[FURY] Storm Run (Bon 2.2, Gates 2.2,Valentine 2.3, Vignette 2.2)

edited June 2015 in Fury

All,

Gates, you took the raft over to the smaller boats near HM's larger pleasure one, then helped your people load the six folk onto the raft and took them to shore. There, Valentine and Vignette met you with everyone else and all the stuff they'd loaded up to take back to Safeco.

On the way home

You lead the group of what… fugitives? From the harbor. It’s clear from the rising red and the sinking ship that Harbormaster was more desperate to move than he led Admiral to believe. Thunder rumbles in the distance as you trudge along the highway. Those armed watching for dangers while pretty much everyone else carries, pulls, or pushes loads of essentials Harbormaster needs to set up operations at Safeco.

Bon, your patients are laid on carts, with Decatur walking slowly beside you, refusing to take up any room. Mox helps him walk, Pine leads the horse and buggy for Valentine.

The sky darkens as dusk approaches along with the storm. Layers of thick cloud obscure the sun low in the Western sky casting shadows across your city. Thunder… not a good sound these days. The hairs on your neck prickle at each distant peal but… wait. Something’s not quite right.

The sound is low and constant. Easy to miss as it’s the kind of sound your ear can tune out. Engines? A low rumble of a roar like some mechanical beast come to life. Turning back towards the now-distant Harbor at your backs you see a dark shape moving across the surface of the water. Like black on deep crimson it passes the sunken breakwater and approaches Harbormaster’s now abandoned home.

A sudden burst of light, cracks of weapons and a distant roar… Harbormaster’s ship bursts into flame, a plume of deep black smoke lit orange from below begins to rise.

Harbormaster sees it too and for just a moment you catch a look of terror in his eyes. Like this sight is too much for him to bear… too impossible to explain.

Safeco is only a few more minutes along the road, if you hurry. And the first few drops of crimson rain are starting to fall.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    We wait too long, and now the storm closes in on us. Without thinking, I move closer to Gates as the sky grows darker. A wall of thunder pursues us, occasionally lashing out at us with a teeth-rattling boom. I stay beside Gates, but I wish we would run. As the thunder gets closer, I cover my ears and softly sing the song She taught me.
  • edited June 2015
    photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

I'm slightly miffed that Pine didn't ride this time. I'm happy to ride, however. I wonder if he doesn't care for my company?

But then-

The explosion is surprising, I can feel my eyebrows trying to hide under my hood and I imagine the orange heat on my face. There's no time for questions with the storm a-nearing. "Pine, dear!" With his poor broken leg, "Get up here, we need not lollygag!" I'll reach down a hand and brace my foot to help pull him up. Who else is walking who should be running? "Step to it, people!" I shout, pitching my dulcet tones to an announcer's voice but loud loud. "It's time to move! Everyone who can run, RUN!"

Where the flood is Harbormaster and what leviathan has he called behind us?
  • edited June 2015

photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

I am watching my patients as they are jostled by road hardly more smooth than the crumbled piles of the before-time structures. There is little I can do for their discomfort. I take off my outer shirt to give some additional protection to one of the weaker men, leaving me in my undershirt. It is uncomfortable to have my arms bare to the shoulders and my neck and upper chest so exposed.

The memorials on my arms and upper chest are visible and more peek from behind fabric on my back, but it is far less likely for me to be infected with the red coming down, and the memory of the dead is not more important than the health of the living. Fortunatly the most recent addition, Ducks is covered still, and bandaged.

The explosion goes up behind us and I turn and look at the colunn of smoke and flame in fear and awe at what trouble the Harbormaster has attracted from the winedark sea. Valentine calls for everyone to hurry and I firmly move Decatur to join Valentine on the cart as well.

Well, drat. We gotta get these folks and all this stuff inside. I turn to my family and say "Folks, we got to move as fast as we can, but people's safety is the main concern, so be careful as you go. Don't strain yourself, don't damage anything, and don't hurt anyone."

Lord, help us. Get us inside to safety.

