • Cheetos has a shack out on the northern end of town. It was his Ma's before she died. Kim said it was liver failure. She drank more than my Dad on good nights. I'm not gunna lie — being paraded out in front of all of Boomtown doesn't exactly turn me on, but being on a bike again is enough to overlook it. Rolo still lives with his Dad, when he's not out on the road, so at least we have some privacy...

Seeing Kodak makes my stomach turn. Of course he would see me... Frakker. Well, if he thinks I'm a slut, he might as well have a reason to, yeah? Shit head. I slump down on the bike and lean a little harder into Cheetos. I want to chide him for the frakking parade, but whatever. I don't have to prove nothing to nobody!
  • Cheetos whoops excitedly in your ear. He's nothing if not appreciative. He catches on that the engine seems to get to you, so he revs it quite a bit on the ride to his shack.

Once you get there, he's all over you. I assume you're not stopping him? His shack is pretty clean, like he is. He has a clawfoot bathtub, a decent mattress for a bed, even a cast iron stove. Of course, he has to spend half a minute undoing various chains and locks with keys he keeps on his bike. But once that's done, he's in a hurry to get you inside and do the deed.

As long as you go along with it, fire off your sex move.
  • I guess the best way to get myself in the mood is to just lose myself in the moment. The power of the engine, and Cheetos' enthusiasm help it all along, then the rest is just psyching myself up. I let him fumble over me, and start tearing his clothes off as he undoes the lock — then before he can even get the door open I'm on him like a wild animal...

And boy, did I ever frak him. Sex is more than just a release for me — folks are vulnerable when you're on top of them. They show you things about themselves they can't see, and tell you things they don't even know themselves. When you're riding someone for dear life, and screaming their name to the sky, folks just talk... Cheetos babbled like a baby.

OOC: My Sex-move questions:
    • who handled this last before me?
    • what has been done most recently with this, or to this?
    • what strong emotions have been most recently nearby this?

A few hours later — when we're both spent, and before he can get all cuddly — I crawl out of the bed and get dressed, without saying a word.
  • Cheetos is no slouch. He tries to keep up, but you wear him out with your youth, and relative to him, experience. And yes, without meaning to, he opens up to you. Without words.

Rolo handled Cheetos last before you. Cheetos has been giving Rolo head on the side for a while now. It started off as a joke on a lost bet when they were reeeeally drunk, but now, it's become a semi-regular thing. And Cheetos is pretty upset about it, because you know, he's totally not gay. He's just Rolo's best friend, and he's helping him out through a rough patch. It's just sex. He's absolutely not in love with Rolo or anything. He's not eager to frak you to prove to himself that Rolo's just his best friend, and that the blowjobs are just sex. And you know Cheetos is completely lying to himself.

And the worst part? It really is just sex for Rolo. He's more than a little jealous of Cheetos right now, but that's because he wants to be with a cute young girl like you, which is exactly what he thinks about when Cheetos goes down on him.

Cheetos is completely out when you dress and leave. He was a little worn out, and a little standoffish once the deed was done. While he won't say why, you know.

Are you walking back home or going somewhere else?
  • Gee, thanks for reminding me I'm more experienced than most folks.

I get dressed quick. Like, faster than usual. I thought being a replacement for other chicks was bad, but being a replacement for a dude while frakking a guy who's in denial? Boy, I'm so frakking glad I could be a disappointing frak for Cheetos.

Damn it.

I spend a bit of time tying my hair up in a sloppy bun in front of his Ma's old mirror, and then head out into the daylight. Why couldn't the bastard just say frakking no? Or just realize he's in love with his frakking partner? Why did he have to use me to get that done? Frakking asshole!

Whatever... I'm done with him. The bastard had better not come around bragging, or I'll out him to his buddy. I wouldn't be so mad if he'd just been frakking honest!

Frak. I'm heading back to town... I gotta set shit up with Kodak anyway. This'll be frakking fun.
  • When you tie up your hair, you get a good look at yourself, Kiddo. How long has it been since you took a real look at yourself? What do you see in the mirror today?

Well, hey, that's easy enough, walking to town. Since you spent so much time with Cheetos, by the time you end up back at the center of town where Kodak is, you see three trucks are already packed up. They're flatbed trucks with a metal skeleton, and all the food and supplies for trading are stacked neatly inside and covered. Kodak is affixing ropes over the canvas cover, testing them, making sure everything is secure. His back is wet with sweat from his labors under the hot sun.

He sees you coming up, Kiddo, gives you a polite nod. He claps his hands together once, done with his work for now, and walks over to you, "Hullo, Kiddo. Dad said your team will be traveling with us in the morning. Are you all... ready to go?"
  • The mirror was just one of those small vanity things – you know, the ones that can flip and move so you can get right up close? I was already shoving my hair up in a bun before I even noticed I was looking into it. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and paused to look at it for a second. I caught myself in a mirror back on the junkship, but I didn't have the time to really look at myself, yeah? Before then, it'd been a few moons since I last saw myself... Back when I was working for Kodak, actually.

I spend some time fixing smudges of dirt, and making myself look pretty — like Vee taught me — and take a moment to reacquaint myself with the face staring back at me. It doesn't look all that different from the scared girl that ran into Auntie Ruth's arms, afraid of what her feelings might mean... She's a bit older, sure, but she's still the same woman. I feel a pang of guilt stab into my side, and that makes me angry again. I reflexively flip the mirror, and walk out.

The walk back to town isn't exactly relaxing, either... I feel like the whole place is watching me, and there's this nagging voice in the back of my head about Cheetos. Poor guy. I'm not going back there, but what's with frakking Rolo, making Chee suck him off like that? Wait, what? Why the frak do I care? If Chee's got feelings for Rolo, then he should man the frak up, and tell him! I don't care if it's not that simple! Frakking hell — I did it, why can't he?

