[SWAW] The Big Score (22)

Comments

A memory, for sure. "Worn out and sore, but a little jazzed, if you want the truth. We did good, yeah?" After a second to think, "Sure didn't make any friends, though, and that crew will definitely know we're headed for 'their' score."
    Hosk grins, "Yeah. I say bring 'em on. I prefer a fight to a bunch of running around." He chuckles a little, nodding his shaggy head. "Amy's arm is pretty bad off, if I heard her right."

I nod. "Saw the hit. She's my next stop. I hope we have what we need to make her right. It's bad enough relying on my own arms, I can't imagine what it would be like to have something like that attached and not working." I give my old friend a look. "Need anything before I go?"
    Hosk shakes his head, "A promise that we get stupid drunk with the payday off this, that's all."

I assume you head in to find Amy? She's in the workshop with Squall. Squall's fussing over her arm, which looks karked. It's a miracle she held on to anything with the exposed wires and slagged metal. They both look up when you come in.

Ouch. That looks really bad. "Amy, you did great work back there. What's the prognosis on your arm?"
  • Amarath-header
    In a level tone, Amarath answers, "It's barely functional. Good news? Doesn't hurt. But I'm a one-armed bandit for a while..."

Squall interrupts, "No, I can fix it, I can. Just, uhm, not with what we have on hand. But I can do it, Amy. I'll fix it, Captain."

Amarath-header
    Amarath pulls her cyberarm away, "I didn't say you wouldn't, Squally, but we don't have time for that. Right, Cap? We need to get to that karking planet and get the haul. I can make it." She nods, face determined.

I respect that determination. "Squall, I'm sorry, but Amy's right. Do what you can to make sure things don't get worse, and we'll make sure to take care of the arm properly once we've been paid." I step forward to put my hand on Amy's flesh shoulder. "Amarath, even with one arm there's no one I'd rather have on this crew. We'll get the job done."
  • Amarath looks at you, saying nothing. She swallows once, then nods. Her left eye looks a little glassy. Squall grins, proud of her, and you.

On to business. "Squall, what's the status on IT-3P0?" Hope the news is good.
    Squall's eyes widen as ze turns to answer you, "That little guy is in great shape! Blew out a couple fuses when they zapped him, but I had some of those laying around. He's due a tune-up, poor guy's been running solid for forty years. Never had a memory wipe, can you believe it? He's up front talking to Jojee." Ze looks at you, for a moment, eyes serious, "Are you alright, Captain?"

I shrug, which of course makes me wince. "I've been worse. A little time will take care of it, I'm sure... I should finish my rounds, if you don't need anything else right now?"
    "No sir. We're good. I mean... I'm fine. I wish Amy's arm was better. We could just make a quick stopover, you know? Like a few hours and I could probably find the parts I need at a depot."

Amarath-header
    Amarath growls past Squall, "No! Ignore her, Cap! We can't afford the time, those karking Rodians are headed the same direction."

"Thanks, Squall, but the decision's made. We have to press on." With a regretful smile, I leave and make my way to join Jojee and IT-3P0 in the cockpit.
  • You head up to the cockpit to find IT-3PO standing behind your chair, listening to Jojee give it a rundown of the controls and settings for the ship.

This is IT-3PO, or Eyetee:
    photo IT-3PO_zpsgjrughua.jpg
    It turns to you, "Greetings Captain. I am IT-3PO. I understand my owner wishes me to work with you. How may I best serve you?" He has that effete tone of politeness endemic to his model.

I'm tired. And hurting. And, despite Squall's enthusiasm, protocol droids have always rubbed me the wrong way, somehow. "For the moment, EyeTee, I need to talk with my pilot. But Hontu... is he your owner, by the way?... indicated that you might have experience that will help us in this mission. I'd like to talk to you in a few minutes."

