[Shadowfate] Amnesia (3)

Comments

• The driver gives you a look. "I said, you get in back." He mutters something in Cantonese. The engine's already running, but he doesn't put it in gear.

• imageJubilex

I hold up a hand like a stop sign and climb in back, beside little Malin. As we ride out, I'll check my AR for any notable info.
  • There is a lot of spam on the AR. Offers for penis enlargement, "Happy Ending" massage, lowball BTL sex-sims with various Hong-Kong stars (clearly fake), but a small sampling of tourist-info. Have you been to Hong Kong before, Jubilex?

• imageJubilex

Lyssa and I blew off some steam at HK for a weekend. We had a corpsec gig at Macau, it was a skip over, so we did it. It's still as grimy ten years later. I put my arm over Malin's head and lean down to speak low in her ear, "Can you clean up my AR feed, Malin? Lots of spam on here. I'd like anything related to our target and police feed."
  • imageMalin

"Sure thing." You receive a ping asking for permission to open a secure pipe into your PAN. Once you consent, your AR overlay almost instantly cleans up and a few discrete icons appear. One is the over-the-air HK police comms feed (not the encrypted tactical stuff, just basic dispatch). The other is a specifically tailored search routine that constantly runs facial recognition on CCTV feeds and scans for your target's name in public forums and real-time news feeds. Each will blink an alert when something of note transpires.

After a brief stop and a short, angry-sounding conversation (most casual conversations in Chinese sound angry), you drive for another five minutes, during which the horn beeps no fewer than seventeen times. Then the van stops and the driver bangs on the partition "You get out here."

You emerge into a swirling torrent of motorbikes, minibikes, bike-bikes, muscle-powered rickshaws, pedestrians, and the occasional larger vehicle, all despite the fact that it's 3 AM local time.

imageLara opens the back of another step van, this one lightly armored, and indicates that you should load up as quickly as possible. "I'll take you back to the hotel as soon as you're set. No one but me has been in the room since Mr. Sonoma's assistant discovered that he wasn't there."

• imageJubilex

I nod to Lara, then lead the team up towards Jonas' room. "Lindo, check astral. Malin, check the Matrix. Mat, if you've got a drone, get one up and looking around." And me? I walk.
  • edited March 2015

The New Peninsula Hotel is a scrupulous near double-scale recreation of the famous and storied Hong Kong original. Their signature fleet of 28 Rolls Royce Apparitions, all in the hotel's trademark shade of deep green, waits to whisk guests to their destinations, appointments, and parties in comfort and security. Two doormen (door trolls, really), resplendent in livery of that same green, wait by each of three pairs of double doors leading into a lobby that's like something out of a VR production about Louis IV's court in Versailles. Lara takes you to the private elevator that goes directly to the top floor, which is completely booked by Jonas Sonoma's entourage, then to Sonoma's suite, which is approximately the size of the entire country of Liechtenstein.

Lindo sinks into a very expensive-looking arm chair, takes a moment to center himself, and goes off wherever he goes when he trances out. Malin's process is remarkably similar, but she seems a little intimidated by the furniture, instead sinking crosslegged onto a rug that's probably worth as much as you've made in the entire time since you left the corp life. Nizoni looks like she's making a spreadsheet in her head of exactly how much she could fence everything for. Mat lays one of his cases on a sofa, opens it and starts fiddling with his toys.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I head in, looking around for signs of the man Jonas is. Is it a mess? Did he look like a guy who know he was leaving? How about his toothbrush or whatever doodad he uses?
  • Jonas had only been checked into the hotel for four hours or so when his assistant discovered he was missing. In the bedroom, one of his cases is open and the sheets are mussed, as if he might have taken a nap for a bit. In the bathroom, his toiletries are still in their kit, which is open. He did take out and use his toothbrush, which lies on the rim of the sleek brushed-metal sink along with a tube of toothpaste. A hairbrush occupies the other side of the sink. In the sitting room (or whatever you'd call it if you were fancy), a Peninsula-branded decanter of something amber-colored sits on the sideboard on a green tray and a glass sits on a little table next to one of the chairs, with just a trace of mostly evaporated alcohol still wetting the bottom.

image"His man-purse is missing, but that's it. If he was planning on staying away for any period of time, he didn't pack for it. No hits on any of his SIM-linked accounts, but he could easily have anonymous credsticks, although Mr. Sonoma didn't even buy his own drugs. He has people for that. Well, to be honest, I have people for that." Lara's demeanor is still flat, but she's being competent and professional regardless.