Apparently I'm on autopilot — because Kodak's voice snaps me right the frak out of my train of thought. What did he say? His Dad? ... Oh, Right. "Yeah," I sniff, and wipe my nose on my glove nonchalantly, "Rinso, Vee, and two new girls will becoming along — a doctor, and a gunner. You got space for us all?"
  • Kodak arches a brow, "A doc and another gunner? Good. With Wendys about, we may need 'em. I mean, I hope not, o' course." He gestures to the three trucks, "As long as half of 'em sit in the back, we should be fine. I've got four others, three drivers and me, plus one mechanic. We're traveling light."

He stops a second, looks at you like he noticed something. You can feel it, he's about to ask if you're... no, he shakes it off, "Your team should eat well, we got lots of food to share. Blankets and sleeping bags, it should be a comfy trip, if a bit dangerous."

Kodak looks at you again, and his expression has softened, like he's pushing away whatever is between you two, just trying to talk with you, "Tell me about your new girls. They from around here? Do I know 'em?"
  • I'm looking at the trucks while he talks. What? I'm paying attention! I'm just trying to be professional is all... Flatbeds aren't the best for protection in a gunfight, or even stopping folks from running up to take things off the side. It's gunna be a round-the-clock watch job. Frakking great. Vee's gunna love that...

I'm only half paying attention when I notice he's stopped talking, and I catch him looking at me funny out of the corner of my eye. I pull my head back, and shoot him a weird sidelong glance — but then he's talking about blankets and shit. What the frak was that? I look back at the trucks. What the frak is up with him?

"You seen a chick running around with Rinso? Darker skin, short hair? Kinda cranky sometimes? Her name is Svenja. Her, and the new doc at Kim's. We found 'em out wandering the wastes," I giggle, like them being from anywhere near here would be funny, "they sure as shit ain't from around here, and I'm trying to help 'em get their feet on the ground."

I turn back to him, my arms crossed, "they're on me, Kodak. They're trustworthy... Well, maybe a bit green — but trustworthy."

OOC: Read incoming.
  • OOC: Reading Kodak. Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 6)
  • Kiddo,

Trying to get a feeling off of Kodak only gives him a glimpse into you.
    Answer me this:
    Are you telling him the truth?
    What are you really feeling?

He'll hold the last one based on the first two answers.

He nods, "If you say so, then we'll make room, Kiddo."
  • You know? Yeah... Svenja may be a bitch sometimes, and she's still finding her footing, but her heart seems to be in the right place. That, and Stitch is a frakking great doctor. With Rinso watching out for Svenja, and Stitch along? We're in good shape, I'd say.

As for what I'm really feeling? Every time I come anywhere near Kodak I'm hurting a bit... That shit he said? It hurt a lot — especially since I never did nothing wrong! Well, not then anyway. I just wanna show folks how I feel without being labeled a frakking slut is all, and now every time I hook up with someone I feel like the whole frakking town knows, and is judging me behind my back.

So I frakking love folks enough to give 'em kisses and hugs from time to time, and sometimes I shack up with folks when I'm feeling a bit giddy, or keeping some float for my crew. So what? Some girls in the bar put out every night, for folks they ain't ever even met, and somehow me sleeping with folks for a good time is so much worse... 'Cause Kiddo's a frakking slut. Is it a frakking sin to enjoy your body from time to time?

Frakking asshole Rolo... What the frak is his deal anyway?

I turn away from him, and look away. "Good. We'll keep you safe."
  • edited September 2013
    Kodak smiles, "Good. I like being safe. You need anything for your crew?" He pauses, then adds before you answer, "We're all getting together for supper tonight. Dad's got Quaker Rice cooking up a storm, should be enough for your whole crew. Should even be leftovers."

Alright, answer this last one.
    How could Kodak get you to calm the frak down, stop sleeping around and taking so many chances.
  • edited September 2013
    Kodak's the one who said I slept around in the first frakking place! I'm just doing what he thinks I'm supposed to be doing! I just like getting laid every now and then, is that a frakking crime? I don't sleep around. I just ... Occasionally sleep with folks on a whim... Or in lieu of payment for services... And sometimes because I'm too drunk to say no... But not because I don't want to say yes, yeah? Just... Because I like it!

Frak, I don't know man... You wanna know the truth? I was kinda saving myself before Kodak. Sure, I flirted with the folks I was close to — and a few guys when I was drunk, cause they were flirting back — and I fooled around before I met Kodak, like everyone else, but I swear I never did anything with anyone... Really! Then Kodak went and blew up at me, called me all that shit, and I just couldn't take it, yeah? I shacked up with the first frakker who'd been pining over me, and didn't look back. Now, I don't even want Kodak anymore! I don't know what I want...

Dad told me once that He and Ma' had it rough in the start, 'cause she couldn't figure him out. They were on-again-off again for a long time when I was young. Dad stuck around, but Ma would ride out with her bike gang — sometimes for months at a time. I was always taken care of, but it was a long time before Ma finally settled down and considered herself "with" my Dad.

Ma', on the other hand, told a different story... She told me they had a rough start cause she couldn't figure herself out. She had wicked wanderlust, and had my Auntie Ruth tugging at her arm, hating my Dad for sticking around at the time. Ma was sharper than most folks gave her credit for though, and she did eventually figure out what she wanted. Right now, I'm wishing I could ride out an ask my Ma' how she settled the voices in her head — cause right now, all I wanna do is have fun and build a stake for my crew. The problem is, the only way I can do that is playing it fast and loose with myself... Junkships, sex, and guns. It's a risky world. Why do you think Kodak's running a caravan up north through Wendy territory?