I look at the settings on the console. "So, we've made the 'camouflage' jump? Do you have the calculations to get us to our target, Jo?"
  • edited March 2015
    IT-3PO-header
    It answers politely, "I am Ropok's property, and since he is dead, I now server Hontu and his sister Shira. I will await your availability."

Jojee
    Jojee nods, "Aye aye, Cap. Did the junk jump and the new coordinates are in and locked. Want to hit the button and get us moving?"

I push the button. "Thanks, Jojee. By the way... have you ever picked up passengers in pure vacuum before? That was amazing work. I owe you my life."
  • The Profit Margin leaps into hyperspace. The stars streak by and she hums along.

Jojee
    "I had to save Pem that way once. He was caught cheating at sabacc with some Weequay. At their den. Which was located on an asteroid. This? It was soooo much easier. They weren't even shooting at us."
  • edited March 2015

I chuckle. "Well, I'm glad Pem got caught cheating, then. That was some fancy flying. Like I said, I owe you one."

I take a moment to watch the stars streak past, savoring this moment. What happened on the station was a win. Not an easy win, and there were costs, but definitely a win.
  • Jojee
    Jojee leans back in her chair, grinning like a cat, "Put it on my tab, Cap. Just put it on my tab." She turns her head to look over at you for a second, giggles a little, then gets back to work, her gloating over.

Still amused, I walk up behind Jojee in her chair, plant my hands on her shoulders, and kiss the crown of her head. "It's on the tab, Jo." I turn to EyeTee, "Would you like to have a conversation in my quarters, IT-3P0? Probably a brief one, for the moment... our exit from The Wheel was rather more dramatic than I'd planned on, and I'm a little worn."
  • IT-3PO-header
    EyeTee's eyes flash like a blink, "Yes, of course, Captain. I am at your service." It follows you to your quarters, walking in that slow gait of the protocol droids.

Once we enter my quarters, I'm a little hesitant. I can't offer klava, obviously. "Eye-Tee, is there anything I can offer you? Please make yourself comfortable." I move to the klava setup, to make myself a cup.
  • IT-3PO-header
    The droid holds a hand, palm up, "You are so very kind, Captain. I do not require refreshment. I am perfectly comfortable here. I may avail myself of the proffered oil bath that Engineer Squall mentioned, but that is not a rush."

"Do feel free." I finish making the klava, then sit. "I understand that you are familiar with the Sa Nalor and her captain. I assume you're aware of our mission?"
  • IT-3PO-header
    "I am, Captain." EyeTee answers pleasantly. "You are headed on a salvage mission utilizing the coordinates from the pod that was recently recovered. I am happy to assist you in accessing the ship. I have all of the access codes."

"Thank you, EyeTee. It's a bit early for me to have specific questions, but I'm hoping you can give me some context. Anything you can tell me about the ship or the circumstances that isn't already part of the rumor mill?"
  • IT-3PO-header
    "There are a few things of note that are not popularly known," Eyetee says with a bit of a mysterious air. "First, Captain Harsol was ferrying an Arkanian scientist away from the Empire. Her name was Cratala." It raises a hand, pointing up, "The ISB had a bounty open on the Sa Naloor for eight years. The ISB still has an interest in recovering what they can of Cratala and the ship."

"Recovering what they can of Cratala? Even if she is dead? I understand the ship..."
  • IT-3PO-header
    "Ah yes, her and her work, of course."

"What sort of scientist is... was... Cratala?"
  • IT-3PO-header
    "She was a technology and cybernetics expert."

I nod. "Cybernetics has been mentioned previously. This makes sense. Does the ship have any automated defenses you're aware of? Any 'booby-traps' that won't necessarily be deactivated with your codes? I'm sorry to make this so much of an interrogation, by the way... I'd love to learn more about the whole of your experience, before we part ways."
  • IT-3PO-header
    EyeTee pauses before answering. Its tone is calm, "The ship was Harsol's and he did not allow Cratala to make adjustments to it. I do not anticipate any traps for boobies, sir. My codes are very thorough."