• imageJubilex

Well, this is a puzzler. I check in with Malin, "Find anything interesting?"
  • imageMalin

"Hotel security feeds are fragged. Someone pretty good set them to record an empty loop, but..." She holds up a finger. "...they left a signature, a trail of sorts. I've got a spr... an agent following it to the source. Starting to get some results from my sieve of all the previous searches, as well. Give me five more minutes to put together a picture?"

imageLindo

Lindo cracks an eye. "Something happened here, there's a trace in the astral of it. Can someone find me an item that was uniquely important to the man I'm looking for? Also, I may need some privacy, to move somewhere other than a hotel even, if I need to do a full-on ritual. Too many residual traces."

Lara goes into the bedroom and returns with an old, beaten-up digital flute, which she hands to Lindo. He takes it and starts humming some low tune as he returns to his trance.

imageLara cocks her head. "Quite a team you have, especially for the PRD. Looks like we're waiting a few minutes. Why don't you tell me how you roped 'em in?"

• imageJubilex

I appreciate Ms. Justine's compliment, and she's right, this will take a bit. "Lindo and I have worked together for years. If you can believe it, his daughter dated my best friend. Mat was between gigs when I needed a driver for some work. I snatched his ass up right away, never looked back. My hacker's new, but she's a peach." I look over at Nizoni, chuckle, "Niz? She just showed up one day. Haven't figured out how to tell her she's too good for this team."

I look at Lara, "You look like you can handle yourself. What did you do before you babysat megastars?"
  • imageSonoma's security chief gives you that affectless look. "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you." She gives a mirthless chuckle. "Yeah, I was corp spec-ops for Seeder-Krup. Needed a change." There's something behind this, but she's not necessarily hiding. Just giving the bare minimum of information in trade.

• imageJubilex

I give her a look of camaraderie. "I can't blame you. I did corpsec for Ares myself. It's a hell of a racket." I leave it at that. We can have our secrets.
  • edited April 2015

imageSome bit of interest perks up. "Ares? So, you worked HQ jobs, if you were based in Detroit. Ever butt heads with Aztech? I hated those sister-fraggers, back in the day. Fragging... Anyway, you still seem to have the big-corp instincts. 'After action report.'" She snorts.

Just at that point Malin and Lindo both snap to.

imageMalin

"I think I've got something. It was a Triad. The Smoke Circle Society. They must have a techno... a hacker as good as me. I'm following the trail back to the origin... it's... here, in Kowloon. A hostess bar, 24 blocks away. What's a hostess bar?"

imageLindo

Lindo shrugs. "Son, wherever this man's body is, his self is in the astral. Those old wive's tales about waking a sleepwalker hold true, here. Proceed with caution. Extreme caution. He may have a minor gift, but it's ramped up, big time."

Both Lindo and Malin start getting ready to move. Mat gets the address and sends a dragonfly drone out in advance, to check out the exterior, at least. Nizoni gives you that unsettling "at last, we can rip the flesh off... uhm... get to the action. Right boss?" grin.

• imageJubilex

Split? That's not good. "Lindo, can you capture his spirit? Does it need to stay here, is it tethered?" To Malin's question, I give her a slightly uncomfortable grin, "Well... it's sort of like a geisha house, except the possibility of prostitution is more likely."
  • imageLindo

Lindo shakes his head. "That's very dangerous and dark practice, and it would take too long for me to make a soul jar, regardless. Far better to get to his body and call him back from there."