Cause he ain't got a choice is why... Neither do I, as far as I can tell...

"Sure," I mumble, still not looking at him, "I got a bit of shit to take care of. You mind if we meet you there later?"
  • There's another long pause before Kodak answers. He just looks at you for a bit. Then finally, "Sure, Kiddo. C'mon over when you're free. Bring your crew, it'll be a good supper. I promise."
  • I nod, and turn round to leave. "See ya later. Save some of the good stuff for us."

Damn it... Now I feel bad. Where the frak is Rolo?
  • Rolo was giving Cheetos some time, of course. You find him at Loots.

Loots has about ten folks in there, a few Libs, a runner eating some soup, probably delivered something for Loot and this is his payment, and a few travelers. Rolo is eating with the travelers, probably setting up a ferry.
  • I walk up to him, with a no-shit demeanor pouring off me. I pat his shoulder, "C'mon Rolo. We've got business."
  • Rolo looks up, sees you, sort of looks behind you for Cheetos, doesn't see him. Then he shrugs, tells the pair of travelers, "Be right back," and gets up to walk with you.

"What's uh... what's goin on, Kiddo?" he asks it casually, but he's got a little grin going on.

• I walk him out of Loot's and around the corner, so we can have some privacy. Then when we're a little more alone, I shove him hard in the chest back into a wall. I get real close to him, and whisper, "what the frak is wrong with you, messing with Cheetos' head like that? That poor boy spent his whole time pretending I was somebody else — and you know damn frakking well who that somebody," I poke him hard in the chest again for emphasis, "was."
  • Rolo is taken by complete surprise here. When you shove him, he's got this face like maybe he thought he was getting some fun, too. You know, not that he counted on it, but he was hopeful.

For a moment after the accusation, Rolo looks genuinely confused. Then, he gets it, and his mouth drops open a little, eyes widen. He glances around you, to see if you're alone, which I assume you generally are, and says, "He... he told you? Messing with his... what do you mean he was pretending you?"

You're going to have to connect the dots here, it seems.
  • Frakking hells, men can be so thick.

"No he didn't tell me. Ain't you ever paid attention to the people you frak, you dolt? That boy's got real feelings for you, and it's frakking him up inside, and the only thing you give a shit about is getting your damned knob spit-shined." I sigh, and step off a bit. "He was using me to prove to himself he's straight, and he's in his Ma's shack – right now – depressed about what he just discovered about himself."

I wait for him to respond.
  • When you berate him, Rolo shifts uncomfortably. He doesn't deny any of it, though. Then, "What... what did he discover?"

Yes, he really asks that.
  • edited September 2013
    I sigh loudly, "Well, it sure as shit wasn't that he loves me." I cross my arms, and give him a little more space. "I told you, Rolo, he's got feelings for you. Feelings that he doesn't know what to do with. You think this might merit talking to him? I know folks who hanged themselves when they found this kind of thing out."
  • That got his attention. Rolo straightens up, sort of has a look you've seen on someone right after they got punched in the face. Yeah, he didn't know. Maybe he didn't want to know. "He, uhhh... he said it was just for fun, Kiddo. I mean, I tried to, you know, return the favor. But... not even drunk as frak, I couldn't just, get past it. I..."

He licks his lips, clears his throat, "Hang himself? ...frak." He starts to move, finally, not pushing you out of the way, but you're not in his way. Then he looks back at you, "Kiddo... I don't... I like girls. He's my best friend, but, I can't. You know, I can't just lie to him. What, uh, what do I say?"
  • I shoot him a look, like the answer is obvious. "The truth, maybe? Frak man, he's an adult... Sort of... How would you tell a woman you don't feel that way about her? ... Wait, that's a bad idea. If he's your best friend, you need to be more tactful than that."

I walk over to him, a little more relaxed, and give him a level look. "Just don't make him feel bad for what he's feeling. Folks do enough of that to themselves, yeah? Don't leave him hanging here..."
  • Rolo nods, a few times, looks like he's doing tough math in his head, "Alright... okay. I'll, uhm, go talk with him." Then, he says, "Can you tell those travelers, the ones at Loots, that I'll be back in a couple hours? They were headed to Salt. Names are, uhm, KellyTires and Topps."

Then he heads on, not waiting for an answer, just going to get his bike.

What do you do?
  • Now I'm doing his job for him? ... Fine, but he owes me. I dunno who the frak is dumb enough to go to Salt, but that's not my problem.

I'll head into Loot's and fill them in.
  • Alright, Kiddo.

When you head into Loots, you see those two, KellyTires and Topps. They're in the same place, munching on some dried fruit. Oh, and Barinet is chatting with them.

She's chatting away, "...so anyways, yeah, my pops has a place for you. If you two wanna stay overnight, we got a free room, two beds, clean. I'll even cook ya breakfast."

Barinet's talking about her dad, Grande Seville. He runs the little hostel in here. He works with the Ferrymen often, so it isn't like she's snaking anything out from under them.

What do you do?
  • "Might be just as well," I say as I walk up to them, "sorry to bother you folks, but Rolo had a bit of an emergency with his partner. He's gunna take care of it, and be back in a couple hours probably. He mentioned you were both heading to Salt?"
  • Topps looks up, then she pauses to look you over before answering, "Yeah. We're heading to Salt." She narrows her eyes, like she's curious about who the hell you are.

Barinet looks up, winks at you, "Kiddo, have a seat." She nudges a seat beside her back, leans over and pats it. Oh yeah, she's clothed right now, if only just. She still smells of bourbon.

KellyTires cocks his head, "Kiddo?" Then a cautious smile, "Zee and Ollie's kid?"
  • I smile down at Barinet. I don't know how that woman can drink like she does... I mean, I drink pretty hard when the circumstances are right, but this woman... Woof. "Thanks sweetie," I put my hand on her shoulder, friendly like while I sit, but I barely get comfortable before KellyTires mentions my parents...

