[SWAW] The Big Score (22)

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Cratala smiles slightly with the compliment, nodding once. She seems quite interested in a willing participant. Other than herself, there are almost no cybernetics on the people you've seen.

The last couple people have left, and now it's just you, Jojee, Hosk, Cratala, and Captain Harsol

Harsol-header
    "Captain Vos," Harsol begins like he's opening trade negotiations. "We've had opportunities in the past to steal a ship from a crew of scavs, but the situation in the galaxy was untenable. What you've told us doesn't sound tempting. I am loathe to lose my crew to the Empire after keeping them relatively safe for so long."

Cratala-header
    Cratala adds, "Truth be told, Captain Vos, Rel here, he's been keeping me safe. Emperor Palpatine wanted me to serve on his personal medical staff. He believed my superior cybernetics could make him... immortal." This makes Harsol extremely uncomfortable.

Harsol isn't the only one that's made uncomfortable by that. "That would be bad. Very bad." I take a moment to think. "From what I know about the state of the galaxy, it would definitely still be a real danger for you. If anything, things are heating up. Maybe the best course is to try to make things easier for you here, for the time being? If you give me something to make Hontu happy, I'm sure I can negotiate a real mission of mercy." And if Hontu is happy, I'll be able to afford to take the time for it.
    "Captain," Hosk says to you, but of course they can hear, "Squall was very impressed with the cybernexu. IsoTech would definitely benefit from any of Cratala's cybernetic research." He looks at you, then over to her.

Cratala-header
    "Are there any..." Cratala says hesitantly, "Less dangerous places we could find to hide?"

I ponder that. "No place that you could keep the gang together and avoid notice, but Tatooine... as barren as it is, I think the rest of your complement could scatter into the wind and at least the two of you could find a way to hide, if you're smart. Maybe a few others." I drum my fingers on my thigh. "And the black market is quite active, there."
  • Harsol-header
    "Tell me more about this Rebellion." Harsol says seriously. "There are a few here who would be interested in this."

It takes me a moment to decide what to say about that. I glance to Hosk, then respond. "They're growing. The Empire is worse even than you think, truthfully. They're everywhere. A moon-sized vessel, or weapon, depending on your perspective, that they call the Death Star, destroyed Alderaan, and it's just growing more and more dark. I have... friends in the Rebellion. I could certainly arrange for some of your people to be vetted, at the very least. If they've stayed alive here, they have skills."
  • Cratala's eyes widen in surprise at the fate of Alderaan. Harsol's jaw sets and he grunts once in grim acceptance.

Harsol-header
    "They have skills, they will pass muster." Harsol says without hesitation. "Hontu, like his father, only sees profit in this. Cratala is not an asset for some megacorp."

Cratala-header
    Cratala interjects, "I've heard of Tatooine. We should give it a shot, Rel." She puts a familiar hand on his forearm. He tenses, moves his hand away without trying to be too obvious.

Harsol-header
    Harsol sighs, "It's been an exciting day for everyone. You're here, and safe. These walls have held for a very long time. Cratala, would you like to give them a tour? I'm going to scare up a team to fetch the carcasses of the cybernexu." She nods.

Cratala-header
    The Arkanian looks to you, "Captain Vos, if you and your crew will come with me, I can show you around, secure some quarters, fresh food, a place to bathe. Also, you can check on your other crewmembers."

Do you do anything before she starts to lead the three of you away?

Cratala may not be solely a profit-making asset for Hontu, but I'm going to need something to take to him, if I'm to call this mission a success. As to the relocation, I suspect the Roughnecks might be able to help, if there are assets hardened by an environment like this that already hold a grudge against the Empire at the end of the deal. I'll have to think.

For now, though, I have nothing further. Tour, bath, check on Squall and Amy, all sounds good. Hope we locked the Profit Margin up tight.
  • Cratala-header
    Cratala gestures to your surroundings, "We're currently in the largest building in the encampment. Both Rel, I mean Captain Harsol, and I are quartered here. Though, truth be told, I spend most of my waking hours at my lab."