The negative there is good information. EyeTee seems chatty, as most protocol droids are, so I follow the thread for a while. "How was it, working for Hontu's father? The son is an interesting case."
  • edited March 2015
    IT-3PO-header
    "Ropok was a very rebellious soul, for a Hutt." EyeTee relates. "He worked closely with Captain Harsol. I believe he saw vast potential in the technological skills of Cratala."

"And Hontu? His sister? You seem to feel ownership has passed to them. How do they treat you?"
  • IT-3PO-header
    "Shira is not an active owner," EyeTee says with a hint of neglect in his voice. "Hontu is much like his father. They have treated me as well as any owner. I have no legitimate complaints."

"I am glad to hear that." I'm nearly ready for a nap after the exertions of our last few minutes aboard The Wheel, but I take some time to simply chat with EyeTee, trying to get a sense of "who" it is, what its own motivations might be.
  • The droid is long-lived, and very astute. While it claims to be a lowly droid, there is a certain cleverness to it that is interesting. It seems to have opinions on business dealings, and claims to assist Hontu and his sister Shira in some of the operations of their work with IsoTech. It doesn't divulge details, but either it has a higher opinion of its contributions, or Hontu and Shira have no idea what an asset the droid has been.

Or, the droid might know more about what to expect on the planet that it is willing to let on.
  • Read a "Person" (at -1)

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 6. Total: 9)
  • Is EyeTee hiding something from me?
  • It certainly is. It belongs to the Captain, and it suspects he's still alive.

Interesting. The implications of that are complicated. If the Captain's alive, what does that mean for our salvage mission? I won't let on that I've caught this glimpse behind the curtain, for now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future, and talk it over with Hosk. After I've had a nap. Even a half-hour would be good.

I yawn. "EyeTee, it's been lovely talking with you, but I'm afraid I need some recuperation time. Would it be terribly rude for me to ask you to excuse me for an hour or so?"
  • IT-3PO-header
    "Of course, Captain." EyeTee says as it leaves you alone.

How long do you rest? Anything else to do before you come out of hyperspace.

I rest for an hour right now, unless someone needs me in the interim. When I get up, I feel measurably better. I'm still uncertain what to do about EyeTee and its old captain, but I'll mull that on my own. My only real goals before we come out of hyperspace are to talk with Hosk about that issue, and see if Amy wants to do any training with her flesh hand. I'll still need her boots on the ground.
  • You find Hosk in the long-range scanners area. He's running some diagnostics on the sensor array. He looks fresher, too, but you doubt he took a nap.

"Allo, Lad." He eases back in his chair, looking up at you. "Need anything?"

"Interesting insight, want your opinion. I think the droid worked for the Captain of the downed ship, and believes that he's still kicking around on-planet. What do you think that means for us?"
    Hosk's mouth becomes a tight line as he takes that in. "Sounds like our big payday just became a karking rescue mission. Hontu aware of this, you think?"

"I don't believe so. I really think he's looking for a payday. If he knows the captain's alive, he still believes we can recover the goods. You were there in the meeting. What do you think?"
    "No, you're right. If he knew the captain was alive, then he must think that's a payday in itself." Hosk agrees. He peers at you, "Why not torture the droid for the real info?"

"No. I'm not going to torture anyone. Do you really... never mind." I remember Hosk's history, shut my mouth. "Without that, what do we do to prepare? We need this payday."
    Hosk stands up from his chair, ignoring the rest of his work. He faces you, angling up to meet your eyes, "There's a hell of a bounty on this guy. Might be worth rolling him. You know Amy will push for it once she knows the salvage is a bust."
  • edited March 2015

No. "Hontu owns the mortgage on this vessel. We follow the mission until it goes sideways."
  • edited March 2015
    He nods, accepting the order without question. After a moment, he chuckles, "Those nexu sound like even more of a pain, now." He heads back to the chair where he was and sits again.