Malin's eyes widen a bit when you mention prostitution. She's about to say something, but Lindo holds up a hand. "Marie-Rose calling. Knew she'd get back to me." He does some of his mouth-moving subvocalization, then an icon flashes in your AR, inviting you into the call. Shortly after you select it, Lindo says, "Marie-Rose, you're on with the team. Go ahead."

Apparently, lovely speaking voices run in the family. Marie-Rose speaks up in a rich alto, with just a hint of Caribbean lilt to it. "Hello, guys. Hope you're keeping my uncle in line. So, Tempo is seriously interesting. Addictive, of course, but on the surface it doesn't seem like the effects are all that dangerous. On the surface, mind you. You already know it lets just about anyone see into the astral. Problem is that you never really just see into the astral. There's always some degree of projection, and without some form of defense it's easy to get into a lot of trouble."

• imageJubilex

"It sounds like our man did some Tempo, then he was booted out of his body." I say slowly, hoping I'm piecing it together. "So what's the connection to the Triad? They were here and saw an opportunity?" The answers are at the hostess bar, I'm thinking.

"Lindo, can you make sure Jonas is safe, ah, there?"
  • imageLindo

"I can do my best. I'll set my chien noir, my black dog, to follow him and guard as best as he can, but there's no guarantee I won't have to call him back if we run into trouble on the run."

Marie-Rose continues. "We don't know what the botanicals behind Tempo are, so I can't recommend a particular counteragent. However... you're in Hong Kong, Lindo said? See if you can get some good, pure polygala and myrrh. Mix them one-for-one, burn them, and have him inhale the smoke. It's sort of like aspirin for a headache, in the case of these Awakened drugs. It addresses symptoms, not causes, but it does help."

"Got it."

"Okay, I'm signing off."

• imageJubilex

Before she ends the call, I say, "Thank you so much, Marie-Rose." Once she'd gone, I look to Lindo, "Get the black dog on him, he's the job. Mat, what do you see at the address?"
  • A new icon from Mat pops up in your AR. You get a split-screen view when you acknowledge it, an exterior and a multi-frequency band scan of the interior of the building. Exterior shows a typical-looking, glossy hostess bar. Troll bouncer outside, and a human tout handing flyers to passing salarymen and tourists. You can see that there's plenty of footage, so you've probably got all angles on the building to examine. The MF-view shows multiple heat signatures, about sixteen on the main level and a nearly equal number upstairs, mostly in pairs very close together.

imageMat

"This is my third drone. They've got counter-measures. Far more sophisticated than you would expect for a midlevel joint like this."

imageMalin

Malin nods. "Having trouble with the internal feeds, and even the cameras outside are fighting me. These people have some secrets they're very interested in protecting."

• imageJubilex

"Looks like the direct approach is our best option." I say as I hear their reports. "Mat, let's get moving. I don't want to lose any more drones, but we do need support."
  • imageLara's definitely coming with you, and she offers the van. Mat holds his hand out for the keys as you reach the vehicle, and she pulls them back for a moment, then some look passes between them and she hands them over. "The seat's adjustable."

You arrive at Club O! Wo de nushen (Oh! My Goddess) in short order. Mat navigates like he was born in HK, and almost makes it without clipping someone on a minibike. (Just clipping them, they're surely okay.)

You've got the full layout, although it may not be the most recent floor plan. Mat's three, now four, dragonfly drones have given you some intel, and Malin is working as fast as she can to get you inside. To tell the truth, she's in her data trance and sweating, clearly in some sort of combat.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

"Malin," I say gently, not wanting to mess her up in her trance-fight. "Are you running interference on security? What should we expect to see after I take out the troll out front?"

To Mat: "Mat, keep an eye on Malin, she's staying in the van. Back us up with those drones if you can. Keep in contact, alright?"

"Niz, Lindo, Ms. Justine, let's head inside." I look at each of them, "Let's hit hard and fast."
  • The troll at the door throws you some shade as you walk up, and the tout gives you a look. The troll says, "You coming in for some action, you need to show me some love." He reaches out a palm.