"Uh, yeah? I figure you're old ... Friends?" I say that last bit kinda cautiously... Folks don't really mention my Dad unless they were friendly. Ma's got a bunch of folks with a bunch of different opinions on her, but Dad? Most folks who know him, like him well enough.
  • KellyTires chuckles, "Are you? Are you calling me OLD??!?"

Topps adds in, "She isn't calling ME old, dad." Her suspicious look goes away and she playfully slaps KellyTires' arm.

He chuckles, "You look like your ma, girl. And I bet you don't remember me, huh? I knew you when you were teeny tiny. I was Jemima's next door neighbor!"

Barinet reaches a hand under the table to gently stroke your thigh. Not too forward, just, you know, real familiar.
  • Well, I wasn't expecting that! My jaw drops, and I lean against the table, "No way! You were Gramma's neighbor? Wait... Were you the guy that helped me pull Pigby out of that mudpit that time Gramma convinced me pigs ate mud?" I catch on that it probably sounded like I was making fun of him, "I didn't mean you were old friends, like you were old old friends... Just, like... You know... old friends, yeah? ... I didn't mean nothing by it."

Holy shit! This is awesome! I only barely catch Barinet's hand on my thigh. I'm more interested in Kelly and Topps, honestly.
  • Kelly laughs a full barrel-chested laugh and slaps the table, "Yes! You DO remember! Hah!" He nudges Topps, who rolls her eyes. This isn't quite as impressive to her.

He lets it go, the old thing. "We're headed back to Salt, Kiddo. Been years since I been home. You know if Jemima is still around?"

Barinet is quite amused by this touching reunion. She's leaning forward to watch you two talk.
  • That's weird, I don't remember Topps... She doesn't look that much younger than me — she must've been somewhere else when I saw Gramma Jema. I don't really give it too much thought though.

"You know Gramma Jema — she wouldn't die unless she wanted to, and she's in no rush for that to happen." What can I say? Stubbornness runs in the women of our family. "Last I heard she was nagging the hell out of S'Mores for not keeping the tribute up... Wait, were you even there during the exodus?"
  • Kelly shakes his head sadly, "Ah, no. I've been away for a while, Kiddo. But, I tell you, seeing Jemima again would be real nice." He reaches over to pat your hand gently and smile. "How have you been?"

Barinet is gently rubbing your thigh, smirking at the glimpse of one who knew you as a child.

Topps' interest has faded a bit, she's looking past you now, not trying to be rude, just, finding something else to look at. Probably Caesar.
  • I nod, and smile at his touch. "I've been good! ... Well, sort of... Times have been a little tough lately in the flats, and I've been looking after things for my brother Humphrey and I." I smirk, "I'm actually helping with security for a caravan heading up north bright and early tomorrow morning — you should stay the night so we can swap stories, and have the ferrymen ride you up with us tomorrow! The Wendy's are pushing out more and more every year, and it doesn't hurt to have a few extra hands on, yeah?"
  • Kelly listens to your offer, then looks over to Topps. She answers for them, "That sounds good, Kiddo. We'll travel with you tomorrow." She elbows Kelly, "You want to stay here and catch up, that sounds great."

She reaches across the table to touch Barinet's forearm, "Why don't you show me your dad's place? I'd like to get some sleep on a real bed." Barinet nods, removes her hand from your thigh, and the two prepare to leave.

What do you do?
  • I smile, "That sounds great. Actually, why don't you both deal with that? I've got to chat with my crew about a dinner tonight — I might be able to get you guys in if you want. Logitech was good buddies with my Dad, he might want to meet you."
  • "I've met Tech before, good man. That sounds great, Kiddo. We'll, uh... we'll be at the hostel." Then the three of them say their goodbyes and leave.

Where to next, Kiddo?
  • I guess I'll gather the crew, and see if I can get an invite for KellyTires and Topps for dinner. I don't imagine it'll be a problem, but you never know.
  • You find VB and Hump sitting on a couple giant spools in the shade of Brio's leather shop on the south side.

VB's small enough to sort of lay on her side like a curled up cat, Hump is sitting up, with his back against the outer wall of the shanty. He's wearing a hat he picked up recently. They're just sitting and watching the vista of the sprawling land out there, and with this house being on the edge of Boomtown, there isn't much in the way.

"Everything ok, sis?" VB asks without raising her head. Humphrey turns to look at you, but you can't quite see his eyes under the hat.
  • "Peachy," I call back in a soft voice, "Logitech is throwing a big dinner, and he wants us there. I met someone who knows gramma Jema... Y'know, busy day..."
  • Hump answers, "More excitin than mine. I puked a bunch, yelled at my big sister..."

"Yeah, but then you got to hang out with a hot girl." VB throws in.

Hump quips, "You're like my second big sister, Vee. You no longer qualify as hot."

VB makes a pffft sound, but lets it go. She says as if she's stating something of great wisdom, "Big dinner equals free food."

Then it dawns on Hump, what you said, he looks up at you from under his hat, "Who knows Jemma?"
  • edited September 2013
    I relax when Hump lumps in puking a bunch with yelling at me. I do feel bad for making him that upset — I mean, he is my little brother after all. I walk over slowly and take a seat next to VB. "A pair of travelers Rolo was trying to convince to ride with him. It's a long story about how we got to talking; but the long and short of it is, KellyTires and his daughter Topps are from Salt. They were Jemima's neighbors back before you were born."

I look over to Hump, and offer him a weak smile, "He's a nice guy — very friendly. He helped me save Jemma's pig when I was a kid. You'd like him."
  • edited September 2013
    Hump grins, "You mean, he was the guy who helped you save Pigby from eating mud? That's classic! I gotta meet that guy." He sits up and hops off the stool, stands closer to you.