Gates,

You're leading the flock here. I think folks are helping. Let's see if you can Act Under Fire to get out of the rain, all the way back to Safeco.

Seems about right. Took spooky intense when I dinged. Rollin' weird.

Actin' under fire.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 8)

Exp+1
  • edited August 2015

I see Gates trying to get the people moving, and it pulls me out of my thunder-fear, gives me something else to focus on. I run around, helping to get people on the wagons and carts, or helping them lift their things onto carts so they can move faster. I am trying not to be scary and strange. I have my hood up, and the thunder takes most people's attention. As I work, I hum Mama's song softly.

Helping Gates: (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 9)
  • photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

Of course people respond to both Gates and Valentine and Vignette. I am of course used to controlling emergency situations as well and nothing if not practical. l am offering more specific guidance to various members of the entourage somewhat bruskly, my mind rapidly organizing as usual.

Helping Gates
  • (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 11)
  • photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

Somehow, Gates' voice carries without him raising it. I certainly am listening and responding even as I mentally scramble to note his technique.

"Come along, Master Ed," I mutter under my breath to the horse.
  • [OOC: Helping Gates, roll=Hx.]

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 7)

All
    What the flood happened back there?

Harbormaster2
    HM blinks out of his stupor by Gates’ urgent words. He nods in grim agreement, ”Ok, crew… girls, boys. No choice now, we have a new home ahead. Don’t look back Kinney, don’t look back, Goldrush.” He’s obviously shaken, probably left things behind that he’d hoped to come back for later. Later will never come, now.

Everyone hurries their pace as smoke rises from the burning ship in the bloody harbor. Muffled shouts and occasional sharp sounds of something being smashed grow more distant behind you with every step.

You do your best to keep the injured covered up as a few warning drops of red begin to fall around you and a wicked wind comes in sudden gusts, and then is gone. A few of Harbormaster’s pets shiver against the growing cold… those unfortunate enough to still be dressed for ‘work’.

It’s an urgent and quiet journey home, the comforting facade of SafeCo looms ahead past the broken ruins of the surrounding buildings. You pass the skeletal shells of old warehouses that Admiral had razed so vagabonds wouldn’t take up shelter so near to home.

Vignette, this is where you ran into Ballard’s patrol the other day. But with the approaching storm the streets are abandoned and the only sounds are those of the wind and alarmingly less distant thunder.

The gates of SafeCo finally come into view. Pale electric lights mark the way to safety as you see the last few merchants and travelers checking in past the guard to take shelter under SafeCo’s roof.

Harbormaster2
    ”Valentine,” HM calls to your wagon, ”Shall we retire to the Yacht Club?” He looks over to you, Gates. ”Many thanks, Gates.” He slips three jingle into your hands, ”Please see to it that my people’s things are placed where Pine directs. You have done me a great service, bringing us to our new Home.” He glances over to you, Vignette, just for a moment and although he’s silent you know he wants you with him.

QuePasa_header
    After HM walks away towards Valentine, QuePasa comes up to you, Gates. ”The Lord tells us not to hate. But that man… he wants to teach it to me.” She takes a breath, calming herself, ”Once we are done with this, what work is there for us here, Gates? It seems we are stuck here for the time being.”

What do you do?
  • edited June 2015

I'm proud of the family for pullin' together and helpin' to get everyone inside and safe. Stuff is safe too. They can really muscle down when they need to.

As QuePasa speaks to me I stare at the money in my hand. Feels like it's burnin' a hole in my palm. This is quite a payday for the family, but it's also money that comes from... well, Lord knows what. I don't wanna know the path that this jingle took to get from that man's hand to mine.

"Well, Que, I've got a few thoughts. We can see if Bon needs help with anythin'. We can see if Val needs any more help with stuff. And I got a few folks I need to chat with, if they're around. In the meantime, why don'cha gather what family we have here and we can have a quick chat about what to do with this here jingle."