Needless to say, you knock that sister-fragger out in a hot minute. Nizoni takes care of the human in equal time. The door is unlocked. How do you proceed? What's your order of entry, at least?

• edited April 2015
    imageJubilex

I enter first, combat shotty out. Lindo covers me. Ms. Justine brings up the rear.

Niz slips in and sneaks around us. Knock knock!
  • Typical bar, about a dozen people equally divided between male and female. Bartender. No one that matches Jonas's picture at all. They all look up when you burst in, of course. The bartender reaches down and pulls out a shottie that's almost the equal of yours. He's a stocky human, his motions indicate that he's got training. Nizoni and Lara both take a shot, and one of them hits. The bartender goes down with a shoulder wound, but not before getting off a shot. Who gets winged by his shot, Jubilex?

• imageJubilex

Ms Justine took the hit. It looks like she's wearing armor, she should be alright.

I move over to the bar, shout at the bartender, "Where's the unconscious guy they brought here about six or seven hours ago?"
  • Lara winces, but takes the hit in stride, moving forward with you. When you yell, the bartender shouts back over his pain, "No-one came in unconscious. I swear!" He cowers against the soda canisters. Customers and hostesses alike start sidling toward the door.

• imageJubilex

"Where are the Triad, fragface?" I order as I aim the barrel at him.
  • Still cringing. "Triad everywhere. They own this place! Some upstair, some down." Mat's voice comes into your ear. "Basement's shielded and hardened. Upstairs looks like mostly couples and guards, what you'd expect." Malin chimes in. "I think the best I can do is keep their hacker and security system off your backs. We're too evenly matched for me to get you the feeds, but he has me to deal with, so he shouldn't be able to do much else."

Nizoni, scanning the room, moves toward the storeroom door in the back. Lindo has taken on some of his patron's aspect, he has that look that makes you suspect his aura would shine very brightly indeed if you could see it. Lara's following Nizoni, it's the only place stairs down could be.

• imageJubilex

I give the team a hand signal for moving down, then head for the stairs as Mat directs. I'm going to let Niz open the door, then I'm leading the way.
  • You reach the bottom of the stairs, where there is a heavy metal door with a biometric maglock and two cameras. Lara says, "If your hacker engaged theirs, they'll surely know we're coming." She gives you a look. "Shock and awe?"

• imageJubilex

I give her a nod, "You're a girl after my own heart."
  • Nizoni does pulls something from her pocket, fiddles for a moment, and the lights on the maglock start blinking green. With a look to you, she puts her hand on the knob and, on your signal, pulls the door open. On the other side is a large room where three humans are waiting with weapons drawn. Lara dives through at an angle, landing in a crouch to the left of the door and firing off a shot before the thugs can respond. Nizoni's waiting for the moment of maximum chaos, and Lindo is holding up one of his talismans and chanting under his breath.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I close the door on Ms. Justine.

Just kidding!

I walk in, shotgun blazing, calm and quick, like an old west gunfighter.
  • edited April 2015

The room has the accoutrements of a working office. A few desks, a large conference table and chairs in the center. There's an open gun cabinet in one corner, and an old school, wired deck in another, with no one near it. The three armed men are in the center of the room, near the table.

Lara continues laying down covering fire, and you would know now, if you didn't already, that this Isn't Her First Rodeo.

Lindo gestures from his position outside the door, and a wave of darkness rolls out to take and takes on an indistinct shape that reminds you of either Papa Legba or Lindo himself, take your pick. The spirit moves to cover you.

Rules stuff. The three mooks will act as a single Fair NPC, with two stress boxes. They're Fair (+2) at hitting things, and Average (+1) at shooting things and athletic stuff.

Lara and Lindo just tried to Create Advantages for you. Lara will roll her Good (+3), Shoot (her Fight is Great), and Lindo will roll his Great (+4) Magic. They roll against a +2. I'll make their rolls in the next post. With successes, you'll have free Invokes on some useful Aspects as a result.