She leads you outside, heads for her lab, of course. She takes you on a reasonably detailed tour of it, "This is the center for all research activity in the Retreat, holding the best equipment. Right now, it's the only building to have consistent power. The majority of our work focuses on my team's cybernetics developments, we also have researchers working on problems within the settlement. They develop treatment methods and cures for local maladies, and analyze the indigenous animals and plants for use as food or other potential aids."

It's obvious that this is the most high-tech building in the settlement, created entirely from salvaged metal plates, with interior finishes and electronics from the ship. The building holds the main lab, along with several smaller labs, a surgery room, secure storage, and a data center.

There are a couple researchers here, one human and one Twi'Lek. In the surgery room is Squall, on the table, though the dented and slightly worn FX-series medical droid is not operating on zir. Amarath is here, she stands up from the seat where she was sitting like a watch dog.

"Amarath, how is the patient? And how are you?"
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath comes over, talking low, "This med droid isn't half bad. Ze's stable, but they don't have bacta or any poodoo like that. They've got a synthetic from plants around here. It works slow. Squall should be awake tomorrow. The leg will be karked for a while without better supplies." She pauses, not even a little happy about that. "At least they set it."

"Cratala, can you contact Captain Harsol, stop him before he sets out? We have some medical supplies on our ship that might help, and I'd be willing to leave some behind, in exchange for a guarantee that my First Mate will be able to go there, retrieve them, and return without harm or any other incursion to the vessel." Eyetee can tell them precisely where we are, anyway, and it doesn't seem as if Harsol's about to take off without Cratala.
  • Cratala leaves you in the surgery room to get one of the researchers to contact Captain Harsol.

Hosk says low, glancing at the droid as he speaks, "Peace offering, I understand. Might help Squally, too. Jo, you watch over Lad, yeah?" Jojee nods, silently answering, What do you expect me to do?

As I wait for Cratala's return, I move to Squall unless Amy or the droid stops me, take zir hand, and kiss zir on the forehead. Whether she's conscious or not, I ask in a serious tone, "How are you doing, Squally? You fought like a rancor back there. I hope you're proud."
  • Nobody stops you from approaching Squall, taking zir hand. You head Amarath sniff a couple times as she watches. When was the last time you saw Amy get genuinely emotional about someone?

Cratala re-enters, gives you a moment to talk to Squall, give her some touch, some attention. Once you look her way, she comes closer.

Cratala-header
    "I have to say, Captain Vos, you seem very close with your crew."
  • edited April 2015

The last time I saw Amy get genuinely emotional was about Squall, I believe, when she watched me compliment zir on zir work patching up the Margin after my little vacation. That, or when I offered Amarath Shade a name.

Without shame or caring who hears me, I say, "We're a small crew, and I deprived myself of family for many years, out of selfishness and stubbornness. These are my people."
  • Cratala-header
    She offers a sympathetic smile, "I promise any supplies you provide will be used to help her."

Amarath-header
    "Zir!" Amarath blurts out. "Squall prefers zir."

Cratala-header
    Cratala nods, accepting it without question, "Apologies." She looks to you, "I'd like to show you a few more spots in the camp before your crew settles. Did you want your First Mate to leave now?"

With a look to Hosk first, I answer, "Please."
  • Hosk ducks his head, then leaves for the HQ. Cratala continues the tour, giving shorter descriptions of the other builds as if she senses your crew's weariness.

Cratala-header
    "Over here is the garage." She points to a wide, flat building. "It was more important to our survival in the early days, but once the speeder bikes died, it's become more of a repair shop. Ninan, a Sep Aqualish engineer and mechanic runs it with some part-timers and an old astromech droid, R2-6N."
    You realize Hosk could probably swap some stories with that guy.