While Que is doin' that, maybe I'll poke my head around, see if any of the youngins I'm s'posed to be counseling is anywhere around these parts.
  • edited August 2015
    It looks like Harbormaster and Valentine are headed to Yacht Club. That makes my life-as-spy easier. It gives me also an opportunity to report back to the Admiral. If the Admiral sees me together with Harbormaster, he will be content that I am doing my job.

I look at Gates. I would love to ask his advice on Valentine and the Admiral, but I see him with QuePasa, and anyway, I have work to do.

I fall in alongside the Harbormaster, walking on the side opposite Valentine. I do not want to get between him and Valentine, but I need to stay close to them both if they are visiting the Admiral. I speak quietly to Harbormaster, not wanting the others to hear, using my hood to hide my lips and muffle my words. "I accept the music machine. This does not buy me. This does not end my job with the other party. I take a job, I finish a job. But after, I am free to work for you. 'After' can come sooner if you tell me what really happened back there at that harbor."

I pause for a few beats, debating whether to admit the next part. "Also...I would like to know how you knew...the woman on this tape." And what you knew about her--everything about her. What was she like? Why were we leaving? What really happened to her? Is that part of my mission? To find out about my mother? I am supposed to find out if he is threatened by anyone. Yes, learning what happened to my mother is very much a part of knowing who threatens the Admiral.

• edited June 2015

Gates,

QuePasa_header
    "I shall, Gates," QuePasa says quietly but surely. "I shall."

Of course, your arrival was known, right? Ghost and Rei are on their way over to you, you seem them.

Ghost
    "Hello, sir." Ghost says as she reaches you. Her eyes scan the bits of wet on your shoulders. "Everyone safe?"

Vignette,
    Harbormaster2
    "Why don't you come back with me to wherever Valentine gives me to stay tonight?" HM asks softly. "I can tell you many things."

I take a knee to get on Ghost's level. "Well hi there, sister Ghost. And, like I've told ya', call me 'brother.' None o' this 'sir,' stuff. When the Lord comes back, we can all call him 'sir,' but that ain't fer me. And yes, it looks like we got everyone and everything here all safe n' sound. Did you and Rei have fun while we were gone?"

As I ask the question I glance up at Rei and give her a little wink. "We're gonna get everyone together for a meetin' in a few minutes, Ghost, but till then, why don't we take a lil' walk and you can tell me about what you've been up to?"
  • edited August 2015

Harbormaster says too many things each time he speaks. He wants things from me. Many things. And I do not think I care to part with all of them.

I nod. "I will find you tonight."

Vignette,
    Harbormaster2
    HM nods, "Alright. See you then." He heads towards the Yacht Club, with his workers following, his "boys" and "girls" as he calls them.

This receiving area isn't far from the garage. Above you, rain comes down in sheets, the roof is loud out here. You see Gates talking with some of his flock, Bon is attending to her patients, organizing to have them taken to her infirmary.

What do you do?

I help Decatur down again and look about. I know that H.M. no longer counts these poor souls among his ‘things. ’ They are for the infirmary for now, where if nature is kind, I may assist them in recovery.

I consider covering up again, but decide that it can wait until we reach our home.

I put a hand on my nephew’s shoulder. “Go you now with haste, please, Mox, and help your sister to prepare for these guests.”

I coordinate with those of Gates people who are helping me move the sick. Helping to carry at least one myself.

• edited June 2015

Bon,

Mox nods and takes off at a run to get the infirmary ready.

Decatur
    Decatur tries helping with one of the carts, really an old wheelbarrow for Lissa, the girl from the boat he begged you to help before. He's barely able to manage it, but seems determined to try. As you're all heading, he walks closer to you, looking at your arm, "Who are they?"

Gates, I assume you send a couple of the flock to help with the patients?
  • edited August 2015
    Harbormaster leaves, but I still feel his hold on me. What does he have to tell me? What does he want? And what do I tell the Admiral? I did not have business elsewhere that kept me from going with the Harbormaster. I am just putting off being near him and learning what he knows and what he wants.