• edited April 2015
    Lara Rolls

(Rolled: 4dF+3. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, 0, +, +)

Lindo Rolls

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 3. Rolls: -, 0, +, -)
  • That there is what I'd call a Suitable Distraction You get two free invokes from Lara and one from Lindo, for a total of three.

• imageJubilex

Now that's some solid teamwork. Let's hope I can clear these a-holes so we can move on. They're obviously canon fodder,. The guns will be further down. This is the fragging receptionist area.
    Shoot:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 3. Rolls: -, +, -, 0)
  • Thugs roll Athletics for Defense

(Rolled: 4dF+1. Total: 1. Rolls: 0, -, 0, +)
  • Between you and Lara, one of the thugs is out of the fight and one is moaning in pain, grabbing for the gun that fell to the floor when he dropped. The remaining goon takes a shot at you as he dives away.

Thug(s) roll Shoot

(Rolled: 4dF+1. Total: 3. Rolls: 0, +, +, 0)

• imageJubilex

I'm defending with Athletics!
    (Rolled: 4df+1. Total: 3. Rolls: 0, +, 0, +)
  • imageJubilex

Thankful for my team, I'll invoke Suitable Distraction to push my defense to a +5. They were thrown off by the shock AND the awe.
  • They were. Let's just say your defense was active, and all three thugs are down for the count. You've got two exits from this room (aside from the one you came in through), both also metal doors with significant locks. Nizoni rushes in, disappointed not to have drawn blood, and Lindo follows.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

"Mat and Malin," I call over subvocal comms, "We've got two metal doors here. Which one leads us down the quickest?" If they don't have a good answer, I'll get Niz on the one on the right.
  • imageMat

"We don't have eyes down there at the moment. Seems like they're more worried about surveillance than an armed incursion, which ought to tell you something. Not sure what, but something.

On your signal, Nizoni heads to the door on the right and sets to work on the lock. It takes her a bit longer than usual, but eventually the lights turn green and she pulls the door open. You chose well, there's another set of stairs leading down. You can see as far as a landing ten steps away, where the stairs take a turn to the left.

• imageJubilex

"Watch my handsome backside, please." I say as I move in and down the steps. Shock and Awe mode is still on.
  • Everyone lets your little quip lie there as they file behind you. The spirit stays on your flank. As you make the turn at the landing, the door at the bottom swings open and you're faced by a dwarf with a very big gun and a katana handle sticking up over his shoulder.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

If he gets that gun to bear, we're going to be torn apart. I kick in my wired reflexes and hop up to the railing, then push off the top of the railing to jump down on him. I want to Create an Advantage here, trying to keep him from shooting us.
  • Go ahead and give me that Fight or Athletics roll. I can either see this as an Overcome action (to simply keep him from getting the gun into position), or a Create Advantage for the next Fight/Shoot roll you make. The dwarf will be defending with Athletics.

• imageJubilex

Fight to Overcome:
    (Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 2. Rolls: 0, +, -, -)
  • Dwarf rolls Athletics
    (Rolled: 4dF+2. Total: 0. Rolls: -, -, +, -)
  • These are some serious moves you're laying down, here. Off the rail and the wall, and you come down square on him, knocking the gun out of his hands and to the ground. The spirit flows down the stairs behind you, and Nizoni starts rushing down the stairs. The dwarf reaches behind himself to pull the katana out of his trenchoat and turns to face you in the narrow confines of the entryway.

What's your play, here?

• imageJubilex

Narrow confines equals maximum impact for my shotty. I'm unloading on him, damn the consequences.
    Shoot:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 4. Rolls: -, 0, +, 0)
  • Short range equals narrow spread equals a hole where his heart used to be, which is not nearly as emo or romantic as it sounds. Door's open, dead dwarf, cool katana. You hear the sound of several people moving toward you, shouting, from inside the room.

• imageJubilex

If I had time.

If I had time, I would most certainly pick up that katana and scabbard to take with me. But I don't, Maybe later, on the way out, I can grab it.