I shake my head. "I am not looking forward to the nexu, Hosk. Not at all."
    Hosk sits there for a moment, then asks, "Lad, I'd like to chat with you about something important to me. We're on mission, so I understand if you'd rather wait. I wanted to let you know I'd need a few minutes of your time." His tone isn't angry, it's rather serious, if a bit hesitant.

"Hosk, there's no time like the present. We've got time before we come out of hyperspace, so I'd like to hear what you have to say. Should we sit?"
    Hosk gestures to the chair nearest, waits for you to sit, "Alright." He straightens up, like a soldier giving a report, "I realize my first mission running the ship went south, but I want to know what you'd like to see from a First Mate, and what you'd need from me to be able to trust me to fill that role."

He clears his throat, "I'm your best candidate, and the more we get in deep here, the more you'll need someone to fill the role of kicking the crew's ass into gear when you've got other priorities, someone to run the ship when you're away, or off shift, someone to take on a back-up role for you. That's been me in times past, before there was a crew, you know? But this is a crew, so I realize it changes the mindset. That's why I want to learn what you need, and be that."

I listen, not particularly surprised to be having this conversation. "That's fair, and it's time for us to have this conversation. You're right, you're my best candidate and we do need to establish some structure here. Why don't we start with me turning it around. What do you think a First Mate's 'job description' should include?"
    Hosk rattles off chapter and verse on this, probably from some handbook, maybe several, "The first mate is responsible to the Captain for the safety and security of the ship. Responsibilities include the crew's welfare and training in areas such as safety, firefighting, search and rescue.."

He continues, "As cargo officer, a first mate oversees the loading, stowage, securing and unloading of cargoes. Moreover the first mate is accountable for the care of cargo during the voyage. This includes a general responsibility for the ship's stability and special care for cargoes that are dangerous, hazardous or harmful."

Hosk brings it to a close with, "A first mate normally will stand a "4-8" watch: from 4 AM until 8 AM and 4 PM until 8 PM. On watch, the mate must enforce all applicable regulations. In port, the watch focuses on duties such as cargo operations, fire and security watches, monitoring communications and the anchor or mooring lines."

"That's good, but not quite what I'm looking for. We're not a military unit, even though we're doing Rebellion jobs more and more often." I pause to compose my thoughts. "We don't have regs, Hosk. What do you think the job entails? What do I lack that you bring to the table? That may not be in a book, but it's got to be considered, right? Say what you like, I'm not going to hold it against you."
    The request for candor gives Hosk a moment of pause. He seems ready to speak his mind (big surprise), but he's trying to ensure he approaches this with caution. "I think you're a great captain, Lad. You care about each of us, and you expect the best from us. You've chosen, for the most part, a crew of hard workers who want to do their best work. That's helped us become a successful crew." While the first bit is complimentary, it seems genuine.

"As a first mate, I'll have the authority to continue doing what I've been doing. Watching over the cargo, making sure the crew keeps motivated, answering questions about the work when you're busy or otherwise detained. The day-to-day. But, I'll also have your backing to train these kids on how to handle work outside their area of expertise so we're more cross-functional. Did you know Squall has no clue how to dock the ship? Did you know Amy, despite all her time in the Engine Room, can't swap out out the repulsor drives? Did you know Jojee refuses to clean the head? I've been filling in the cracks, and I don't mind it. I know this ship as well as I knew any other before, and she's a piece of beauty. But this crew is a bunch of karking silos."

He clears his throat, seems like he's about to stand up, but doesn't. "Also, we don't have regs, not in an official manner. But we should. Common groundwork, the kind of expectations that any merchant flying vessel would have. Nothing too harsh, but... a kind of framework of expectations. Right now, we're like a family of Toydarians running a restaurant. We all know our little job and it gets done mostly because we don't want to fall out of the sky and nobody wants to yell at each other." He chuckles, that was a bit of a joke, you think. Then, he looks at you, putting a bit of a salesman tone to his voice, "Think about how well we all snap to when you give us direct, executable orders. In all my years, this crew is one of the best teams when we're all headed the same direction. I love it, Lad. I really do. We can work that way more often, if we had some structure. As first mate, it would be my job to keep that moving forward. You can be the captain, thinking of the overarching goals, keeping finances in order, scoping out the mission, not down here among the crew, doling out every single task, or taking it on faith that we're doing what we should."