I find myself near Gates without consciously deciding to seek him out. Why Gates?

I glance back at Bon. I am drawn to her. Bon is most like me in some ways. She is quiet and friendless, like me. She is friendless in the way of people who are loved and admired, but not understood. I am friendless for other reasons. I watch her tending the sick. This is the first I have seen her with so much skin visible. I do not know what the marks mean, but I know hidden things when I see them. I wonder how many people know the sacrifice she makes to give her clothes to comfort others. She does her work so calmly. Bon's calm comes from inside, from the intensity she pours into her work. Her intensity pushes me away. Her work is too important to interrupt.

My eyes pass to Valentine... Zi is so composed, so self-assured, always surrounded by admirers. I do not think she has ever encountered a man willing to swim in redwater to avoid her, or had children throw stones at her, or been called "witch".

Gates' calm comes from his faith. It is faith I do not share, but Gates is a shepherd, and at this time, I am lost. I catch his eye, trying not to show my desperation. "Can I help you with something? And also, maybe while helping, I could talk to you about something?"

I do not like the way he is o’ertaxing himself, but I am weighing it against the expression of will it represents. Perhaps the benefit of his self-assertion against helplessness will in fact aid his recovery.

I look ahead. My shoulders and arms are aching.

“They are lives I took responsibility for but failed to save. They are lessons and reminders of the cost of imperfect understanding.”

I glance at him

“They are my sins.”

I turn to see Vignette. "Of course, Vignette."

Turning to Ghost I say "Why don't you take Rei and QuePasa and go help out Bon. I know how much you enjoy that. If either of 'em give you any guff, tell 'em I put you in charge." I muss Ghost's hair and send her off.

Turning back to Vignette I raise an eyebrow and say "Shoot, friend."

Bon,

Decatur
    Decatur remarks idly. "They are lucky to be honored on such a beautiful temple. I am sure they are thankful for your efforts, and now, they live on through you." He doesn't have a reply about your sins, though.

QuePasa_header
    "That's foolish, dear Bon." QuePasa observes as she pulls a small cart like she's an ox. "You are the best healer, talent given by the Lord himself. There is no sin in what you've done. The sin is not trying to save them."
  • photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

What happened back there, indeed? Its sounds shall haunt my imagination, perhaps my dreams. Was it a thing from the water? Some man-crafted assault? Why destroy an empty boat? I fit a slim cigarette into its holder and take a puff or so to relax. What treasures (or secrets) sank into the harbor? I can't put the master of the harbor into any position but honest desperation... and fear.

"Sir, yes, I shall show you to the rooms prepared for yourself and your folks." I put my eyes on him with a gentle - yet pointed - rebuff. "And I have things to see to in my establishment."

Vignette passes a few words between them. I smoke my light cigarette and watch the horizon, far to polite to be seen eavesdropping. But I listen.

Before I part ways, I wave a cheery goodbye to Gates and ensure I have handshakes aplenty for his people, share a light kiss for Bon, make pointed eye contact with Vignette and her music machine, and see to Needle and the rest to help haul what needs hauling. "No, this one goes to the first room, and that one goes to any of the other rooms. Ask Latte or Pine how the rooms will be divvied up." Goldrush looks skittish. How would I feel to be driven from my home to watch it burn over my shoulders. I touch shoulders reassuringly as I move through the crowd. "SafeCo is high and dry. Things won't be soaked like the Harbor. It will get better." I'll need to draft some ground rules as people acclimate. I suppose most can't read, which poses its own challenges. My menu works for the illiterates, so I'm confident it's just a matter of time.

Flesh pressed and babies kissed, I lower my hood and set into the haven I hope won't flood. Or be eaten by the leviathan.
  • edited August 2015
    I walk with Gates, trying to take words that want to all rush out at once and make them line up neatly. "One thing about what I do," I start slowly, "is that most of the people who hire me are not good people." I gasp, rushing to add, "I--I do not mean you. Other people." I pause, not sure I want to go on. "For a very long time, I worked for--the Admiral. I am not proud of some of the things he had me do, but back then, I was...reliant on him. I always told myself that when I left him, I would not come back." I say, looking down. "But I have to live, and being a witch does not pay well," I say with a pained smile, thinking of Kites' son.