Adjoining the exterior perimeter fence is an enormous, fully enclosed cage. The cago consists of rusted metal fencing spanning thick tree trunks and posts created from the ship's superstructure. Scraps from the hull serve as heavy reinforcements against escape.

"My staff and I use this cage, along with its series of interlocking enclosures and fenced corridors, to hold the creatures we use in our experiments." Cratala explains with a hint of pride. "The subjects are primarily nexy but also include smaller, less aggressive animals. For safety purposes, only battle droids enter the cages." She points out that the main exercise cage currently holds four cybernexu. They seem much more domesticated that wild nexu. Still dangerous, though.

She takes you to a round metal central structure with a high ceiling. "This is main droid shop. We store specialized maintenance gear and electronics. The climate and exposure means they are in need of constant repair." You see a handful of droids of various types on workstations are, all in a state of rebuilding or disrepair.

• image (still on droid shop)

The adjoining winds are storage areas. The east area holds salvaged droid parts from the ship in addition to worn-out and damaged units for use in rebuilding the working droids. The west are serves as quarters for Rewna, who is in charge of droid maintenance

Cratala introduces you to Rewna, a reptilian humanoid. Cratala explains, "Rewna here is vital to the survival of the settlement. She is an excellent mechanic, a whizz with droids. She's kept the machines working far, far past their expiration dates."

Rewna looks at each of you, saying in a raspy voice, "You are Kiffar? It has been many years since I saw a Kiffar." She doesn't offer a hand to shake, just stands there in her slightly sloped stance.
  • edited April 2015

I hold both hands out at waist level, palms up and fingers splayed. "Greetings, Rewna. May your nest prosper." I hope I got that right. I has been a long time since I encountered a Lirn. "I am Kiffar. Ladro Vos, of the vessel Profit Margin."
  • Rewna-header
    She mimics the motion, so you probably got it right, "So nice to meet a Kiffar again. You are considerate for my nest. I am glad to know you." Jojee seems impressed. Cratala is slightly surprised, as if Rewna's reaction was unexpected.

Cratala-header
    "Captain Vos... if you'd like to speak with Rewna further, the tour is nearly done. Only the broken generators and living quarters remain, actually." She seems reluctant to interrupt you, but uncomfortable just standing here.

"I'm sure we'll have the chance to speak, soon, thank you. Rewna, I apologize, but we have had a long day. I look forward to hearing about your broodmates." To Cratala, I say, "A bath and the living quarters would be lovely, if only for a brief rest."
  • Rewna blinks slowly, like a nod of acceptance, and Cratala finishes the tour, ending at the Living Quarters, which are a collection of huts and barracks built mainly from local materials. Most sleep in makeshift beds or hammocks or on salvaged mattresses. Each building has its own small cooking facility, fireplace, or outdoor fire pit. Cargo containers and storage lockers serve as personal storage.

Much like that in the rest of the settlement, the furniture is a combination of salvaged goods and locally-constructed pieces. Residents are here even now. Cratala assigns your crew to a small hut, and shows you to the rainwater showers and the hand-carved tubs.

Who gets to wash off first?

I will pull rank and insist that Jojee wash first, since it's only the two of us. To my nose, she smells worse than I do.
  • Jojee is tired enough not to argue the point for once, and she heads out to shower.

Let's jump ahead a few hours. You're sitting at a small cooking fire with Jojee and Hosk. Amarath hasn't come around, but Cratala did tell her where you were staying.

Hosk-new-headshot
    Hosk is eating some food he brought from the Margin. Its in a can, "Someone should take some chow to Amarath." You know if nobody says anything, he will. Jojee is looking to you.

I understand when I'm being called on to do my job. I consider the native options and grab a self-heating can of beans-and-mystery-meat from the stash that Hosk brought back. "I'll make sure she eats. You two can stand down for the time being." Unless I'm interrupted, I'm sure I find Amarath at Squall's bedside.
  • edited April 2015
    As you expected, Amarath's still seated right by Squall's bedside. Although, she's half seated, half laying on Squall's bed, just a tiny edge of it.