I raise an eyebrow. "Thought about this some, have you?" I lean back in the chair, drum my fingers on my thighs while I think for a moment. "I've had a lot of these ideas myself, Hosk. We are too stovepiped and too loose, and you're the right person to help move us from being a great bunch of crewmembers into being a really great crew." I look Hosk in the eye, lean forward. "I'm a little worried about Jojee's reaction, but I think you can help. She's always talked about wanting her own ship one day, but she hasn't tried to get involved in any of the work that's important to learning how to actually run a ship, not just pilot it." I check in to see if he's following. "So that will be your first challenge. Get Jojee involved in the work-work—finding cargoes, evaluating gigs, provisioning the ship."

I lean back again. "Might as well make this official soon. I'll call a meeting before we come out of hyperspace."
    Hosk listens to you, nods once, "I'll help Jo along. I think she'll end up running a ship, but not a crew, eventually. I'll angle for that." He stands back up, walks over to offer you his hand, "Thanks, Lad. There's no other captain alive I'd rather serve."
  • edited March 2015

I stand as well, take his hand in a firm grip. "That means a lot to me, Hosk. I'm going to take a little while to think about my approach to this meeting, but we'll have it soon. You should be ready to help me field any questions or objections."
    "I'll draft some loose regs we can put in place and clearly define my role for them, what I cannot do, especially. Amy and Jo will be the sticky parts. I can wait for your announcement, of course."

"Shoot me a copy once you're done, and I'll call the meeting after I've read it over. I'm going to preemptively veto uniforms, just so you know." I smile at my own joke.
    For a brief moment, Hosk actually frowns a little. Then he grins, "Alright. Thanks again, Captain."

"You're welcome, Hosk. It's the right choice, thanks for helping me make it. I'll let you get to work."
  • You head out and Hosk returns to calibrations. There's an obvious excitement about him, his ears are more perky. Are you headed anywhere else on the ship in particular?

Nowhere in particular. I'm just wandering, thinking about that conversation. This is an important moment, and it's up to me to handle it just right. At some point, I'm sure I fetch up in the galley, grab a spicy snack from the autochef.
  • edited March 2015
    You're eating a bowl of some Mustafaran hot dish when Amarath comes in. Her cyberarm has been completely removed, and the loose tank top she's wearing shows the implants in her right shoulder where it affixes. The surface is a dull gray, like a void where you remember the young Amy had an arm.

She heads to the autochef to grab a tube of food paste and a holds it in her mouth while pouring herself a glass of water. She comes over to sit beside you.

photo Amarath-new-headshot
    Amy sits down, dropping the tube of food paste onto the table, then takes a drink of her water. "Hey Ladro. How are ya?" She pops the cap off the tube and squeezes the bottom to push some of the food out the end, holding it up over her mouth for it to glop down. The stuff is greenish with flecks of color. She holds it in her mouth for a moment before washing it down.

"Not much worse for wear. How are you adjusting?"
  • photo Amarath-new-headshot
    Amarath looks down at her shoulder, "Blast it, Ladro, I'll be fine. Squall's got zir panties in a bunch for.nothing. That's my fifth arm. Well... sixth if you count the factory model." Amy chuckles and squeezes more paste into her mouth.

Without swallowing the paste, she continues talking, "I only picked that one up.for the hidden compartments and ability for attachments. " She swallows the rest and gulps down some water.

"Do you have your next model picked out, Amy? Anything special you're looking for?"
    Amarath gives you a lop-sided grin, "Oh, Ladro, if creds were flowing, I'd custom order an IEC Advanced limb module, slap on an Arasaka Neotech ToolHand, then slide in a Tritech sensor suite. Squally wants me to get one that's cosmetic, says I'd be happier if I, you know, fit in. Me? I liked my clunker. Made me look badass. Plus... armor plating."