"I know I didn't stake claim on Barinet... not that I even could." He reaches up to scratch the back of his neck, "Think I was more pissed that she was into you and not me. I mean, I do have a better singing voice..."

VB snickers. Humphrey grins.

What do you do?
  • Ok, that's frakking funny. I burst out laughing, and throw a hand over my mouth when I snort a little too loudly, "Oh frak... Who told you that? Was it Jemma? That bitch!" I give myself a minute to recover, and grin at him when he jumps off his stool.

Poor kid — Given how hard she bit for me last night, I almost don't have the heart to tell him I think she ain't into men. "See, there's your problem... You need to pick up Dad's guitar from time to time. Singing's a good lubricant, but a skilled set of fingers?" I wiggle my fingers in the air, "that's what hooks 'em, Hump."

I stand up, and put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Hump... I'm sorry I yelled this morning, yeah? And I'm sorry I swiped Bari..." I look over his shoulder, like I'm considering something, "Kelly's girl's pretty hot, if that's any consolation — but she's a bit young for me..."
  • Hump makes a face at your wiggling fingers, holds up a hand defensively, "Sis, please! I wasn't drunk when I walked in on you and her. I don't EVEN want to be thinking about your fingers, ok? Gah." He makes a sick face and a gagging sound.

But then you move up and apologize and your hand is on his shoulder. And just like always, your baby brother, he forgives, right? He slides forward and hugs you, the brim of his hat bumping into your ear.

When you mention Kelly's girl, he draws back and looks interested. I mean, you expected that, right? VB hops off her spool, grabs up a couple half empty plastic bottles of water.

As you're walking back to where, to your place? Somewhere else? "Hey Kids, what did you and Svenja talk about earlier? You know, when we were out in the wastes and you two were waiting around?"
  • Yeah. Hump doesn't hold grudges long... I hug him back, and give him a peck on the cheek where I slapped him earlier — as much as I hate being called a slut, I can't hate on my baby brother... 'Sides, I knew the mention of Topps would cheer him up — he's not a horn dog, per say; but, well, he is about that age...

I tap the brim of his hat back to show a bit of that jet-black hair of his, and put my arm around his shoulder as we start walking back to our shack. I shrug when Vee asks what Svenja and I chatted about, "she wanted to know the rules about frakking folks, of all things... She thought we frakked our kin, and had, like, 20 wives or something." I giggle, "I think she's sweet on poor Rinso. Oh, and she told me that there were shit holes like this back on the old world, and that poor folks have things called abortions where they kill babies 'cause they can't afford to make themselves sterile like folks here..."

I shake my head, "and I thought we were messed up."
  • Hump walks alongside you, smiling. He pushes the hat back a bit, which shows off his eyes better. VB's trailing behind you two as you walk back to your shack. "Sweet on Rinso? That's drek, Kids. She's all kind of wrong for him! We gotta talk sense into him, for serious."

Hump looks at you out of the corner of his eye and asks, "You think Topps likes, you know... boys?"
  • I shrug at Vee's comment... Is she sweet on Rinso? Frak. Is everybody sweet on Rinso? "I dunno... Considering Rinso doesn't frak, as far as I know, I don't think it'll take much convincing... Why Vee? Jealous?"

Then I look over to Hump, "well, they can't all be lesbians, yeah? She was checking Caesar out back at Loot's... Not that I think she's got her eye set on him, or nothing. I mean it's either that, or you've got horrible luck... Which you do. Just chat her up at dinner tonight! Don't be so standoffish, yeah?"
  • VB retorts, "No, not even. It's just, Svenja is such a bitch, and I bet she's a breeder, and, just ew. With Rinso? And she can't join the team, right? This trip, sure, but all the time? Hell to the no."

Hump shrugs, "Chat her up? Kiddo, you know I'm no good at that stuff. And Caesar? He's so.. old. And I thought he was with Stitch?"

You're walking towards the middle of town now, taking the side street to Loots. Are you heading to the garage? Or Loots?
  • Hmm... I may have laid it on a bit thick with Vee. I look back to her, and shrug. "We'll see... Gotta take things one step at a time, yeah? We don't even know what's up with Stitch and them yet anyway."

I turn back to Hump. "Pincushion is old, and I think he is with Stitch. She didn't make me save his life for nothing, I'd bet. Anyway, I don't think you gotta worry about that, yeah? All you've gotta do is be the charming young man you are — y'know, talk to her — and you'll do fine. Take a page from Dad's book, and be a suave motherfrakker."

I suppose we could chill at Loot's. That way we can let Caesar know what's up, and get Stitch out to the feast.
  • edited September 2013
    Hump snorts at the charming young man bit. But when you drop your dad in there, he looks at you all serious. He always gets a little serious when Oliver is mentioned, it's a trigger to get his attention.

When you head into Loots, the place is pretty dead. Caesar's gone. Loot's behind the bar, fiddling with some electronic device that plays games. She's always got that damn thing with her nowadays, some flash find she adores. Braeburn is sitting with Jonamac, just chatting. Who are you less happy to see of those two?

VB walks right over to sit by Jonamac, "Jonnneee!" He smirks up at her. As soon as Vee sits down, she's putting her robotic leg up on the table, "Jon, can you lookee here?" And of course, you know he's gonna look there. And help her with any problems with the leg, too.

Hump is headed to the bar.

What do you do?
  • He's still doing that, huh? ... Well... It ain't like we expected them to not come back, and Hump needs his dad... It just isn't like them, is all. As weird as their disappearance was, I've still got fond memories of them. Whatever their reason for not coming back is, I'm sure it's got to be a frakking good one... So long as they're not dead, that is...