"This time, the Admiral wants me to spy on Harbormaster. I do not mind this. I think Harbormaster is not a good man. But Harbormaster showed me this music machine," I pull it out of my coat pocket. My hand is clamped on it in a death grip. "My mother's voice is on this machine. My mother, who I have only seen in dreams since I was a little girl. Harbormaster offered me the machine if I work for him, spying on the Admiral." My voice is shaking now. "I already took the machine, and I cannot give it back. It is all I have of her except the dream. Now, I am trapped between two dangerous men. Harbormaster will want--what he wants will be worse--but he says he knew my mother, that he can tell me about her. I do not know his price. I think it will be high. I am afraid to pay...and afraid not to pay."

• edited June 2015

They do not understand. Of course they do not. The Way is not easy to explain. My habit would be to simply to accept and let the tide of conversation pass to other places. Perhaps it is the stress of the day or the unsettling anxiety provoked by the thing in the harbor, or even some power shared among Gates’ people, but I find my tongue looser than is my wont.

“Indeed, QuePasa, such is a sin. And one I am not guilty of, but once.” I think of Seatac and the nagging sense that I should make some amends. The usual revulsion at doing so makes its appearance and I can only repeat the promise to myself that I will not fail him again, should he come to me, and then fervently hope he does not put me to that test.

I shake my slightly, to rid me of the distraction.

“But the a knife that fails to cut betrays its purpose for being, and such knives as we are responsible for our own edge. The sin lies not in the loss of those who return to the ground of being, no, that is the consequence. But rather it is that our understanding was not equal to our task. If one fails to prepare, then one prepares to fail.”

I do not add that a blade that repeatedly fails its assigned task is returned to the basest metal and forged anew. I have aquired quite a catalog over my life thus far because I am too soft to not accept responsibility for those even beyond my ability. I very much doubt if I would pass the yearly counting for my age. I do not know. I do not want to know.

I look at Decatur. “The dead thank no one, they are beyond such things, beyond even their own seperateness. But you are very kind for saying so.”

• edited June 2015

I mull over Vignette's words for a minute as we walk.

"That is a hard rain right on ya, Vignette. An' I have to say, I don't think anyone would fault ya for doin' somethin' just to hear yer ma's voice. In this world, we all do what we gotta to survive. I was lucky enough to get to know both my parents for a lil' while, and they were lucky enough to remember the time before, just a lil' bit. So nothin' in my experience has given me the necessary comprehension of yer situation to tell you what to do."

The Lord, though, well, he understands every situation, and he said we have to gear ourselves up fer battle sometimes, but not with flesh and blood type folks, but with the powers and authorities of this dark age. Now the Lord's words can be confusin', I'm the first to admit, but I tend to read that there passage as sayin' that when we do battle against wicked princes, well, the Lord will be the roof over our head.

What's more, you seem to think o' the gifts the Lord gave you as a burden. An' I bet they are. But they're also what makes you special, what makes you powerful. I ain't so sure that you rely on folks like the Admiral and HM. I think maybe that they got you all turned around believin' that because they don't want'cha to know that they rely on you. Power tends to rest on the folks on the bottom not knowing that they're the one's holdin' up the folks on the top, eh?

I meant what I said before. I would never fault'cha for doin' somethin' to learn more about yer ma. But I also know that you wouldn'ta be askin' me if you didn't know that furtherin' HM's lil' agenda is soaked to the bone. So iff'n yer askin', I say you do what you gotta do to stay alive, in the meantime, but know that there are people round' ya who I think might support ya if you were thinkin' about standin' up to the powers and authorities of this dark age..."

I give a knowing look in Val's direction, then one in Bon's direction, before turning back to look Vignette in the eye.