Amarath-header
    She rouses when you step inside, blinks her one eye, reaches for the food, "Thanks, Ladro." Amarath sits back in her seat, tries to compose herself, munches on the food noisily for a few minutes.

Squall's leg is in a splint, made from a metal splint housing with ties made from vines. It serves the purpose well enough. Zir head looks healed, probably from the treatment as well as the bacta. The medical droid is not present.

"Doc said the leg will heal in time, just have to keep Squally off it too much. Zir head..." Amarath's voice falters a little, like she doesn't want to finish the sentence.

I do my best to keep the worry out of my voice. "What about zir head, Amarath?"
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    Amarath looks up, makes her face drop to a neutral expression, "Squall might have some problems. With zir head.... Cratala offered to," She taps the metal casing around her cybereye, "But ze's so pretty this way. I don't want zir to have to live with it. With being less of a person." She shifts to angry, her fist clenching a bit, taking solace in that, instead of getting weepy.

That's a punch in the gut, but I reach out to cover her clinched fist with my hand. "Squally's tough, Amarath. You know that. She'll make the decision she needs to. She'll probably think it's an adventure."
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    "What if ze's too karked in the head to make that decision? What if ze's scared of it?" Amarath asks the questions, but the one she doesn't ask is: What does she think of my cybernetics?

I shake my head. "If ze needs help, we help zir. If ze's afraid, we calm zir down. Squall clearly loves you, Amy. Think about the look on zir face when ze took out that nexu. Did there seem to be any hesitation, did ze seem to think you're less of a person?"
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    Her face relaxes a little, she licks her lips, thinking on it. "No. Ze didn't.You think Squall... loves me?" She looks away at that, unable to keep looking at you, her eyes drawn to Squall.

I chuckle. "Amy, you are the single biggest pain in the space heinie I have ever had the chance to know. Why else would someone as smart as Squall put up with you, if ze didn't love you?"
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    "Last person who said he loved me, left me. The one before that, kept kriffing my sister." Amarath says quietly. "Why didn't ze ever tell me then? I figured it was just for laughs for zir.... or something."

"Amy, I could be talking drek here, but if I'm not, you should be having this conversation with Squall. How do you feel?"
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    "I don't know." Amarath says quickly. "Squall's great and all... but love? What does love even get you? Your love's worlds away. Plus, I have trouble with the whole... faithful thing. And intoxicants. And, you know, honesty. I figured I was just a bad girl phase, you know?"

"Amarath Vos-Uhuru, have you considered that it might be time for that phase to end? It's one thing when your're bouncing around the galaxy like a ball in a rigged pachinko machine, but you have people that actually count on you, now. Not just to shoot straight, either. Counting on you to be a friend, to be crew, to be family. You matter to us, and you need to decide if we really matter to you."
  • Amarath doesn't answer. Not out loud. You probably got to her, she seems a bit sheepish, but still too stubborn to admit it.

I don't push any further. I stand and put a hand on her shoulder. "You need to get a wash and some sleep, Amy. I'm not going to make that an order, but I want you to wake me in four hours or so. I'll take a shift here while you get a nap. Understood?"
  • edited April 2015
    Amarath-header
    Amarath gives out a frustrated sigh, "Fine, Captain. But if ze wakes up, you better come get me." She pushes her self up, stands over Squall for a moment, touching zir cheek, then leans down to kiss the Rattataki's lips, softly.

Amarath heads out, muttering loud enough for you to hear, "Call me a blasted pachinko machine.... I'll pachinko you someday."

I settle into the chair and pull out my datapad to look over Hosk's proposed regs for the Profit Margin. I expect that I'll fall into a doze at some point, but I've pulled enough long watches that any significant change in the environment should wake me up.
  • You're woken from a light sleep by a gentle touch on your forearm. It's Squall. Ze always looks pale, so that's no sign, but there's something around zir eyes, weariness, maybe pain.