Anyway, my face turns sour when I spot Jonamac sitting with Braeburn in the corner. I wish that frakker would quit toying with VB... I swear! Of all the men in the world, and with all of VB's looks, Jon holds some sort of bullshit power over her I can't understand. I give Hump a kiss on the cheek before he heads over to the bar, then walk over to Brae and Jon. Brae's alright though... If not for being a Lib.

"Hey boys," I punch Braeburn playfully in his shoulder as I approach, "What was that bullshit about your pledges haunting my shack earlier?"
  • Braeburn cocks his head in surprise, like this was news to him.

Jon chuckles, his hands already on VB's leg, exploring the gears and valves along what would be her thigh, "That's what Twenty was joking about earlier? I told you Cripsin bit off more than he could chew. heh."

To that, Braeburn shrugs, "They gave you trouble, darlin? They should know better. Did you frak them up?" He looks down at the seat beside him, inviting you to sit.
  • I shrug, "I don't think they knew what they were doing, and I didn't frak 'em up any more than usual... Nothing a little pot won't help 'em get over — maybe a new pair of pants for Crispin and Pound Sweet. Emotional trauma and all that."

I sit beside him, and lean back on my chair. "You folks been called in by Logitech yet?"
  • edited September 2013
    Brae and Jon both have a good laugh at that. VB joins in, she loves it when you push people around.

Jon has pulled out a tiny screwdriver and started fiddling with Vee's knee joint. Of course, she's just staring at him, she's giggly, too. She gets giggly like this around him.

When you ask about Logitech, Brae nods, "Yeah. Frakkin babysitting. Can't use Prospects for real work, ya know? I told him your crew's better suited, what with you and Vee bein so pretty an all..."

Jon throws in "Don't forget Rinny. He's a damn cutie, too." Vee playfully slaps his shoulder at that.

Brae continues, "He said you got an escort job. Runnin with your boy Ko, eh? Frakkin favoritism, I tell ya." But he's just giving you drek. I mean, yeah, he'd rather have that job, and with the size of the Libs, and their few vehicles, they might even be better suited. But well, Logitech chose your crew.
  • Some folks might say Vee's a horrible influence on me... Those folks don't know me very well. I smirk at their laughter and balance on the hind legs of my chair while Brae fills me in about how he wants the contract we got. "What can I say, Brae? I'm a motivated seller... Any job comes around with the possibility of killing Wendy's, and you know I'm gunna be there — and besides, are you telling me you don't look good in a dress sweetie? I beg to differ... Vee, I think we should keep an eye out for a dress that'd fit Brea here on our next run."
  • VB titters like mad at that, "Bright blue will set off his pretty eyes! heeheeehee"

Brae chuckles, too, but Jon's busy picking some dirt between VB's joints and misses it. Then Brae turns in his seat and lifts his boot up to the underside of one of your chair's legs, the ones teetering in the air, and he gives it a tiny nudge. Not enough to knock you over, but you have a second of equilibrium wonkiness, and end up slamming back down. Then VB throws her head back laughing, howling even more.

Of course Loot ignores all this, but Hump turns around in his seat, he's curious what all this is about. And Braeburn, he just grins a little I-got-you grin.
  • I narrow my eyes and scrunch my nose at Braeburn once I'm stable on the ground — he must think he's so clever! Ah well, it's all in good fun. See what I mean about Vee? I wish she'd just sleep with him already... Then again, given his comment about Rinso...

"Whatever," I sniffle and lean back in my chair, "you guys hear any news from up north recently? I've been too busy to keep up with the wires."
  • edited September 2013
    Jon has leaned in real close to Vee's leg and he's very carefully peering at a particular wire when he answers, "Rad levels at the Valley are still crazy, running up and down the scale, stay upwind. Wendys circle it looking for people to hit. Some say they're staying in the zone, but that's drek. It's just that nobody's found their new hideout."

Brae adds, "There's a new Candy gang up north, I heard. And, that guy KellyTires, he's setting up a radio tower in Salt."

Oh, and by the way, Jon has totally snaked a hand around to put on VB's ass. It almost looks casual, except well, it aint.
  • edited September 2013
    I sigh and roll my eyes when I spot Jon's hand on Vee's ass. The rad levels and the Wendy's are nothing new, but a new Candy gang, and a Radio tower up at Salt? That's kind of exciting. I wonder who took up the mantle — and secretly wish it was my Ma... I mean, I know it ain't — I'd be a Candy right now if it weren't for Ruth and Ma talking me down — but if it was her, at least it'd give me a way to find her. Hell, maybe they've seen her! I'll have to ask around up north when we get there.

"We're riding with Kelly bright and early tomorrow," I point to Jon's hand, "So hands off, sweetie, tonight's a dry night."
  • edited September 2013
    Jon raises an eyebrow, but pulls his hand off her ass. VB makes a pouty face, but then she reaches up to muss Jon's hair, then pulls her leg off the table, "Thanks, Jonamac. Next time, maybe?"

"Sure, kid. Next time," he replies as he pats her robotic leg. There's a moment where their eyes meet, and it's a little... intense? Heated? Well, a little something. And yes, VB giggles.

Brae makes an "Awwww" sound to mock them. Hump brings over some drinks for you and Vee and heads back to the bar. You all sit around for a bit, shooting the breeze, right?

Toblerone the Enforcer comes in. He's Logitech's personal guard. The guy's quiet, but damn spooky. He heads up to the bar, hands Loot a note, then takes a seat two stools down from Hump. Hump looks nervous.

Here's Toblerone.

What rumors have you heard about him?
  • I try to ignore their little stare... I really don't get what's up between them. Does Jon have a thing for her leg? Or are they really into each other? I just don't get it...