+1 for Vignette's next roll related to my advice, +1 exp for me

Bon,

Decatur
    The weight of Lissa in the cart taxing him, Decatur doesn't ask for help. Ghost comes up to try and take part of the load and he shakes his head. "I've seen the dead, Bon. It's a half-blessing, for sure."

QuePasa_header
    "Bon is right, harlot." QuePasa says, her words sharper than her tone. "The dead are gone forever, to Above... or Below, according to their faith, or lack thereof." She looks to you, Bon, "Dear Bon, young Ghost has no will to ask it of you, but would she make well for an assistant to you?"

Your small convoy of sick folks and helpers are heading down a long sloping concrete walkway on the edge of the stadium. It's the easiest path to the lower level and your infirmary. It passes several of the poorest, those who sit near the edge of the hold, without work, without coin, begging and doing whatever they can to make it to the next day. There is not enough food in the garden for everyone. These people are the remnants. The leftovers.

There are a half dozen of them tonight. There were eight yesterday.

The lights are on in the infirmary, you can see if at the base of the walk, all the way from here.
  • edited August 2015
    I watch Gates as he speaks. I half-expected a stern lecture on not getting drawn into the evils of Harbormaster and the Admiral. I was most worried that he would think my accepting the machine with my mother's voice was childish and wrong. Instead, all I hear is understanding and encouragement. He does not tell me what I must do, but seems to try to help me find what I am capable of doing. I still have problems to deal with, but I do not feel quite so trapped or like they are so shameful I must hide them from everyone. A great part of the weight on me lifts.

I close my eyes--not reading Gates but taking in his mindshape. It is unusual. Many are stone of some sort--Hope's soft green orb, the Admiral's and my planes of quartz, Cujo's fissured ruby. Gates' is organic: a reedy stalk, porous, water-bearing. I do not have a name for it, nor do I know why it is so different from most.

I struggle for words that tell him what his mean to me. On sudden impulse, I throw my arms around his neck and hug him tightly, my toes barely touching the ground.

Thank you, I whisper.

Looking at his face after he said it, I don’t dismiss Decatur so easily, but QuePasa’s overly pious criticism annoys me to be sure.

I look at her.

“Harlot?” I say mildly. “Are we addressing other human beings by their apparant failings on short acquaintance, then? Indeed but this seems a strange demonstration of charity. Pray then, speak and teach me how I should address you to fit this example.”

I continue to look at her steadily.

Bon,

Decatur
    "Oh, Bon," Decatur says with a gentle laugh. "QuePasa is paying me a compliment! I have not fetched a Safecoin in such a long time. I am sure after my amazing recovery, thanks to you, she is telling us how handsome I look even now." He turns to QuePasa and nods his head without a hint of sarcasm. "I appreciate your kind words, QuePasa. If you ever wish to lie with me, I would happily oblige. You are a most handsome woman."

QuePasa_header
    "I..." QuePasa is about to object to you, then to Decatur, but then she's realized what a trap she's in, and says nothing more.

You reach the underground level and wheel patients into the infirmary. Shy and Mox have hastily moved things around, set Tally in an area away from the main operating area, and prepped things to house as many as they can.

What do you do?

I appreciate Decatur’s softening of my rebuke and how he defuses the situation. I do not dislike QuePasa, but I sincerly hope she will mind her tongue a little better in my presence.

We get our five patients moved to the beds and I thank Gate’s folks for their efforts.

“About Ghost,” I say to QuePasa before she goes. “Upon limited aqauintence I can only say that I believe she has the promise of a quick mind and a brave temperment. If she wishes to learn to heal, I am happy to have her as a pupil. She need only come to me and ask.”

After this I turn away and begin to see to my patient’s comfort as well as collecting blood from them to test for red infection. What they need most at the moment is hydration and rest. Seditives will be applied unless any of them are too weak.

I turn to Decatur who is still at Lissa’s side no doubt.

“Come, you must rest too, my handsome freind. You have proven yourself strong today and kind, but I pray you to spare my skin yet another mark and do not prove such to your own demise.”