If Niz hasn't already snagged it.

I'm charging into the room, shotty ready, eyes for targets. I worry Jonas' body might be close, so I'm eyeing targets, trusting in the spiritual protection Lindo set up.
  • edited April 2015

Aside from four more dwarves with big ol' guns and katanas (this is almost like a shopping trip!) and the tall, scary-looking elf with an honest-to-goodness Fu Manchu mustache and silver hair with an ancient-seeming two handed zhanmadao nearly five feet long and the distinctive look of a physical adept, this room could easily be a set from a historical drama involving an opium den. And yes, Jonas Sonoma is here on a chaise, apparently slumbering quietly, among about a dozen other people you suppose are customers.

Lara quickly starts taking targeted shots at the dwarves, while Nizoni does something acrobatic and sticks a knife into the tender parts of one of the ones Lara's not shooting at. The elf strides toward you like a predatory cat, seemingly unconcerned by your shotgun. His armor seems ancient, as well, and various unknown-to-you Chinese characters gleam bright white among the various plates of silvery metal and enamel-enhanced leather.

• imageJubilex

Oh, man. This is going to hurt.

I doubt this will do much, but he did bring a knife to a gunfight, so I'm taking a pot shot before he gets too close.
    Shoot
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 6. Rolls: 0, +, +, 0)
  • Fu Manchu rolls Athletics

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 4. Rolls: -, -, +, +)
  • imageJubilex

I'm invoking the spirit to slow this frakker down, taking a +2 on this hit to mark off his 4-Stress box.
  • Marking off the 4-Stress box for "Fu Manchu".

The elf takes the hit, shoulder knocked back by the shot, but keeps stalking toward you, apparently unfazed.

Everything going on in your peripheral is a blur. This is like one of those scenes in an old Western or martial arts movie where the world narrows to a single corridor between the challenger and the challenged. The elf seems unhurried, but the distance is certainly being covered uncomfortably quickly. About four long steps away, he stops and takes a ready position, both hands on the long hilt of his weapon. You recall that this was originally used against cavalry, to cut the legs out from under horses.

The elf says, "YOU MUST DEFEAT MY BLADE TO STAND A CHANCE." And, triggered by that vocal cue, apparently, a glitchy 8-bit "VERSUS" appears in your AR overlay, blinking and rotating.

• imageJubilex

Well hell, if he's four feet away, I'm taking a cheap shot at him. I can draw my knife pretty quickly (I hope) after.

Shoot:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 3. Rolls: +, -, 0, -)
  • Defend:
    (Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 5. Rolls: -, +, 0, +)
  • imageJubilex

To be honest here, I'm a little scared to have this guy hit me. I'm burning 2 FP to invoke my Street Samurai high concept aspect along with using the distraction again (and paying for it. That gives me a +2 on him.
  • You're close enough that the elf's swift Matrix-time twist to the right would allow the blast to go right past, if it was anyone else doing the shooting. However, a combination of your gun-fu and a feint from the shadowy spirit Lindo set to protecting you ensures that your shot catches your opponent square on the shoulder, spinning him around and throwing him to the ground.

Your situational awareness lets you sense that only one of the dwarf antagonists is still standing, and Nizoni is moving to help you as Lara shifts her aim to the last of the underlings.

2-shift Hit + Weapon-3 = 5 shifts of damage - 2-armor = 3 stress. Marking off the Elf's 3-stress box.

The elf doesn't stay down for any time at all. He spins his legs and helicopters himself up off the ground, using the momentum of his spin to move into a swift, sweeping strike.

• Elf Swings!
    (Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 4. Rolls: 0, +, 0, -)
  • imageJubilex

Defending with Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 5. Rolls: +, 0, 0, -)
  • Your opponent blinks in surprise, re-evaluating the threat level you represent, as he sinks into a defensive posture, holding the long two-handed sword cross body and waiting for your riposte.