Squall whispers out, "Cap..." The right side of zir mouth curls in a tiny grin.

I come to awareness quickly. "Hey there, warrior. How are you feeling?"
    Still in that whispery voice, ze replies, "... like a rancor... pissed in my mouth. Then, sat on my head." Zir eyes squint for a minute, then ze closes them. "How bad?"

Tempered honesty. "The leg's well on the way, but you had some head trauma in the fall. I haven't spoken with the med droid, but Amarath said that Dr. Cratala had offered some of her expertise, if you want to go that route. I sent Amy to get some sleep." I look around for some way to summon the med droid.
  • There's a call button near Squall's head. When you push it, the med droid arrives shortly after.

Squall grimaces a little, "Head throbbing. Need to test my acuity... later."

The droid queries, "Yes, sir. What is the nature of your emergency?"

"I thought you would want to know that your patient was awake."
  • edited April 2015
    51-B Med Droid"Thank you, Captain Vox." the droid says pleasantly. "I was aware of the patient's condition." Squall snickers, then groans a little.

I've only just recently reclaimed my name. I'm not going to let it lie when an antiquated med droid gets it wrong. "Vos. It is Captain Vos. And if you were aware that Squall was awake, where in the galaxy were you?"
  • edited April 2015
    51-B Med Droid
    "Attending other matterx, Captain Vox." it intones. "My voicebox hax been damaged. Pardon the raxp." It moves in to examine Squall, it's several appendages coming out to touch zir. "Ix there anything you need?"

"I apologize. I hope that Dr. Cratala is able to repair your voixebox... voicebox, soon. Can you walk with me for a moment? Squally, I'll be right back." I indicate the door with my head.
  • edited April 2015
    51-B Med Droid
    The droid, which moves on small wheels, "walks" outside with you, its head turned to face you, "Yex, Captain Vox?"

"Can you fill me in on my engineer's condition? I've only heard third-hand. Ze's very important to me."
  • edited April 2015
    51-B Med Droid
    It motors beside you, making more noise than it should, "The patient fell from a great height, Captain Vox. The head injuriex are xevere. I am xurprixed that the bacta allowed her to wake up thix quickly. I wixh to do xome texting, but it ix likely xhe hax xuffered fifteen percent mental acuity loxx. A porxion of her frontal lobe loxt blood flow for too long."

That staggers me, and I stop dead as the droid rolls past by a few paces. "Amarath mentioned that Dr. Cratala had suggested she might be able to help? Do you know what she proposed?"
  • edited April 2015
    51-B Med Droid
    The droid answers with what sounds like a little less surety. "Cratala propoxed cybernetic replacement of the damaged porxion of the patient'x brain. Xhe believex it will not only replace what was loxt, but allow your engineer to increaxe functioning. I would recommend thix procedure be handled in a much more xterile environment than Cholganna."

For the first time it hits me that this is my fault. Squall is 85 percent the genius ze was, because of my choices, my failures. Standing there navel-gazing so that I missed the threat from the tree octopi. Missing shots because my attention was scattered, worrying about the crew, instead of focusing on the threats.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I hope you'll be available if I have more questions, but I needn't take up much more of your time."

Once the droid putters away, I lean back against the wall, scrubbing my eyes with the back of a fist.
  • You're alone here, with your thoughts. The sounds of the jungle are present, with crackling fire from a cooking stove nearby. There's a soft hum of machinery from the lab. Nothing else. None to accuse you, to berate you, or to cry at the losses.

Also, none to comfort you. None to reassure you, or to support you.

How long do you stay there, leaning against the wall by yourself, Ladro?

What do you do next?