"Did I fill you in on the details on this run? 10K creds going in, plus either another ten or a payment-and-interest free year on the ship. Up to triple the bonus, if the take is as good as Hontu thinks it will be. We may be able to swing you whatever you want."
    Amarath's eyes widen a bit at the talk of the payday, "Kark me, Ladro, that's a good haul! We've gotta pull this off, man. I want those creds.... anything you need from me?"
  • edited March 2015

I smile. "A few things. One, don't be complacent. If you need to do some training with your flesh arm over the time between now and when we land, do it. I'll be glad to help. Two, there's a chance that the captain of the ship we're recovering may still be alive. Yes, there's a huge bounty out on him, but I'm not double-crossing a Hutt. If that turns out to be true, I need you to hold steady for me. Put the ship and the crew and, frankly, me before your bounty-hunter instincts, give me the chance to make my decisions." I pause, not sure what else to say. "And truth? There's a third thing. We're going to be having a meeting soon. Keep an open mind when we do."
    After taking a long drink of water and another gulp of the paste, she says, "Kark me, Ladro, you should give me some credit. We're... well, we're family now, right? I'm not going to mess this up for a bounty! I'd end up crossing a Hutt, I'd lose this ship and the best piece of ass in this sector." She chuckles and reaches over to slap your arm.

She narrows her eyes after a moment, then asks, "The third thing? What's going on?"

Truthfully, I shouldn't have said anything. "Just trust me, please. We are family." Not thinking about Squally being the best piece of ass in the sector.
    Amarath flashes a bright smile, "We're the best kind of family. We don't have to lie to each other or anything!" She arches a brow, "Cousin Ladro, you mentioned the third because you want to tell me. So stop kriffing dancing around and tell me what's up. I've got your back."

"Okay. Mouth shut, especially with Jojee. We need to establish some structure, especially if we get a year or two without payments. I'm going to make Hosk first mate, officially. He's been with me the longest, and he's got the experience in a command structure. I don't want anyone to think that denigrates their own skills or experience. Can you help me with that? Do you have my back?"
    Amy purses her lips, thinking. She waves a hand, "I've got your back, cousin. Sooooo, what's my job? Head of Security? Squall-kriffing? " She laughs at that. "Just kidding, I do that last one for free."

I chuckle. "I know you've got Squall covered. I was thinking Head of Security. Any idea how I can soften the blow for Jo? She's never shown much interest in anything besides piloting, but she wants to run a ship some day." Trusting that Amarath will take this as an honest request for advice.
    The revelation about first mate makes Amy's jaw drop open a little. "Oh, poodoo, man. Soften the blow? No can do. You announce that in front of her, in front of the crew, no warning? There will be a scene."

She licks her lips, then says, "Listen, Ladro. Jo and I have been drinking buddies for months. I may seem like I don't, you know, get people, but I know Jojee. She needs to know ahead of time. She needs to hear the whys, like how Hosk is more experienced, more organized, actually knows the ship in and out, knows cargo, how to get work, basically all the stuff she's ignored so she can be a pretty little pilot. You tell her, let her stew, then announce it. If she makes a scene then.... well, then she's the bitch."

After a moment, Amy offers, "I'll chat with her, if you want."
  • edited March 2015

I give Amarath a look, a bit surprised at her insight. "No, I've got it, Amy. I'll talk to her now." This is not going to be a fun chat.
    "Sure thing, Ladro. Probably best that she hear it from you. And, for the record, I think you made the right choice. Even if Jojee's much, much hotter." Amarath chuckles, then mouths the words 'much hotter' again.

I agree with that, of course, and I'm sure it shows. Still, "Well, no time like the present, right? Might as well do this now. Forward momentum."
    She stands up out of her chair, "Want me to take over flying for Jojee? Would be smart to get her in a neutral spot."