Bon,

Decatur nods agreement to your suggestion of rest. It seems that the moment of handing Lissa over drains him of the will he mustered, and now he seems drawn and weak again. He pats your shoulder thankfully and takes one of the cots.

For all her sniping earlier, QuePasa is no stranger to the work of moving people and things. She gets her hands dirty, and has no reluctance to whatever you ask her to accomplish. Ghost works alongside Mox on getting samples, while Shy works beside you on checking vitals and noting the progression of the exposures

As things start to settle, what are you planning to do?

Gates,

Your chat with Vignette happens while your people are busy getting HM's workers settled. You notice Boeing is still hanging around, waiting for you. He means to hold to the offer that he can stick around.

I smile at Vignette. "Of course. Just don't forget you got people other than them an' you'll be nice and dry."

My eyes fall on Boeing. Poor guy. I meander over to him.

"So you plan on stickin' around, my friend? That means I might give you somethin' to do. You want to help the family get everyone all settled in here?"

Gates,

Boeing_Header
    "I am sticking around, Gates." Boeing assures you. "I'm not afraid of a little work, and I've been to Safeco a few times. Are you looking for a place to stay without pay? Or somewhere people will let you stay for jingle?"

Vignette,

Fortyfour is working with Gates and his people to help HM's workers. He's been watching you, of course. He hasn't approached, like the hand-off the other night was some kind of refusal.

Of course, Admiral will want a report.

And HM expects you soon.

Oh, also, it's late, the Arrows are probably back, unless they stayed in Pike's because of the storm.

What do you do?

Once my patients are at rest, and I have checked on Tally as well, I will sit Ghost down and see if she truly wishes to train as a healer. Once that is done I have lab work to do. There is both the red infection to be concerned over and the narcotic that the Harbormaster has been using to bind his chattel to him. I would spend some time getting to the bottom of the latter.

But perhaps, while alone, I will meditate and seek some guidance.

Bon,

Ghost
    "Yes, ma'am." Ghost answers quickly. "I very much would. I have been thinking about it all the days since I was here. I want to learn to do what you can do. If it pleases you."

As for getting to the bottom of HM's Home thing, you'll have to get some samples of Home, and that's going to mean exposing yourself (plus Mox, Shy, and Ghost) to serious danger, HM guards this closely, and I mean he literally has guards. You’re going to need some of his workers (Pine, or Decatur or Lissa, perhaps) to help you with it, to observe the effects the narcotic has on them. Once you've seen it in action, you'll need to add some method to manufacture injections of the antidote. This could help with the red infection, too, you realize.

"It does please me. But if, at any time, you believe this is not your path, you must tell me. It is not an easy one to trod."

It would still be sometime before she can replace Shy, or perhaps replace Mox and Mox replace Shy.

Shy...

Then for the Lab.

I contemplate the peculiar reactions of the blood samples to my tests. Of course... the drug is somehow derived from the red, or it is at least an ingredient or part of the manufacture process. It makes sense being that in the harbor the red would be plentiful. Perhaps some particular concentration is needed. He would need more sources, then, if he intends to continue manufacturing the substance. And some derivative might prove effective. Or perhaps he poisons them with the red and his concoction not only addicts but mitigates the infection. It will be hard to tell without testing a pure sample against red concentration, but the implications are disturbing. I will need to speak with many, and gain perspectives outside myself.

I clean and stopper everything and move to the center of the little room, settling myself on an a flat cushion bearing the logo found in abundance around SafeCo. I begin the careful exercises and breathing focusing my mind on the questions of the red infection and Home, and HM. Though I try to push it away, my mind settles on August also.

opening my brain. +1 xp

• (Rolled: 2d6-1. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 6)
  • edited August 2015
    Today has been very much. Much walking, much drinking, much crying. I hold my mother's voice in my hand, deep in my coat pocket. All I really want to do is find someplace quiet and listen to it again, and then maybe go back to the comfortable unspeaking of the pile. But I cannot. The Admiral will know I am back. Harbormaster expects me. I cannot relax for a long while yet. Despite what Gates says, no one can help me with these things.