• imageJubilex

I feint like I'm going to punch him, but I'm after that smexy sword of his.
    (Fight roll to Create Advantage: Dude is Disarmed)
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, 0, -, +)
  • Defend with Fight

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 6. Rolls: 0, +, +, 0)
  • The adept raises his blade above his head, tip pointed toward you and takes two quick steps forward, swinging down and to the left in a stroke intended to divide you into two roughly equal parts.

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 1. Rolls: -, -, -, 0)

• imageJubilex

I like just the one me, thanks.
    Defend with Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 3. Rolls: -, +, -, -)
  • You manage to roll under the stroke and come up on your feet, not quite behind your foe. You're in a decent position to come back with a hand to hand attack, unless you've got a weapon up your sleeve?

• imageJubilex

I have a couple daggers up my sleeve, do they count?

With a bit of a flourish, I draw one from the scabbard at my back and the other from the scabbard on my right thigh as I come up from the roll. Then, I'll make with the stabby stabby.

Rolling to Overcome with Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 4. Rolls: 0, -, -, +)
  • The elf swings around rather desperately to defend against your attack, dropping his long blade, which is useless now that you're truly in hand-to-hand distance. He's using hands and arms to block your attack for now, but you can see other blades on his belt. For this Attack only, you have a Boost, Opponent Temporarily Disarmed that you can Invoke free for +2 after he rolls.

Defend with Fight

(Rolled: 4dF+5. Total: 5. Rolls: +, -, -, +)

• imageJubilex

I'll invoke that Boost, and I'll spend a FP to use my Street Samurai Aspect, since I'm doing what I do best. That puts me three up on him.
  • Your Wired Reflexes and hand-to-hand instincts combine to let you strike absolutely true, one dagger finding the cord of wiry muscle in the elf's neck. His eyes widen in surprise and he issues a guttural grunt of pain as he reaches for the daggers on his own belt. "Who are you?" he says, as he lashes out almost at random.

• Elf Attacks

(Rolled: 4dF+5. Total: 3. Rolls: +, -, -, -)
  • imageJubilex

I hop back, letting him draw his daggers, meeting his eyes. "I'm just a Runner. Nothing more." Then I'm moving with him, matching his movements and bringing my daggers up to meet his.

Defense with Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 3. Rolls: -, -, +, -)
  • When you tie on Defense, you grant your opponent a boost. In this case, I'm calling it simply, The Runner's Off Balance. I get one free invoke of that and then it goes away.

The elf takes the moment when you're off balance to solidify his own stance, spreading his legs and moving into a ready position in preparation for your next attack.

• imageJubilex

"Listen. You don't have to die here." I say as I continue circling him. "We're just after that guy over there. Let us take him, and we're done."
  • The elf sneers as he matches your motions. "It's a good offer, but three minutes from now you'll be dead, regardless." He looks smug.

• imageJubilex

I nod, "Guess I gotta kill you fast." I close in, moving hard, both daggers points headed for arteries, to take him down as quick as possible.

(Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 8. Rolls: +, +, 0, +)
  • He throws up his guard quickly in an attempt to meet your blades.

Defend

(Rolled: 4dF+5. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, +, 0, -)

• Your left blade finds a joint in his armor, severing a tendon and leaving your opponent Hamstrung. He staggers to keep his balance, grimacing with pain, but does not go down. He pushes off from his good leg and comes at you, both daggers trying to come down on your shoulders like this is a bullfight.

I think that effectively expires the Boost he had on you, so he won't get to use it after all.

Attack

(Rolled: 4dF+5. Total: 3. Rolls: -, +, -, -)

• imageJubilex

"Niz, get the target and get out." I say aloud as I move to parry his blow, then finish this guy off. I know Mat heard us.

Defend with Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 6. Rolls: 0, +, 0, 0)
  • edited April 2015

Succeed with Style on Defense (3+ shifts) means a Boost. Your opponent is Tiring. One free invoke, then it goes away.

You're definitely wearing him down, and this guy is clearly used to being the badass in the room. As Nizoni finishes the last of the dwarves, she and Lara move to the limp form of Jonas Sonoma. Let's see your Attack.