I realize something else, in this moment. I've stripped away all of my peers. I can talk to Hosk, as a First Mate, now, of course, but I don't think I can really open up to anyone. It's good for the crew, for me to act more executive, but I'm suddenly aware that the only people I can really be honest with, about what I'm feeling are half the galaxy away. Ahji Dar, my brother, maybe my father, even Lens, if I were to find myself on a barstool next to her. Squall? Amy? Jojee? Even Hosk? Maybe not.

I walk back into Squall's room, take zir hand, even if ze's asleep again, and comm Amarath to let her know ze's awake.
  • Squall fell asleep again. Amarath shows up quickly after you call, and she takes zir other hand.

How long do you stay there before you go get sleep? Dawn will come soon, and you need some rest.

Once Amarath arrives, I will kiss Squall on the forehead, then make my way back to the quarters that I was assigned. I lie down until someone interrupts me, but I'm not sure how much sleep I'll get.
  • You're woken by a loud knock at the outside of your room. It's Captain Harsol.

Harsol-header
    "Captain Vos," Harsol says. It's early in the morning. "Come eat with Cratala and me."

I jump to. "Can I have five minutes to wash my face and change my underwear?"
  • Harsol gives you whatever time you need to be ready. When you emerge from your hut, he's there in a different set of clothes than yesterday, He walks briskly to the large building where he met with you and everyone else before, what Cratala called HQ. On the way, you pass by a group of five small children playing quietly. There weren't many females who survived the crash, a couple generations have happened since the survivors set up Retreat.

Once you arrive at HQ, Cratala is there. She greets you politely. The three of you sit down to have some kind of lizard eggs that have been boiled, along with some fried snake meat. It's not half bad, if a bit gamey. The food keeps all three of you quiet for a bit.

I dig in, protein helping to restore my gumption. I leave the issue of Squall behind, for the moment, with difficulty. "So, where do we go from here?"
  • Cratala eats sparingly while Harsol eats well. He seems to really like the eggs, which have an odd vinegary taste to them. IT-3PO comes walking in as you are finishing the meal. It seems to have some interest in the conversation, hovers around the edge of the low table where you're all seated.

Harsol-header
    "We have a proposal." Captain Harsol says. Cratala looks to him, seems like a united front. "We would like to trade some of Cratala's research with Hontu for supplies and goods..."

Cratala-header
    Cratala interrupts him, "But only if our location remains secret. We would work with your crew exclusively."

"It sounds good in principal. I know Hontu's interested in the tech most of all. Tell me something... Was Sa Naloor ever the treasure ship that people think it was? The stories are pretty amazing."
  • Harsol-header
    Cratala looks away, while Harsol answers, "Cratala is the treasure. I don't know what stories spread, but Palpatine valued her above all other cybernetic researchers in the entire karking galaxy. General Grevious was based off one of her designs. Based. The wonders she's made while we're stuck here with scrap and rot, nothing short of amazing." Harsol says this while looking at her. His tone has some light affection to it, tempered by officer's training and a life of leading people.

"A treasure indeed. We'll need to work out the details, of course, but I'm willing to shake on a deal. Of course, we can't do anything until my engineer is fit to travel. Dr. Cratala, Amarath mentioned that you had suggested you might be able to help?"
  • Cratala-header
    Cratala takes the compliments without any false modesty. To her, it's accurate data. When you ask about Squall and Amarath, Cratala explains, "I can help. I have a cyberarm that would be suitable for your fellow Kiffar crewmate. That would be a very simple affair and I am happy to install it once we have come to an arrangement. As for your engineer, she is surprisingly intelligent, and even with her impaired brain function, I daresay she can continue her duties on your ship." She pauses, then adds, a bit of excitement in her voice, "I can restore her mental capacity, Captain Vos. I can improve her multi-tasking, offer her more direct access to ship functions, communications, even allow her the ability to interface with droids directly. There are many things I can do for her."