I don't have much time to think about it though, cause Toblerone comes in just a few minutes later and spooks everyone in the bar right the frak out. There are all kinds of rumors about Toby... Some say he's the son of a First Man and some poor Valley woman — raised to be a killer, but abandoned by his father. Others say he spent too much time up north by the rad zones, and hulked the frak out. I heard some ignorant frakker say he was like Frankenstein's monster... That guy was an idiot though.

You've seen him though, yeah? The dude is frakking scary on the outside — which is why most folk don't even try to frak with him. Most folks think he's simple or something, cause he don't talk much, but I don't think that's true... I just think he's tired of dealing with the bullshit most folks assume about him. If that's it, then I think Toby's got it right...

I grab my drink and walk my way over to the bar, taking a seat between Toblerone and Hump, "Hey Toby, here on business?"
  • Toblerone slowly, stiffly turns to you. He sort of stares through you, and after a beat, he nods once.

Loot opens a trapdoor in the floor behind the bar and starts climbing down a ladder into her hidey hole for something. Toblerone says low, "Coming to dinner?"
  • I smile and nod, no sense in being a bitch to the guy... "Yup. Is it alright if I bring two friends of Logitech's? They're here for the night on their way to Salt, and I figured they could stand to be with good company."
  • Toblerone does a soft nod, almost imperceptible. Then he just stares at you impassively.

"We're heading out, Kiddo." Brae calls. You hear their boots scuff on the floor, chairs screech as they move. In a moment, VB comes up to sit behind you, between Toby and Hump. Protective. Just in case.
  • I take a sip of my drink, and nod back to Toby before spinning on my stool to wave goodbye to Brae and Jon. Then I turn back to Toby and finish my drink. "You need a hand bringing something back to Tech's?" I gaze down in the hidey hole Loot disappeared down into.
  • edited September 2013
    Toblerone shakes his head slightly no. Then looks past you at VB. You can practically hear VB panting, she is totally wigged out by this guy.

You hear echoing up from that subterranean storage area the sounds of Loot huffing while she makes it back up the ladder. She climbs up, puts something heavy on the floor with a clomp, then scrambles up and closes the trapdoor, fiddles with the lock. A second later, she hefts up a bigass car battery, puts it on the bar. Then she pulls a nylon bag off from around her neck, it had some dust on it, some oil stains near the weird checkmark logo. "Here you go, Toby." She pats the bar beside it.

Toby says in the same low tone, "See you tonight." He picks up the battery with one hand, puts it on his shoulder, then picks up the bag with his free hand. You get a glimpse inside that big jacket he wears. He's packing. Some long-bladed knife, maybe a frakkin short sword, who knows?

Then, he walks out. Calm as can be. VB sighs loudly, "I think I stopped breathing for a bit there."

Hump agrees, "I think I need to change pants."
  • I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared of Toby... He's a beast of a man — and not in the same way Rinso is, either. I slip the glass towards Loot and smile, then turn back to Hump and VB.

"It ain't like he's gunna frak us up or nothing... We didn't do anything." I look at Hump, "and you definitely didn't do anything." I grin and pat his shoulder, then turn back to Loot.

"Hey, Loot," I lean over the bar, and wave her over, "What was in the bag?"
  • edited September 2013
    Loot gives you a narrow-eyed look and says, "From my lips to the gods ears. Nothing in between." Then she shrugs, "If you wanna know, ask 'Tech. Not for me to say."

Hump gives her a puppy dog look, and Loot raises her hands up like it's some ray power, "No, Hump! It's professional courtesy and drek! I can't tell."
  • edited September 2013
    A bit later, VB pulls you aside, "Kids... how come you got to go off with Chee for, ah, service rendered, but when Jonamac is finally showing interest, you tell him I gotta stay dry? Double standard?"
  • Urgh... Loot, why d'you have to be like that? I won't tell nobody! ... fine... I give Hump a pat on the shoulder for a good effort, and relax against the bar until Vee pulls me aside.

Why did I stop Vee from frakking that weirdo? You mean other that the fact that most days he's more interested in her leg than her? Frak, man... "Aside from the fact that we got a dinner to attend in a bit, I don't want him thinking he can just up and have you at the drop of a hat, yeah? He should be the one begging you for that shit, not the other way around!"
  • Of course, this happens away from Hump. VB wouldn't start a fuss in front of your brother, so let's say he stepped out for a piss or something.

VB narrows her eyes, her nostrils flare for a second. Then, "I like Jonamac, Kids. And he always helps with my leg, and he's got a sexy mustache and I like him. And that's the first time he's, you know, actually made a move. And you frakked it up." She pokes you in the chest now, right at the end there.

"I never get in your way, you know. Barinet, Chee, flirting with Rinny. Why you gotta cock-block me?"
  • Oh for frak's sake, Vee too? I deflate a bit, half-annoyed that I'm stepping between another friend and her lovelife, and half pissed that she thinks I'm out to get her or something.

"Vee," I whisper, leaning in close, "I have no idea what Jon wants from you, or what you want from him; but if you wanna frak him so bad, that's fine — go find him tonight, and do your thing... I won't be mad or nothing — but we're going into Wendy territory tomorrow, and I want you well rested if you're coming along. If you're gunna be out all night with him, then I'd rather you get a full night's rest and stay safe here, than risk coming up north with us."

I give her a very serious look, "What do you see in him, Vee? Really? 'Cause, I mean... I don't get it, but I want to get it if he's important to you, you know?"
  • VB slumps a bit when you give in. She looks away, then licks her lips, "I don't... I don't know, Kids. I mean, he's hot and he's into me, I think. I dunno, he's just, you know, got things together?"