I consider asking Fortyfour to come with me to see the Admiral. His presence would be reassuring and...he is an unusual man, more than he seems at a glance. But I notice the way he looks at me today, like I have sharp edges. Maybe I do. I cannot bring him with me. Probably, I would abandon him again--maybe on Harbormaster's threshold.

No, my path tonight is one I will walk alone. I am thankful for the many steps between where I stand and where this path ends--at Harbormaster's door. First, I will go to the Yacht Club, report to the Admiral, and collect my jingle. If I am lucky, Valentine will be there, so the Admiral can see I am pursuing the task he has set for me. If I am more lucky, the Admiral will refuse to pay me for the harbor trip, and I can back out of spying on Valentine.
  • edited June 2015

Vignette,

You head upstairs, up the long walk to the Yacht Club. The guard at the door steps aside, opens the door for you. Inside, you see Valentine, Admiral, dozens of customers, all the din of a busy restaurant.

When you step through the door, please go here.

Hmmm... Hadn't quite thought that far ahead in all the commotion to get in out o' the rain.

"You got an idea about where we could stay, Boeing? Cause if this rain keeps up, we definitely may need a place."

Bon,

You see the patients in the cots and beds you've set up here, all lying there, breathing softly. Time speeds up, you know because Shy and Mox move with crazy speed, checking and rechecking on them, changing bags of fluids, checking pulses. As time progresses, sun rise, sun set, they all start scratching at their arms, their faces, even their legs. Flesh falls away from all the repeated tears from their nails. In a matter of breaths, you see them bleeding over the sheets, the blood from sores all over their bodies. They can't stop, Bon.

You stand here, doing nothing, watching, a knife unused, and they tear themselves asunder.

Mox's hand on your arm rouses you from the waking nightmare. He looks up at you, concern on his face. Did he see what you just saw?

What do you do?

Gates,

Boeing_Header
    "If you don't mind tight quarters," Boeing says as he looks at you, then the others from your flock who are pulling carts and wagons. "There's a place called Bullpen where the owner likes me. I can get it for, uhm, us." His "us" seems inclusive of the whole flock.

What do you do?

Reading a situation before agreeing, for sure.

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 9)

What should I be lookin' out fer?

Gates,

Boeing is going to offer sex for your people to sleep in Bullpen. It's a coveted spot during the rain, some folks may insist on keeping their spots there.
  • edited June 2015

I look at Mox, still badly shaken by the vision. Is it failure? Where was I? So much suffering. So many names…

I take a shuddering breath, trying to calm my heart. My cheeks are moist and I wipe at them.

“What is it, Mox? Am I needed?”

Bon,

You look at Mox, and Joey is standing right beside him. Joey's forehead and hair are both damp, he looks flushed.

Joey_header
    "Miss Bon!" Joey says as he recovers his breath. "Tags got knifed up top. SeaTac's bringing him, sent me ahead to prep." That's when his eyes scan across the infirmary to see all the beds are taken.

What do you do?

"Well, Boeing, that's kind of ya, but I think what I might do is ask Valentine if ze's got anything in mind, first. Then maybe we'll return to yer idea. Why don't ya come with, in fact, while, I go track zir down?"

Gates,

Boeing_Header
    "Ze's easy to find, pretty stationary." Boeing says in agreement with your plan. "I'll buy you a coffee, Gates."

Does the rest of your flock come along, too?

Bon,

Please go here.

No need for us all to go stampin' around if we don't need to, but I'll definitely bring some folks. QuePasa if she's around, maybe one or two more, while other folks can just hang out and wait until we figure out what we're doin'.

Gates,

QuePasa left with Ghost to help out Bon, but she's returned while Ghost stayed down there. You and the flock head up to the Yacht Club with Boeing leading the way.

Needle, a guy who works for Valentine, shows up as you're going. He seems happy you're headed that way, he says, "Valentine needs some help in the club, lots of work to do."

Please go here.