Cratala's intensity scares me almost as much as her cyber-nexu did. "I'd like it if I can be there when you talk to Squall about that. It's her choice, of course, but it would be good for me to know what you're offering."
  • Cratala-header
    "Yes, of course." Cratala agrees readily, eager to move forward with the cybernetics discussion, "She is impaired and you are her captain. And friend. I think that is a good idea."

Harsol-header
    "We should talk timelines." Harsol says, changing the subject. "How soon until you are able to leave?"

"We can leave as soon as my crew is fit and rested, and as soon as we've agreed on terms. My First Mate will coordinate loading whatever cargo you're sending, and that can start as soon as you like."
  • Cratala leans over to pull a worn datapad from her woven bag, taps it a couple times, then turns it around to hang to you. The display is a list of cybernetic schematics and white papers, along with copious instructions and side notes. It's probably a decade worth of research.

Cratala-header
    "The manifest of what we would like in return is also on that datapad. If you could transfer it to whatever data crystals you have on board, we'll need the datapad back, of course."

I take a quick peek at the research, knowing in advance that I won't understand what I'm seeing. Then, a much more thorough examination of the manifest follows. Anything out of the ordinary? What's the overall value of the goods, as far as I can estimate?
  • There are a few esoteric tech items that are best found on Core Worlds, a few things that don't exist anymore. All told, this is fair trade, would fit on the Profit Margin, and wouldn't break Hontu's purse.

I nod, after a thoughtful few minutes. "I think I can sell this. Some of these items aren't produced any more, but I'm sure we can find equal or better equivalents." I hold out my hand to shake first Cratala's, then Harsol's.
  • They shake hands with you, and the breakfast meeting seems over. Cratala excuses herself to head to her lab, asking if she can meet with you and Squall before noon. Harsol heads off to check on the wall and organize the hunters for the day. You head back to the crew, just across the open space in the middle of the encampment.

Suddenly, everything around you shakes violently as the rumble of starship engines passes low over the Retreat. Leaves and unsecured items shake and fall to the ground. The people in the encampment look at each other in horror. Some begin to panic and rush to hide or grab their weapons. You catch glimpses of the ship through the tree branches as it crosses the Retreat from the side of the bluff and lands somewhere near the river. As the sound of the engines diminishes, it is replaced with the distinctive, high-pitched squeal of multiple small repulsorlifts.

What do you do?

What do I do? I pull out my blaster as I alert Hosk and Jojee that poodoo is going down, and curse my luck. Twenty years, and someone else finds them right now?
    Over your comms, Hosk says, "That whine? Sounds like speeder bikes to me." He's right, it sounds like the one you and Ahji Dar used on vacation.
    As if anyone needed it, alarm gongs sound from the Retreat’s sentry towers. All of the survivors now brandish some kind of weapon. Some flee in terror, rushing into buildings or diving into previously hidden cellars. Others follow the battle droids to man the walls and sentry towers. Several probe droids descend through the trees, evidently dropped as the ship passed overhead.

Captain Harsol emerges from HQ wearing a blast vest, a helmet, and a bandolier of old grenades. He's trying to figure out the threat, eyes to the sky as he barks out orders to the villagers.

I look for a good spot, preferably with a high enough vantage point that I can get the lay of the land, but close enough to the action that I can engage quickly. I keep my eyes on Harsol, ready to take my cues from him.
  • Harsol-header
    Harsol looks over at you, Ladro, points, then yells, "This is your fault! You led them here!" Suddenly, his face changes as he makes a realization, "No! It's my fault. I should never have brought you here." He levels a blaster at you, screaming, "I should've killed you! Like the others! We would have been safe! We would have been-" The blaster is shaking in his hand, but he is clearly fighting with himself.

What do you do?
  • edited April 2015
    Seems like a good time to get some understanding of just HOW crazy Harsol is.

Read a Person
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 5. Total: 9)
  • How can I get Harsol to stop ranting and focus on the actual threat?
  • He isn't beyond hope. You can talk him down by reasoning with him, distracting him, or reminding him of his duties to protect the survivors.