She sighs, "I don't wanna just run off with him. It's just, you know, nice to get some attention. I mean, everyone's always falling all over themselves for you. But Jon, he sorta, you know, is into me.... drek, now I feel like a real bitch, Kids." She looks up at you with those big sad eyes, corners of her mouth quirking down.
  • Flirting with Rinso? What's that got to do with anything? "I'm not flirting with Rinny! I love him as much as I love you, sweetie, and if you wanted to get with him, that'd make more sense to me. Don't feel like a bitch... I didn't mean to cock-block you — and you're way sexier than me, sweetie. I don't know where you get these ideas that folks want me more than you!"

I order up a second drink, "I mean, shit girl — you've come on your fair share of these runs. You know I'll make sure you get your fair share. You can stay behind if you want, you know Kiddo's always got that fine backside of yours covered."
  • Too quick, she says, "I don't. I don't want to get with Rinny! And you don't see how they look at you, Kids. I'm just this skinny chick with a pretty face, but you're a badass. I mean, you fight and frak and if I liked girls, you know... but anyways, they want you."

Loot pours you both a shot, then heads back to her seat behind the bar. She's not a great bartender, she never cops to eavesdropping. Or offers advice. After draining a shot, VB says, "No frakin way I'm stayin behind. What if your mom is with those Candies? I gotta see that, you know? ... besides. Now I got a gun o' my own, right?"
  • Someone's eager to deny something... You know, I've always thought those two would make a cute couple. It's a shame they never hooked up. I give Vee a dubious look, but let it slide this time. Fine, Vee, but you can't hide that shit from me forever!

I do appreciate her wanting to come along, and help look for my Ma... That means a lot to me. "Thanks, sweetie," I take a drink, "I don't wanna get my hopes up or nothing — but these new Candies might be the best lead we've had in a while... Speaking of that gun, I should probably show you how to hold it right so your wrist doesn't hurt, huh?"
  • Hump comes back in from outside, he looks a little, well, you know him, so maybe VB doesn't pick up on it, but he looks a little shocked, kind of wide-eyed.

VB agrees, "Yeah, Kids. Take me shooting, yeah?"
  • I nod to Vee, suddenly really curious about Hump's wide-eyed look. "What's up, Hump?" I pat the stool next to me expectantly.
  • Hump smacks his lips a couple times, "Oh, nothing, really. I'm cool. Just a little hot outside. Hey Vee, could you get me a drink?" He heads over to sit at the table where you were with the Libs earlier. VB gives him an odd look, but shrugs and heads over to get water from Loot.

As soon as she does, Hump leans over to whisper, "I saw Rinso frakking Svenja, Kiddo. In our... I mean, in mom and dad's bed. Just now. Like, still goin at it and drek." He glances over to make sure VB didn't overhear, then looks to you while sitting down.
  • ... They were what? "Wait. They... He was frakking ..." I look over to Vee. See? I'm not the only one who thinks they'd make a good couple! ... Well, until now anyway... "Like," I pantomime doing the nasty for effect, "full on? On Ma and Dad's bed?!?!"

Damn it Rinso, you ever wonder why I don't bring folks back there? Part of me wants to go kick them out — but honestly? Seeing Svenja's cranky ass all... Stuff, and things?

I shudder at the thought. Literally — I'm shaking, and making a grossed out face!

"Dude, that's frakking gross... She just today asked me if Rinso was a breeder, being all afraid of getting frakking preggers or whatever, and now she's banging the only guy I know who's a complete unknown!"
  • Hump nods to the gesture, confirming it. "Yeah... mostly on the bed. She's uhm... really bossy there, too."

VB comes over, plops a cup of water on the table in front of Hump, stands near him, but looking at you, "We going shooting or what?"
  • See the dirty, sexy part of my brain thinks that's hot — but the part of it that knows Rinso and Svenja? It's puking all over the place. "Frakking hell, Hump!" That he watched enough to know that is gross.

I look to Hump, asking if it's safe to go outside... I don't know if they were dumb enough to frak by the window, but Rinso ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, yeah? "Sure. You got your gun on you?"
  • edited September 2013
    Hump nods, shrugs a little, like "it's safe", then takes a big drink.

VB blinks, " Uhm, no." She looks a bit sheepishly, than hastily adds, "I left it at the garage, I'll go get it!" Then she starts to head out.

What do you do?
  • Part of me considers stopping her — it'd probably be a good idea, considering she'll be wielding a gun when she finds out — but really, this'll either be the kick in the ass she needs to admit her feelings for Rinny, or leave him by the wayside. "Here," I offer, standing up, "I'll go with you. Hump, come find us out by the range before heading over to Tech's, yeah?"
  • edited September 2013
    Hump nearly chokes on his water, but he sure as hell isn't getting up to go with you. VB's nose crinkles up at Hump, but she waves it off.

And VB has this nervous energy about her. When was the last time she fired a gun? It's been a while, right? She chatters a bit with you as you walk across the street to the garage, waves at Ajishima while he's working on rewiring a small radio, then she skips up the steps.

VB was distracted enough not to hear them till she's on the second floor. Of course, you heard them about halfway up, but you were listening for it, right? It's pretty obvious Hump wasn't lying. About the sex. Or Svenja's bedside manner. The girl is not timid about expressing her pleasure, and she keeps giving "big guy" instructions on what he needs to be doing. For his part, Rinso is quietly doing his work. As you'd expect, well, maybe not for this work.

At the top of the stairs, VB stops. She turns to look down at you, eyes comically wide, like she's just caught somebody doing something naughty. Then it dawns on her that Svenja is in there with a big boy. And she does the math. You see it, her face falls from impish curiosity to dread. A couple tears leak out of her eyes, she blinks real quick and takes a step down towards you, whispering, "Is that?... is that Rinny in there?"