• imageJubilex

I half imagine a wrinkled old guy in robes screaming "FINISH HIM!" as I feint with a dagger towards his face, then stab him in the chest.

(Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 6. Rolls: +, +, 0, -)
  • Defend

(Rolled: 4dF+5. Total: 7. Rolls: 0, +, 0, +)
  • imageJubilex

I'll use that boost to bring my attack to a 7. Then, I'm spending a FP to use my Aspect Haunted by Failure. I can't let this go on any longer, lose my team to whatever Triad backup is on its way.
  • You summon all your resources and go for one last strike that leaves your foe Bleeding Out from the wound in his chest. He sinks to the floor and turns his head away in an obvious sign of concession.

You follow Nizoni and Lara (with Sonoma between them), and Lindo back up the stairs. Lindo's limp is more and more pronounced with every step, but he soldiers on with only the occasional wincing intake of breath. When you reach Lara's van, Mat is already in the driver's seat and you're peeling out as soon as the doors close.

• imageJubilex

I pull out Shotty to cover them on the way out, "We need a quick exit. Lara, you're coming with us, right?"
  • Let's cut back to the penthouse suite at the hotel. Jonas is in the bedroom with Lara and Lindo, with a real honest-to-goodness doctor on the way as Lindo administers the treatment his niece suggested and keeps watch on the pop star's spirit in the astral.

imageMalin

Malin approaches you in the sitting area. "I'm sorry, Jubilex. I should have been more help, but I could barely keep Flikker at bay. He's strong, but I don't think we left any Marcus Wellby traces for him to follow. I don't think so." She looks at her hands. "I wish I could talk to him, actually. He's got some tricks."

• imageJubilex

I peer up at her, me sitting, her standing. "We made it out without much trouble. You pitched in, kept him off our backs. If you want to give me a rundown of all the things you did when we get back, I'll talk it through with you. I even have a few hackers on call who you can work with." I pat her arm, "And you're still getting paid."

I look over at Niz, "You remember our first run together, Niz?" I grin, hoping she'll tell the story about the "fight on the fuzzy carpet".
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni snorts a laugh. "Borg-Elvis? That was crazy." She looks at Malin. "To be clear, the carpet in that room was everywhere. Floor, walls, ceiling, all covered with this puke-green fuzzy shag. Target was a runner with so much low-grade cyberware he'd gone full-on psycho, thought he was some idiot pop star that died a hundred years ago. Had on this sparkly white jumpsuit, and a ridiculous black wig on his chrome-dome, all poofed up. He had somehow gotten his hands on plans for some big sekrit weapon, and we had to go in and retrieve it. Jubilex took one look at the guy and just broke out laughing, Circe laughing along over wireless. What was it you said, Ju-ju-be?" She looks to you to continue the story.

• edited April 2015
    imageJubilex

Niz isn't one for the classics, but I have seen a few Elvis movies back when I was recuperating after a bad run. "I told him we brought him a hunka hunka burning love, right before I unleashed shotty on him, dragonsbreath rounds." I chuckle, "Of course, that ruined the barrel, so that was the life and death of Shotty one point oh."

Niz must be in a good mood. She hasn't called me Ju-ju-be since the old team took holiday in Cancun. That was a blast.
  • Nizoni shakes her head, amused at the memory.

imageMalin

Malin follows every word like it's a breadcrumb leading to the future. She shakes her head in unconscious imitation of Nizoni. "That sounds amazing. Crazy, but amazing. You got the plans, right?"

• imageJubilex

"What? Oh, sure. They were drek, a big hoax." I answer, laughing. "We still got paid, though." It wasn't much.
  • imageLindo

Fast-forward a bit farther. Lindo comes out of the bedroom and sinks into an armchair, face drawn and weary. He looks old. When he speaks, his voice has little of its usual resonance. "Managed to coax his spirit back into the fold. No way to tell yet what kind of damage there was. He had an astral parasite attached." He shudders and shakes his head, as if to clear the memory.