Once you get past that, he'll direct his anger to the attackers.
  • edited April 2015

I use the same tone I've developed to snap Amarath out of one of her contrary moods. "Captain, you need to focus on the actual threat, which is not me. These people need you to direct them against them." I stab my finger up toward the sound of the ship."
  • Harsol-header
    It just takes a moment for Harsol to collect himself. He calls up to the lookout tower, "What do you see?"

The middle-aged woman at the tower calls back, "They've got stormtroopers on those speeder bikes coming our way!" Harsol grits his teeth in anger.

What do you do?

I shout over my comms. "Hosk, Jojee, move your heinies. Amy, report on Squally, make sure she's secure, then grab your weapon and get out here, we've got Stormtroopers incoming. Assemble on me, the rise next to the lookout tower."

I prime myself for action, ready to take on any Imperials that show their faces. Or helmets. Whatever.
  • The crew checks in, Hosk and Jojee joining you as the first salvos of blaster fire is exchanged between the speeder bikes and the guards in towers. The bike zoom past, continuing on a strafing run.

You spot Cratala as she emerges from her lab wearing a backpack and carrying a blaster pistol. She races to the nexy cages and locks herself inside one of the access enclosures. She stands near the gate latch that can open the nexu cage into the Retreat, unleashing them.

Is everyone here crazy? Cratala's already admitted that control of the nexu, including the enhanced ones, is a crap shoot. I let her hole up for now, but if it looks like she's about to release the hounds, I will take action to prevent it. Unless... "Captain, how confident are you in the cyber-nexu's ability to choose targets?" I know it's a long shot, getting a rational answer when his blood's up, but it's worth a try.
  • Let's see how you Apply Leverage on Harsol here.
  • Apply Leverage

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 14)
  • Harsol-header
    Captain Harsol snaps back, "I'm not. Cratala, get the hell out here! We are getting you off planet!" He looks to you, "Aren't we, Captain Vos?"

At that moment, the western gate comes under heavy fire. The bits of thatch and trees start cracking from the force of the turbo lasers from the speeder bikes. They zoom off again, coming around soon for another pass.

What do you do?

With a look to Captain Harsol, I start giving orders to my crew. "Amy, Hosk, go. Get Squall and meet me by the nexu cages. Move fast. Jojee, stick with me." I move toward the cages at a jog and meet Cratala's eyes through the bars. "Come with me if you want to live."
  • edited April 2015
    Jojee
    "What's she doing with those cats, Cap?" Jojee asks as she follows you over.

Cratala-header
    "My cybernexu will protect me!" Cratala says nervously, her eyes looking at you, then Jojee.

Jojee
    Jojee yells at her through the bars, "Why don't you let them outside the walls after we sneak you out?"

I'll call that leverage if you want to Appy It to convince Cratala to trust you and try to escape. If you get a 10+, take a +1 on any rolls to escape.
  • Applying Leverage

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 5)
  • edited April 2015
    Cratala's eyes are wide, a bit manic. You and Jojee try to talk sense to her, but she is terrified of the Empire, screaming that she'll never become the Emperor's slave. She reaches for the latch to let the cybernexu into the pen with her, but suddenly, a stun blast flies past you, hitting the Arkanian, sending her to the ground.

You look back to see Amy pushing a small repulsorskiff with Squall on it. Hosk is right by them, his rifle in hand.

Hosk grumbles, "She was getting annoying." Several of cybernexu yowl and hiss, angered by watching Cratala fall to the ground. They pace back and forth, watching Hosk like he has become prey.

Amarath-header
    Amarath points to the cages, "Cap! There's a door through those cages to the outside, if we want to stun those nexu and push through!"
  • edited April 2015

"Do it." I indicate that Hosk should stun both types of creatures and get a proper angle to blast the lock myself so we can load Cratala on the repulsorskiff with Squall. As soon as it's safe, I lead the way to the exit to the jungle.