I nod. "I'll give you a call. We're in hyperspace with the calculations locked in. She's probably dozing anyway, waiting for an alarm that won't happen. Be ready in five." I pat Amy on the shoulder as I stand and leave for the cockpit. "Wish me luck?"

As I walk those steps, I reflect on the fact that I'm following Amarath Shade's (I know, I know, not any more) advice on how to deal with a personnel issue. The galaxy is surprising, if not miraculous. As I move past the threshold into the cockpit, I say, "Hey, Jo, got a minute? I could use a chat with you in my quarters."
  • Amarath nods, even wishes you luck, saying you'll need it.

Jojee
    Jojee was slumped back in her pilot's chair, half-awake when you come in. She starts when you call her name and sits up, "The what? Oh... hey Captain. Uhm, sure." She wipes at her mouth with the back of her hand and struggles to get out of her chair, a bit groggy. She follows you to your quarters, hanging near the entrance, not taking a seat, a look of uncertainty on her face.

"What's up?"
  • edited March 2015

"Have a seat, Jo." I wait for her to comply, then sit myself. There's an internal debate about how fast to rip off the bandage, and an equal debate about the fact that Jojee isn't a fragile flower to be preserved or protected. "We've got opportunities to pursue, especially if we pull this job off. Some of them involve doing work for the Rebellion. I feel like we need to tighten up our operations, our chain of command. I'm appointing Hosk as First Mate." I hold a hand up to forestall reaction for just a moment. "I know you want your own ship at some point. He and I will both work with you to make sure you learn the skills to make that work. But for the moment, Hosk is the right choice. We're not a military unit, but we need to be able to be one, when circumstances call for it." I give Jojee a weak smile. "You're the best karking pilot I know, Jo, and there's no one else I want at the helm when my space heinie is in vacuum and praying for atmosphere."
  • edited March 2015
    That woke her up.

She sits bolt upright when you drop it on her, hands gripping the armrests and her face showing anger.

Jojee
    Her voice rising, Jojee blurts out, "I don't get it, Ladro. I just saved your space heinie. And the last time Hosk tried to run this ship, a quarter of her ended up in space. We were down for a month! We lost credits, all of us. You especially! So, is it because he's old? Because he's mean? ... or is it because I drink when I'm off duty? Because that has NEVER affected my flying." She stands up, one foot turned towards the door, but she hasn't moved that way yet.

What do you do?

I'm ready for this, or at least I hope I am. "Jojee, if I was... captured by the Imperials, say... who would you turn to for a plan? If I was injured and recuperating for two months, would you know what to do to keep the operation afloat? You're the best pilot I know, but be honest with yourself and me. Are you ready for command? I want to give you that opportunity, and I can't do it by myself. Between Hosk and I, we can teach you everything you need beyond flying. Let me do that for you."
  • That gives Jojee pause. The directness of the question about her readiness for command, followed by the offer.

While she simmers for a moment, I think you're Applying Leverage here. Let's see how this shakes out.
  • Applying Leverage

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 10)
  • Jojee
    Jojee huffs out a breath, her shoulders slump a little. "He's getting the nice quarters, too, right?" She quirks a frown, "Poodoo. Cap, I work really hard, you know? I'm never going to get my own ship at this rate. Blast it. I'm stuck." She crosses her arms, slumping in her chair a bit. She's not fighting you now, at least.

What do you do?

"Jojee, pardon me for being blunt, but the only reason you've ever been stuck is because you kriffing tell yourself that you are. You know that I know you work hard. You know that I love you. Here's the thing... as far as I'm concerned, if you don't wind up at the helm of your own ship someday, then I am a failure. It's my job to make sure that my people accomplish what they want, not just to make sure that you do what I want." I give her a second for that to sink in. "And if I kriffing fail at getting you a ship of your own because you quit trying, then I'm going to kick your space heinie from her to Coruscant."